Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

God damnit. Sun Ce got stolen off by Liu Dai via marriage somehow. He offered his faction heir daughter to my faction heir son (sun ce). How the gently caress does that not mean that she comes over to my faction rather than he goes over there? Sorry son, you just got married off to be the bitch, sorry about your inheritance.

While loving around with the diplomacy options last night, I discovered there’s a difference between requesting marriage and offering marriage. The fine text says who is joining who’s faction. I almost gave away my heir last night too.

The UI is crazy dense in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

golem_ii posted:

Sega were less than useless, I got mine by PMing Grace_CA on Reddit.

Yeah, they told me to contact the retailer. Took a quick Facebook message to get my code, so there's that at least.

Restarted a campaign as Kong Rong, tried taking over the peninsula to secure my back and Liu Bei immediately took my land borders so that I couldn't get any trade monopolies :saddowns:

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
New recruitment system is good because it means the AI can recruit armies.

Now will I end up getting bored of fighting AI with sensible balanced armies instead of complete craziness?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Theswarms posted:

New recruitment system is good because it means the AI can recruit armies.

Now will I end up getting bored of fighting AI with sensible balanced armies instead of complete craziness?

Recruitment being decoupled entirely from buildings is so enormously liberating and means that I don't have to waste 20 turns shlepping my leader across the entire map to get to the Good Recruits Province or pay 50000 gold and wait double time for global recruitment(that doesn't even give me the bonuses from the Good Recruits Province) to refill an army after a tough battle.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Wow, the AI actually accepted an offer to withdrawal from a city I was besieging.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
In my heart I know the answer already but...

Did they bring back the adhoc option to allow human multiplayer people to take over AI for single player battles? You know that perfect system they had for replacing their idiot AI in Napoleon (that was dropped from every following TW game)?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The dual animations are cool. its a shame about everything else

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

StabMasterArson posted:

The dual animations are cool. its a shame about everything else

When did they add dual wielding?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

About the diplomacy layer in this game:

If you're used to Warhammer's AI behavior, throw that knowledge out the window. It's actually possible to make enemies into friends in this one because people don't hold grudges for 50000 years and you can actually see what they want. In my Cao Cao campaign I got sucked into a giant hellwar with Liu Biao that only ended once I crushed two stacks and burnt a commandery capital, which, well, you'd think that he'd hate me forever for that. I spent the next 5 turns buttering him up with food and a couple bribes and now he's a great friend who is a valuable trade partner and wants to join my coalition.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Kanos posted:

About the diplomacy layer in this game:

If you're used to Warhammer's AI behavior, throw that knowledge out the window. It's actually possible to make enemies into friends in this one because people don't hold grudges for 50000 years and you can actually see what they want. In my Cao Cao campaign I got sucked into a giant hellwar with Liu Biao that only ended once I crushed two stacks and burnt a commandery capital, which, well, you'd think that he'd hate me forever for that. I spent the next 5 turns buttering him up with food and a couple bribes and now he's a great friend who is a valuable trade partner and wants to join my coalition.

You completed his set of pottery bulls.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's a bit of a shame the diplomacy for the yellow turbans is so basic. It makes sense on one hand but otoh i should be able to persuade people to embrace daoist communism.

Theyr an interesting faction, they get a trad research tree but no family stuff or ability to convert captured generals which is pretty lame imo.

Their healer and scholar types have some strong rear end abilities such as regen and a huge aoe heal for generals but are fairly flimsy, though scholars are pretty decent in duels but both can only recruit peasant units.
The veteran type is what it's all about imo, they get surprisingly heavy units and they trash units and are quite strong duellists.

Their high end units are basically only recruited for veterans and are all small sized elite units which is not what I expected, but they have some powerful abilities and morale effects.

I'm actually finding my Gong Du campaign easier than Liu Bei since my Western flank is totally encircled by mountains so I've been fighting minor powers, though huge coalitions are now starting to reach the imperial capital on my border and its probably only a matter of time before a Great War starts against me.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I like how public order has become a really serious thing for first time since.. Rome 1? Maybe even more. Population is important, and good PO gives population increase, so finally it's more than a rebellion spawn at -100.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Might not be the thread for this but whats the consensus on best ROTK game? XI?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

StabMasterArson posted:

I really like 13. Barring that, 9.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I'm bad at RTS games and can't win a (siege) fight on easy which should be a 'close victory'.

How do I 'git gud'?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How killy is the game. Is it Warhammer style "I'll hit you a thousand times but models only start dropping once the unit health bar is minimal" or is it Shogun/Attila style "you have a pointy thing sticking out of your head, that means you die"?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

cheesetriangles posted:

Playing as Cao Cao Liu Bei agreed to be my vassal as long as I didn't annex him. So I immediately annexed him. It was a -80 treachery penalty but he was basically equal strength to me when he agreed to be a vassal and increased my holdings by like almost double. Completely worth the backstabbing penalty.

This is P much the most 3 kingdoms thing ever.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

VolticSurge posted:

So, I impulse-purchased Three Kingdoms because I am a big fan of that historical period but I have never played a Total War game before. Any beginner tips?

The pause button is there for a reason. Use it while you're learning how to do the battles.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I'm bad at RTS games and can't win a (siege) fight on easy which should be a 'close victory'.

How do I 'git gud'?

Quick save is also a major feature: keep replaying that siege until you get it right. Otherwise you can hold the siege and starve out the defenders to improve your odds.

But like Dark Souls you git gud by bashing your head against the city walls until they break.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
if you've lost, does "rematch" just reload the quick save before the battle?

i'm used to save-scumming

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Should I be trying to match up my officers with troops that match their type, or does that matter so much?

I'm considering upping the difficulty. As it stands, my cavalry is wiping entire armies before my foot even shows up.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Scott Forstall posted:

if you've lost, does "rematch" just reload the quick save before the battle?

i'm used to save-scumming

Yes.

One of the best new features.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

How do I 'git gud'?

Sieges are a lot more swingy then the magical bar suggests. If you make a shitload of holes in the wall for example you're going to have a dramatically easier time, as it gradually turns more into a field battle - particularly given the enemy troops are probably understrength from starvation. It'll still probably say close.

If you only have the gates open by some traitorous rear end in a top hat or a battering ram or etc you're going to have a bad time, as it'll be very chokey and towers in particular punch waaaay above their weightclass.

Autism Sneaks posted:

as someone who kept bouncing off Shogun 2 (one day I will get to you, Rise/Fall of the Samurai) but loved the Warhammer entries, is 3 Kingdoms a week-one buy or should I wait for the first sale?

Shogun 2 is a fairly wooden game, with an equally wooden campaign but great unit diversity with very iconic roles. It's still on the slow side, mostly because it's a ten someodd year old engine at this point what can you do. Chinagame is on a new engine, with an excellent campaign although less iconic units then Warham or Shogun. Battles are incredibly boring in comparison to Warhammer, but it turns out historical humans are pretty boring in comparison to a rat swarm with miniguns and so on.

It's a good game. If you love Warhammer cuz of the crazy battles then you'll probably want to wait for a sale.

ps play fots now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Arcsquad12 posted:

How killy is the game. Is it Warhammer style "I'll hit you a thousand times but models only start dropping once the unit health bar is minimal" or is it Shogun/Attila style "you have a pointy thing sticking out of your head, that means you die"?

I've been playing on records mode so it might be different in romance, but records is definitely Shogun/Attila style.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shogun style, except heroes that have visible health bars. For example one salvo of lovely archers against lovely infantry will drop 3 peeps instantly, while you needed 3-4 salvos in Warhams. In my limited experience the only rout where I suffered no casualties was when I duelled enemy lord and the army broke when he fell. Even 2 lovely spears and 1 lovely archers against 9 units including cav will end with 30 casualties on your side or something similar.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Devorum posted:

Should I be trying to match up my officers with troops that match their type, or does that matter so much?

Yeah I'm wondering this too. Currently I have Cao Cao and Xiahou Yuan anchoring my front lines while Xiahou Dun leads the cavalry but maybe the Xiahou cousins should be swapped?

EDIT: now that I say that out loud they absolutely should be even if the units didn't matter, Yuan gets an insane charge bonus as his special ability and Dun should be as close to the front as possible so he can hunt down and kill enemy officers

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 24, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah I'm wondering this too. Currently I have Cao Cao and Xiahou Yuan anchoring my front lines while Xiahou Dun leads the cavalry but maybe the Xiahou cousins should be swapped?

I only played for a couple hours so far but it depends on what buffs the general gives. If you have a specific skill that does nice things for a specific unit type they go heavy in that, otherwise I get what I need plus the unique units each class gets.

The exception to this is strategists, who's sky high cunning can double the amount of ammo your units get so Im gonna stack crossbows and trebs for days on them.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

StabMasterArson posted:

For me ROTK X is hands down the pinnacle of the series. I've sunk countless hours into that game with my custom created characters. BTW that's a feature TW:3K should definitely adopt.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a lot closer to Shogun style because the counters in this game are very hard counters. Lancer cav slamming into the back of infantry is going to collapse like 1/3 of the regiment immediately. 4 units of archers shooting at unshielded, unarmored infantry is gonna kill like half the unit in two volleys. The opposite is also true; archers won't do poo poo to dedicated missile counter units, cavalry will explode if they try to charge braced spears, etc.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Kanos posted:

It's a lot closer to Shogun style because the counters in this game are very hard counters. Lancer cav slamming into the back of infantry is going to collapse like 1/3 of the regiment immediately. 4 units of archers shooting at unshielded, unarmored infantry is gonna kill like half the unit in two volleys. The opposite is also true; archers won't do poo poo to dedicated missile counter units, cavalry will explode if they try to charge braced spears, etc.

I learned about the new Charge Reflect mechanic the hard way.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Devorum posted:

I learned about the new Charge Reflect mechanic the hard way.

Yeah, I don't know what else has it but I unlocked Azure Dragon Guards (the super elite glaive/bow infantry) and they have that. My eyebrows might have raised a little bit. 100% damage reflection on charges when they're braced? I imagine most cavalry just vanishes into thin air.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

so far I'm enjoying the battles quite a lot tbh. unit variety is of course lesser but their roles are more obvious and the triple generals and duel stuff is a nice twist

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So you only get one chance to demand a surrender, even if you beat back a sally?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Pretty sure this is now the mapgame with the highest concurrents ever on Steam, having now (by quite a bit) surpassed Civ VI. Seems like a well deserved success for CA.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Reset Smith posted:

For me ROTK X is hands down the pinnacle of the series. I've sunk countless hours into that game with my custom created characters.

It’s too bad that the version on Steam is untranslated because it has some kind of expansion.

Fighting the urge to get this TW game but I can feel my resolve crumbling.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm so glad that delay worked out.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

StabMasterArson posted:

I would say XI is the best. It's certainly the most interesting as a strategy game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How do I stop my allies from "helping" me by encapsulating my territory in a thin layer of vassals without backstabbing them?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
So apparently the release version has a bug where the AI goes on vassalizing sprees, especially the Yuan Shao dude.
The fix for now is to eliminate him asap with extreme prejudice before midgame has a chance to blossom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Reset Smith posted:

For me ROTK X is hands down the pinnacle of the series. I've sunk countless hours into that game with my custom created characters. BTW that's a feature TW:3K should definitely adopt.

I used to feel the exact same way about ROTK X but after spending a bunch of time with 13 and it’s expansion pack I actually think 13 is the best in the series now. It’s got a lot to it. Like, you can become a bandit or even just an assassin that goes around murdering dudes if you want