Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

There's got to be something better than asking for me when you wake up.

Best MoMA post ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mne nravitsya posted:

Brief post:

Had lunch with an ex-designer from the Squadron 42 studio today. But nothing groundbreaking to say other then to continue to confirm what is known

-Endlessly frustrated after a year of everything on that game changing over and over again, leading to all the work needing to be constantly scrapped or reworked. He left in total frustration

-Massive attrition constantly occurring every month

-Liked Erin but said he is a slave to his brothers insanity

-75% of the studios time is pulled to help make assets and movies with the other studios, to sell to whales

-Sandi is a very frightening woman and the studio is told in advance to just sit quietly and act really busy when she would visit. Do not even say hi to her or make eye contact. Its safer to be anonymous. Chris would be a bit more chatty but would talk down to people and handlers would usher him away if you talked for more then a few minutes.

-Did not believe the game was a pure scam at the start, just that it morphed into an unachievable product (because chris) and everyone knows that. Staff is mostly first timers who just need jobs but can’t get hired at better places.

-Chris has some odd shoelace fetish and stopped production, for a few weeks, with a large portion of the art team who needed to make them all scratch again on every boot

-Arena commander was made purely to help whales “believe” and get more funding

- Ex Designer had never heard of Derek Smart. Studio was encouraged to stay out of forums. Especially Reddit

-Did not have to sign any legally binding gag contracts when he left. Was free talk about it if he wanted but just didn’t care enough to talk in forums. Said it was just sad and depressing there and felt bad for the guys who had to remain because of no prospects elsewhere.

-Even with the switch to Lumberyard, the engine is not enough (and probably never will be) to make the MMO game that chris wants - but would be capable of making sq42 if chris ever reigned it into a scope that was possible

-Never provided any design direction to the sq42 team for mechanics or gameplay, And Is perceived as completely uneducated on game development

-Did make one joke at lunch and said “but in the end it will all be okay, because chris will code it”

There’s more but its all just blah blah blah stuff that the forum already knows. It just confirms it again

Depressing, but expected.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

she called me an idiot.

That's like 30% of the duty of a wife, though

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RumRunner_82/status/1131715669232369664

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Is that Rex guy or whatever still doing his streams where he moves the models around in the viewer and pretends he's playing a video game?

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Pixelate posted:

What's the end game for the Calders in that scenario though? 23% of some sweat-discoloured keyboards and a toxic IP doesn't sound like profit.

e: World's best whale list? Baby's first mobile game factory? Sizzle reels for the Sichuan market?

Can you imagine how valuable that whale list will be though? Whoever gets it in the meltdown will lock it up like the NOC list in the original Mission: Impossible movie.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

So high speed low drag they don't even know what BLUFOR means.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

colonelwest posted:

I guess I could click around and figure out what the hell he’s referring to in this weaboo word salad, but I’d like to keep my sanity.
he's shilling a post-workout recovery formula mix that's branded to sell to idiot gamers.

Hav posted:

And for people that remember the thread from the start, "redtube".
:grin:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

Is that Rex guy or whatever still doing his streams where he moves the models around in the viewer and pretends he's playing a video game?

Yes and you can tell by the numbers that it's a big, big hit.
https://www.twitch.tv/rexzilla/clips?filter=clips&range=7d

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

YouTube posted:

Chris Roberts was simply choosing the engine he was going to use. I'm aware of nothing that was used from that concept, because it was literally purely to see if the engine could handle what he wanted to do with it.

Narrator: It couldn't.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

If anyone is curious what mining looks like in Star Citizen these days, here's a good video. Interesting part starts at 13 minutes in. And by interesting I mean it's as dull as watching paint dry.

Some bullet points:
* This is probably the most mechanically advanced single system in the whole game and it is, essentially, Elite's system with extra widgets
* Large parts of the UI are broken or incomprehensible
* The entire process is completely dependent on your ship's ability to hover in a noclip mode. This is one of many reasons they can't actually fix the flight model. Watch him literally spin his ship around like a free cam.
* You can only mine in this one ship, and it costs 180 dollars. You pay three times the price of a full AAA game for this experience.
* In the 16 minutes I watched, he didn't find a single rock worth actually mining.
* Eventually his HUD breaks and he can't even scan the rocks anymore.
* He "Cracks" his first rock at 34:11 and the game just shits itself
* At 45 minutes he just gives up and starts farming worthless trash rocks just to show any kind of actual harvesting
* Star Citizenship should be classified as a mental disability, the kind where you lose control of your financial decisions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwxVSHgv64&t=830s

Watched it hoping to see something that looked passable.

I guess the mechanics for it are ok? The actual action of having do this for as long as it took to find nothing would definitely make me not interested in "playing" it.

I don't mind not getting an instant reward, but you should get something for your troubles. This is how stuff like micro transaction mobile games grab people. You always succeed but it's a variable success.

Also the ship flies very fake. It feels like a camera moving more than anything with any amount of weight to it.

Overall it looks good for like, some indie studio on a shoestring budget. For 200M and 7-8 years of development I'd be feeling pretty pissed. :shrug:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

I guess the mechanics for it are ok? The actual action of having do this for as long as it took to find nothing would definitely make me not interested in "playing" it.

I don't mind not getting an instant reward, but you should get something for your troubles. This is how stuff like micro transaction mobile games grab people. You always succeed but it's a variable success.

Also the ship flies very fake. It feels like a camera moving more than anything with any amount of weight to it.

Overall it looks good for like, some indie studio on a shoestring budget. For 200M and 7-8 years of development I'd be feeling pretty pissed. :shrug:

My god, mining in EVE feels like paradise compared to this.

e: also that mining laser thing looks like a phallus to me.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 24, 2019

downout
Jul 6, 2009

:five:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Why isn't chris Robert's releasing his game? Whatever happened to the legal issues with crytek.

I demand answers. Like. Right nao. While I'm on break. At work. Waiting for answers.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

grimcreaper posted:

Why isn't chris Robert's releasing his game? Whatever happened to the legal issues with crytek.

I demand answers. Like. Right nao. While I'm on break. At work. Waiting for answers.

Chris Roberts defeated everyone including the Goons.
Star Citizen is good.
Star Citizen backers are wholesome.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

chris roberts doesn't have a game

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

What's the end game for the Calders in that scenario though? 23% of some sweat-discoloured keyboards and a toxic IP doesn't sound like profit.

e: World's best whale list? Baby's first mobile game factory? Sizzle reels for the Sichuan market?

I’m entirely not sure, but anything that overvalued has to be a dodge of one type or another; Chris has probably cashed out. The family trust is a vehicle for avoiding tax, but also liability for any one individual as it’s probably in the kids names. The only thing i can think of at the moment is that the Calders think they’re shorting Chris, and Chris just made his nut.

Doubling the value of the company just makes me super drat suspicious because this is all unrealized liability at the moment. The value is in the product, and the product is subpar, -especially- considering that this is for SQ42, the bit of the whole product that doesn’t even touch the fleets that the whales have handed over money to build the value that they’re overestimating.

The ‘marketing budget’ amount appears to be off as well. While it represents around fifth of the total cost, it doesn’t actually seem to be enough to encourage the kind of sales that they need. They’re at GTA V numbers for budget, but they won’t sell anything like the number of copies they’ll need because it’s a loving niche.

Wing commander IV was the most popular game and barely made back its budget of $10 million funbucks, shifting around 350,000 copies worldwide. Prophecy was even worse at around 200,000. And they’re currently targeting this at PC owners, the smallest gaming segment.

Even Elite has struggled to shift more than 3 million units across three platforms, and that’s not only an actual game, but the cost of entry is $50.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

The mechanics are fine, in that they are the same as every other game's mining with some added "Interaction" so you can't afk the bar filling. They're not fine in the sense that they don't actually work, every part is broken and CIG doesn't bother to revisit stuff once it's out.

I don't mind mining being a slog, but the opportunity-cost here is he could have spent an hour flying combat missions, or trading, and made ~100-200k easily. Instead he got barely anything, worth less than 1k credits easily. A single mining mishap from moving a bar into the red would have damaged his ship badly enough to put him in the negative. CIG is like the inverse of the micro-transaction model. You barely ever succeed and when you do it's nothing.

Given that it's literally the only ship that can do it, and it's the flagship of the concept, I'd expect some serious effort put in. But, Star Citizen. They just can't lift the load they've put on themselves.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 24, 2019

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Can you imagine how valuable that whale list will be though? Whoever gets it in the meltdown will lock it up like the NOC list in the original Mission: Impossible movie.

Would that list be of any value though? I mean, most of the whales are only attached both emotionally and financially to SC because of Chris Roberts and not the game part, Miku would and does loving buy anything if he could buy 4 of it.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

They truly only have one joke.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Hav posted:

No, it's more that a valuation of the company at twice the money take raises the value into the realms of 'what were they thinking', and effectively increase the stake in the final reckoning. 10% of $460 Million is 46 Million. If the corporation ends up evaluated at $200 Million, the stake is 23%. I mean, these guys could really believe that it's the next gaming revolution, and that they'll realise Meeeellions from the shipping of a game that the entire installed base _owns_ already, but that's massively naive.

Or there's another vector behind this. Bear in mind that it's not Calder Jr on the board, it's their lawyer.

Edit: If I was a suspicious person, I'd view the dumping of a certain amount of money into a family trust held property as a safe harbor against an exit. Happily, I'm not, so should I just buy one Idris or get a couple for the weekend?

The thing that is often forgotten about this back of the envelop valuations is that they need to be based around actual profits of the company being valuated.

The usual rules of thumb for an extremely well established, leader in its market and solid business with sustainable profits into the medium/long term is that the value of the company should be around the 8-10 times annual profits (not revenue) ball park. If the company is not very established or has tons of competition and depends on extremely skilled management to survive then the valuatiaon may be taken at 2-3 times the profits, if not less.

The thing with CIG is that not only the business is shaky as hell given they have placed zero products in the market so far (see dot com busts) but also do not have any profits (simplifying here to the delta between costs and sales asper their own financials) they are actually in the red. To top it up the management team is just crap aswell.

There is no way in hell a proper investor would value this company at all in the first place at anything but 0 or less. If the Calder´s investment has any element of wisdom in it its returns must have been hard coded in black and white with very specific dates and amounts, irrespective of the actual eventual profit position of the company. The Calders will probably just eat into gross revenue when time is due basically just like a loan would.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Bofast posted:

Bad + alpha = bad alpha.

Did someone say bad alpaca?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1131871234076155904

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 24, 2019

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

I hope a goon attends and applies :eng101:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandweed posted:

They truly only have one joke.

Two actually. Star Citizen and Squadron 42.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Cloud Imperium... good?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MedicineHut posted:

The thing that is often forgotten about this back of the envelop valuations is that they need to be based around actual profits of the company being valuated.

The usual rules of thumb for an extremely well established, leader in its market and solid business with sustainable profits into the medium/long term is that the value of the company should be around the 8-10 times annual profits (not revenue) ball park. If the company is not very established or has tons of competition and depends on extremely skilled management to survive then the valuatiaon may be taken at 2-3 times the profits, if not less.

The thing with CIG is that not only the business is shaky as hell given they have placed zero products in the market so far (see dot com busts) but also do not have any profits (simplifying here to the delta between costs and sales asper their own financials) they are actually in the red. To top it up the management team is just crap aswell.

There is no way in hell a proper investor would value this company at all in the first place at anything but 0 or less. If the Calder´s investment has any element of wisdom in it its returns must have been hard coded in black and white with very specific dates and amounts, irrespective of the actual eventual profit position of the company. The Calders will probably just eat into gross revenue when time is due basically just like a loan would.

Finally - I thought I was the only person who thought this. This is less of an investment and more a gamble on extraordinarily long odds. Which makes me think one of two things happened: either the investors aren't too bright and swallowed the flavor-aid, or they're playing 4D chess against CIG.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

There's been a lot of posts in the past where people don't think other companies or investors would get in with Star Citizen. Given the input from several people in this thread who have experience in the business and have spoken about it, I think there are plenty of people that would be duped into investing more into Star Citizen. Look at a lot of the Kickstarter successes that got more investment money because of how it seems the project/product had garnered a huge interest in the market. I can totally believe Roberts got more than one or two companies (excluding the known one) that are putting money in thinking this will be huge because CIG has accrued $250mil in "pledges". I believe businesses are dumb enough to do this.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Scruffpuff posted:

I think this right here is the nucleus of the issue. I don't know if there's already a word for this fallacy. Chris Roberts didn't use $300m, he burned $300m and has complete poo poo to show for it. His code base is a liability, not an asset. He needs more and more and more money just to make enough money to have nothing. I think Louis C.K. did a skit about this.

Shrach gave a turn on this a few posts up, that was clarifying for me: the 'development' effort is the product in Chris's mind. He's not burning money, he's producing a show with it. Part of that show is standing on the back of a yacht in the Mediterranean.

shrach posted:

Whether they handle it correctly or not in the US, it seems apparent that Chris considers their product to be their development. They are a services company and the service they provide is their development and some of the delivery of that product is the weekly videos. Star Citizen is done, delivered, now in after sales support. People pay Blizzard a subscription to play wow? You pay cig money and they spend it, no difference to him. Sometimes they spend it on Star Citizen, sometimes on Squadron 42.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

There's got to be something better than asking for me when you wake up.

I'm glad your family is dead

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

There's been a lot of posts in the past where people don't think other companies or investors would get in with Star Citizen. Given the input from several people in this thread who have experience in the business and have spoken about it, I think there are plenty of people that would be duped into investing more into Star Citizen. Look at a lot of the Kickstarter successes that got more investment money because of how it seems the project/product had garnered a huge interest in the market. I can totally believe Roberts got more than one or two companies (excluding the known one) that are putting money in thinking this will be huge because CIG has accrued $250mil in "pledges". I believe businesses are dumb enough to do this.

The Calders are using this as a tax break when the eventual write off comes in. They probably realized a large capital gain at some point and have been actively searching for a way to remediate the tax implications. With SC they can claim the loss while probably still getting something off the back of the truck.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Related:

glassdoor posted:

May 22, 2019

Senior Producer Interview
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

— Declined Offer
— Negative Experience
+ Easy Interview

Application
I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cloud Imperium Games (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2019.

Interview
Multiple rounds of interviews, including Skype interview and in-person interviews with the entire team.

Really liked the team and was excited to accept the offer. Received a low offer and countered. After countering, was ghosted. Disappointed at the lack of professionalism from HR and expected more from enough such a large company.

Interview Questions

How would you manage international teams and establish production process?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
how many more days until full Brno kicks off into overdrive

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

how many more days until full Brno kicks off into overdrive

14 days!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Brno comes in July.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1131935886789218304

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

I believe businesses are dumb enough to do this.

Very much this. Private equity firms raised about $750bn globally last year. If this Chris Roberts fella managed to raise $250m over several years with Star Citizen then maybe there is something there worth investing a few quids in. A couple millions is chump change for some of these firms anyway so I don't doubt he could handwave his way through an investor meeting or two if he was short on cash.

Also I rarely post here so I got all warm and fuzzy that y'all adopted "Crobear" as the official name for the bear. (and that emote lmfao :crobear:) The real Star Citizen was this thread all along.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

I read Planet Coaster team.

I need a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak: