Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Ravenfield has a captivating story. There are some people who are different color than you and you must kill them. You find yourself wondering what is the point of this war but then you see one of them again and the color is really, really different.

Troubling themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I recently started playing a small indie game called Astrologaster. You play as a rather crap London doctor during the days of Shakespeare. Your main aim in the game is to actually get a medical license but since you use astrology to determine what ails your patients this is tricky. Basically you make readings of the stars and it's all obviously bullshit. It's very well written and funny and all the voice actors do a great job. Well worth it if you like Sawbones and crazy old medical history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpjyo5lP7Qc

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Vakal posted:

By the looks of it, no one did.

Nosgoth was pretty fun when it was brand new, but then it suffered from roster bloat and imbalance issues that the team just couldn't deal with. Lots of really great moments though.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

the best video game story is mega man legends because it's an excuse to kill giant robots and also a major plot reveal occurs when the main character realizes that he is literate

That game legit loving owns, lots of cool secrets that aren't crazy hard to figure out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

the best video game story is mega man legends because it's an excuse to kill giant robots and also a major plot reveal occurs when the main character realizes that he is literate

It's a running theme in MM that includes the voice actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

RDR2 plays like a game from 2010. The movement is ridiculously slow, and as far as I've played there is no fast travel. The missions are all generic GTA-style "shoot a bunch of guys in waves," and the shooting mechanics are loving garbage. Constant inventory management to boot and the graphics are average at best for a 2018 game. Tapping a button to run, really? The most fun I've had in the game is playing poker. Why the gently caress was this game praised so heavily at release?

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 24, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bradzilla posted:

RDR2 plays like a game from 2010. The movement is ridiculously slow, and as far as I've played there is no fast travel. The missions are all generic GTA-style "shoot a bunch of guys in waves," and the shooting mechanics are loving garbage. Constant inventory management to boot and the graphics are average at best for a 2018 game. Tapping a button to run, really? The most I've had in the game is playing poker. Why the gently caress was this game praised so heavily at release?

It was also a hilariously buggy mess to rival fo76 with all the stupid clips of the game breaking that were in circulation after launch. The answer to your question is marketing and hype

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Oh I forgot to mention that you have to go into the pause menu to access the full map, lmao. The radar style that takes up an 1/8 of the screen is also hilariously outdated.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

bradzilla posted:

RDR2 plays like a game from 2010. The movement is ridiculously slow, and as far as I've played there is no fast travel. The missions are all generic GTA-style "shoot a bunch of guys in waves," and the shooting mechanics are loving garbage. Constant inventory management to boot and the graphics are average at best for a 2018 game. Tapping a button to run, really? The most fun I've had in the game is playing poker. Why the gently caress was this game praised so heavily at release?

i like that during the insane amount development time not one single person said "hey, do we really have to play a 5 second animation every single time you pick up or open something?"

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ASenileAnimal posted:

i like that during the insane amount development time not one single person said "hey, do we really have to play a 5 second animation every single time you pick up or open something?"

they surely did but it's there because it might take 5 seconds for your console to load the textures from the other side of the door. it'll be reduced to 4 seconds on the ps5 edition

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i loved reading all the reviews when RDR2 came out that were like "this game isn't fun at all! it's a huge pain in the rear end to play! jesus christ, it feels awful! all of this adds up to one of the most stunning artistic achievements in video games, which is why i give it a 9.568/10 'Must Buy'"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Unpopular Videogame Opinion: Red Dead Redemption 1 was also not fun and sucked

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

RDR2 is the game of the year and I love it but I just wish there was more gameplay other than just riding a horse through the desert again en route to samey, repetitive quests. did I mention the horse balls? wow what a game

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's a lot like GTA5 if you took away the whole city and all of the people, cars, and activities and just replaced it with a huge empty desert. a bold and innovative design decision

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Red Dead 2 would have been amazing if they'd made it fun to play

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Red Dead 2 would have been amazing if they'd made it fun to play

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i forced myself to plow through just the story missions in rdr2 after getting bored loving around with the hunting and stuff. by the end i was exhausted and just wanted it to be over. got to the "epilogue" part and found out it was like another 10 hours and uninstalled lmao.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

it's a lot like GTA5 if you took away the whole city and all of the people, cars, and activities and just replaced it with a huge empty desert. a bold and innovative design decision

Grand Theft Horse

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Real Dork Reunion 2

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

poverty goat posted:

Also if accidentally bumping into people made your wanted level go up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bradzilla posted:

These are all really common complaints...but average graphics? I guess the character models could be better but the environments look insane.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

rockstar is like bioware in that they have a ton of slavish fans and have done literally nothing to actually deserve those fans in easily a decade

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

three of my favorite things are doin' crimes, dumb RPGs, and stupid space poo poo, and yet i have been completely unable to enjoy a r* or bioware game on any level for ages

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

These are all really common complaints...but average graphics? I guess the character models could be better but the environments look insane.

Eh the environments looks fine but not mindblowing.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

rockstar is like bioware in that they have a ton of slavish fans and have done literally nothing to actually deserve those fans in easily a decade

rockstar deserves more credit than that. the GTA franchise is a masterclass on how to stay on top of your game as a game developer and not become ubisoft or bioware

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

poverty goat posted:

rockstar deserves more credit than that. the GTA franchise is a masterclass on how to stay on top of your game as a game developer and not become ubisoft or bioware

It may not be unpopular, but I concur with this opinion. GTA Online is amazing at this point. And all free

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

shark carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddsssssssssssssssss

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

Tapping a button to run, really?
There's an option that let's you just hold down the button.

bradzilla posted:

Oh I forgot to mention that you have to go into the pause menu to access the full map, lmao.
It's either left or right on the D-pad that takes you straight to the map.

One of my main issues with it is how bad it is at explaining a bunch of the mechanics. Just flashing up a message in one of the corners during a gunfight is utter horseshit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rockstar is top of their game in some regards but woefully bad in others. The worst parts of their games like the controls and mission design seems like sheer stubbornness on their part.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

bradzilla posted:

Oh I forgot to mention that you have to go into the pause menu to access the full map, lmao.
Try holding down Start

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Rockstar is top of their game in some regards but woefully bad in others. The worst parts of their games like the controls and mission design seems like sheer stubbornness on their part.

It's not an unpopular opinion to say that they don't really have much incentive to change.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont mind rockstar style controls that much it just takes some getting used to. i actually liked the driving in gtav

i just started playing a game called american fugitive which is basically a modern take on the original, top down gta but set in the deep south in the 80's, its pretty great so far

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Remember when R* used to make weird experimental games as well.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Dragon age Origins is kinda poo poo in hindsight but it was great the first time

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
de_jeepathon2k was a great counter strike map

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Flannelette posted:

I remember the Table Tennis game they made was pretty awesome, but I'm pretty sure that was a different branch of R*

e: yeah it was R* San Diego who apparantly were "support developers" for R* North on GTAV and RDR2.

fun fact: R* North used to be DMA Design and created Lemmings.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Flannelette posted:

i want an updated State of Emergency
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4fdDgJTUw

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
manhunt was pgood as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bradzilla posted:

well yeah. rdr2 is just rdr with updated graphics and a different character, it is a game from 2010

veni veni veni posted:

didn't the original rdr studio get cannibalized by r* at the end of production? the original team and most of their experience would've been scattered to the seven winds

Chomp8645 posted:

Real Dork Reunion 2

please dont, this world has no need for a Big Bang Theory Reunion Tour

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 24, 2019