Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

One of the tactics mods I remember installing was a Sendai rebalancing. It nerfed a spell that could help counter the bullshit that they set up for her. It was asinine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

scs and wizard chess would work so much better if it was in a gridded turnbased game and not in the absolute clusterfuck that is rtwp adnd

also, the best tob rebalance mod I ever played was a messed up install that crashed me whenever I tried to start the tob campaign.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

scs and wizard chess would work so much better if it was in a gridded turn based game and not in the absolute clusterfuck that is rtwp adnd

also, the best tob rebalance mod I ever played was a messed up install that crashed me whenever I tried to start the tob campaign.

Yeah, in order to "do" SCS with everything turned to max you need to turn on all the pause options and play it as a grid based game. There are still a lot of things you can do that will break SCS over your knee though.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I played through an awful lot of terrible npc mods 15 or so years ago. The only really good npc mod I ever played was Kelsey. Whoever made it seemed to get that what the player generally wants is something to allow you a bit of variety on a replay that otherwise looks pretty seamless with the original game. No odd writing and art that don't match the style. No overtaking of the main story. Just another npc with a few quests and some interactions.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

OrthoTrot posted:

I played through an awful lot of terrible npc mods 15 or so years ago. The only really good npc mod I ever played was Kelsey. Whoever made it seemed to get that what the player generally wants is something to allow you a bit of variety on a replay that otherwise looks pretty seamless with the original game. No odd writing and art that don't match the style. No overtaking of the main story. Just another npc with a few quests and some interactions.

If the voice acting, portrait and starting location were tweaked a little you probably wouldn't realise that it wasn't a mod. It's a shame Keto was never finished.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I have no idea what happened but I was finishing up the next to last level of watchers keep and Neera just disappeared. She is allegedly still alive because scrolling up in the fight text, the last words she says are about her casting a spell, and there’s no death text so I do t think she got chunked. No portrait or anything. How do I get my fun wild mage back?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

I have no idea what happened but I was finishing up the next to last level of watchers keep and Neera just disappeared. She is allegedly still alive because scrolling up in the fight text, the last words she says are about her casting a spell, and there’s no death text so I do t think she got chunked. No portrait or anything. How do I get my fun wild mage back?

That sounds like she got petrified or Imprisoned. Try casting Freedom in the area of your last fight with her - the ninth level mage spell I think.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Ok. Might have to EEKeeper that on someone because I don’t have another mage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Ok. Might have to EEKeeper that on someone because I don’t have another mage.

I think if you put a scroll onto their quick bar anyone can use it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The last playthrough I did with a beta SCS (what a good idea!) had a bug where mages would sometimes spam like 10 "previously cast" Spell Turnings in a row, so any such fight with even a couple mages had to be ended very fast or the game would crash.

I do feel like SCS is about 70% good ideas (and some genuinely nice quality-of-life tweaks too, like, most recently, turning Spell Triggers and Contingencies into innate abilities rather than spells) and about 30% straight up bullshit (which is better than some of the tactics mods that preceded it), and getting the absurdly granular settings tweaked to mitigate the worst of the 30% is a game in and of itself.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I should also say I really appreciated that long write up on the history of bg mods. It was an incredibly nostalgic trip. I remember being a spotty University student with terrible taste and just scrolling through pages on pages of mod descriptions going "well, that looks interesting". The amount of content the community put out back then was completely overwhelming.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Arivia posted:

That sounds like she got petrified or Imprisoned. Try casting Freedom in the area of your last fight with her - the ninth level mage spell I think.

Skwirl posted:

I think if you put a scroll onto their quick bar anyone can use it.

These worked, thanks a ton! I don't know why, but Neera was always my favorite spell slinger.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vichan posted:

If the voice acting, portrait and starting location were tweaked a little you probably wouldn't realise that it wasn't a mod. It's a shame Keto was never finished.

Yeah I remember the only downside of the mod was slightly poor quality audio on the voice acting.

Also you would still have realised it was a mod because it was well before bioware were brave enough to put exclusively gay NPCs into their games.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Decided to get NWNEE since it's dirt cheap right now to address the fact I never played it before. Just got done with the Prologue. If I hear the phrase "waterdhavian creatures" one more time :argh:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's the entire first chapter and ending chapter of the 1st chapter.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cigaw posted:

Decided to get NWNEE since it's dirt cheap right now to address the fact I never played it before. Just got done with the Prologue. If I hear the phrase "waterdhavian creatures" one more time :argh:

I like when Aribeth yells “wader DAVE IAN creatures!”

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

cigaw posted:

Shadows of Undrentide does the NWN campaign better than the NWN campaign, plus it leads into Hordes of the Underdark more than the NWN campaign. The original isn't bad, but I heard it got added at the last moment and I can believe it.

I need to pick up the EE, I love NWN but at its current price I really can';t justify the purchase. Can't believe I missed that sale a few weeks ago.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It didn't get added in the last minute as much as it serves as a tutorial for the toolset. Opening the OC in the Aurora toolset includes a lot of hints and pointers in how you set things up like events, trackers, journal entries and special transitions, loot hidden from the player view etc.

It also had an original draft that was kinda interesting, but ultimately ended up not being how the game turned out.

HotU has some of that, but it's still mostly a good module at the same time.

SoU only has a few areas that contain anything of note, but I think the first area of the first chapter is maybe the best thing, given how it allows you Fallout esque ways of talking through problems and finding alternative solutions.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
How do I get Irenicus' defenses down in the fight with him? At the beginning of the fight, he puts up a whole bunch of defenses and then they seem to contingency them back up when they run out.

I spam Pierce shield from my wands of spellstrike I got from watchers keep, then try to use breach to bring down his stoneskins and stuff, but they don't seem to get rid of his globe of invulnerability, which I think is blocking my breaches. The he goes into his time stop and usually murders two characters, and I'm just waiting away on his with my fighters to no avail.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

catlord posted:

Shadows of Undrentide does the NWN campaign better than the NWN campaign, plus it leads into Hordes of the Underdark more than the NWN campaign. The original isn't bad, but I heard it got added at the last moment and I can believe it.

I need to pick up the EE, I love NWN but at its current price I really can';t justify the purchase. Can't believe I missed that sale a few weeks ago.

Uhh there's literally an 80% off sale going on right now on Steam, I just bought it.

Might want to get on that.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Zarfol posted:

How do I get Irenicus' defenses down in the fight with him? At the beginning of the fight, he puts up a whole bunch of defenses and then they seem to contingency them back up when they run out.

I spam Pierce shield from my wands of spellstrike I got from watchers keep, then try to use breach to bring down his stoneskins and stuff, but they don't seem to get rid of his globe of invulnerability, which I think is blocking my breaches. The he goes into his time stop and usually murders two characters, and I'm just waiting away on his with my fighters to no avail.

Globe doesn't stop breach in vanilla. Irenicus uses spell shield, so cast breach twice. He puts his defenses back up once or twice during the fight.

To avoid getting murdered, cast death wards on everyone (will stop his wail of the banshee and finger of death) and protection from magical energy (level 6 arcane) on your lowest HP characters so his horrid wilting doesn't annihilate them.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Zarfol posted:

I think the question to ask is really: is there a cheat sheet for all the protections/protection removal spells in the game? Because gently caress, I've been playing these games since I was a tiny bab, and I never loving remember much beyond "Breach seems to be good? Yes, Breach is good."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I think the question to ask is really: is there a cheat sheet for all the protections/protection removal spells in the game? Because gently caress, I've been playing these games since I was a tiny bab, and I never loving remember much beyond "Breach seems to be good? Yes, Breach is good."

Double breach does just about everything
Or play inquisitor

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
In vanilla, spell protections don't stop breach (except spell shield, but only tree of life Irenicus uses it). Only way breach + a beating isn't your cure-all for mages is if they're immune to breach (liches) or you can't target them because of invisibility/illusion shenanigans (use true sight first).

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

It's the entire first chapter and ending chapter of the 1st chapter.
That's better than I expected tbh

catlord posted:

I trend toward a completionist style, so I'll trundle along the main campaign to check it out, but I'm really looking forward to SoU and HotU.

NWNEE is on sale on Steam until the 24th! For all of 4 bux it can be yours! :toot:

Zarfol posted:

Breach and whack to death. If whacking isn't working, breach again.

If you have Keldorn on the party, scatter your party and use the Inquisitor Dispel. Carsomyr can help as well. If you only have Mages in the party, summon monsters as distractions and Mord's Swords to whack Irenicus as you cast Breach.

Or, Time Stop + Shapechange (Mind Flayer) + Devour Brain. :cthulhu:

sabbathi
Sep 20, 2017
I think this was touched on in this thread recently, but I had some questions about the Sandrah Saga.
I'd never heard about it before, but a cursory google says that it was a dramabomb full of lovely writing with an unstable creator.
Anybody know more about it?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This is the post you want, from the previous page:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Original Saga and BG2 Complete on GoG? (which don't seem to be on sale anymore? I can only find the enhanced editions).

I was curious about that too, but while they aren't listed, purchasing the Enhanced Edition of either BG game on GOG will net you the original version alongside it.

Willie Tomg posted:

I will, however say: get EEkeeper and mod your savegame to give yourself a bag of holding, a potion case, a scroll case and an ammo belt (bottomless containers for their respective items) because there's a lot of stuff to pick up and lets get real nobody likes that part of the game in a day and age where we can install the game to the RAM on our phones. Also get the auto-find trap mod, because while inching forward waiting for the Rogue to make their Find Traps roll every six seconds is Very Tabletop its not exactly the most thrilling gameplay ever devised.

I would probably end up doing that for more than item containers. I was thinking about picking up BG1:EE and SoD, since I think this is the cheapest I've ever seen it sold. The only reason I haven't played until now apart from price, is that you need BG1 in order to play it, and since I've already played through BG1, I have to ask myself, "Do I really want to buying Baldur's Gate 1 again (and play through again out of obligation) just so I can play the DLC?"

...I'll buy it tomorrow once I get my paycheck.:nallears:

Vichan posted:

Someone needs to do a BG playthrough with the Sandrah Saga installed, it's so bad that it gives Saerileth a run for its money.

Excellent write-up, ProfessorCirno!

The character mod I've been most interested in seeing how bad it gets is the one with Chloe. Saerileth and the Imoen Romance one are in :nms::barf: territory, but the from what I've read, the Chloe mod is like being stuck with someone's annoying, limelight-stealing OC.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

cigaw posted:

Breach and whack to death. If whacking isn't working, breach again.

If you have Keldorn on the party, scatter your party and use the Inquisitor Dispel. Carsomyr can help as well. If you only have Mages in the party, summon monsters as distractions and Mord's Swords to whack Irenicus as you cast Breach.

Or, Time Stop + Shapechange (Mind Flayer) + Devour Brain. :cthulhu:

This plus the other posts helped. He put up spell shield a few times which was just blocking the breaches that I guess I didn't realize why they weren't working. I just spammed that poo poo and once melee got through he died ASAP. Second fight with him was a lot easier. Now for Throne of Bhaal.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
There's a spreadsheet here that has a table of the spell protections and removers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y7r2Z3FfZk74NdAVHuZuiNmWh14y1tAytNrsFMSY7zc/edit#gid=0

there's also a section on spell protections and removals in the spell reference at

https://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm

I just did a fight with Irenicus at the tree in a regular EE game, and he cast:
absolute immunity
spell shield
spell trap
protection from energy

then both fireshields
shield
mislead
globe of invulnerability

all right at the beginning

then time stop, power word kill, spell strike, and icestorm or something all on one party member.

So I think that you have to use true sight first to dispel the mislead so you can target him.

Then to hit him with spells like finger of death you would have to remove the spell shield and the spell trap. The shield and the globe of invulnerability don't matter for that. You can get rid of spell shield with spell thrust or secret word. The spell trap you need ruby ray of reversal or spell strike. You can cast it using a scroll with a projected image if you can't cast spell strike yet.

If you want to just melee Irenicus then you can use true sight. Breach doesn't seem to work until you get rid of the spell shield, so use spell thrust to remove that, then breach to lower his absolute immunity and fireshields and then you attack with melee and missile weapons. He would still be protected by spell trap but it doesn't protect from the your attacks and he dies quick.

sabbathi
Sep 20, 2017

bike tory posted:

This is the post you want, from the previous page:

Oops, I'm dumb. Thank you!

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Finished TOB today and... it felt like a $10 DLC (I guess watchers keep came with it, so a little better). It was such a short part of the game and was just a boss gauntlet. Cool weapons and stuff but everything was irrelevant. Whirlwind + the bard song from Haer'dalis destroyed everything. Kind of disappointing that cleric spells take so long to cast, because I had Cernd as a caster but by the time he got off his firestorm or insect spells everything was dead or near dead anyway.

BG1 > BG2. Cutscenes showing what Irenicus is doing ruins the BG2 story I think, because you know when you head to X location he's caused trouble and you have go deal with it. In BG1, your had no idea there was an rear end in a top hat waiting for you at the friendly arm in, and a group of assholes after the nashkel mines. Every area in BG2 is its nice little module that gets nicely wrapped up, there no area where you just randomly walk to and figure out there's nothing important there, I guess the feeling of exploration wasn't there for me. I still liked the game though, ND I will say the Larry interactions in BG2 were much better, as well as some of the side quests in chapter 2.

Just bought pillars of eternity 1 on a sale, so maybe that'll be a little different.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zarfol posted:

Finished TOB today and... it felt like a $10 DLC (I guess watchers keep came with it, so a little better). It was such a short part of the game and was just a boss gauntlet. Cool weapons and stuff but everything was irrelevant. Whirlwind + the bard song from Haer'dalis destroyed everything. Kind of disappointing that cleric spells take so long to cast, because I had Cernd as a caster but by the time he got off his firestorm or insect spells everything was dead or near dead anyway.

BG1 > BG2. Cutscenes showing what Irenicus is doing ruins the BG2 story I think, because you know when you head to X location he's caused trouble and you have go deal with it. In BG1, your had no idea there was an rear end in a top hat waiting for you at the friendly arm in, and a group of assholes after the nashkel mines. Every area in BG2 is its nice little module that gets nicely wrapped up, there no area where you just randomly walk to and figure out there's nothing important there, I guess the feeling of exploration wasn't there for me. I still liked the game though, ND I will say the Larry interactions in BG2 were much better, as well as some of the side quests in chapter 2.

Just bought pillars of eternity 1 on a sale, so maybe that'll be a little different.

The Pillars series is the first games to ever stand toe to toe with the BG games in my opinion. I couldn't tell you which series I love more at this point, and I've been playing the BG series every year since 1999, so it's not just Nostalgia.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
The simplicity and plotting of BG will always have a tremendous place in my heart, but POE has some insane quality-of-life improvements in the overall gameplay.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zeerust posted:

The simplicity and plotting of BG will always have a tremendous place in my heart, but POE has some insane quality-of-life improvements in the overall gameplay.

Exactly. And overall while I love the big plotting of BG series, I love the dialogue and reactivity of Obsidian's work a bit more, so it's a wash. Bioware was still using their established character tropes even back then, whereas Obsidian's work made the character feel more like real people. But the BG series has an epic scope that even an entire playthrough of PoE->White March->Poe2 can't match, from starting as a wet behind the ears nerd in Candlekeep, to mantling godhood.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Obsidian opted to smooth player power levels out and balance the game properly to avoid being too easy late game.

I've never heard 'bg2 is too easy' posited as a negative though, it is peak power fantasy and that's a big plus that 'murder gods in a handful of clicks' can happen

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Obsidian opted to smooth player power levels out and balance the game properly to avoid being too easy late game.

I've never heard 'bg2 is too easy' posited as a negative though, it is peak power fantasy and that's a big plus that 'murder gods in a handful of clicks' can happen

Exactly. Being able to do ridiculous poo poo with your character is part of the fun. PoE is fun in a more tactical way but BG is more like Morrowind with a runaway power curve in the player's favor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
POE requires a radically different play style mentality. Its more like 4ed DnD then the BG/IWD series and making use of the gear/weapons/stats is completely different.

The goal for the stats was to eliminate the idea of "dumping" stats. (Despite that for max hard mode people always dump 1 stat) but the way it works you can build a wizard that is all STR and DEX and still be extremely effective. Wizards are more CC focused and Clerics more buff/debuff then any useful healing. Ciphers are a sort of psionic sorcerer but with mana. Every other class is pretty standard.

Definitely check out the old SA thread, or maybe just ask questions in the new one. I loved POE 1 but bounced off it pretty hard at first before I understood things like deflection, engagement, and how chanters worked.

One major note, the first village's "dungeon" is designed to wreck you at the level you are at and encourage you to either master the tactics/skills or leave and return after gaining a full party and some levels.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Having your Wizards with high Might be able to bust down walls with their bare hands only added to the initial confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Having your Wizards with high Might be able to bust down walls with their bare hands only added to the initial confusion.

It's one of the best things about the system, imo. Even before dual classing came in PoE2, being able to make a functional character with almost any stat spread for each class is very commendable. I can't think of another game to do it this well.