Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Well I just found out why Gongsun Zan’s bff Zhao Yun keeps shredding other generals in duels. Apparently in the stories/history(?) he was a badass amongst badasses :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Anyone know how to remove units from a character's retinue while they're not currently active? I managed to snag Lu Bu after Dong Zhuo's faction blew up but I can't actually get him on the field because his retinue is stuffed with insane elite units I don't need at all right now.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
After you bring the guy on board click the unit and then click X to dismiss the unit you don't want

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

Takanago posted:

I used to feel the exact same way about ROTK X but after spending a bunch of time with 13 and it’s expansion pack I actually think 13 is the best in the series now. It’s got a lot to it. Like, you can become a bandit or even just an assassin that goes around murdering dudes if you want

13 is pretty good. It's my favorite of the RPG-style games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

After you bring the guy on board click the unit and then click X to dismiss the unit you don't want

On which screen? He's just in my roster pool now, not actually on the field because I can't afford to hire his enormously extravagant retinue.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Fosson posted:

Well I just found out why Gongsun Zan’s bff Zhao Yun keeps shredding other generals in duels. Apparently in the stories/history(?) he was a badass amongst badasses :v:

Dude (supposedly) single-handedly fought his way through Cao Cao’s entire army while holding Liu Bei’s baby https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Z8r8p17LU

Takanago fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 24, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man he's referred to as Zhao Zilong so consistently in the show I forgot his given name is Zhao Yun.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

there should probably be warning that the classes aren't absolute and that stats still matter when it comes to how well units do in combat tbh.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

So apparently the release version has a bug where the AI goes on vassalizing sprees, especially the Yuan Shao dude.
The fix for now is to eliminate him asap with extreme prejudice before midgame has a chance to blossom.

This is my only real problem with the game and it's good to know it's a bug and not how they actually intended it to be.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Arglebargle III posted:

Man he's referred to as Zhao Zilong so consistently in the show I forgot his given name is Zhao Yun.

Once you start getting into courtesy names, nicknames, and given names which are completely interchangeable it becomes a nightmare to keep track of who is who.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Kanos posted:

On which screen? He's just in my roster pool now, not actually on the field because I can't afford to hire his enormously extravagant retinue.

Oh, gotta hire him + retinue first.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This seems like a bit of a dumb question, but what's the general consensus on Three Kingdoms so far? I'm probably going to get this at one point or another anyway, but this still is TW, so I'm wondering how the release quality ended up being. In terms of a good launch, is this more of an Empire or more of a Warhammer?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh, gotta hire him + retinue first.

Yeah unfortunately that's the issue at hand!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Don Gato posted:

loving. Sold.

Also Guan Yu is the one who kicked so much rear end that he is revered as a god of war, so I say that's all just staying true to the source material.

Seven foot twenty loving killing for fun

I haven’t felt this much “I want to play video game not be at work” since I was like 13 and thought school was work :(

Also, I want a mod that gives Liu Bei his gorilla arms, gross dangling earlobes, and blood-red lips. It’s historical CA!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 24, 2019

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm really liking it, it's a great change from Total Warhammer where everyone loving hated each other. I haven't delved that deep yet but the character-based features like satisfaction and relationships makes it feel like diplomacy is great and worth doing now rather than an afterthought.

Also this may have been asked already but what's with the big -20 public order hit every one of my towns is taking due to 'Reserves'? I thought it was because an army was replenishing there but nope, all my places have it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Pierson posted:

I'm really liking it, it's a great change from Total Warhammer where everyone loving hated each other. I haven't delved that deep yet but the character-based features like satisfaction and relationships makes it feel like diplomacy is great and worth doing now rather than an afterthought.

Also this may have been asked already but what's with the big -20 public order hit every one of my towns is taking due to 'Reserves'? I thought it was because an army was replenishing there but nope, all my places have it.

I think reserves is your food reserves? Do you have no food?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

cheesetriangles posted:

I think reserves is your food reserves? Do you have no food?
Oooooh that that kind of reserves. Okay it makes sense now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kanos posted:

Yeah unfortunately that's the issue at hand!

My understanding is that you’ll likely have plenty of chances to hire Lu Bu over the course of a campaign.

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

I assume everyone in here has it already, but now I've ended up with TWO Yellow Turban codes after initially not having any. So there's one going spare if anyone wants it. First come first served

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Takanago posted:

I used to feel the exact same way about ROTK X but after spending a bunch of time with 13 and it’s expansion pack I actually think 13 is the best in the series now. It’s got a lot to it. Like, you can become a bandit or even just an assassin that goes around murdering dudes if you want

Really? I thought 13 was some crashy happy hot mess or something. The reviews on Steam for it are certainly glowing. Glowing an ominous red, but still.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Fosson posted:

In the stories he's practically the ideal warrior. The historical Zhao Yun was well regarded but didn't really achieve that much of note. His rescue of Liu Bei's son pretty much consisted of running into him and his retinue and pointing them to Liu Bei.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Anno posted:

My understanding is that you’ll likely have plenty of chances to hire Lu Bu over the course of a campaign.

No, I own him, as in he's in my faction already - he's my chancellor, in fact - but the retinue he came with is a ridiculous bloated monster of unnecessary elite troops so he's actually impossible to put on the field without dropping 20k or so for troops I'm going to almost immediately disband because militia are sufficient for my needs, and you apparently can't just say "yo dude leave your retinue and come alone, i'll hook you up".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've only gotten to play like an hour of a Cao Cao campaign but I really like the direction they've taken this game. The move to hero units actually being powerful and the relationship dynamics seems like it could be pretty in depth.

Battles seem a bit faster paced which is cool, also ranged units seem to actually have good range on them. Careful positioning your cavalry ahead of your line.

When I start a battle I usually group all my foot soldiers into one group then archers and then horsemen. Is it fine to take the retinue of one hero and group them with another? Also when I have my heroes in the same group as my foot soldiers they always sprint ahead of everyone else which is kind of annoying. How are you all forming battle groups and managing heroes?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Having fun but I can't tell how a unit is doing morale wise. What is the indicator?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kanos posted:

No, I own him, as in he's in my faction already - he's my chancellor, in fact - but the retinue he came with is a ridiculous bloated monster of unnecessary elite troops so he's actually impossible to put on the field without dropping 20k or so for troops I'm going to almost immediately disband because militia are sufficient for my needs, and you apparently can't just say "yo dude leave your retinue and come alone, i'll hook you up".

"Hey my dude, I know you have a couple hundred veteran warriors who have fought beside you for a decade and have sworn personal loyalty to you, but I'm not about that so just kick them to the curb and I'll give you some smelly peasants to lead, OK?"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zurai posted:

"Hey my dude, I know you have a couple hundred veteran warriors who have fought beside you for a decade and have sworn personal loyalty to you, but I'm not about that so just kick them to the curb and I'll give you some smelly peasants to lead, OK?"

I mean yeah that fanfiction makes sense until you realize that once you recruit him he has literally no problem with just disbanding them immediately anyway? Nobody cares about you swapping their troops around for "smelly peasants" once they're actually on the field, so there's no real reason why their retinues should be sacrosanct while they're in your character pool besides a UI oversight.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Kanos posted:

I don't know why you don't get why that actually doesn't make any sense but ok keep complaining that elite, legendary heroes dont come without their elite legendary soldiers

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Kanos posted:

I mean yeah that fanfiction makes sense until you realize that once you recruit him he has literally no problem with just disbanding them immediately anyway? Nobody cares about you swapping their troops around for "smelly peasants" once they're actually on the field, so there's no real reason why their retinues should be sacrosanct while they're in your character pool besides a UI oversight.

That's the game trying to curb you while still allowing flexibility

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It may or may not make roleplay/Historically Accurate sense but it is a deliberate game design decision, not a UI oversight. He’s expensive because he’s insanely good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't know why you don't get why that actually doesn't make any sense but ok keep complaining that elite, legendary heroes dont come without their elite legendary soldiers

The troops aren't actually part of the hero. The troops in their retinue are literally just whatever units they happened to have the last time they were on the field; Lu Bu doesn't have a Super Special Unique To Him retinue that's fixed, he has whatever crap Dong Zhuo gave him before the faction collapsed. I hired Zhao Yun with the elite, legendary retinue whispered through the ages of Chinese folklore of two sabre militia.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Popete posted:

When I start a battle I usually group all my foot soldiers into one group then archers and then horsemen. Is it fine to take the retinue of one hero and group them with another? Also when I have my heroes in the same group as my foot soldiers they always sprint ahead of everyone else which is kind of annoying. How are you all forming battle groups and managing heroes?

Yeah I have these exact same questions. It would be nice for neatness just to have all units grouped under the right general for their type, but you usually end up with random archers and cav spread amongst the different retinues.

Also is there no way to just quickly select General plus retinue? Seems like I still have to shift-click or ctrl-click.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kanos posted:

The troops aren't actually part of the hero. The troops in their retinue are literally just whatever units they happened to have the last time they were on the field; Lu Bu doesn't have a Super Special Unique To Him retinue that's fixed, he has whatever crap Dong Zhuo gave him before the faction collapsed. I hired Zhao Yun with the elite, legendary retinue whispered through the ages of Chinese folklore of two sabre militia.

Yep sounds like game design. The retinue thing is a limiting factor. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don’t.

fuf posted:

Yeah I have these exact same questions. It would be nice for neatness just to have all units grouped under the right general for their type, but you usually end up with random archers and cav spread amongst the different retinues.

Also is there no way to just quickly select General plus retinue? Seems like I still have to shift-click or ctrl-click.

Having units under the “right general” really isn’t a big deal, it’s just a bonus. Also the character affects their retinue the same regardless of how your battle grouping is. If you stick Liu Bei’s halberds into a group with Guan Yu’s, they still get Liu Bei’s effects.

You can’t swap units without disbanding and rerecruiting because the retinues are a balancing factor.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 24, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kanos posted:

The troops aren't actually part of the hero.

They are, though. It's a specifically designed and talked about feature that the retinue follows the hero. It's not a custom-designed retinue, but those aren't your soldiers, they're his. Yes, once you hire him out you can change them, but that's so that you aren't stuck with lovely peasants for all eternity.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Popete posted:

I've only gotten to play like an hour of a Cao Cao campaign but I really like the direction they've taken this game. The move to hero units actually being powerful and the relationship dynamics seems like it could be pretty in depth.

Battles seem a bit faster paced which is cool, also ranged units seem to actually have good range on them. Careful positioning your cavalry ahead of your line.

There's no penalty or restriction to mixing units between retinues in combat(which plays to each class generally having a specific specialization of recruitment), so go nuts.

If you want your heroes to keep pace with your infantry line, your two options are to either dismount them or to put them in a control group with the infantry and lock the formation, which forces the entire group to move at the speed of the slowest member.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

There's no penalty or restriction to mixing units between retinues in combat(which plays to each class generally having a specific specialization of recruitment), so go nuts.

If you want your heroes to keep pace with your infantry line, your two options are to either dismount them or to put them in a control group with the infantry and lock the formation, which forces the entire group to move at the speed of the slowest member.

Ahhh thanks, yeah I forgot about lock formation that's a good reminder.

So having multiple heroes in an army is really just about recruitment types.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Popete posted:

That and each hero is restricted to 6 units so without a full complement of heroes you can't actually field a full stack.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

anyone figure out a way to break up a large alliance/coalition? basically like 6/10th of my map is in the same coalition, including myself and im running out of stuff to conquer

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Popete posted:

No. The units in a character’s retinue have that character’s buffs. Grouping characters and units is a battlefield UI thing. The individual units keep the buffs of the dude they were recruited by.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Kanos posted:

That and each hero is restricted to 6 units so without a full complement of heroes you can't actually field a full stack.

You can get traits which increase how much a hero can have, unit wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No. The units in a character’s retinue have that character’s buffs. Grouping characters and units is a battlefield UI thing. The individual units keep the buffs of the dude they were recruited by.

Just to be clear they get their heroes buffs even when "grouped" in battle with other heroes or by themselves?