Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Maybe, looked like the same poo poo in the skill trailer though.

Well among other things Dark Arts is completely gone so Abyssal literally can not be the same spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Thundarr posted:

I'm not sure that a skill missing from the benchmark means much other than that it was not used by a character in the benchmark. Don't panic about what skills were or were not removed until we get the full 5.0 Job Guide.

Fair, I went back and checked the stormblood video and Bhava/Trick were not in that one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So what cut spell is going to be photoshopped into everyone's avatar for this expansion?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

So what cut spell is going to be photoshopped into everyone's avatar for this expansion?

Protect

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I came back to level AST before the expansion and forgot about protect and everyone in the party just stood there waiting for me and I'm like "What the gently caress is wrong with you guys?" then I remember about it and told them I'll be super glad when protect is dead

Im super glad protect is dead

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hey, they wouldn't be comfortable running the dungeon without that 1-5% damage reduction.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Hrothgar are Good Boys.

(Does this look alright? Im still playing with it)

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I came back to level AST before the expansion and forgot about protect and everyone in the party just stood there waiting for me and I'm like "What the gently caress is wrong with you guys?" then I remember about it and told them I'll be super glad when protect is dead

Im super glad protect is dead

Protect has a cool spell affect on your dude when you are getting hit but that's the only positive, I'll be glad it's dead too.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Well among other things Dark Arts is completely gone so Abyssal literally can not be the same spell.
One thing you can also see in the Job preview video is that there's more jobs with AoE combos now, you see the Warrior doing an Overpower into a new move spinny move that generates gauge for example. Wouldn't surprise me if a design goal of theirs is to make it so there's less AoE rotations that are just "spam this one button".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

As a tank Protect (or at least a stutter step) is my signal that the healer is aware and ready to follow me into the abyss at the start of a dungeon (if you assume simply being in the Duty implies readiness then lol)

I wonder if it'll get a replacement in that sense

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Please look forward to shell.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Oxyclean posted:

I still have a greyed out Fracture icon on one of my bars.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Smart Car posted:

One thing you can also see in the Job preview video is that there's more jobs with AoE combos now, you see the Warrior doing an Overpower into a new move spinny move that generates gauge for example. Wouldn't surprise me if a design goal of theirs is to make it so there's less AoE rotations that are just "spam this one button".

A lot of jobs seemed to pick up AoE combos. DRG seems to have a 3 hit combo, NIN had a 2 hit, RDM Veraero and Verthunder are becoming AoE, GNB has a 2 hit AoE that loads one of its cartridges, PLD grabbed a spell from Tactics and can do a bigger Holy Spirit that looked AoE.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Leofish posted:

I still have a greyed out Fracture icon on one of my bars.

I've got OG Cleric Stance on my WHM bar. A solemn reminder to what we've lost.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BrightWing posted:

A lot of jobs seemed to pick up AoE combos. DRG seems to have a 3 hit combo, NIN had a 2 hit, RDM Veraero and Verthunder are becoming AoE, GNB has a 2 hit AoE that loads one of its cartridges, PLD grabbed a spell from Tactics and can do a bigger Holy Spirit that looked AoE.

They mentioned something about some jobs would have a way of activating or toggling an AoE mode out of their other abilities. They didn't really delve into the details. In the RDM preview, they open with AoE thunder and aero, but later on they use the vanilla version instead, so they either have two skills for them, or there is a way to turn AoE mode on.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They mentioned something about some jobs would have a way of activating or toggling an AoE mode out of their other abilities. They didn't really delve into the details. In the RDM preview, they open with AoE thunder and aero, but later on they use the vanilla version instead, so they either have two skills for them, or there is a way to turn AoE mode on.

Which is really cool. Much better than fuckign Scatter spam at least.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BrightWing posted:

Which is really cool. Much better than fuckign Scatter spam at least.

Definitely. And if it gets turds in dungeons using their AoE skills because they still follow part of their main rotation, it's a big plus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It looks like impact is AOE now so may be it is as simple as Jolt give ST Impact gives AoE?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
We got to see RDM bars during the LL, aoe thunder/aero are separate buttons, and Impact is now a 5 second cast aoe. So for aoe it's Thunder/Aero into Impact. Moulinet is also 20/20 mana now instead of 30/30 which means you'll be able to sword slash after 4 casts, and max aoe burst is 7 slashes in a row off of 90/90 mana with Manafication.

TLDR - RDM AOE IS GONNA BE COOL

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

How can you be mad at this?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stormgale posted:

Yeah the whole healing thing is "All healers will be good at healing Raw HP, and have some short of shielding for emergencies"

Correct. Yoshida used the same translated term of "pure healer" (as opposed to "shield healer") in his interview with MrHappy a while back, so it's simply the term they're using to describe healers with high raw throughput. My guess is that they want to establish a baseline of healing competence and then differentiate the healers through playstyle and utility options, as the alternative (wildly different healing styles) is abysmally hard to try and balance in an environment where you're going to have only two healers per raid at best.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

It looks like impact is AOE now so may be it is as simple as Jolt give ST Impact gives AoE?

I hope that's the case, it's a really smart way to avoid button bloat

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Vermain posted:

Correct. Yoshida used the same translated term of "pure healer" (as opposed to "shield healer") in his interview with MrHappy a while back, so it's simply the term they're using to describe healers with high raw throughput. My guess is that they want to establish a baseline of healing competence and then differentiate the healers through playstyle and utility options, as the alternative (wildly different healing styles) is abysmally hard to try and balance in an environment where you're going to have only two healers per raid at best.

We'll see how it shakes out of course but I do like the idea of all heals just being HP healers and then like SCH also brings some shields or AST brings a few fun buffs and maybe WHM has some big fun buttons to use too.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

From the summary:

quote:

Machinist is currently undergoing significant changes where it’s basically a new job. They wanted to address the confusing mechanics involved and even when you understand them it didn’t feel very rewarding. Now, it’s a positive thing to build your Machinist job gauge. When the battery gauge is charged you can summon a robot to fight alongside you. They wanted to revisit the idea of the machinist using machines over shooting — they’ll pull out different weapons like like a drill and so on. Gauss Barrel is no more.

I'm really happy with this rework. I've always enjoyed MCH through the ups and downs, but now they're making you Edgar with a gun!

Here's what I can see from the trailer:

- They're using Heated Shots at all times. Maybe it'll be a trait upgrade now, or maybe another ability (Flamethrower or Hot Shot) will enable them temporarily?
- Using Tools increases the battery gauge. I saw Bio Blaster, Auto Crossbow, and Drill. The one with all the chains is their interpretation of Air Anchor, I'm guessing?
- Wildfire activated by spending 50 heat.
- Barrel Stabilizer now adds 50 heat instead of setting heat to 50.
- I didn't see a turret anywhere. Not sure how that ties into the job right now, or if it's related to the robot buddy.
- There's no ammo gauge.

It seriously looks like a new job now, it's insane.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I enjoyed the 1 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 2 - 3 core rotation on MCH. I hope they keep that. 1 - 2 - 3 rotations are boring.

Everything else about the changes looked awesome. It's going to be difficult to decide between DRK, SCH, and MCH now.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DizzyBum posted:

- Using Tools increases the battery gauge. I saw Bio Blaster, Auto Crossbow, and Drill. The one with all the chains is their interpretation of Air Anchor, I'm guessing?

Air Anchor could always have been read as some kind of net attached to a spike, it just comes out so fast and the SNES sprite is small enough that it's hard to decide.

So yeah, I'm betting it's that.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

As a tank Protect (or at least a stutter step) is my signal that the healer is aware and ready to follow me into the abyss at the start of a dungeon (if you assume simply being in the Duty implies readiness then lol)

yeah, it's nice to have a sec to summon fairy and aetherflow then using protect before the tank runs dick first in to stuff but a buff that every healer has that pretty much only gets used at the start of the dungeon isnt exactly what id consider worth keeping since you can just tone everything down a few percent points and have nothing change and I can accomplish the same thing by having /ready on my crossbar

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blast of Confetti posted:

yeah, it's nice to have a sec to summon fairy and aetherflow then using protect before the tank runs dick first in to stuff but a buff that every healer has that pretty much only gets used at the start of the dungeon isnt exactly what id consider worth keeping since you can just tone everything down a few percent points and have nothing change and I can accomplish the same thing by having /ready on my crossbar

oh sure totally agreed

i can just imagine all the "what are you waiting for?" "protect" "there's no protect anymore ya knob, get your dick in those trash mobs" in the future though, lol

faptown
Dec 6, 2008
Next time someone complains about me not casting protect I'm going to tell them I'm practicing for the expansion.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Prism posted:

Air Anchor could always have been read as some kind of net attached to a spike, it just comes out so fast and the SNES sprite is small enough that it's hard to decide.

So yeah, I'm betting it's that.

Yeah it's one of those weird things that never quite made sense to me. It's like... Edgar shoots this whisk-looking thing from what looks like a cross between a fishing reel and a faucet, it knocks the enemy back, and gives them a totally unique status effect that works like FF9's Heat. :shrug:

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
If I buy base game (Starter) and Shadowbringers does that get me all content on PS4 ?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

mfny posted:

If I buy base game (Starter) and Shadowbringers does that get me all content on PS4 ?

Not until Shadowbringers actually releases.

E: To clarify, until ShB releases, preordering it wont get you access to the expacs. Gotta buy Stormblood to do that.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Just quick bind a ready check for dungeons to see if everyone is readybefore pulling half the dungeon.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm genuinely disappointed that job quests are getting depreciated. Those are my favorite quests in the game since they really gave me a real sense of progressing up in level.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Heavensward is also free until June 27th on PSN, so you can go all the way through to the end of the first expansion if you bought the starter edition. Plenty of stuff to fill out a month and change unless you powergame it.

e: relevant info: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c9bbc9225ec2fad7a30a8cc55e4d62177375d0f2

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

ChaseSP posted:

Just quick bind a ready check for dungeons to see if everyone is readybefore pulling half the dungeon.

Or just pull. Worst case scenario you die painfully. In real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I’m having trouble deciding which tank to main going forward. I started on PLD, moved to DRK in HW, back to PLD in SB, but recently capped WAR and have been using that.

PLD and DRK changes look interesting (PLD getting better AoE, DRK dropping DA bull crap) and WAR doesn’t seem to be getting as exciting of updates...