Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In non spoilery terms how is the action shot? The action scenes in G14 are good but the home release really feels like they hosed up the exposure and its hard to really see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Having just finished the Heisei series, hearing this is wonderful.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Having just finished the Heisei series, hearing this is wonderful.

So I'm curious

What did you think of VS Destroyah

It's the closest one I think that comes to capturing the magic of the older movies, the action and such, but it is a flawed film in its own right.

But it also comes right after Space Godzilla so

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It was good! Godzilla's going nuclear was a pretty dope way to go, and I liked Destroyah's design. Fun movie, and I'd say I enjoyed it about as much as Vs Biollante. Mentioned it earlier, but I was pretty disappointed with the series as a whole. I overhyped it I guess. Vs Biollante and Vs Destroyah were my only real favorites. Return of Godzilla was alright, but everything else was either mediocre/boring/bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Those are the two that are closest to Showa in terms of action and style I think

Junior VS Tiny Destroyah is an all time great thing in Kaiju fights.

If you get a chance, give the Gamera 90s trilogy a watch. The first one is a little slow, and Gamera looks very silly because he looks like a big friendly muppet, but they get a lot better as they go and they're miles ahead of the old films.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Arcsquad12 posted:

In non spoilery terms how is the action shot? The action scenes in G14 are good but the home release really feels like they hosed up the exposure and its hard to really see.
The action is clear and legible. One screener from an earlier showing complained about night fights and weather effects, but I never felt like the action was hard to discern. G14, on the other hand, was too dark in theaters imo and worse on disc.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 24, 2019

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Didn't see it answered, but is that ridiculous cover present at any point during the film?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It doesn't play until the credits start rolling.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

I was going to wait to listen to the soundtrack but holy poo poo that IS THE BEST. He brought back the original theme. So incredibly happy Bear convinced Toho to license it. Can’t imagine what the conversation was like. Really hope Toho is happy with everything now, fingers crossed for a good box office.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

There are some new Youtube reviews of KOTM and a few are a bit lukewarm so I'm dialing down my expectations a bit. This fits a pattern with new movies. The hype is often choreographed by "fan exclusive" screenings and whatnot. Some geek on Youtube saw it last week and was like Holy poo poo it is amazing, oh yeah and Dougherty is a cool guy I know him personally. Signs of.mixed reactions seep out very shortly before release after months of calculated hype

Spoiler tagged this because ppl should go in with whatever preconceived notions they prefer

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The cover of Mothra's song is beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHOX1Ivyz7k

Mothra's got some very mournful tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32yOIDTAuX4

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

For what it's worth, I went to an AMC early screening full of regular Bay Area people (I'm sure there was some G fans present but they weren't a significant presence) and the crowd got super into the movie and applauded/cheered multiple times. People clapped at the end about about 3 quarters stayed for the post credits scene. I think this film will have a much better response from general audiences than Godzilla 2014 did. Hell, even a cynical blackhole like the box office forums are feeling bullish for King of the Monsters.

Vinylshadow posted:

The cover of Mothra's song is beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHOX1Ivyz7k

Mothra's got some very mournful tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32yOIDTAuX4
The way Mothra's Song comes in here is very powerful and good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvhZP7ObNKY

Tekne fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 24, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there monsters? Yes.
Do they fight? Yes.

That's all I care about, gently caress reviewers.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there monsters? Yes.
Do they fight? Yes.

I should clarify that's my own stance, I will probably love this movie. But it would cool if this creates new fans in the general public (which I'm sure it will, but to what extent I'm dying to know)

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there monsters? Yes.
Do they fight? Yes.

Do you want more Vs. Spacegodzilla? Because that's how we get more Vs. Spacegodzilla.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I should clarify that's my own stance, I will probably love this movie. But it would cool if this creates new fans in the general public (which I'm sure it will, but to what extent I'm dying to know)
The people I saw it with looked like the folks you'd see at a Warriors or Giants game, not the dudes creeping on cosplayers at a convention. That crowd was feeling it so I'm feeling optimistic about Godzilla's chances.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

My hype is crazy and I feel I would like a Kaiju for my work desk. Is there a consensus on which ones own and which ones blow?

I’m personally looking for a late-Showa dog faced Godzilla (my favorite), a Showa MechaG,
Or of course any of the three featured in this new film.

What’s some of your favorite Godzilla merchandise?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

If I was made of money, I'd snatch up all the Sideshow/Dream Figures statues. These will have to do.
https://twitter.com/DaveScheidt/status/1131245715865391104

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

poo poo TON of new footage in this, and probably of bunch of spoilers, so watch at your own peril!

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1131957939420352512

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Burkion posted:

If you get a chance, give the Gamera 90s trilogy a watch. The first one is a little slow, and Gamera looks very silly because he looks like a big friendly muppet, but they get a lot better as they go and they're miles ahead of the old films.

My older brother is actually a Gamera fan, and I think he has a blu-ray box set. Next time I see him, I'll ask to borrow to it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Excellent. Of the two, Gamera definitely won the 90s on sheer quality VS quantity.

I don't think Revenge of Iris is one of the All Time Best kaiju movies ever, but it's drat well up there and an amazing film for its era.

https://twitter.com/godzillawiki/status/1131089858011836416?s=21

Also this is a thing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
loving Gamera.

Dumb story:

I'd never head of Gamera before and me and my buddy were taking acid sometime around 1985 or 86. We were in "don't go outside, 'they know!' stay here where we are safe, let's watch TV and drink beer" mode in a hotel room and stumbled upon one of the Gamera movies at 1am. It's the one with knife head, the two dumb kids and the cannibal women, whatever that one is called.

Holy poo poo. I don't think either of us laughed so hard in our loving lives and we were very sad when it was over. Nothing could top it, especially coming down at 4am. That loving scene with the parallel bar gymnastics routine and the missile through knife head. We watched it in awe and my friend said, "you know, the only way to kill on one of those things..." and we both loving lost it.

Anyway, that's my introduction to Gamera and I recommend everyone do it the way I did: peaking on LSD at 2 am with their best friend in a cheap hotel room and contemplating the logistics of killing a knife monster that shoots throwing stars from its head.

EDIT:

Found it but leaves out the gymnastics routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxlOe6ZHGUA

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 24, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cool article about a private Godzilla display at Toho (and amongst the other Godzilla's, Toho does display Legendary's Godzilla):

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-trip-to-g...low_io9_twitter

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this

This link has a spoiler! The music is LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KDuS8c94ds&list=WL&index=13

Is absolutely a throwback to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A18IyJf-J9E

Right?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 25, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
... aaaaaaand I think I just had a fairly big plot point spoilered via a random youtube thumbnail. Goddamit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fuuuuck. Sorry dude.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

Fuuuuck. Sorry dude.

Nah it wasn't you, I just randomly went on youtube to look up something else and it popped up in the sidebar

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well just in case I edited the link with a warning.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

lukewarm so I'm dialing down my expectations a bit. This fits a pattern with new movies. The hype is often choreographed by "fan exclusive" screenings and whatnot. Some geek on Youtube saw it last week and was like Holy poo poo it is amazing, oh yeah and Dougherty is a cool guy I know him personally. Signs of.mixed reactions seep out very shortly before release after months of calculated hype

please summarize in good faith

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just because you know Godzilla and Rodan get married, you don't know when or how it happens

Or why Mothra's Best Man and Ghidorah's a Bridesmaid

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Vinylshadow posted:

Just because you know Godzilla and Rodan get married, you don't know when or how it happens

You are correct. To ensure future viability, the Godzilla franchise should adopt anime relationship nonsense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
just like in godzilla the series when jr became the adoptive father for the giant iguana and her egg before the jackass giant turtle ruined their happy relationship

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Kong bursting in during the "if anyone objects" part was unexpected

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Well that had to be for setting up the sequel.

Although the stinger at the end caught me a little off guard (is this supposed to be happening in the Eat, Pray, Love universe?)

I will say that the Julia Roberts cameo was :discourse:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

whoa, are these real? this movies sounds confusing and bad

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

As real as the love between megaguirus and Javier Bardem

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Davros1 posted:

Telegraphed in th Kong after credits stinger. If you go back you can clearly see Godzilla is wearing a bridal gown and the humans with bows and arrows are firing sheaves of rice

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

STARS! THEY'RE JUST LIKE US!!!

https://twitter.com/Cinemark/status/1132343968539303937

Mantis42 posted:

While some of the other threads refuse to allow any fun in them, we like to have a laugh.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 26, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

We need a gif of that godzilla in the theater fast-turning in the direction of the ringtone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Trying to watch all the live action Godzillas before the release of King of the Monsters.

I'm not sure if I actually watched vs Megalon or just think I did because of how many clips I've seen in youtube videos. Unfortunately I can't rent it on youtube or itunes. I might just have to re-up a streaming service or buy a dvd or something.