Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Woof Blitzer posted:

You’re all telling me port security isn’t a standard security procedure? Lmao

I have been where I work for too long, where it is standard but I imagine in the real world it's probably not standard.

I didn't mean port security = serious physical security. I work in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

angry armadillo posted:

I have been where I work for too long, where it is standard but I imagine in the real world it's probably not standard.

I didn't mean port security = serious physical security. I work in jail.

Do you ever have to deal with people snuggling in RPis or something?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Hello yes it is me, intern Xanderkish. Just a message to all BA's that when I am developing a macro that will utilize access to a specific filepath, I do in fact need access to that filepath to properly test the functionality.

I cannot test it using a dummy filepath and then change the filepath to its actual required filepath and deploy it without testing if it works using that filepath, because then that means that whoever actually uses it might get errors that I couldn't anticipate because I couldn't test it in the environment it is actually being used in.

Thank you.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ah yes, the tried and true method of testing, making one last breaking change, and then deploying.

Works every (none of the) time.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I sent an email informing my BA of the risk of this a month ago, they decided it wasn't necessary, and now we've had the user attempt to use it twice with errors that almost certainly could have been avoided if I had the access in the first place.

Now I am getting this access finally, and even if the bug still happens, at least I've eliminated the one extremely obvious possibility.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The CI/CD sage continues.

:btroll: I need your team to engage my team with some of its azure devops requests.

:buddy: My team doesn't have an SME of the product. A few people have shown interest in talking with your folks and working through issues but holding them accountable for a product they don't know and don't own isn't reasonable.

:btroll: They don't need to know the product, just do a few simple tasks.

:buddy: What are the tasks you need?

:btroll: It was sent in an email yesterday.

:buddy: That email was nothing but a bunch of questions about the product. There isn't a simple task here. In fact this looks more like you are seeking my team to train you on the product.

:btroll: The company needs this, somebody needs to step up.

:buddy: Then step up and hire and consultant.

:btroll: Consultants we reached out to were too expensive.

:buddy: So how does that change anything? I don't see how my team not knowing or owning the product makes them the team that needs to step up. Its your project. Its your product. Send your guys to training.

:btroll: We don't have time for training. Deadlines are just around the corner.

:buddy: What do you want me to do?

:btroll: I need you to help me here.

Jesus loving christ. I am about to throw someone out of a god drat building.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Update: It was in fact a typo in the filepath that was either given to me or that appeared due to copy-paste screwing with spacing, that I would have detected if I had been given the access in the first place.

Update update: The typo was in the BRD.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 24, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
On a scale from 1 to 10, how bad an idea would it be to take an extremely lucrative consulting job doing an SRE practice transformation at a very large bank

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

On a scale from 1 to 10, how bad an idea would it be to take an extremely lucrative consulting job doing an SRE practice transformation at a very large bank

Evaluate and develop a strategy and leave? or same but also lead implementation?

Is this an independent gig or through a firm?

What's the proposed timeline?

I mean if you're already looking for a change *and* this is going to look impressive being added to your resume/CV I say "why not?"

Otherwise, I'd approach it pragmatically in terms of whether you'll have significant down-time afterwards before you can find another gig, is the remuneration worth an engagement that has an end-date, etc...

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

Assuming "very large" is a top 20 FI. On a scale from 1 to 10, how do you feel about red tape?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How much does your live have left in it

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Vulture Culture posted:

I cant speak for SRE in general but my gig at $big_investment_bank is pretty sweet. My experience has been that if you are filling in a role that not many can do you can take some liberties (eg: WFH when other consultants can't and working a flex schedule). The downside is the red tape may drive you mad.

Also you should inquire about what the contract renewals are like. My contract is not tied to capex so there is no end date unless they decide I'm no longer worth paying.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 24, 2019

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Doing a phone interview today for a position that would be roughly another 15k per year, although one week less PTO. Possibility of partial WFH down the line, though, and cheaper insurance. 10-15 minutes shorter commute, which is also nice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Possibility of partial WFH down the line

Don't even factor this into your consideration. They word it this way to make it look like you'll be able to do it, but will never let you.

What's your current PTO allotment? If it's 5 weeks, then 1 week less sucks but may be worth the increase in salary. If you only have 3 or less weeks of PTO, then 1 week less is going to suck more than you think.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'd ask yourself "If I was going on vacation and my company offered me $15k to work instead, would I do it?"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sickening posted:

The CI/CD sage continues.

:btroll: I need your team to engage my team with some of its azure devops requests.

:buddy: My team doesn't have an SME of the product. A few people have shown interest in talking with your folks and working through issues but holding them accountable for a product they don't know and don't own isn't reasonable.

:btroll: They don't need to know the product, just do a few simple tasks.

:buddy: What are the tasks you need?

:btroll: It was sent in an email yesterday.

:buddy: That email was nothing but a bunch of questions about the product. There isn't a simple task here. In fact this looks more like you are seeking my team to train you on the product.

:btroll: The company needs this, somebody needs to step up.

:buddy: Then step up and hire and consultant.

:btroll: Consultants we reached out to were too expensive.

:buddy: So how does that change anything? I don't see how my team not knowing or owning the product makes them the team that needs to step up. Its your project. Its your product. Send your guys to training.

:btroll: We don't have time for training. Deadlines are just around the corner.

:buddy: What do you want me to do?

:btroll: I need you to help me here.

Jesus loving christ. I am about to throw someone out of a god drat building.

You're talking to my boss. He's trying to take over "devops" (whatever that means here) but everything is on-prem. We have never gotten training. I hope I get to :yotj: soon but I really needed to jump like 2 years ago before everyone wanted cloud experience.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Doing a phone interview today for a position that would be roughly another 15k per year, although one week less PTO. Possibility of partial WFH down the line, though, and cheaper insurance. 10-15 minutes shorter commute, which is also nice.

"Possibility of" is something they talk about that costs them nothing. Never rely on it.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

as others have noted, the WFH isn't real and jobs that offer fewer than 4 weeks of PTO are trash.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Proteus Jones posted:

What's your current PTO allotment? If it's 5 weeks, then 1 week less sucks but may be worth the increase in salary. If you only have 3 or less weeks of PTO, then 1 week less is going to suck more than you think.

Agree with this. I'm fortunate to get 28 days off a year, but generally really only use 17 to 20 on time off. I blow the rest around the holidays. I end up taking the last 3 weeks of the year off most years. (which around regular paid days off is usually only 8 or 9 days of PTO).

Comradephate posted:

jobs that offer fewer than 4 weeks of PTO are trash.

My bare minimum would be 3 weeks. I wouldn't even consider a job with only 2 weeks PTO to start. 4 weeks seems like the perfect amount. I almost never get burnt out at work, as we generally take a vacation every 3 months or so.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It also helps to clarify if sick leave and PTO are treated as separate or the same, as that says a lot about an organization. If you get sick and are laid up for two weeks and that's coming out of the same pool as any vacation time then you know the organization doesn't really care about its people unless they give you something absurd like 8 weeks a year.

Also make sure carryover etc. is in writing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, it’s 3 weeks PTO rather than 4 (we’ll, currently 3 vacation 1 sick). A hit I’m willing to take in exchange for making $70k rather than $55k. Depending on the other details of the job, obviously. Not being tied to a phone all day would also be nice. And it would be getting back to internal ERP support rather than external software call center.

I’m not holding my breath on the partial WFH, I would see it as a pleasant surprise if it actually happened.

E: this place I currently work is literally the first place I’ve been that separates sick time and vacation, and if you overrun your sick time you still have to use vacation time. Where are you located that shared vacation/sick times aren’t a common thing?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I think we somewhat recently had a page or two on comp/benefits, but, NYC, mid-stage tech company, untracked time off.

It does make me laugh when companies do something ridiculous like 3 or 5 days of sick time, though. At that point I just feel obligated to take it, even if I don't get sick.

Most places I have worked have had either unlimited sick time, or like, 6 weeks of sick time.

Rackspace had pooled, use-it-or-lose-it sick and vacation time that expired at the end of every year, but that place is a garbage pit, so.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My last place had unlimited sick time. If you were out more than three or so days, they wanted a doctor's note.

And depending on how sick you were, you could work from home, or "work" from home.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Unlimited PTO means you get infinite money on the payout of it at the end of your employment right.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

During negotiations, demand the salary and the fourth week of PTO.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

Unlimited PTO means you get infinite money on the payout of it at the end of your employment right.

Hahahahah no.

It's an accounting trick so they DON'T have to payout any unused time since you aren't actually earning any.

They present it as, just use as much as you need as long as you can meet your commitments. They count on you not using the amount you used to earn normally. It's a good bet because Americans are hosed in the head when it comes to work/life balance.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Where are you located that shared vacation/sick times aren’t a common thing?

Uh, literally anywhere? That's illegal?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

Hahahahah no.

It's an accounting trick so they DON'T have to payout any unused time since you aren't actually earning any.

They present it as, just use as much as you need as long as you can meet your commitments. They count on you not using the amount you used to earn normally. It's a good bet because Americans are hosed in the head when it comes to work/life balance.

That's the joke because my company failed and there wasn't any PTO to pay out :(

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I get a whole 3 days of sick time. This means that I'm constantly having to use my vacation time to cover sick time because the IT department is constantly sick from all of the sick people who come into work and stop by IT to ask us a "quick question".

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, perfectly legal in the land of the free.

We have a shared sick/PTO pool, but I get enough PTO that I can take 2 weeks of real vacation, and a ton of random days off (for fun and for sick kiddo) and still accumulate PTO year over year.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

chin up everything sucks posted:

I get a whole 3 days of sick time. This means that I'm constantly having to use my vacation time to cover sick time because the IT department is constantly sick from all of the sick people who come into work and stop by IT to ask us a "quick question".

gently caress em. Come in sick, plague up the place. You don’t get to rob me of PTO for sick time

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

chin up everything sucks posted:

Cough germs all over your boss.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Cough germs all over your boss.

My boss is great, the sick time and PTO time are mandated for everyone by the execs.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Just so everyone is aware if you tell someone that a piece of equipment for a new employee is "ready aside from a few things I need them here for to go over" that means the other party doesn't have to do anything further, such as bringing or sending this new employee to you. If you don't go to the office next door where there is some random person sitting and ask them if they are the person that is supposed to get a piece of equipment, then you have failed at your job and can rightly be accused of that.

If you were to ask 100 people what "ready aside from a few things I need them here for" means, all 100 would not think that "they needed to do anything."

Also if you once said anything that you probably shouldn't have said, just claim that you don't ever remember saying that and if you did say it you would have remembered, thus it didn't happen!

I need the gently caress out of this place.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

Agrikk posted:

During negotiations, demand the salary and the fourth week of PTO.

This is a very reasonable approach.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

siggy2021 posted:

Just so everyone is aware if you tell someone that a piece of equipment for a new employee is "ready aside from a few things I need them here for to go over" that means the other party doesn't have to do anything further, such as bringing or sending this new employee to you. If you don't go to the office next door where there is some random person sitting and ask them if they are the person that is supposed to get a piece of equipment, then you have failed at your job and can rightly be accused of that.

If you were to ask 100 people what "ready aside from a few things I need them here for" means, all 100 would not think that "they needed to do anything."

Also if you once said anything that you probably shouldn't have said, just claim that you don't ever remember saying that and if you did say it you would have remembered, thus it didn't happen!

I need the gently caress out of this place.

tbh, I feel "ready aside from a few things I need them here for to go over" is too vague for most users. Need to be explicit "I need so-and-so to finish, can you send them to me"

If you say "It's ready, but ..." most people stop listening at "rea"

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

The Fool posted:

tbh, I feel "ready aside from a few things I need them here for to go over" is too vague for most users. Need to be explicit "I need so-and-so to finish, can you send them to me"

If you say "It's ready, but ..." most people stop listening at "rea"

That's fine and dandy, but coming at me with an accusatory tone, stating that I could have just went to this random dude next door and asked if it was him over and over again, and continuing to accuse me of being 100% in the wrong instead of just saying "Oh sorry, I misunderstood" is unacceptable in my mind.

I also have not once had someone misunderstand what that means, and I've been wording it that way for years. Trust me, though, when this particular individual has a similar situation it will be very very clearly spelled out.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Proteus Jones posted:

Hahahahah no.

Yeah it’s a clever sham. Im trying to make sure all my people are taking time after big deliverables and long weekends around holidays and such but some teams just meat grinder their people

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I'm in a bad way, pushing 40 with zero certs to show and a 3rd shift job doing Security admin stuff - SIEM offenses, DDoS mitigation (mostly automated), AV provisioning, HIDs card admin/physical security

All my previous work history is stuff like NOC and call center work, so not very highly valued.

I'm debating just leaving the industry, but i think that's just because i have no clue as to what i'm to do now and i'm burning out hard with the 3rd shift work.

Goons, what is my best option that doesn't involve uprooting my family and moving to a tech-heavy non-Midwest city?

This is all valuable experience. What kind of work do you want to do in the future? You may not need any certs to get to where you want to be and there could be other areas to focus on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm up to 3 or 4 weeks PTO but my wife only gets 2 week so I take a lot of long weekends.

Sick time isn't counted here but if you are out more than 3 or 4 days in a row you better have a good reason. We had one guy that abused this poo poo out of this but since he called in so much his tickets were a mess so management just "fixed the glitch" by eliminating his position.

Ontario almost passed a law to make it illegal for employers to ask for sick notes but then we lost our mind in a provincial election.