Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So you're in Chicago for the day? If you hit up the Bean, yell my name over the railing to the west at the poor assholes working out on the patio. Maybe I'll answer.

Yeah, flew in Wednesday, drove to Indianapolis last night. Parked under the bean at one point even :v:

Also, holy gently caress parking in Chicago is expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, flew in Wednesday, drove to Indianapolis last night. Parked under the bean at one point even :v:

Yes it is. I was at a job at the restaurant under the Bean yesterday from about 8:00 am to 7:00-ish pm. $43.00. Luckily, that gets passed on to the client's invoice. Enjoy Indy. I'm jealous.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Congrats STR going to keep doing any side gigs?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

IOwnCalculus posted:

What did you end up paying?

My wife and I went to the theater district for a concert three weeks ago, we parked for about 20 hours and it was $46. Yeah, kind of expensive but not nearly what I was expecting to pay in the heart of downtown.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Congrats on the new job! And congrats on getting it in a place that feels nice and is close. That's worth a bunch.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave posted:

Congrats STR going to keep doing any side gigs?

Yeah I am; this starts out as part time, but I can move to full time after awhile. It's not gonna pay the bills on its own.

Suburban Dad posted:

Glad nobody hosed it up for you from here this time. :v:

One may notice I didn't mention what the company is... or location. Or even the specific city I live in since moving to the Austin area..

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

speaking of austin me and my brother in law are trying to convince our wives to move to austin because we're sick of michigan lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Read that as autism and was like drat bro Michigan ain't that bad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

STR posted:

Yeah I am; this starts out as part time, but I can move to full time after awhile. It's not gonna pay the bills on its own.

One may notice I didn't mention what the company is... or location. Or even the specific city I live in since moving to the Austin area..

Someone hosed up a job opportunity for you?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

Someone hosed up a job opportunity for you?

Yeah, somebody called his new potential workplace and made threats claiming to be him. Another (probably same) dude sent a bunch of doctored quotes of my posts here to my wife trying to end our relationship.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah. Not something I really want to rehash, but the tl;dr is I mentioned specifics about a new job. I got fired before my first day and blacklisted company-wide. I was a rehire too, so I would have been able to drop right in and start working with pretty much zero training. I'd previously left on good terms.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

speaking of austin me and my brother in law are trying to convince our wives to move to austin because we're sick of michigan lol

We're full. :v:

A it's hot and muggy in the summer, but it's pretty awesome aside from that (and I-35... nuke that poo poo from orbit already)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, somebody called his new potential workplace and made threats claiming to be him. Another (probably same) dude sent a bunch of doctored quotes of my posts here to my wife trying to end our relationship.

What the literal gently caress? :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

What the literal gently caress? :psyduck:

Yeah, we have at least one piece of poo poo here using a fake facebook name to gently caress with people's lives.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Could you imagine being that pathetic though?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I imagine being such a worthless sack of poo poo is incredibly depressing. Only by trying to ruin others can he find any happiness for himself.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I completely get that, I only spent 4 months there and that was enough for me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
People get loving weird on the internet, man. I don't understand it myself, but anonymity gives people a sense of power that some people seem to take a perverse amount of joy from

But congrats on becoming a regular wage slave instead of just a gig slave STR, maybe now you can get cooler cars since you don't need to use them so hard

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

So I woke up to my phone being blown up by the manager that interviewed me yesterday. 3 calls, plus a text. Called back groggy as hell, since it was 2pm, so of course I'm asleep (I'm interviewing for an overnight position, don't usually wake up until about 2:30, normally work 3-11 as it is).

"How soon can you be here? I have someone that wants to talk to you"
Uhhh, 20 or 30 minutes? I don't live far, just need to get dressed.
"Okay. Ask for <name> as soon as you get here, he'll be waiting - he's the store manager"

Store Manager meets me as I walk in. We go to a conference room, we talk about 5 or 10 minutes. Couple of role play scenarios, he asks if I have questions, he answers them, then... "Tell you what, let's go to the next room. I have someone else I want you to talk to"

Walk into the next room. It looks suspiciously like an HR office, and the person that greets me looks a lot like an HR type. "Hi, I'm <name>, the HR manager for the store. So we'd like to formally extend a job offer pending a background check, how does $$/hour sound?"

Glassdoor made it sound like the hiring process takes several weeks. It took almost 2 weeks from when I applied to when I had my first interview, then it was about 24 hours from first interview to signing on the dotted line. Guess I'm a W2 slave again.

To be fair, I used the "sitting in your chair" line, which was a little aggressive on my part. I've also worked with a lot of "rough" no bullshit managers, and they're the kind of managers I prefer working with. I'd rather have someone slap me upside the head and tell me I'm loving something up, instead of writing me up after a couple of months of not knowing I've been constantly loving up.

This is more of a lateral move in terms of pay. My actual take home will be a bit less than what I make now as a contractor (and one of my 1099 gigs is actually for this company; I had to terminate my contract with them today to accept the W2 job), but I won't have to worry about self employment tax, car expenses (less than 2 miles each way, vs the 100+ miles I drive a day now - I'll probably walk or bike most of the time), and if I can eventually make full time, there's a good shot at making it a career. Once you factor in all my current expenses, the pay comes pretty close to balancing out.

It's a job I've done before for a couple of different employers, it's an industry I've worked in before and enjoyed... I just need to learn their way of doing it. The meet and greet last night showed it wasn't much different from what I'm used to.

:yotj:
Congrats! Now start moving up. :)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

STR posted:

(less than 2 miles each way, vs the 100+ miles I drive a day now - I'll probably walk or bike most of the time)

This is going to be a huuuuuuuuuuuuge weight off of your shoulders (if you don't realize it yet.)

In late 2012 I quit my job as a field technician that had me driving upwards of 4,000 miles/month and started working two months later at an office that was maybe 3 miles from home. I didn't even realize at the time how much stress that much driving was causing me until I stopped doing it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kinda sad that we have someone here that would stoop to that kind of low life bullshit. loving pathetic doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kinda sad that we have someone here that would stoop to that kind of low life bullshit. loving pathetic doesn’t even begin to describe it.

The internet was a mistake.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Suburban Dad posted:

The internet was a mistake.

AI is supposed to be our island of calm in the shitstorm, though, and some prick has to poke holes in that.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The Door Frame posted:

People get loving weird on the internet, man. I don't understand it myself, but anonymity gives people a sense of power that some people seem to take a perverse amount of joy from

Back in my Quake 2 days I was in a clan and my clan leader gave me admin power on our pub server after he got to know me. The ability to kick people from the game was this massive rush I'd never experienced before in my life. I actually went giddy with endorphins the first time I did it. I was in my 30's.

I can't imagine being immature and feeling those kinds of feelings.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Back in my Quake 2 days I was in a clan and my clan leader gave me admin power on our pub server after he got to know me. The ability to kick people from the game was this massive rush I'd never experienced before in my life. I actually went giddy with endorphins the first time I did it. I was in my 30's.

I can't imagine being immature and feeling those kinds of feelings.

See, this I understand, because every multiplayer gamer has had to deal with some toxic shitlord at one time or another, and to finally have the power to look down from the bench, raise your gavel, and quietly whisper "No" while loving them into oblivion is a marvelous treat every single time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just think how great it'll feel if there are days you don't need to use the car, it'll make the days you can just go for a drive so much better. Congrats STR.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sidenote,

Anyone else using CBD? I thought this poo poo was snake oil but after the pain in my elbow persisted I took my friends advice and got some CBD cream and jesus, in four days the pain has diminished tremendously, to the point that the pain is barely even noticeable unless I lift something extremely heavy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Powershift posted:

That's the old one, the new one is even better looking.

And the US is getting it! in 25 years when it becomes legal to import.

Why can't we have nice things :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Why can't we have nice things :(

because you ruin them

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The fact that there are at two websites dedicated to "trolling" SA is a testament to just how pathetic the extremely online types are.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Sidenote,

Anyone else using CBD? I thought this poo poo was snake oil but after the pain in my elbow persisted I took my friends advice and got some CBD cream and jesus, in four days the pain has diminished tremendously, to the point that the pain is barely even noticeable unless I lift something extremely heavy.

I had a friend give me a couple doses of the oral oil, and while there wasn't any magical, immediate relief, the muscle pain I was suffering from just kind of melted away after 30-60m. I was sold, but I'm still young and fit enough that I'm not having trouble with anything chronic, so I don't keep the stuff around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beach Bum posted:

I had a friend give me a couple doses of the oral oil, and while there wasn't any magical, immediate relief, the muscle pain I was suffering from just kind of melted away after 30-60m. I was sold, but I'm still young and fit enough that I'm not having trouble with anything chronic, so I don't keep the stuff around.

Well I just hit 40 and a year ago moved to a job where I'm doing more than flipping through comic books so there's been a little wear and tear on my elbows. I'm also probably in the best shape I've been in since I was 25 so that probably helps. This stuff is pretty great so far.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Rhyno posted:

Sidenote,

Dmso mixed with cbd is the go to ouchie cream in the house. Higher doses of cbd taken sublingual for anxious times helps by quite a bit.

It's good stuff, but it's not magic. Not as effective as a benzo or an *actual* pain reliever when needed, but good for dulling the edge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Dmso mixed with cbd is the go to ouchie cream in the house. Higher doses of cbd taken sublingual for anxious times helps by quite a bit.

It's good stuff, but it's not magic. Not as effective as a benzo or an *actual* pain reliever when needed, but good for dulling the edge.

I'm on the prowl for a new GP so I can get some actual medical treatment for this but for now, this is doing wonders.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i tried the marijuana gel caps and they're bullshit

I'll try again once i get over this cold or flu or ebola or whatever i got goin on, but meh

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

i tried the marijuana gel caps and they're bullshit

Edibles can be tricky.

If you're on an empty stomach sometimes it helps to eat something else along with them.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Cbd bioavailability is garbage orally. Something like 13% or some nonsense, so to get a decent dose in a pill you have to take a heroic amount in comparison to other routes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Cbd bioavailability is garbage orally. Something like 13% or some nonsense, so to get a decent dose in a pill you have to take a heroic amount in comparison to other routes.

I have had good luck with CBD, at least initially. I've got a neuroma, which is an inflamed bundle of nerves, in each of my feet. Caused by and aggravated by cycling. I have a standard 25-mile out-and-back loop that gets very painful after the first hour. With sublingual CBD, the onset of the pain is absolutely delayed by 20% or so. Plus, when it hits, it doesn't hit as hard.

I recognize that there can be any number of biases that offset actual performance, etc., but in my experience, it helps.

Edit: In other news, I went for the comedy option for tires for my Avalon. LIONHART 215/50-17 for $46 each from Amazon. They showed up today. Manufacture date of 10/19... the damned things are only 11 weeks old! Manufactured in Thailand and they look like any other tire I've ever bought. I'll get them mounted/balanced/installed by early next week. I'm anxious to see how they roll.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 24, 2019

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I never realized the simplicity of cannabutter until my brother in law broke it down whereas you can enhance virtually any food with it.

edit:

ExplodingSims posted:

The fact that there are at two websites dedicated to "trolling" SA is a testament to just how pathetic the extremely online types are.

Imagine having the time and resources available to think and execute "yeah, I definitely need to make a site for bitching about another site!" Or even worse yet being the other person that sees that site and is like, "That site doesn't troll/bitch about the other website enough, THERE SHOULD BE ANOTHER!" It boggles the mind.

keykey fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 24, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've still got a jar of each the indica that's 2.5mg thc/3.0mg CBD per cap, and sativa that's 2.73 mg thc/3.16mg CBD per cap and i'll probably give it another shot when i'm feeling a little better overall, but i tried everything, including chewing them and keeping it in my mouth, and keeping a bunch of em under my tongue until they got all gooey and gross. It still seems to take a ton.

I really don't like smoking or the smell of the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I want to try CBD for anxiety, but 1) in TN there's no THC in them and 2) I'm still paranoid af that it'll show up on a drug test.