Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

I'm disappointed in all of you. I'd DD that million dollar 300SL on BAT if I could afford it.

I haven't had a commute in 3 years.

Yeah this is where you and I differ from most. If you don't have to commute suddenly you can drive a whole heap of questionable vehicles since when you drive you're doing it more because you want to rather than because you HAVE to.

I'm under no illusions that I get away with driving what I do (along with my wife) specifically because we do not commute, if we did suddenly a manual transmission diesel truck might not be as fun to drive.

EDIT
Or pull a Tremek and daily drive that rad as gently caress AMG wagon, though the cost in that is just raw money from maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I hated flying into JFK at 7AM and packing into a poo poo rental for an hour and a half to drive to Pearl River, NY on a regular basis. If I actually had to commute a reasonable distance every day (like when I almost took a job at LAX), I'd probably seriously consider an S class and be eagerly awaiting self driving cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Did VW look at Kia's terrible Stinger sales and go "We need that, but less fun."?

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-volkswagen-arteon-is-a-different-kind-of-statu-1834740744

Edit: Seriously, look at how VW describes it:

quote:

VW’s people called out its rivals as the Infiniti Q50, Acura TLX, Nissan Maxima and Kia Stinger.

Ah, yes, the Nissan Maxima - the breakaway financial and critical success that VAG is just dying for.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 23, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've never had a commute commute. I lived about 20 miles from work in KC but it was a 25-30 minute drive at most since I don't work normal hours. Now I live less than a 10 minute drive from work.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've recently been dreaming about not having to own a car that would be awesome. But where I live and having a family it would be almost impossible. My wife lived in downtown Boston for years and never had a car, she could walk to work and to get whatever she needed, I would love that but it's not going to happen anywhere in Florida lol.

I spent about four months driving boring rental cars and that combined with the fact that I really find automatics mind numbingly boring to drive had me day dreaming about giving up cars entirely. Unfortunately, there's basically no way to make that happen because my girlfriend's parents depend on both of us being fairly close and that means moving to a proper city is largely out of the question.

On the bright side, I'm 100% remote these days so at least I don't have a commute. I still put about 3k miles on my car per year since the area I live in is only walkable for basic necessities and while I technically have access to public transit it's really loving terrible.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

KillHour posted:

Did VW look at Kia's terrible Stinger sales and go "We need that, but less fun."?

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-volkswagen-arteon-is-a-different-kind-of-statu-1834740744

Edit: Seriously, look at how VW describes it:

Ah, yes, the Nissan Maxima - the breakaway financial and critical success that VAG is just dying for.

Despite their marketing talk, the Arteon really isn't competing with the Stinger at all, I can't imagine someone cross-shopping them.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Wheeee posted:

Despite their marketing talk, the Arteon really isn't competing with the Stinger at all, I can't imagine someone cross-shopping them.

Weird coincidence, a friend of mine is looking for a new car and just last week he asked me what I think of the Arteon and the Stinger.

They do actually have a lot of similarities, the big ones are that they're both fastbacks and they both have above average interiors. You can even get really similar ones as far as price and performance goes: the base prices are almost the same for the 2.0l turbo Arteon (272hp) and Stinger (247hp). The only huge difference between these is rwd vs fwd, which of course is quite a big difference, but might not really be all that important for someone who just wants a fastback style car with >200hp. The other major difference is that you get more tech with a base Stinger, so the Arteon will probably end up being more expensive with options.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd love to be able to treat a car as a status symbol but you know, money

I've never owned a car that was less than 10 years old and I don't imagine that changing.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

sunaurus posted:

Weird coincidence, a friend of mine is looking for a new car and just last week he asked me what I think of the Arteon and the Stinger.

They do actually have a lot of similarities, the big ones are that they're both fastbacks and they both have above average interiors. You can even get really similar ones as far as price and performance goes: the base prices are almost the same for the 2.0l turbo Arteon (272hp) and Stinger (247hp). The only huge difference between these is rwd vs fwd, which of course is quite a big difference, but might not really be all that important for someone who just wants a fastback style car with >200hp. The other major difference is that you get more tech with a base Stinger, so the Arteon will probably end up being more expensive with options.

There's also a Buick regal sportback, which I think is available with either fwd or awd and a 2.0 turbo 4 or a 3.6 v6 in the GS trim, but that's the extent of my knowledge on that car. No idea what it's like reliability-wise, but if he's looking at a VW he might be a bit of a gambler.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

It probably didn't cost them all that much if it's on their modular platform thing. I'd still rather have the GLI if I were buying into the VW life anyway.

e: $35k to 45k :newlol:

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 23, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

KillHour posted:

I mean, once upon a time the Maxima was a top tier FWD sports sedan. Nissan has been riding on that legacy for like two decades too long, so I guess VW wants to get in on it too. My mom still has a huge amount of loyalty to Nissan literally entirely based on how much she loved her 4th gen Maxima.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KillHour posted:

Did VW look at Kia's terrible Stinger sales and go "We need that, but less fun."?...

That is either going to get snapped up like gangbusters, or completely ignored and be gone in 5 years.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Prong Song posted:

or completely ignored and be gone in 5 years.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The Prong Song posted:

That is either going to get snapped up like gangbusters, or completely ignored and be gone in 5 years.

This reminds me, the corrado never took off as a collectible car/future classic like everyone said it would, did it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

As Nero Danced posted:

This reminds me, the corrado never took off as a collectible car/future classic like everyone said it would, did it?

Nice ones are fetching a premium on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/search/corrado/
I would say those prices feel commensurate with what they are. It's not a huge market but people who want them certainly are willing to spend.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

KakerMix posted:

Yeah this is where you and I differ from most. If you don't have to commute suddenly you can drive a whole heap of questionable vehicles since when you drive you're doing it more because you want to rather than because you HAVE to.

I'm under no illusions that I get away with driving what I do (along with my wife) specifically because we do not commute, if we did suddenly a manual transmission diesel truck might not be as fun to drive.

I'm not a grumpy old man yet but years ago I realized that the definition of "luxury car" is "a car you know will start every single day".

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sorry for bringing up phone chat again.

The new Corollas don't come with Android auto out of the box. However, they're supposed to get it. At some point.

Is it possible to get in on your infotainment on your own ? Like, is it just a matter of transferring an iso from another model that is compatible?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

kimbo305 posted:

Nice ones are fetching a premium on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/search/corrado/
I would say those prices feel commensurate with what they are. It's not a huge market but people who want them certainly are willing to spend.

Yeah but a <10K mile NA in Sunburst Yellow recently brought home like $17K. That's not the Corrado turning into a collector car, it's BaT rapidly turning into the next Mecum/Barret-Jackson auction site.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lord Stimperor posted:

Sorry for bringing up phone chat again.

The new Corollas don't come with Android auto out of the box. However, they're supposed to get it. At some point.

Is it possible to get in on your infotainment on your own ? Like, is it just a matter of transferring an iso from another model that is compatible?

best option is to swap in an aftermarket system for 3-500 bucks

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Prong Song posted:

Yeah but a <10K mile NA in Sunburst Yellow recently brought home like $17K. That's not the Corrado turning into a collector car, it's BaT rapidly turning into the next Mecum/Barret-Jackson auction site.

Jesus Christ, I better get another NA Miata before that market starts getting stupid too.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Prong Song posted:

Nice. My trash heap of a 95M will be like my old 914. I'll get tired of its bullshit and sell it right before the market for them heats up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Prong Song posted:

That's not the Corrado turning into a collector car, it's BaT rapidly turning into the next Mecum/Barret-Jackson auction site.

That seems tautological. If the site can find people willing to pay for a car, doesn't that make it a collector car?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mazda seems to have released Japanese prices for their new Skyactiv X engines. A Mazda 3 with the normal G engine apparently costs 24k$, Skyactiv X engine in the same trim rises to 30k$.

Thats some harsh pricing only early adopters will tolerate - you'll have to have quite some mileage to make up for those 6k. And during that time, you have to tolerate the added risk of a new engine technology.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/mazdas-next-gen-engine-may-signal-us-pricing-strategy

BraveUlysses posted:

best option is to swap in an aftermarket system for 3-500 bucks

How would that work? I've been trying to Google around, but I can't find anything. I mean I think the new Corolla's infotainment is so abysmally sluggish and bad-looking that it needs an update anyway. But I'm only finding what are essentially stereo units for inside the console, or outright factory replacements for the standard touchscreen. But no alternative systems. If they exist, how would I find them?

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 25, 2019

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

How would that work? I've been trying to Google around, but I can't find anything. I mean I think the new Corolla's infotainment is so abysmally sluggish and bad-looking that it needs an update anyway. But I'm only finding what are essentially stereo units for inside the console, or outright factory replacements for the standard touchscreen. But no alternative systems. If they exist, how would I find them?

You basically have replace the whole thing which may include buying a whole new radio surround (sometimes with other controls built in depending on the level of integration).

Some of these kits that allow you to install aftermarket headunits range from "okay" to "utter poo poo".

Mazda is the only manufacturer that I can think of that sold an upgrade to earlier cars to support AA/Car Play.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Stimperor posted:

But no alternative systems. If they exist, how would I find them?

The answer to your question is no, mainstream alternative OSs for factory head units do not yet exist for any manufacturer (outside of very individualized hacking scenarios) and are not likely to. Not sure of all the reasons but that's the case.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Well that's poo poo

Thank you for the explanations

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Something Offal posted:

The answer to your question is no, mainstream alternative OSs for factory head units do not yet exist for any manufacturer (outside of very individualized hacking scenarios) and are not likely to. Not sure of all the reasons but that's the case.

The Mazda system was hacked to add Android Auto but not Carplay. It didn't work that well though because the USB ports in the car weren't capable of delivering enough power to keep the phone charged while using navigation (the official kit has a new USB hub as well as the software update)

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

dissss posted:

The Mazda system was hacked to add Android Auto but not Carplay. It didn't work that well though because the USB ports in the car weren't capable of delivering enough power to keep the phone charged while using navigation (the official kit has a new USB hub as well as the software update)

I did the hack and the charging situation is not too bad. The bigger thing for me is that apparently there isn't enough RAM to use both AA and the stock system at the same time. I'll try to play music from a flash drive and it will cause AA to crash and not recover until a reboot. That and having to plug in the phone every time means that AA is not really the game changer I thought it would be.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

kimbo305 posted:

That seems tautological. If the site can find people willing to pay for a car, doesn't that make it a collector car?

That's a discussion that can get pretty deep into opinion-land. Is a PT Cruiser a collector's car, or a 1985 Dodge Colt? Much like the opinion expressed by folks when two wierdos meetup and love each other, there's some car out there for everyone. Does that make it a collector's car, or does that mean there was a person out there who isn't a collector but is willing to pay near-collector prices? Or do cars just automatically become collector's cars when they old and get sold for more than their original purchase price?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
your fundamentally wrong underlying assumption is that when cars get old, at some point they inevitably will sell for more than their original purchase price

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just rented a new (6,000 Miles) Cadillac XT5 and was underwhelmed. The quality of the wands and shifter was shoddy. The dash screen also looked like it was from a budget impala.

It was super far behind the Audi Q5 which I also rented a few months ago

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

euphronius posted:

I just rented a new (6,000 Miles) Cadillac XT5 and was underwhelmed. The quality of the wands and shifter was shoddy. The dash screen also looked like it was from a budget impala.

It was super far behind the Audi Q5 which I also rented a few months ago

Yeah, they really did a boner when they switched from CTS based to malibu based

It would be neat to take a first gen SRX and stick a straight piped 350 chevy in it

Powershift fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 28, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

your fundamentally wrong underlying assumption is that when cars get old, at some point they inevitably will sell for more than their original purchase price

In a long enough timeline, that'll happen. In a hundred years, the last surviving PT Cruisers will be worth a mint. Currency will be dead and what's left of humanity will be bartering with food and metal shards, but that's beside the point.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CornHolio posted:

In a long enough timeline, that'll happen. In a hundred years, the last surviving PT Cruisers will be worth a mint. Currency will be dead and what's left of humanity will be bartering with food and metal shards, but that's beside the point.

Just like classic Yugos and Ladas

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Just like classic Yugos and Ladas

The more they made, the longer it will take. Look at the Model T and Model A, a clean, running one of those is worth a decent amount.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I feel like because the boomers loved the PT Cruiser, they'll be dead by the time they become scarce enough to be collectables. You need to find the cars the kids liked and will covet when they become old monied shitheads.

Good time to lock up a mint Kia Soul I guess.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

I feel like because the boomers loved the PT Cruiser, they'll be dead by the time they become scarce enough to be collectables. You need to find the cars the kids liked and will covet when they become old monied shitheads.

Good time to lock up a mint Kia Soul I guess.

I can guarantee that as of this writing, there are more than one Kia Soul locked away in a storage unit somewhere, covered in plastic, the original plastic still on the seats.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The PT cruiser will never be a classic because it was trying to ape classics.

It was for the boomers who wanted a 1930's wagon but couldn't afford/live with the reality of a 1930's car.

Also it wasn't rare, it wasn't cool, and it wasn't good looking.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

People who earn enough money they can afford to buy pristine examples of things that made them happy when they were younger is something that will never end. We tend to like reminders of simpler, happier times in our lives I guess.

You see this across all generations. It's not always cars, but cars play a big part of some peoples lives. Some folks spend hundreds or thousands on old Nintendo games, or Pokemon cards, or whatever.

I'm not quite ready for a mid life crisis just yet, but someone felt the need to spend 26K on this https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-dodge-neon/ The SRT-4 was not a very good car by any objective measure, but to my 22 year old self, it was awesome and owning one again would bring back the memories around that time. I get the nostalgia.

A 1989 Ford Escort was my first car (sadly not the GT), but the dude in this article finds the need to keep his going. https://jalopnik.com/the-best-cars-of-the-woodward-dream-cruise-are-the-meti-1828463917 sadly that for sure will never be a collectors item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The PT cruiser will never be a classic because it was trying to ape classics.

It was for the boomers who wanted a 1930's wagon but couldn't afford/live with the reality of a 1930's car.

Also it wasn't rare, it wasn't cool, and it wasn't good looking.

Also a total bummer to work on because of the packaging necessary to fit the weirdo profile up front. Headlights? Maybe you can do them without removing the front wheels, if you have tiny elven hands. Waterpump? That's an engine-out operation.