Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I’ve been making a divination wizard for a game I’m in whose gimmick is that he’s a cheaty gambler. He has the Lucky feat, and that’s gonna be combined with Portent. It’s probably gonna be hilariously broken.

That said, I’m considering also doing a 2-level Rogue dip for skills/Cunning Action; should I? If so, when? Also, any suggestions for spells I might not already have or should target in the future?

I wouldn't dip Rogue, no. You're a Wizard: you don't need skills.

Are you asking for what spells are good or what spells fit your theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Are you asking for what spells are good or what spells fit your theme?

Both, really.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Never forget that you can dual-wield lances while mounted and get free disengage, so go buck wild.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Stupid question: Are lances even things you'd actually use in a fight, and not just in silly carnival jousts (which can kill you but aren't really a "fight")?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Stupid question: Are lances even things you'd actually use in a fight, and not just in silly carnival jousts (which can kill you but aren't really a "fight")?

They were pretty drat effective during the middle ages when wielded by cavalry for charging and breaking infantry and archer lines. Effective enough that the pike became a necessity to counter charging cavalry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancer

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Lances are basically spears in real life, not the big fat wooden dowels you see in carnivals. When martial artists use the big floppy spears, those are lances. The closest thing to a pike in 5E is also a lance. When Spartans use spears in 300, those are shortspears.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yes but imagine instead of a poxy one handed stick designed to break on impact you have a 15ft long wooden pole with a sharpened steel tip that's thick enough to survive a full speed charge and you wield it with two hands while steering your horse with your knees. gently caress armour. gently caress infantry formations. This thing starts poking and it does not stop.

In three words: raw stopping power.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 24, 2019

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

WELP Druidchat a few pages back inspired an Eberron 5e oneshot about tracking down a bunch of druids that had sabotaged a portion of the Lightning Rail via planting a bunch of fast-growing plants under it because gently caress you trains.

Looking more and more like it's gonna blossom into a full campaign.

Thanks again, Trad Games. You mostly never let me down.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
If you are at all interested in stuff relating to lances, armour, knights, horses and plenty more medieval stuff. Can't recommend Modern History TV more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_D1ZQ7Hu0g

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Lances were useful to the degree that lancers remained a thing into the 1900s.

The 17th Lancers (who yeah, carried lances) are the dudes you're probably thinking of when you think "charge of the light brigade". The actual lances they use look more like spears than the jousting sticks you're probably picturing though.

Polish winged hussars were very famously lancers too and their outfits were D&D as gently caress.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Speaking of, what are some good alternate styles for monk other than Shaolin karate-man? I've seen the luchador grappler one, but in 5e wouldn't that be better done with a barbarian?

Baritsu user. Give yourself a big ol handlebar moustache and a monocle. Take Tavern Brawler or ask your DM if you can source reinforced canes and watch chains to fight with. Buy Blinding powder and keep it in a snuff box.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Both, really.

By no means exhaustive

Cantrips:
Toll the Dead: your best basic attack option; Fire Bolt if you want something that can target objects.
Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion: no introduction needed
Mage Hand: telekinesis
Mold Earth: instantly dig, shape sand, very useful

1st Level:
Find Familiar: essential ritual, get an owl and have it fly around giving you or your allies Advantage using the Help action. Also scouts and poo poo.
Mage Armor: have non-poo poo AC
Shield: have actual good AC when it counts
Absorb Elements: so you don't die to elemental AoEs
Detect Magic: essential ritual
Identify: essential ritual, works on magical objects you run into, not just items
Magic Missile: the best 1st level spell slot damage option
Fog Cloud: situational, but can be a lifesaver

2nd Level:
Misty Step: bonus action teleport
Web: the big thing is that they need spend an action to get free, but be mindful of allies
Dragon's Breath: cast on your familiar and now you have an AoE kill drone
Suggestion: talk with your DM on how they'll adjudicate it
Enlarge/Reduce: good utility, and can also be a pretty big buff on a party member that can figure out how to make the most of it
Hold Person: gently caress humanoid

3rd Level:
Fireball: large area, high damage. A wizard staple.
Hypnotic Pattern: one of the best CC spells
Dispel Magic: it dispels magic
Counterspell: counter enemy casters (best on Bards and Sorcerers, though)
Slow: excellent debuff when you fight multi-attack enemies. Also trolls casters big time, but those tend to have better WIS saves.
Tiny Hut: essential ritual
Fly: come on

4th level:
Banishment: charisma, save or time out, or lose for extraplanars
Polymorph: turns your foes into snails and your friends into giant apes
Dimension Door: bigger teleport
Black Tentacles: it's like web but they need to check vs restrained every turn

There's also a bunch of very good single-target buffs like Protection from Evil, Haste, Greater Invisibility, etc that martials will love to have on them, but if that's the game you wanted to play you'd be better off as a Sorcerer.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks for the Horse Chat. I'm planning on changing my Skeleton Fighter into a Skeleton Paladin (Lawful Good, long back story) at the end of this campaign and I really want him to go balls-wild with charging with a lance and then (after the horse dies) pulling out his scimitar for high levels of chaos fighting.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

W.T. Fits posted:

Does anyone here ever go out of their way to give their dwarf characters a non-Scottish accent, if only to buck the trend/stereotype? I played in a one-shot game online a few weeks ago where I rolled up a mountain dwarf stone sorcerer and had him speak in a thick, Russian accent just for the hell of it, and it was pretty fun.

I cannot remember her name for the life of me, but I played for ages with someone who had a female Duergar cleric of Lathander. She always did the character in a west country accent (look it up), and it was hilarious. This cleric was the utter opposite of a duergar: loved the open air, the sun, running water, growing things etc

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

West country's the pirate one because of that one actor, yeah?

I played online with a dude who rarely broke character in voice chat and had a thick northern english accent. Took me a month to realise that it wasn't his character's accent.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 24, 2019

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I’m about to create a lvl 5 cleric for Tomb of Annihilation. Goons, sell me on the best cleric domain!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

plester1 posted:

I’m about to create a lvl 5 cleric for Tomb of Annihilation. Goons, sell me on the best cleric domain!

Light. You don't get Heavy Armor or Warhammer proficiency but who cares with the spells you get.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't usually see people going for Light! I am enjoying the one I'm currently playing but people usually recommend Life (for Maximum Healer) or like, Arcana (because you basically get to pretend to be a Wizard).

It has a workhorse-like solid Channel Divinity, a meh defensive option and a REALLY good capstone, should you ever actually reach it. If it had the heavy armor/melee bonus type of Cleric build so you didn't have to rely on the underwhelming Cleric cantrips for free damage it'd be REALLY great overall.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

plester1 posted:

Tempest gets Heavy Armor, damage/knockback on enemies that hit it, and a maximize damage Channel Divinity option that lets it twice per short rest turn Shatter into a mini Fireball.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

By no means exhaustive

Cantrips:
Toll the Dead: your best basic attack option; Fire Bolt if you want something that can target objects.
Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion: no introduction needed
Mage Hand: telekinesis
Mold Earth: instantly dig, shape sand, very useful

1st Level:
Find Familiar: essential ritual, get an owl and have it fly around giving you or your allies Advantage using the Help action. Also scouts and poo poo.
Mage Armor: have non-poo poo AC
Shield: have actual good AC when it counts
Absorb Elements: so you don't die to elemental AoEs
Detect Magic: essential ritual
Identify: essential ritual, works on magical objects you run into, not just items
Magic Missile: the best 1st level spell slot damage option
Fog Cloud: situational, but can be a lifesaver
That list is pretty good for a level 1 wizard because it's the essential "i am not useless" fight spells (magic missile, shield, mage armor) and it got all the rituals you need so you don't waste spell slots out of combat or end up useless after a fight where you wasted them all.
I would add Light to the cantrip list so you can ensure your human friends can see.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't usually see people going for Light! I am enjoying the one I'm currently playing but people usually recommend Life (for Maximum Healer) or like, Arcana (because you basically get to pretend to be a Wizard).

It has a workhorse-like solid Channel Divinity, a meh defensive option and a REALLY good capstone, should you ever actually reach it. If it had the heavy armor/melee bonus type of Cleric build so you didn't have to rely on the underwhelming Cleric cantrips for free damage it'd be REALLY great overall.

Yeah! :hfive:

Light cleric is my favourite class to personally play (as much mechanically as being able to be all "I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!" and whatever), and I have one as one of the premades I have on hand for the one shots I run. I've had her get picked almost every game and she steals the show every time.

The spell list is pretty great; Faerie Fire, Scorching Ray, and motherfuckin' Fireball

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 24, 2019

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah! :hfive:

Light cleric is my favourite class to personally play (as much mechanically as being able to be all "I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!" and whatever), and I have one as one of the premades I have on hand for the one shots I run. I've had her get picked almost every game and she steals the show every time.

The spell list is pretty great; Faerie Fire, Scorching Ray, and motherfuckin' Fireball

The only downside of Fireball is that Cleric level 3 spells are loving PACKED with poo poo you might want to use instead, either for utility, saving someones rear end (Revivify!) or more consistent turn-by-turn damage in Spirit Guardians. But when the situation presents itself that you can Fireball, it feels good to be able to do so.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Who/what is the best way to heal as a skeleton besides chugging potions and resting?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Who/what is the best way to heal as a skeleton besides chugging potions and resting?

Find someone's nonna (oma, abeula, etc) and wait for her to feed you something that will put flesh on your bones.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

West country's the pirate one because of that one actor, yeah?

I played online with a dude who rarely broke character in voice chat and had a thick northern english accent. Took me a month to realise that it wasn't his character's accent.

Also a load of pirates were originally from Bristol, so it's only mostly inaccurate

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Drink milk.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

:yohoho:

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.

W.T. Fits posted:

Does anyone here ever go out of their way to give their dwarf characters a non-Scottish accent, if only to buck the trend/stereotype? I played in a one-shot game online a few weeks ago where I rolled up a mountain dwarf stone sorcerer and had him speak in a thick, Russian accent just for the hell of it, and it was pretty fun.

Our group uses different accents depending on the variety of dwarves, our hill dwarves are german, duegar are Russian.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Thayans have German accents in my game bc they are the baddies.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My Genasi are various eastern european accents. Dwarves are Yorkshire. Elves often have a californian twang. The only Orc that they've met thus far has been Cockney, but that's because he grew up in waterdeeps underbelly. Everyone else is various semi-british accents.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

On clerics, I really like the idea of a Drow or Kobold Light Cleric who because of their sunlight sensitivity is really scared of their own magic. Dwarves should all have Russian accents, and elves all want to speak to your manager

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Dwarves tend toward Yorkshire for me. They're usually crass and chummy when they talk. Like builders on a building site.

High elves don't so much have an accent outside of my ordinary British accent. Their language is usually very considered, inoffensive and almost businesslike.

Wood elves are slightly Irish. They use flavourful, passionate language like a stereotypical Italian would, but can be quite blunt.

Dragonborn are the ones I give the Russian accents to.

Halflings usually get the stereotypical British treatment. Not so much real cockney as "shine yer boots guv'ner" fake cockney.

Gnomes get that chavvy Billie Piper vibe.

For Orcs I just speak like a Klingon, which is basically a space orc.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Azza Bamboo posted:

This Red Dragon has no honor!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

And Vulcans space-elves and Romulans space-drow

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Madmarker posted:

And Vulcans space-elves

hmm

Azza Bamboo posted:

High elves don't so much have an accent outside of my ordinary British accent. Their language is usually very considered, inoffensive and almost businesslike.

I may have been doing this already without realising.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Azza Bamboo posted:

hmm

I may have been doing this already without realising.

Add a charming high elf grandad with a fondness for jam, have him solemnly intone that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

I'm dipping my toe into online play for the first time because a friend has assembled a group of people to play from up and down the country. I have literally no idea how to run campaigns online despite years of at-table experience, is Roll20 relatively easy to learn for players and DM?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bogan Krkic posted:

On clerics, I really like the idea of a Drow or Kobold Light Cleric who because of their sunlight sensitivity is really scared of their own magic. Dwarves should all have Russian accents, and elves all want to speak to your manager

The party my (Goblin) Light Cleric is in has both a Drow AND a Kobold in it. I'm... Hoping we can find some shades for them or something by level 17.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I've got an acquaintance who is interested in D&D, but only knows about it from the Big Bang Theory. Does anyone have a good reference of a game for him to watch that isn't going to have a laughtrack, as an example of how games typically go? Preferably something that can be distilled down to 30m. Yes, I'm aware of Harmonquest, but would like other suggestions too.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I've got an acquaintance who is interested in D&D, but only knows about it from the Big Bang Theory. Does anyone have a good reference of a game for him to watch that isn't going to have a laughtrack, as an example of how games typically go? Preferably something that can be distilled down to 30m. Yes, I'm aware of Harmonquest, but would like other suggestions too.

One on one session without a grid and an hour long. You're not going to find much good dnd session content under an hour, if at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3658C2y4LlA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Reveilled posted:

I'm dipping my toe into online play for the first time because a friend has assembled a group of people to play from up and down the country. I have literally no idea how to run campaigns online despite years of at-table experience, is Roll20 relatively easy to learn for players and DM?

I haven't played any full sessions with it, but I did check it out a few months ago. It seems relatively intuitive so far as I can tell. There was an interactive tutorial also, but everything it showed me send pretty obvious.