Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I don’t think I’ll ever do enough drugs to properly appreciate Farscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

You know what late 90s/early 2000s sci fi show has aged well?

Farscape

To that,

Andromeda.

It's basically the high point of UPN/WB whatever network back then was making cheap-moderate costing Saturday afternoon serialized TV shows. It's mindless fun with mediocre-good acting and crazy dumb make-up and SFX.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
How does SeaQuest hold up?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
SeaQuest was dated in the 90's.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Len posted:

Remember Doll House? Because man was that a thing.

I like the DVD release only episode that flashed to a future where the mind wipe tech has hosed the world but all the hooker of the week was just awful.

Were those actually DVD-only episodes (there were two of them, the season finale for 1 and 2)? I thought they really recontextualized the entire show a ton into something I enjoyed for the weird transhumanist insanity of it, but it's one of those shows where it was really questionable even before it was common knowledge what a lovely scuzzball Whedon was.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

pentyne posted:

To that,

Andromeda.

It's basically the high point of UPN/WB whatever network back then was making cheap-moderate costing Saturday afternoon serialized TV shows. It's mindless fun with mediocre-good acting and crazy dumb make-up and SFX.

I loved Andromeda, but I do remember it falling apart in the later seasons. It is, however, very much early-2000's sci-fi TV, with all that that implies.

I wish Kevin Sorbo wasn't a massive rear end in a top hat, I really liked him as an actor. Not that he was good, but I found him delightful.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

Were those actually DVD-only episodes (there were two of them, the season finale for 1 and 2)? I thought they really recontextualized the entire show a ton into something I enjoyed for the weird transhumanist insanity of it, but it's one of those shows where it was really questionable even before it was common knowledge what a lovely scuzzball Whedon was.

quote:

Unaired "Epitaph One"

On April 9, 2009, Whedon rebutted speculation that Fox was set to cancel the show. Producer Tim Minear explained that the "missing" 13th episode (titled "Epitaph One") would be on the DVD release of the season. The reason Minear gave for that episode being dropped from the broadcast run was that the Fox network was counting the original first episode ("Echo"), which went unaired, as part of the original 13-episode order; in contrast, the Fox production company was required by contract to have a minimum of 13 completed episodes for international and DVD releases. According to both Minear and Whedon, the producers felt that the original first episode, having been subsequently scrapped entirely and having had its footage reused for other episodes throughout the season, should not be counted as a completed episode as part of their own 13-episode orders for international and DVD distribution but rather as a DVD extra, and thus Whedon produced a new 13th episode on a lower budget to fulfill the contractual requirements for the international broadcasts. The episode was screened at Comic-Con on July 24, 2009.

"Epitaph One" had its world premiere in Singapore on June 17, 2009, through Season Pass, an on-demand service offered by SingTel mio TV. In the United Kingdom, the episode aired on the UK Sci Fi Channel on August 11, 2009.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Len posted:

I like the DVD release only episode that flashed to a future where the mind wipe tech has hosed the world but all the hooker of the week was just awful.

It was aired in some places and it set up the main plot for the second season (which was incredibly uneven but a lot better than the first one).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

It's hard to even figure out where to begin talking about how bad that show was. Every terrible thing ties directly into three more terrible things just as worthy of criticism. I almost want to watch it again just to do an in-depth analysis.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It doesn't belong anyway but just in case, please don't openly spoil Farscape :kiddo: I'm only a few episodes into season 3, but I will finish it some day!

P.S. Whedonverse

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pentyne posted:

To that,

Andromeda.

This was true for maybe the first season. It had some interesting things going on here and there, and it had a surprising amount of moral grey. A particular highlight was an episode where they find an outpost of cargo culted Commonwealth Navy cadets with a poo poo-ton of nukes; Hunt tells them how bad nukes are and how nuking isn't the way, then confiscates the nukes and rearms the Andromeda with them "in case they're needed". Then Sorbo went nuts and the network started interfering heavily, demanding that everything be dumbed down to the point where the producers were told to remove Tyr's arm spikes "so they wouldn't have to explain what a Nietzschean was every week" - a move not unadjacent to saying "why does Spock need the pointy ears". So it's less that Andromeda didn't age well and more that it got Alzheimer's.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I like the episode where they build a new Andromeda and everyone's like "things are looking up!" and then it just explodes because it hit a space duck or something.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I never watched Dollhouse, and I know nothing about it. Can someone lay out just how terrible it is? I'm always fascinated to hear about poo poo like that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leavemywife posted:

I never watched Dollhouse, and I know nothing about it. Can someone lay out just how terrible it is? I'm always fascinated to hear about poo poo like that.

Something Awful's own Zack Parsons wrote a pretty decent overview.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Leavemywife posted:

Eliza Dushku is a brainwashed automaton who regularly receives (sexy) personality implants to become whatever kind of (sexy) operative this week's (sexy) mission requires. In between missions she relaxes in the luxury hotel warehouse and exchanges bland pleasantries with the other brainwashed automatons housed there.

As the first season develops, it becomes apparent that this high tech spy network slash brothel is not as benevolent as it seems on the surface. In fact there is something downright sinister going on!

It's been a decade and I don't remember much more than that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There's also the psychopath that the show thinks is a quirky but loveable nerd.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's also this drawn-out, self-indulgent metaphor about directors toying with actresses, molding them through the story for their own fantasies, Whedon's most blatant work yet about how he's hosed up and wants you to know it so you'll absolve him of his sins without any real effort.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And the Dollhouse are openly evil slavers from the start, but you're supposed to think they're good guys. And Echo herself is a loving idiot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Apparently they wanted the show to be more about "desire" but it turns out it was more interesting to make it about brainwashing lead to the apocalypse.

It's got some neat twists and ideas but overall it's a huge problematic mess that had aged terribly especially in light of Whedon's issues.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm convinced the only reason Dollhouse even made it into production was that everyone on the internet except me kept saying how Joss Whedon was great and Firefly shouldn't have been cancelled so the execs green lighted that pile of poo poo to make themselves look good by giving him another chance. Same reason it got more than one season.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jedit posted:

And the Dollhouse are openly evil slavers from the start, but you're supposed to think they're good guys.

Not to defend the show but this is insanely stupid and wrong. Like, holy poo poo what a dumb take.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm convinced the only reason Dollhouse even made it into production was that everyone on the internet except me kept saying how Joss Whedon was great and Firefly shouldn't have been cancelled so the execs green lighted that pile of poo poo to make themselves look good by giving him another chance. Same reason it got more than one season.

Yeah, I mean it's hard to understate the fervor that was rekindled with Serenity as well as Dr. Horrible, it was totally that.

Thinking about it, the whole Firefly phenomenon was totally a product of the time it existed. It showed up about the time that DVD came on to the scene, and for nerds it was probably their first DVD set (two unpaired episodes, and unfucked viewing order, definitely didn't hurt), which allowed them to proselytize it to other nerds who had Magic to play on Fridays.

Had it been around a few years earlier, it would probably be remembered the way we remember Space: Above and Beyond. Had it come out a few years later, I really doubt it would have had the traction it had because cable was now in every house.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

Not to defend the show but this is insanely stupid and wrong. Like, holy poo poo what a dumb take.

Doesn't the show start with a new hire being really suspicious of whats going on and trying to uncover the secrets?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

pentyne posted:

Doesn't the show start with a new hire being really suspicious of whats going on and trying to uncover the secrets?

It's been ages but IIRC it's literally a detective doing an investigation into a company that sells evenings with brainwashed sex slaves.

I don't know why I'm continually surprised when people conflate "protagonist" with "good guy" but good lord.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dr. Horrible sucked. I just really didn't get why everyone was so into it.

edit:
Then again, I'm not into super hero stuff, so that probably had a lot to do with it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:
Then again, I'm not into super hero stuff, so that probably had a lot to do with it.

:same:

It was just Cult of Wheadon crap IMHO. We had non-stop Wheadon on TV from 1997 to 2004, it was the first new thing in a few years.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:

I like superhero stuff and though Dr Horrible was pretty bad

But it was a perfect storm for nerd love. A musical miniseries by Joss Whedon starting Nathan Fillian and Felicia Day about supervillains. And it was edgy because it came out during the writers strike through loopholes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t like it but the tunes are catchy. And now stuck on my head. Thanks, assholes.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And Neil Patrick Harris is pretty good in everything I've seen him do. He looks like he has fun, really enjoys what he does and such.

Though I don't imagine I'll ever watch that sitcom he did. Maybe it was also good, maybe not. I'll never know.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ReidRansom posted:

And Neil Patrick Harris is pretty good in everything I've seen him do. He looks like he has fun, really enjoys what he does and such.

Though I don't imagine I'll ever watch that sitcom he did. Maybe it was also good, maybe not. I'll never know.

Doogie Howser MD was great though!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I remember people telling me that the Buffy musical episode was incredible, and they convinced me to watch it during a Comicon viewing. I remember walking out wondering if I lived in a bizarro world where people liked things that were really terrible. These same friends recommended Firefly and Dr. Horrible, and I was foolish enough to try watching them as well.

I don't listen to their show recommendations anymore. loving hell, Whedon is garbage.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That is why joss wedont watch his stuff anymore

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Well angel was cool

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I rewatched Buffy last year and thought it mostly held up great. Season 6 is too edgelordy for me as an adult (everyone's just miserable the whole way through and Willow getting hooked on magic is my least favorite tv plotline ever) but 2-5 are still a lot of fun.

I haven't rewatched Angel in probably ten years. I used to love it, but I wonder if I wouldn't like it as much since I didn't like the darker parts of Buffy this time and Angel was really grim in the middle seasons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Eliza Dushku is a brainwashed automaton who regularly receives (sexy) personality implants to become whatever kind of (sexy) operative this week's (sexy) mission requires. In between missions she relaxes in the luxury hotel warehouse and exchanges bland pleasantries with the other brainwashed automatons housed there.

As the first season develops, it becomes apparent that this high tech spy network slash brothel is not as benevolent as it seems on the surface. In fact there is something downright sinister going on!

It's been a decade and I don't remember much more than that.

Also the premise of the show is supposed to be how the brainwashed people have all new personalities implanted in them but Eliza Dushku is such a terrible actress all her characters come out the same.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

ReidRansom posted:

How I Met Your Mother is an overall mediocre show being hoisted on the shoulders of Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segal.

Source: I've binged the whole series on Netflix. Twice.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Also the premise of the show is supposed to be how the brainwashed people have all new personalities implanted in them but Eliza Dushku is such a terrible actress all her characters come out the same.

It was a travesty because Enver Gjoklaj was fantastic and was barely used.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pentyne posted:

It was a travesty because Enver Gjoklaj was fantastic and was barely used.

Man I forgot about him, just checked and he was in Agent Carter and I didn't realize it till just now...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

duck trucker posted:

How I Met Your Mother is an overall mediocre show being hoisted on the shoulders of Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segal.

Source: I've binged the whole series on Netflix. Twice.

I think Radnor had some good moments even if he was probably the weakest member of the cast. Leaning into it and making Ted’s pretentious douchiness a deliberate part of his character helped too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Making Ted a dick doesn’t work when it turns out Ted Was Right All Along.

He achieves all his career goals, gets to make babby with his manic pixie dream girl, and then she conveniently dies so his hot crush who has spent seasons trying to exert herself can finally realize that he’s all she ever wanted.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:28 on May 24, 2019