Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't have time to check a table of item stats before I pick stuff up I am running past every draugr in this loving dungeon while hammering the e button get on my level bitches fus roh da na na na na na na na na katamari damacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I have the same problem, and I think it comes from growing up accustomed to point & click adventures and stuff where you need to pick up everything you can, and every item has its use eventually. If you don't have the foreknowledge of what items do, how hard they are to acquire, and how many you'll need and when, it's kind of paralyzing to deal with.

Edit: I could probably go back and play Skyrim now that I have a general familiarity with Elder Scrolls items and their relative usefulness from ESO, but I was so completely lost when I tried playing it back when it was new.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 19:29 on May 24, 2019

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

RandomFerret posted:

I don't have time to check a table of item stats before I pick stuff up I am running past every draugr in this loving dungeon while hammering the e button get on my level bitches fus roh da na na na na na na na na katamari damacy

That's it, solve the encumbrance problem by having Katamari in every elder scrolls! Someone get Todd on the line.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

RandomFerret posted:

Don Gato posted:

That's it, solve the encumbrance problem by having Katamari in every elder scrolls! Someone get Todd on the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNhrUozHea8&t=708s

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://youtu.be/QYC7CBuMBOg

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

said it before, sorta don't care if nick is a douche, these and carboys were such great vids

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
For sure. I really miss CoolGames Inc too. I understand why he had to go but I'd still be watching/listening if he was still doing stuff with Polygon (his solo videos are hit and miss).

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Opening the console to increase my carry weight is something I usually do within 5 minutes of starting a new Beth game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Speaking of Bethesda and the VR video from earlier reminded me that in Skyrim VR you can lean in and phase through locked doors to hit switches that unlock them from the other side, and just push your hand into locked display cases and steal everything inside without ever opening them. Is there a Bethesda version of :dice: yet?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

haveblue posted:

I didn't understand it until I played Fallout 4, where stealing everything that isn't nailed down is much more important than most games.
Old Beth game feedback: people have the strangest compulsion to steal completely worthless cups constantly clogging their inventory

FO4 solution: make cups valuable and consumable in crafting

Gonna bet you can alchemize cups into magic in the next TES game.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Stare-Out posted:

Is there a Bethesda version of :dice: yet?

Smilie size is too small, the letters would have to clip into each other, go flying across the post, lodge into the margin, start vibrating at infinite speed and then the whole thing would crash to desktop.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've always felt that this was one of the biggest problems with this category of game. Like, clearly you have to have a limited amount of stuff you can carry because there's so much stuff in the game and it would be completely immersion-breaking for you to literally just grab every movable object and shove it into your inventory. And clearly there should be people interested in buying the cool stuff you find while out adventuring. And money is useful! We built our society around accumulating the stuff!

But as a consequence, players turn into crazy pack-rat adventurers. Two seconds after you finish unloading gear onto a vendor, your pack is full, and you spend the remaining time until the next vendor constantly dropping slightly-less-value-dense objects in favor of more-dense objects. Half the game is spent staring at your inventory and doing (estimated value) / (weight of object) calculations.

Some games have taken some steps towards addressing this. Torchlight lets you offload loot to town without actually going to town by sending your pet on a shopping trip (and you have a gratuitously huge inventory in that game anyway). ToME similarly lets you convert unwanted loot into gold at regular intervals. Angband just straight-up doesn't let you sell anything to vendors, and you get your money by finding actual money in the dungeon.
in Elder Scrolls type games I just cheat my carry capacity up so I can, in fact, shove everything in my inventory

Farecoal posted:

Unlimited inventory is best imo
:hmmyes:

RandomFerret posted:

ExCUSE me those draugr have swords which are worth money too

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

zedprime posted:

Old Beth game feedback: people have the strangest compulsion to steal completely worthless cups constantly clogging their inventory

I think besides the UI being woefully unsuitable for managing the actual amount of stuff you carry, FO4 has the issue of "sometimes a .1 lb pair of scissors salvages into a 1 lb metal brick, and sometimes a whole 10 lb desk fan breaks down into three screws" as well as the miscellaneous fetch-quests that ask for an intact silver pocketwatch or whatever. If you could salvage more frequently and confidently, and it was stored in a weightless UI somewhere, it wouldn't be as big of a deal to fill your pack with junk while exploring.

Any game that follows the "explore and grab loot, then stash / sell it in town" playbook should pay closer attention to how that loop plays out and focus on quality-of-life tweaks to prevent the tedious stuff that tends to make the game drag so much that players get bored.

I remember Fallout 3's durability degradation being way too fast and putting a time limit on using any unique weapons, but it at least let you consume all of the spare rifles/pistols of the same type.

edit: Building entire settlements out of the salvaged wood and metal from the ridiculous proliferation of automatic weapons in the wasteland seems unintentionally on-brand for Fallout.

General Specific has a new favorite as of 22:59 on May 24, 2019

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Double Punctuation posted:

Fun fact: The UI is made in Flash. Yes, that Flash.

When Nuka-World came out, one of my mods caused me to crash whenever it tried to draw the Transit Center icon on the HUD compass. I narrowed it down, and looking through error logs and forum posts I was like "Wait, why is this mod even interacting with that part of the UI? Why is it messing with an SWF? What level of mickey mouse bullshit is this?"

Turns out it was half Bethesda's fault to begin with, but I still have no idea why the compass would even be affected by a keyring mod.

Like two pages back, but the tower defense radio beacon is Creation Club content, and on release had a bug where using the security camera monitor would time warp you months to years into the future. Paid mods! :retrogames:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

General Specific posted:

I think besides the UI being woefully unsuitable for managing the actual amount of stuff you carry, FO4 has the issue of "sometimes a .1 lb pair of scissors salvages into a 1 lb metal brick, and sometimes a whole 10 lb desk fan breaks down into three screws" as well as the miscellaneous fetch-quests that ask for an intact silver pocketwatch or whatever. If you could salvage more frequently and confidently, and it was stored in a weightless UI somewhere, it wouldn't be as big of a deal to fill your pack with junk while exploring.

Any game that follows the "explore and grab loot, then stash / sell it in town" playbook should pay closer attention to how that loop plays out and focus on quality-of-life tweaks to prevent the tedious stuff that tends to make the game drag so much that players get bored.

I remember Fallout 3's durability degradation being way too fast and putting a time limit on using any unique weapons, but it at least let you consume all of the spare rifles/pistols of the same type.

edit: Building entire settlements out of the salvaged wood and metal from the ridiculous proliferation of automatic weapons in the wasteland seems unintentionally on-brand for Fallout.

Fallout 3 also would let you disassemble a rare weapon to repair a lovely one

Deffo vaporized a super decked out 10mm pistol to repair my lovely beater one for killing 1hp ghouls

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Pillars of Eternity had my personal favorite inventory. Each party member had their own (limited) inventory and quick slots. Then the party had a separate inventory that was totally unlimited. In combat you could only access the items in a characters inventory/slots, the unlimited party inventory was off limits till combat ended.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

zedprime posted:

Between Skyrim's Hearthfire DLC and ESO's extensive housing system it's definitely not a big leap.

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I play eso with my dad because it makes him happy but he won't stop grabbing every potato he sees and filling up his inv and then I have to wait 20 mins while he tries to decide which food item he can survive dropping so he can get the dang quest reward

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Is your dad this dog?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Gokuweed420 posted:

I play eso with my dad because it makes him happy but he won't stop grabbing every potato he sees and filling up his inv and then I have to wait 20 mins while he tries to decide which food item he can survive dropping so he can get the dang quest reward

Did he get his power wrist back?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Hunt: Showdown is getting pretty polished but sometimes...

https://gfycat.com/blaringconfusedeidolonhelvum

Orbital ragdolls are always fun!

T-posing ragdolls are... special.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Do you like complicated glitches designed to break games in seemingly very simple ways? Do you love long videos meticulously explaining the process of performing these exploits? Then I have two bits of good news. One, your brain is broken in the same way as mine. Two, I’ve got a couple of videos you might enjoy.

bad_boot spends 26 minutes and 10 seconds explaining how to get to the Secret Aquarium level in SM64 without pressing the A button

Stryder7x, Chuggaaconroy, Shesez, and Kungfufruitcup divulge the secret to duplicating badges in Paper Mario for 43 minutes and 42 seconds

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Elfface posted:

Is your dad this dog?

I suppose you own any potato you buy but it seems like a weird way of phrasing it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I suppose you own any potato you buy but it seems like a weird way of phrasing it.

Someone hasn't read the Potato End User License Agreement lately

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I grow a potato on my windowsill, they have surprisingly pretty flowers. It's just a thing I do. Does that count as "owning?"

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Cardiovorax posted:

I grow a potato on my windowsill, they have surprisingly pretty flowers. It's just a thing I do. Does that count as "owning?"

monsanto owns the potato, you're only renting the software

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", the potato continues to insist as it slowly grows a pretty flower

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I just played through PM so this is really neat, and well-produced, too. Also, yeah, the length of the video is nothing compared to the stated length of time needed to perform the glitch. I love people but/because they're bonkers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

I just played through PM so this is really neat, and well-produced, too. Also, yeah, the length of the video is nothing compared to the stated length of time needed to perform the glitch. I love people but/because they're bonkers.
The best part is what practical use you can get out of the glitch.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

moist turtleneck posted:

https://i.imgur.com/iVeA31G.gifv
that's weird, I'll just unstuck it

https://i.imgur.com/Wiafaw7.gifv
okay, wtf

https://i.imgur.com/TrvnCBI.gifv
slightly different

https://i.imgur.com/Hc2GKwi.gifv
no clue how the trajectory sent it there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wheeeeeeeeeeee

https://i.imgur.com/m3aMvZM.mp4

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
sorry m8, I don't own potatoes, just noobs :hellyeah:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

It really wants to be in the garden there?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPkhhLC1tf8

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That Colossus in particular can do some.. interesting things.

https://i.imgur.com/Iv6CVpV.mp4

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Stare-Out posted:

That Colossus in particular can do some.. interesting things.

https://i.imgur.com/Iv6CVpV.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVTyPlXotug

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVUH8zlc_KE

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Scarface: Action Figure Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

How long till someone realizes that the glitched T-pose 1000x animation situation in games is way more enjoyable than the standard version and makes a game purpose built to looked buggy?