Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

vyelkin posted:

canada sucks so bad we're one election away from the conservatives rewriting the constitution to ban abortion

we're really not

Reality Winter posted:

The governor general prorogued parliament in 2008 under Harper rather than let the libs/ndp try to form government.
jean did what she was supposed to do, which was "prorogue when the PM asks". jean herself was personally inclined to support the coalition, and really the coalition fell apart because the libs pulled out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Never forget that the Liberals followed that up by supporting minority Conservative budgets because :decorum:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

Its not that bizarre. Its how the Roman Senate worked, and the British house of lords. If anything its the americans that are the odd ones for having term limits and elections.

All senates are terrible by fact of being not elected by the people in general. Individual state senates in the US are slightly better because they're just a second house where each senator represents more people, but it shows how pointless senates are in general.

Unicameral congresses are the wave of a future where government needs to be expected to change course quickly instead of harbouring a bunch of old codgers because they "wield a lot of power".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

that's dumb. i hate when idiots lean on health canada to fix non-problems. we've been in a basically perpetual codeine shortage for years because idiot journalists keep badgering them about the opioid epidemic so HC has to constantly release statements about how they're going to "re-evaluate codeine being sold over the counter"

generally HC is a lot better than the FDA (although banning yohimbine was a stupid move) but sometimes they do dumb poo poo

tbh, i have limited sympathy for someone who gets wrecked on their lunch break and drowns in a creek. it's surely a tragedy, but drat girl.

i spent a lot of time in my teens drinking in the park behind the beer store and i never once managed to drown myself in the creek, prompting a legislative response.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yinlock posted:

by metric canada has the 2nd worst posts, beaten only by finland
judging by how awful finns have been posting about the upcoming NHL draft, this checks out. gently caress Kakko

incontinence 100 posted:

it's almost as if it's a myth that Canadians are nicer, progressive versions of Americans
so you're Minnesota if they were a country

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 14:44 on May 24, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

tbh, i have limited sympathy for someone who gets wrecked on their lunch break and drowns in a creek. it's surely a tragedy, but drat girl.

i spent a lot of time in my teens drinking in the park behind the beer store and i never once managed to drown myself in the creek, prompting a legislative response.

It's entirely possible she didn't know how much she was drinking (500 mL of straight vodka from the three cans alone, not counting the wine, in about 20 minutes), cause you cannot taste the alcohol in those things. She probably went from zero to snot-hangin booger-lickin drunk before she could get safe.

Someone sold a bunch of that poo poo to a kid and she died, not sure why I'm being punished for it but if the effect is that it doesn't happen again, I'm over it.

Shame about those 7% lickin limes tall boys though. Those kicked rear end on a hot summer day.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the article suggests she shoplifted it from a corner store, which certainly puts some perspective on the ontario plan to sell beer, etc. in corner stores

but yes, if you straight crush three king cans back to back to back and mix in some wine, you're gonna get wriggedy wrecked. i'm not too fussed about the limits, because, hell, i'm not drinking those anyways. i'd just like to believe that teens today know how to drink in public without dying in a tributary

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

fart

flakeloaf has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Jun 2, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

vyelkin posted:

the longer i spend in america the less i want to return to canada

at least in america people are trying to make it better

:lol:

vyelkin posted:

canada sucks so bad we're one election away from the conservatives rewriting the constitution to ban abortion and make opposing oil development punishable by summary execution

That's better than being zero elections away from banning abortion like a good third of the US how, exactly?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

we may have a better and more competent left movement south of the border, but we also have states that have blatantly unconstitutional laws passed in the past few years and a supreme court that regularly disregards established precedent going back decades to uphold reactionary horseshit with outlandish interpretations of frivolous laws and cases, so it won't amount to anything. anything that smells of leftism will be immediately struck down by a court far more activist than the strawman liberal judges that contards have railed against for decades. they're kneejerk fascists like every elected GOP hack here

it goes back to your conversation about the Canadian Senate: there's no good justification for lifetime appointments

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 15:25 on May 24, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

vyelkin posted:

the longer i spend in america the less i want to return to canada

at least in america people are trying to make it better

canada sucks so bad we're one election away from the conservatives rewriting the constitution to ban abortion and make opposing oil development punishable by summary execution

Going to seriouspost in C-SPAM for a moment

I'm equal parts horrified and interested to see how far social conservatives could bend the bigger party to it's will if the Conservatives attain a Constitutional majority in Canada. For anyone following at home the amending formula requires 7 out of 10 provinces representing 50% of the population of Canada and control of both the House of Commons and the Senate. Abortion bans are deeply unpopular in the States despite how loud people scream. Only 30% of people in the USA support complete bans and it's less than 20% in Canada.

Going through the Supreme Court was probably the first effort by Harper that failed. Canadian judges for all the flak they get do not really have partisan leans and the vast majority tend to be fair and balanced in their rulings. When it comes to the SCOC they mostly rule in favour of human and individual rights and for a lack of a better expression choose the most liberal interpretations of the law when writing rulings. Having the basic requirement of a judge having served in a superior court as well as at least 10 years on the bar weeds out a bunch of bad candidates as well. The mandatory retirement age of 75 furthers the ability to stack the court with "your people".

Section 7 of the one that was used in the original ruling overturning abortion bans in the case Morgentaler v. Her Majesty the Queen in 1988 which completely overturned the criminal law that prevented abortions. As of right now there is no restrictions in place on abortion in Canada as the government could not come to any consensus on a new law. Section 7 of the Charter is below.

quote:

7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

The Notwithstanding Clause could technically circumvent section 7 and be used to re-criminalize abortion but there's a good chance it would never make it past HoC readings and if it did there's no guarantee that it still wouldn't guarantee it wouldn't be infinitely held up by courts. Provinces cannot do anything individually as abortion is set out as a healthcare right by the Federal government and as well the Provinces have no rights to define their own criminal laws. Section 7 of the Charter could be rewritten but would most likely have to be repealed entirely.

The most likely thing that Conservatives would try and pull is re-writing the role of Federal government and passing more powers down to individual provinces and allowing them to all fight individual court battles on old laws. This would fulfill the wet dreams of Stephen Harper.

What has been happening though with or without Social Conservatives in power is individual provinces purposefully being bad at providing access to abortions and not making people jump through a thousand hoops to get one. That's the fight activists should be fighting here in Canada.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

1. good post

2. the "abortion is just one election away from being banned" meme comes from this tweet, which is dumb
https://twitter.com/joeboughner/status/1129193544155951105

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
i should also point out that the canadian anti-abortion movement doesnt have the same dedicated think-tank and money aspect behind it as the american movement. the hertitage foundation literally draw redistricting maps and write laws for politicians who do nothing more than just vote for what their financial master tell them too BUT elections canada has been really really bad at cracking down on pseudo-canadian PACs like Ontario Proud and other poo poo on social media that are masquerading as "grassroots" movements which are really just former rebel and conservative staffers that get lots of money to just bash opponents of the conservative party.

In general I feel like faith goldys campaign was an exercise in how much she could get away with fundraising and spending wise before someone stopped her and she got away with a fuckton and is laying the groundwork for more money to pour into influencing canadian politics

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Democrat_Union

:tinfoil:

also, lol

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
America actually needs a high birth rate to sustain its military and economy. I realize this will sound weird to a lot of people but people in positions of power do care about birth rates and monitor them closely. Many countries both now and in the past base a lot of their abortion, contraceptive and sex ed policies based on whether they perceive the birth rate to be too high or too low. Many Republican politicians have actually explicitly raised this concern and it provides a much stronger material explanation for the enduring GOP alliance of pro-life Christians and the country club set. If this analysis piques your curiosity, this book is worth checking out.

In Canada - with the significant exception of Quebec - there is a near total elite consensus that we don't need a replacement birth rate and that it's actually way too expensive to provide education and healthcare to Canadian born children, so there's a very strong preference for immigration. In Canada the interests of capital are better served by bringing in people born elsewhere whereas for various reasons the US political economy and empire still requires a large native born population.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

cursed photo

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Helsing posted:

America actually needs a high birth rate to sustain its military and economy. I realize this will sound weird to a lot of people but people in positions of power do care about birth rates and monitor them closely. Many countries both now and in the past base a lot of their abortion, contraceptive and sex ed policies based on whether they perceive the birth rate to be too high or too low. Many Republican politicians have actually explicitly raised this concern and it provides a much stronger material explanation for the enduring GOP alliance of pro-life Christians and the country club set. If this analysis piques your curiosity, this book is worth checking out.

In Canada - with the significant exception of Quebec - there is a near total elite consensus that we don't need a replacement birth rate and that it's actually way too expensive to provide education and healthcare to Canadian born children, so there's a very strong preference for immigration. In Canada the interests of capital are better served by bringing in people born elsewhere whereas for various reasons the US political economy and empire still requires a large native born population.

Caliban and the Witch is a great book that gives some historical context to enforced reproduction

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Helsing posted:

On this point, Canada's Express Entry program is impressive. Basically, if --
  • you're under 40
  • with a clean background
  • and you're in an in-demand field
-- then you can apply for Permanent Residence outright. There's a points system with only a little paperwork and just a few steps.

I've been skimming immigration programs recently and that one's practically kidnapping in comparison.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I work with someone who got her masters in the US, owns a house there with her husband, and has had a good professional job there for half a decade. She was on a work visa the whole time and they were saying it would still be years until she got a PR.

it took her only a couple months to get a Canadian PR.

I think it’s really cool, and I’m glad our country encourages people like her to move here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It would also be really rad if we built enough housing for all the people being born and moving here.

second largest country in the world, every inch spoken for by rent seekers

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
immigration should be done strickly on a humanitarian basis. if you got a master and a bunch of money you dont need to be taking somebody elses spot. like youre already doing great in life just stay where youre at. and on top of that encouraging brain drain is immoral as gently caress

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

i should also point out that the canadian anti-abortion movement doesnt have the same dedicated think-tank and money aspect behind it as the american movement.

This is not entirely true, they are putting money into Canada's anti abortion movements now.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Yinlock posted:

by metric canada has the 2nd worst posts, beaten only by finland

You forgot Poland Delaware!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

immigration should be done strickly on a humanitarian basis. if you got a master and a bunch of money you dont need to be taking somebody elses spot. like youre already doing great in life just stay where youre at. and on top of that encouraging brain drain is immoral as gently caress

Alternatively you are bringing someone in who is going to be capable of supporting themself and probably working in a taxed job so they will support other canadians so they shouldn't be taking anyone's spot. The quotas for skill based and refugee immigration are totally different and the amount of humanitarian immigration we do should have no bearing on the amount of skill based we do. Let's just shoot the investor class visa into the sun.

sick zip everywhere
Jul 21, 2010

mashed_penguin posted:

Alternatively you are bringing someone in who is going to be capable of supporting themself and probably working in a taxed job so they will support other canadians so they shouldn't be taking anyone's spot

I think the reasoning is that this is so much cheaper than having to maintain schools and spend 18+ years raising skilled workers domestically that it has removed a political incentive for capital to make those other spots attainable for people born here. It prices people out of ever having families in areas where the economy is tied up in skilled labour.

Personally I'm agnostic about whether it's good or bad that Canada is functioning as a global population sink, but we could probably spin this on an environmentalist angle to save face for being a reckless resource extraction tire fire.

As far as the social impact, I thought this was compelling: https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/republicans/2019/4/losing-our-minds-brain-drain-across-the-united-states

It's an exploration of the effect of not only income inequality but what happens when those with more wealth didn't grow up in the same community as you.

The depressing part is that this type of talk can be so easily weaponized into racist poo poo because we do not learn about social sciences here nor does Canada have a media ecosystem that enabled us to have discussions between identities.

In conclusion this country has like 20 years left tops

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Powershift posted:

It would also be really rad if we built enough housing for all the people being born and moving here.

second largest country in the world, every inch spoken for by rent seekers

There is more than adequate housing being built. The problem is what is being built, and who can afford it.

And AirBnB.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
What's the Tim Hortons protocol for drive thru refill mug lids, on or off? They keep cross threading me and I can't tell if they're telling me they don't want to touch the lid or that I should stay away in general.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

What's the Tim Hortons protocol for drive thru refill mug lids, on or off? They keep cross threading me and I can't tell if they're telling me they don't want to touch the lid or that I should stay away in general.

They're high-schoolers making minimum wage and they don't give a poo poo about your mug.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Get a threadless mug bing bong so simple

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I have never worked at a Tim Hortons in my life, but I can guarantee that the workers hate dealing with your dumb coffee mug.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
top off, nobody wants to touch things that've been in your mouth

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
just get a cup and fill your dumb poo poo later

honestly i cant believe they still do roll up the rim the way it is. people just rip that poo poo out with their teeth, hold it in their hand, then give it to the till person who just contaminated their gloves . the entire system is really gross and it blows my mind its not some QR code RNG thing by now

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bring back old gbs posted:

just get a cup and fill your dumb poo poo later

honestly i cant believe they still do roll up the rim the way it is. people just rip that poo poo out with their teeth, hold it in their hand, then give it to the till person who just contaminated their gloves . the entire system is really gross and it blows my mind its not some QR code RNG thing by now

print a QR code on the bottom of the cup and watch idiots dump coffee in their lap!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Just read an article that in B.C there's a mandate to use roundup on forests to make sure aspens don't make up more than 30% of forests because they're not as profitable for logging as evergreens. Turns out aspen trees are natural firestops though!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

McGavin posted:

They're high-schoolers making minimum wage and they don't give a poo poo about your mug.

I'd look more carefully at who's working at tims. A lot of these jobs are filled with older people. The whole "its a bunch of kids" narrative really was built to make people not feel sympathy for workers that want better conditions and pay. The whole idea of the service industry being temporary work for people is part of why its so bad.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Just read an article that in B.C there's a mandate to use roundup on forests to make sure aspens don't make up more than 30% of forests because they're not as profitable for logging as evergreens. Turns out aspen trees are natural firestops though!

That is mindbogglingly stupid on several fronts. Enjoy your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer next forest fire, citizens.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Hey, the irvings and NB gov't spray round-up all over the province and it's just fine.. oh wait.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Entorwellian posted:

That is mindbogglingly stupid on several fronts. Enjoy your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer next forest fire, citizens.

The best part is imagining the feedback loop. Forest fires destroy ever increasing tracts of forest, remaining forests are sprayed to ensure higher profitability, eventually aspens will be pushed out entirely and everything West of the rockies will be a charred hellscape.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

I'd look more carefully at who's working at tims. A lot of these jobs are filled with older people. The whole "its a bunch of kids" narrative really was built to make people not feel sympathy for workers that want better conditions and pay. The whole idea of the service industry being temporary work for people is part of why its so bad.

Okay, sorry. They're a bunch of temporary foreign workers making minimum wage. They don't give a poo poo about your mug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Virtual Russian posted:

Hey, the irvings and NB gov't

bit redundant