Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was Castle of Cagilostro the only time Miyazaki/Ghibli was involved in something that was already an established property (in this case Lupin III) as opposed to an original film of their own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Larryb posted:

Was Castle of Cagilostro the only time Miyazaki/Ghibli was involved in something that was already an established property (in this case Lupin III) as opposed to an original film of their own?

Tales from Earthsea = Ursula K LeGuin novels
Arrietty = The Borrowers by Mary Norton
My Neighbours the Yamadas = some newspaper comic strip I think
Howls Moving Castle = Diana Wynne Jones novel

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know at least Howl's Moving Castle is a novel. So was Tales of Earthsea, and Grave of the Fireflies was a short story

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh never knew that, he’s done more licensed works than I thought then.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Castle in the Sky, Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Pom Poko, Ponyo, and Spirited Away are the "original" movies. Porco Rosso and Nausicaa are based on Miyazaki's own manga, and you could count Wind Rises as being based on a true story. Everything else has some manga or novel it's coming from.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Wind Rises is weird because it combines a true story with a book called The Wind Has Risen.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Miyazaki also tried getting permission from Astrid Lindgren to do a Pippi Longstocking adaptation in the 70's. She declined, unfortunately.

More here

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Winklebottom posted:

Miyazaki also tried getting permission from Astrid Lindgren to do a Pippi Longstocking adaptation in the 70's. She declined, unfortunately.

It's worth noting that while this did not go through, Miyazaki did work on a Heidi, Girl of the Alps cartoon, along with Isao Takahata, another Ghibli co-founder. Takahata also worked an Anne of Green Gables cartoon.

The Anne of Green Gables cartoon in particular is available on youtube entirely. It has a very similar artistic sense to the Ghibli films, although it is clearly that sense on a budget. This scene of Anne riding through a grove of flowering apple trees is a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUE6lu5350Y&t=1112s

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Darth TNT posted:

It could use some more effects yes. But we're not comparing complete scenes here.

Thing that bothers me though is that they have Will Smith. A rapper with attitude, energy and swagger when he wants to and he brings none of that here. It's a massive shame because he was easily a case of genius casting for the genie.

A lot of good actors who can sing don't necessarily turn out to be good in musicals. It's harder than it looks. You have to act the song, not just sing it. And being film rather than stage makes it even harder.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't know if this is the right place to vent about this, but the 2019 end-credits version of "A Whole New World" pales in comparison to the original. Please get off my lawn.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sir Lemming posted:

A lot of good actors who can sing don't necessarily turn out to be good in musicals. It's harder than it looks. You have to act the song, not just sing it. And being film rather than stage makes it even harder.

Honestly even his speaking delivery seems restrained - it feels a bit like Will Smith is being overdirected.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Will Smith in a musical, so that could be it but just not have him sing and "update" the song to add more rap. :shrug: Play to the actors strengths. In addition I agree with Robindaybird

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly even his speaking delivery seems restrained - it feels a bit like Will Smith is being overdirected.

Yes. He feels like he's going through a script during the musical number.
Doesn't have to be Will Smiths fault though. Looking at the comparison one of the other it might be that the script got bogged down in the "Solo: A Starwars movie" problem where they felt like they absolutely "needed" to add every rhyme and gag in the original despite being constrained by human actors which makes for a very tight script.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

Looking through it all, almost none of their movies are original films given that Kiki's Delivery Service was also a book. Maybe Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies?

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to vent about this, but the 2019 end-credits version of "A Whole New World" pales in comparison to the original. Please get off my lawn.

To the original song or the original end-credits version? I genuinely love that end-credits song.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

stratofarius posted:

To the original song or the original end-credits version? I genuinely love that end-credits song.

Both. The new one just feels too slow, much like the new "Friend Like Me".

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

hiddenriverninja posted:

Both. The new one just feels too slow, much like the new "Friend Like Me".

drat, Will Smith's take on that song is the ONE thing I was looking forward to.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

doomrider7 posted:

Looking through it all, almost none of their movies are original films given that Kiki's Delivery Service was also a book. Maybe Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies?

Half of movies are based on books nobody's ever heard of though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Grave of the Fireflies is based on a Japanese auto-biographical short story. IIRC, the reason it became a double feature with My Neighbour Totoro in the first place is that producers were initially reluctant to finance Miyazaki's film, fearing it might turn out to be a flop, whereas Grave was considered a relatively safe investment due to the popular source material.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cromartie High School is still the best anime.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://youtu.be/oAb3ho7fSsE

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've checked the numbers, the math adds up.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

Grave of the Fireflies is based on a Japanese auto-biographical short story. IIRC, the reason it became a double feature with My Neighbour Totoro in the first place is that producers were initially reluctant to finance Miyazaki's film, fearing it might turn out to be a flop, whereas Grave was considered a relatively safe investment due to the popular source material.

Wasn't it also to sort of soothe people's mood with Totoro after dealing with the depression hour that is Fireflies?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
So it seems the trailer for Abominable has dropped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrgVtuDRBjM&t=4s It looks... fine; very colorful.

But I watched it without sound first and was briefly so happy at a movie with the prospect of no white people in it. And then I turned on the sound and wasn't really happy anymore. :sigh: Just leave the white people out of non-white stories, not even as a sop, if you please.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Can I just reiterate how utterly loving fantastic the modern Mickey Mouse shorts are? They're hilarious and genuinely sweet at times and just so much fun

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Can I just reiterate how utterly loving fantastic the modern Mickey Mouse shorts are? They're hilarious and genuinely sweet at times and just so much fun

They also seem to be largely unsupervised regarding “branding”. Mickey isn’t always a good person, and I will never stop applauding them giving Goofy a redesign so offputting it’s taken until just recently for Disney to even include it on any merchandising.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

resurgam40 posted:

So it seems the trailer for Abominable has dropped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrgVtuDRBjM&t=4s It looks... fine; very colorful.

But I watched it without sound first and was briefly so happy at a movie with the prospect of no white people in it. And then I turned on the sound and wasn't really happy anymore. :sigh: Just leave the white people out of non-white stories, not even as a sop, if you please.

I wish this movie looked... interesting. Or exciting. It looks as standard as you can get, though maybe that's just the trailer doing a bad job of showing the good stuff.

Visually I love it, but man was that a boring trailer. Also I hate the song and I don't like that it's apparently the song they are using for the violin stuff instead of making their own song.

edit: Also to be fiar to your last point I think the only white people in the movie according to the trailer are the villains :v:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 24, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sonic the Hedgehog has been pushed back to Feb 14th, 2020.

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1131937685700980736

Valentine’s Day. Bummer.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog has been pushed back to Feb 14th, 2020.

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1131937685700980736

Valentine’s Day. Bummer.

Gotta go fast?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm shocked they are delaying it but I'm happy they are. I know it's not a TON of extra months to work on stuff, but it's still better than what everyone thought was that now the animators would have to work double extra triple overtime to still meet the November deadline. Also someone posted this in the Sonic thread:

quote:

Sega at the very least had an all hands meeting right after the movie trailer. Aaron Webber (social media guy) had to arrange for someone else to do the Sonic live stream that day because he was in the meeting (needing to promote TSR so close to launch.) Later in the evening was when they announced they would change Sonic.

Which maybe Sega took notice of all the negativity and was like "you need to fix this now"

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Which maybe Sega took notice of all the negativity and was like "you need to fix this now"

I don't think Sega was the deciding factor - apparently they'd been begging Paramount to fix it for ages and were being ignored.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

nerdman42 posted:

Wasn't it also to sort of soothe people's mood with Totoro after dealing with the depression hour that is Fireflies?

The order wasn't fixed, some theatres played Totoro first, others started with Firefly. Here's what Takahata himself said about it:

quote:

The film was very well received from the start because of its themes, of course. People thought it was a very meaningful work. It was a little awkward in a way, because it was double-featured with My Neighbor Totoro. The response was different depending on which film was shown first. My Neighbor Totoro would make them happy, then this Grave of the Fireflies... Those who saw Totoro first didn't want to see Fireflies to the end. Those who saw Fireflies first didn't have that problem, and stayed to the end. The double featuring was a problem, I'd say.

(Source)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

dirksteadfast posted:

They also seem to be largely unsupervised regarding “branding”. Mickey isn’t always a good person, and I will never stop applauding them giving Goofy a redesign so offputting it’s taken until just recently for Disney to even include it on any merchandising.

It's just so energetic. Like the characters never stop moving and morphing and skipping to the beat of the wonderful soundtrack. It's hard to believe that it was made in flash, since flash cartoons tend to be lovely badly posed and tweened models

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Q3i5w6-Ug

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

21 Muns posted:

I don't think Sega was the deciding factor - apparently they'd been begging Paramount to fix it for ages and were being ignored.

Sega really doesn't know how to handle licensing at all.

Calaveron posted:

It's just so energetic. Like the characters never stop moving and morphing and skipping to the beat of the wonderful soundtrack. It's hard to believe that it was made in flash, since flash cartoons tend to be lovely badly posed and tweened models

Cheap Flash cartoons are. It's a tool like any other.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sega really doesn't know how to handle licensing at all.

Cheap Flash cartoons are. It's a tool like any other.

I have no idea what tool Tigtone was made in, only that it's loving gorgeous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-J3nJerAyQ

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

Actually, no, Flash makes that kind of thing way easier if you use the tweening tools properly. Particularly, you'd want to do the art as vectors within Flash, and shape tween them with the keyframes matched as closely as possible to the beat. :eng101:

(Tigtone was probably done in either Flash or Toon Boom.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

I like the lion fella :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I normally hate film reviews but I like this sentence wrt Aladdin from the nyt:

quote:

None of these have surpassed the original, but that might be too much to ask. I can’t think of one — not “The Jungle Book”; not “Mary Poppins Returns”; not the recent, somber “Dumbo”; certainly not this “Aladdin” — that seems able to stand alone in the popular imagination. They are weird and grotesque hybrids, belonging to no particular era, style or creative sensibility, like dishes at a chain restaurant that fuse disparate food trends to produce flavors alien to every known earthly cuisine.

“Aladdin” is not a cartoon, but it takes place in cartoonlike spaces that trade the grace and flow of animation for the cold literalism of computer-generated imagery. The animal sidekicks — a mischievous monkey, a loyal tiger and a malignant parrot — are neither cute nor especially realistic. The human beings occupying the frame alongside them look, with the partial exception of the genie, like people dressed up as Disney characters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

No one even remembers the live action 101 Dalmations. It got a sequel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

God, every shot in this looks AMAZING, I can't believe how well they nailed the 80s anime style

also this was a pretty neat little reference