Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Thinking about it, this does have interesting implications for warrior main tanking. If they keep the current split of stance = inner beast and no stance = fel cleave then it might end up being annoying to be a war who ends up main tanking, depending on how necessary the enmity stance ends up being to maintaining threat. Which might be a lot to be honest, I already have to bust rear end with diversion on cd and usually at least some degree of merciful eyes use to not pull threat and I can't imagine things getting easier with two midares.

I'll bet that they'll just make Inner Beast and Fell Cleave have the same potency. Or they could split the abilities and have each one always available no matter what. In any case they said its their goal for there to be no reason to not use enmity stance while main tanking, so it wouldn't make sense to force you to use a lower potency ability with it on.

If there's one thing to be sad about, it's that warriors won't be able to have ludicrously high HP numbers in Defiance anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ChaseSP posted:

Warrior is being big and tearing enemies asunder with your giant axe. Sadly defiant won't make you a beefcake anymore.

Defiance not making you a beefcake is probably a balancing issue around healers, not warrior. If you're fishing for critlos in savage you're doing it on the warrior tank specifically because of defiance. It won't make much of a difference in the feel of the class to the warrior.

Also SAM looks cool but the nin part looked like ten chi jin got smoothed out, possibly, and if they make mudras better I will go back to the OG weeb class in a heartbeat. It would make sense for mudras to be better, given how smooth the steps were when they were showing off dancer meaning they probably made a system just for that that would port over to mudras easily.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what kind of loving coward plays a job with backflips then doesn't use em

show yourselves so i can backflip you into a locker

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Flash is gone! That’s...good, I guess. Not really a need for it if every AoE earns enmity. But it’ll take a while to get used to not having it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Gonna own all the nerds by back flipping myself off the arena

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also SAM looks cool but the nin part looked like ten chi jin got smoothed out, possibly, and if they make mudras better I will go back to the OG weeb class in a heartbeat. It would make sense for mudras to be better, given how smooth the steps were when they were showing off dancer meaning they probably made a system just for that that would port over to mudras easily.

I imagine they did some more under-the-hood stuff for latency-sensitive actions due to DNC getting a mudra-esque system and interrupts becoming more important. Interrupts have always been kinda clunky unless the interruptible action's cast time was excessive, so it seems like something you'd want to give more clientside leeway to.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

DrakePegasus posted:

Flash is gone! That’s...good, I guess. Not really a need for it if every AoE earns enmity. But it’ll take a while to get used to not having it.

Wait, is there a confirmation of this somewhere?

Also I'm excited to be a good lion boy. I'm still gonna keep tweaking around probably (like maybe going for a paler red to look a bit more natural) but I'm liking what I've managed. The options are real limited but at least they all look good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Wait, is there a confirmation of this somewhere

Someone dug around in the spell ID tables included in the benchmark and compiled a list of the differences between the live tables and the benchmark tables. It matches up with most of what we know already from leaks, so it's fairly believable. Keeping Flash would also be super weird when they've gone on record stating that they want to make AoE options accessible for every job. Forcing PLD to keep using Flash while literally everyone else is cartwheeling around doing 200 Potency would be goofy as hell.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Flash is the penalty for being the one cowardly tank to use a shield.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Paladins should have to use their sword as a defensive tool and only attack with their shield.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

gunbreaker gets dark arts AND ammo mechanics :supaburn:

this tank... it was made for me........

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Incredible lore failure that the gunblades so far all have revolvers but the gauge only goes up to 2.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I've almost finished leveling DRK (68) and I'm enjoying it more than both other tanks, which I've had at 70 for a long time. But part of that is that I really enjoy Dark Arts. I am sad it's going away.

On the other hand, summoning Fray is amazing.

On the other other hand, PLD getting Tactics sword abilities *and* a gap closer...

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Failboattootoot posted:

Incredible lore failure that the gunblades so far all have revolvers but the gauge only goes up to 2.

You could make a revolver with two shots. You shouldn't, but you could.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

gunbreaker gets dark arts AND ammo mechanics :supaburn:

this tank... it was made for me........

If gunblade becomes the high APM tank then I will be forced to level one

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Thats how it looks if the bit Yoshi shoed off is worth going by. It has a damage combo thats on a cooldown that costs 1 cartridge to start, and every GCD in that combo procs an oGCD for you to use. It turns Continuation into different oGCDs depending based on the damage combo, and you need to hit it after every GCD in that combo.

E: Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cwyCNpPzr4

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 24, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
willing to bet money that Continuation's Japanese name is Renzokuken

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Blockhouse posted:

willing to bet money that Continuation's Japanese name is Renzokuken

Had to look up the translation but I bet you're right!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xerophyte posted:

I need to figure out what potato hairstyle and color best expresses the dark darkness of my dark soul in this new expansion but this is the frontrunner. I've had a big orange samurai ponytail all Stormblood. Also, the score is kind of a lie since the ultrawide benchmarks run pillarboxed.

Also, also, those of you with 40-60 seconds loading time should really consider getting a cheapo SSD instead of whatever the hell tape drive you're using. That's a lot of your life wasted looking at progress bars...

Okay, I know you told me you work with Path Renderers, but I still gotta ask - what the hell is your rig?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

19,697 is the score of a computer running the loving Matrix compared to mine.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know at least half a dozen people across assorted discords who wanted to ask that but are too shy so I'll take one for the thread since I have no qualms with being a poor motherfucker, I want to know what sort of madness is getting a 19697 score on 3440x1440.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Potentially unpopular opinion time:

I would be 100% okay with the devs reducing each class to 12 buttons max. Reduce the complexity of rotations and the amount of buttons used in general so that each rotation is 4-5 buttons max with 4-5 buffs/big cool down abilities. You should be able to fit ALL of your class's abilities on ONE hotbar.

IMHO reason that a large percentage of pubbies are bad is because a decent percentage of players don't want to gave to go out and do external research on how to play their class.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

just dont go as far as wow, holy god classes are so loving boring in wow. like rdm has twice as many buttons as some (all?) wow classes.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Wait, wait.

Are they actually removing the existing job quests and replacing them all with role stuff? Or is it gonna be just a 70+ thing?

Because yeah sure some of those were dull, but the good ones were really, really good and added immensely to the world and flavor.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I would be 100% okay with the devs reducing each class to 12 buttons max. Reduce the complexity of rotations and the amount of buttons used in general so that each rotation is 4-5 buttons max with 4-5 buffs/big cool down abilities. You should be able to fit ALL of your class's abilities on ONE hotbar.

IMHO reason that a large percentage of pubbies are bad is because a decent percentage of players don't want to gave to go out and do external research on how to play their class.

Pretty sure the bad pubbies that get talked about in here are bad because they press three buttons over the course of a whole dungeon and also lose a lot of up time by being slower than the gcd.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Mazed posted:

Wait, wait.

Are they actually removing the existing job quests and replacing them all with role stuff? Or is it gonna be just a 70+ thing?

Because yeah sure some of those were dull, but the good ones were really, really good and added immensely to the world and flavor.

70+

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mazed posted:

Wait, wait.

Just a 70+ thing, even GNB and DNC will have 60-70 job quests, its just when you're in Shadowbringers content you play the warriors of darkness role quests instead.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Well, that's relieving.

Guess they're smart enough to know those are drat near the only reason to have an alt.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

You don't need to do any external research to play at a decent level. Just takes a minute or two reading each ability as you get it and seeing where it interacts with the rest. You also have to give a poo poo.

I parse blues and purples (not a high parse, but better than poo poo) on Ex/Savages, and this thread is the only out of game source of info I pay attention to outside of encounter guides. I just read what poo poo does and keep the gcds rolling.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 24, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You know, I hope they take away Foe's Requiem or give it a duration and a cooldown or something to make it more consistent.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Vermain posted:

All that they're effectively doing is making each tank behave like DRK, where your DPS stance is you playing without the tank stance on. For Warrior, you'll have access to Fell Cleave and Decimate when you don't have Defiance on, and access to Inner Beast and Steel Cyclone when you have Defiance on.

If you watch the job actions trailer again, the Warrior uses Inner Beast, then turns on his tank stance, and then does a whole bunch of Fell Cleave stuff.

I'm pretty sure both are available as meter-eaters now, regardless of any stance shenanigans. Which makes Inner Beast potentially useful as a defensive cooldown, as opposed to how it's been completely useless due to being locked away behind Defiance.

Mordiceius posted:

I think the bigger problem is just people not always pressing their buttons. You see people letting precious seconds of wasted time trickle away between GCDs, which really adds up over time. You can get like 4.5k DPS on BLM never touching your fire spells, and people regularly do less. That's not a matter of "I don't know what to press", that's a matter of "I'm not pressing things."

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 24, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kwyndig posted:

You know, I hope they take away Foe's Requiem or give it a duration and a cooldown or something to make it more consistent.

There's a spreadsheet floating around of datamined ability info from the benchmark, and Foe's Req was notably absent. The devs also talked about reducing the amount of group synergy and stuff that something like Foe's would apply to, so there's a decent chance it's gone.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Foe's requiem is a pretty annoying button, and I won't mind its removal. But I really like stuff like palisade and nature's minne, so I hope those kinds of super abilities get to stay. I'm pretty hopeful given what they've done with troubadour.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Did we watch the same Live Letter? I'm pretty sure you're still getting job quests at level 80. They didn't say anything about length either. Wouldn't be an expansion without people wildly extrapolating from a single vague statement though. Remember how healer DPS was loving dead in 3.3?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you get one job quest at 80. previously, you would get a bunch. that's what people are complaining about.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They also said the level 80 job quest will be post-MSQ so it's likely not tied into getting your final ability either

I imagine it'll be a lot of you going back to the Source and showing your old buddies "Hey look at what I figured out how to do!" and then you get roped into helping them solve a problem.

Honestly we've hit a point where there's not a lot of upward mobility left in most of the job quests, especially in cases like Dragoon where you are already the best Dragoon every by the end of Heavensward or Stormblood Black Mage having learned directly from the creator of black magic herself.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rainuwastaken posted:

I think the bigger problem is just people not always pressing their buttons. You see people letting precious seconds of wasted time trickle away between GCDs, which really adds up over time. You can get like 4.5k DPS on BLM never touching your fire spells, and people regularly do less. That's not a matter of "I don't know what to press", that's a matter of "I'm not pressing things."

Yeah I regularly see at least 2-3 people in my alliances, usually healers, who will just be running around seemingly randomly when there aren't mechanics happening and just throwing out spells whenever they feel like I guess. Almost no one cares if you're being suboptimal, but just not actually playing your character is a lot rougher

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Did we watch the same Live Letter? I'm pretty sure you're still getting job quests at level 80. They didn't say anything about length either. Wouldn't be an expansion without people wildly extrapolating from a single vague statement though. Remember how healer DPS was loving dead in 3.3?

Basically for 70-80, each role will get a quest, and then each job will get a quest at 80.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

They also said the level 80 job quest will be post-MSQ so it's likely not tied into getting your final ability either

I imagine it'll be a lot of you going back to the Source and showing your old buddies "Hey look at what I figured out how to do!" and then you get roped into helping them solve a problem.

Honestly we've hit a point where there's not a lot of upward mobility left in most of the job quests, especially in cases like Dragoon where you are already the best Dragoon every by the end of Heavensward or Stormblood Black Mage having learned directly from the creator of black magic herself.
Yeah, and it makes sense for this expansion also cause none of your job quest friends are going to be in the first anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mordiceius posted:

I suspect the reception to devs going "we noticeably simplified all the jobs because people are bad" even using a prettier choice of words would cause a shitstorm the game would never recover from. Like 99% of the time people exaggerate when they go "x would kill the game", but that particular plan would likely end FFXIV.

Besides, and while this isn't necessarily a completely valid comparison since they're not MMOs, people are really bad at pressing the right buttons even in games with only 3-4 abilities. I doubt it'd make as big of a difference as you imagine.