Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Rolo posted:

Contact Chat:

Brand and comfort are very subjective based on how sensitive your eyes are, but I’ve been wearing contacts daily for over 20 years (Jesus) and I’ve tried every brand I can get my hands on. My sister is in the business and has literally given me handfuls of samples in my script. Try to score some samples from your doctor, they’re usually cool with giving a bunch out. I spent about ten years with comfortable but mildly red eyes because I’m just that sensitive. Everyone in my school years thought I was high if it was after like 5pm.

Long story short and lots of research later, Bausch+Lomb Ultras. Best contact I’ve ever worn by a wide margin and they last a month without needing to be changed which is good for the wallet. My eyes not only lost their redness, these NEVER get dry on me, even after an entire day of wearing them and being active outside. Doesn’t matter. Same at 10pm as 8am. I seriously haven’t bought a single bottle of moisture drops in roughly 6 years. This may or may not be the brand for you, but shop around, there’s some seriously good poo poo out there in 2019, don’t just settle for discomfort like I did with Acuvue’s for too long.

Yea. The Bausch+Lomb Ultras are a great lens. But...

As for "Leavymywife", you do have a prescription right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is there a trick for doing roasts in the slow cooker and not having them come out dry as hell? Should we be using fattier cuts or something like that?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Put onions on the bottom of the roast?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What cut are you using? Do you leave the lid on? Add any liquid to the pot?

I generally get something with thick ribbons of fat and collagen and have never had an issue with dryness. I add about a half cup to a cup of liquid, usually in the form marinade/sauce and cook on low for about 8 hours with the lid on and the meat comes out tender and moist. I've found 8 hours is around the sweet spot for whatever the low setting is on my Hamilton Beach crock pot, anything past 10 hours is too long.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'll have to check the specific recipe my wife has been using. Seems to be more an issue with beef than it is with pork, but I know there is a fair amount of liquid in the cooker since she uses it to make a sad kind of jous which is pretty much mandatory for consumption of the dry as hell beef.

I know she used to pre-sear the roast, but neither of us felt like that made any difference to the finished product as far as the thing drying out. Now she skips that step to save a few minutes prepping in the morning.

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 18:31 on May 23, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are you using a cut of beef like this:

https://www.instacart.com/costco/products/32665-kirkland-signature-usda-choice-beef-chuck-pot-roast-boneless-per-lb

It needs a lot of fat and connective tissue for slow cooking. Anything lean without those thick white stripes going through it will end up dry. The shank is also excellent for this.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
No I'm pretty sure it's usually some kind of loin roast. So, pretty lean obviously. But I think that's what the recipe called for and that's what we've stuck with. Will try something with more fat and report back. Looking back, this seems like a pretty silly problem to have had to ask about.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

No I'm pretty sure it's usually some kind of loin roast. So, pretty lean obviously. But I think that's what the recipe called for and that's what we've stuck with. Will try something with more fat and report back. Looking back, this seems like a pretty silly problem to have had to ask about.

Another possibility is you are cooking it too long. If adding more fat/liquids does not help try cutting back on the cooking time.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Inspector 34 posted:

I know she used to pre-sear the roast, but neither of us felt like that made any difference to the finished product as far as the thing drying out. Now she skips that step to save a few minutes prepping in the morning.

You can go a lifetime without learning this because it gets repeated so often, even by celebrity chefs. But, searing does nothing to keep moisture in the meat. It does, however, add flavor and color, so it's still a very necessary step.

What dries meat out is a function of too high a temperature and/or too long of a cook time.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Also a loin roast absolutely will get too dry if you’re doing it in a slow cooker. Try the recipe with chuck roast instead. Or brisket.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Chuck roast ought to be cheaper anyway, which is also nice. I'll give that a try.

It's absolutely getting overcooked as well though so I'll try and get the cooker started a little later in the day. This is a Tuesday meal for us, which means she's home around 6 and I'm not home until around 11:30pm so it's been sitting around on the warm setting for almost all day by the time I get to it.

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 22:42 on May 23, 2019

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Inzombiac posted:

And rice maker and and and...

(I am the cult leader for Instant Pots. I could get rid of all other appliances and still be able to cook nearly everything.)

Instant pot to cook slow things fast and sous vide to cook fast things slow. Everything I need in life.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The nice thing is chuck roast is really, really hard to overcook. 4-5 hours in the crock pot is about right, and I've had chuck roasts do great when we pop them in at 7 in the morning and eat at 6 or 7 in the evening.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

I have handily hosed up meat with sous vide cooking, and that's sort of hard to do, don't feel too bad about this. I'm talking sous vide pork chops that are vaguely pink yet somehow also have the texture of ham...come to thin of it they were too goddamn lean as well.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

And rice maker and and and...

(I am the cult leader for Instant Pots. I could get rid of all other appliances and still be able to cook nearly everything.)

Even pasta? Even AL DENTE pasta?? Seriously though...what about steaks?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

colas posted:

Even pasta? Even AL DENTE pasta?? Seriously though...what about steaks?

Im not super sure on pasta but there are enough manual settings that you could figure it out quick.

I love getting 3 lbs of potatoes mash-ready in 5 minutes. Rice perfectly done in 12.

You could do a steak pretty easy since you can work it with the lid off. Toss down some butter or oil and go to down. It wouldn't be any different than a frying pan. Not as good as a charcoal BBQ but some of us live in apartments :)

I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that the Instant Pot is the best appliance I've ever had and you can usually get them under $100.

The 6 qt one is just about perfect for doing meal prep for two people for a week.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Less of a product request and more of a make sure I'm not making a dumb decision before purchasing request. Saturday I'm buying This GE Fridge and This Bosch 100 Dishwasher. These are decent choices for a family of 3 right? I decided on the cheaper Bosch due to the third silverware rack and slightly quieter operation not being worth $200. The fridge is just a plain fridge, I don't need anything more. They will be replacing a couple 25 year old appliances so anything really is an upgrade

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Hi guys,
I have two trips coming up this year that I'd like to get an anti-theft bag for. Doesn't need to hold a ton of stuff, maybe between 5-10L. I'd like to be able to tote around small objects like my phone, cash/cards, a battery pack and cables. Y'know, things you might want when you're out and about walking around all day in a strange city. Ideally it would be a cross-body so I don't have to worry about it being snatched off my shoulder.

Anyone have a bag/pack they'd recommend for a use like this? Right now I'm looking at the stuff from Pacsafe - they seem to have a lot of helpful security features. I used a Loctote on a trip last year, and while I felt that my stuff was safe, it wasn't comfortable to wear all day.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What can I put on my hardwood stairs to provide extra grip? My corgi struggles with them sometimes and I'm hoping to give him some more traction going up and down the steps. I also can't do anything too drastic as we are renting our current place.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

C-Euro posted:

What can I put on my hardwood stairs to provide extra grip? My corgi struggles with them sometimes and I'm hoping to give him some more traction going up and down the steps. I also can't do anything too drastic as we are renting our current place.

Clear anti slip tape?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

https://www.wayfair.ca/Alcott-Hill-...KYaAj-EEALw_wcB

Sorry for the weird link but we have something like this for our house. They stick on so you can remove them and clean off the glue with goo gone or something. I googled stick on stair runners

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Solid Cake posted:

Hi guys,
I have two trips coming up this year that I'd like to get an anti-theft bag for. Doesn't need to hold a ton of stuff, maybe between 5-10L. I'd like to be able to tote around small objects like my phone, cash/cards, a battery pack and cables. Y'know, things you might want when you're out and about walking around all day in a strange city. Ideally it would be a cross-body so I don't have to worry about it being snatched off my shoulder.

Anyone have a bag/pack they'd recommend for a use like this? Right now I'm looking at the stuff from Pacsafe - they seem to have a lot of helpful security features. I used a Loctote on a trip last year, and while I felt that my stuff was safe, it wasn't comfortable to wear all day.

I bought a Pacsafe as my carry-on and daypack for travelling and the quality seems quite OK. The features are fairly well-designed, but a lot of the 'real' protection seems to be from a single direction and only for some compartments. It's also not the biggest so I'm not sure if using it as a carry-on was the best idea.
For protection against quick-snatch and pick-pocketing it seems very well designed for sure.
It's also very adjustable which I like a lot.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

experienceBeej posted:

I’ve been really happy with my Miele Cat & Dog model. I picked it up used and it’s quiet and reliable.

There was a reddit thread where a vacuum repairman recommended Miele because they’re reliable and also easy to repair if they *do* break down. It’s what he was using himself. So I took the plunge and have been very impressed.

Croatoan posted:

I've owned a Dyson and I've owned a Shark. While the Dyson is better it's not worth the "holy loving poo poo" price tag. The shark is great and only put me back like $150

Are there any recommendations between these two price points or is the consensus that anything in between is not worth the extra cost? I'm more than happy buying the shark since it's at a decent price, but I have the extra budget if there was something significantly better but I don't have $1000 to spend on the Miele.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

My keyboard doesn't have media keys or volume control, and it turns out that I miss those. Is there a product that would serve these functions without me having to change my keyboard? I can only find "streamer decks" or this which is exactly what I want but ridiculously expensive.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Simone Poodoin posted:

My keyboard doesn't have media keys or volume control, and it turns out that I miss those. Is there a product that would serve these functions without me having to change my keyboard? I can only find "streamer decks" or this which is exactly what I want but ridiculously expensive.

You could use a macro keyboard application to bind a unique keystroke to volume and media controls.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Geoj posted:

You could use a macro keyboard application to bind a unique keystroke to volume and media controls.

This is what I do. I have a few keys that I don't use on my keyboard and used Keyboard Maestro to map them to hardware media keys.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Slimy Hog posted:

Are there any recommendations between these two price points or is the consensus that anything in between is not worth the extra cost? I'm more than happy buying the shark since it's at a decent price, but I have the extra budget if there was something significantly better but I don't have $1000 to spend on the Miele.

You can get a Miele canister model for CAD$350, according to ads I’ve seen in my city. I can’t remember if that comes with a powered nozzle or not, though. I bought mine used with a Powerhead for CAD$300. If you’re going to drop that kind of cash and you’ve got a vacuum store in your town, go check it out. Run one and see how you like it.

CAD$1000 gets you something more like a Riccar, which are crazy expensive and supposed to be top-notch. I’m cheap, so it was definitely not on my radar. Also, I wanted the next vacuum I bought to feel like the *last* vacuum I was going to buy, and the Miele really does feel like that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I love Miele, but do NOT get an upright. It's such a pain moving it around that I don't vacuum as much as I should.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

experienceBeej posted:

You can get a Miele canister model for CAD$350, according to ads I’ve seen in my city. I can’t remember if that comes with a powered nozzle or not, though. I bought mine used with a Powerhead for CAD$300. If you’re going to drop that kind of cash and you’ve got a vacuum store in your town, go check it out. Run one and see how you like it.

CAD$1000 gets you something more like a Riccar, which are crazy expensive and supposed to be top-notch. I’m cheap, so it was definitely not on my radar. Also, I wanted the next vacuum I bought to feel like the *last* vacuum I was going to buy, and the Miele really does feel like that.

Mieles are great. The superior vacuum in everything except the bags. Even then you can get them for pretty cheap.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Big thanks to the people that recommended Anker to me a page back. Just got it today and it fulfils all the requirements I had. Also seems to be alright so far.

So thanks again!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Is Bluetooth functionality a working/funcitonal thing with TVs? I tried it with my Vizio and a Sony BT-enable boombox but the delay was too long. The BT setting for the TV is just "ON/OFF" so I'm like, how do I even pair this with my earbuds? How *did* I pair it with the boombox? It was a while ago when I experimented with it. I guess it was do-able because the boombox has an LCD screen displaying the device and just pairs automatically. It would be nice to have that feature if I want to watch TV and not wake anyone up. Or maybe someone can recommend another option for using wireless headphones with my TV?

colas has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Jun 2, 2019

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
The tv might be looking for an input rather than outputting to headphones

colas
Feb 14, 2007

It outputs BT. I can get it to connect on my boombox but not my headphones. There's too much delay anyway. It would probably be the same if I connected any speaker or headphone.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for a backpack for theme parking. Wife and I are looking to retire our current one in favor of something a little more sturdy.
Need something that's not too big so as not too bulky when carrying around all day and on rides, preferably a material that can hold sewn on patches well, and has a bottle holder on the side that can securely hold a 24oz bottle.

Don't wanna break the bank too much on this so $150 is probably the very top of the budget

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I'm thinking about getting my dad a Worx pressure washer. It's a 20V $120.00 rechargeable portable pressure washer. Would anyone recommend it or another portable pressure gun?

I also got him/mom a "FDA cleared OTC HealthmateForever YK15AB TENS unit with 4 outputs, apply 8 pads at the same time"

TENS = transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation

Do those things work? I think Bruce Lee was using one in Dragon: The Bruce Lee story. Or was that a muscle stimulator/builder?

Anyway the TENS machine was just $25 and had :kingsley:OVER 9K:kingsley: mostly positive reviews. So I figured I try it because sciatica etc.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Anybody know what will get hard water stains off windows? The Internet says vinegar (the Internet ALWAYS says vinegar), but vinegar did not touch these stains. What else should I try before I just give up and call a window guy?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Anybody know what will get hard water stains off windows? The Internet says vinegar (the Internet ALWAYS says vinegar), but vinegar did not touch these stains. What else should I try before I just give up and call a window guy?

CLR? Be careful it doesn't damage the window trim.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Have you gone at it with a razor? Combination of vinegar and razor usually works, though some hard water might be minerals that aren't as susceptible to vinegar.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Not sure about interior windows, but when my shower doors get heavily deposited with crap, I found polishing clears stuff up the best. Something milder with bar keepers friend to something a little more abrasive like NuFinish / Carpro Ceriglass. Then if you want to go out all you can go with cerium oxide, but it is super messy and annoying to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm debating getting a kindle paperwhite. I know I can get tons of free ebooks from the library, but my nightstand has a bunch of regular books on it already.