Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It should be safe. I leave the WiFi off when not directly using it to conserve battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow I forgot update my 3DS from the older custom firmware to the newer one, and doing that fixed the broken Ambassador Program games as well. :toot:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I always forget that the 3DS lineup was so bad at launch that they had to immediately lower the price and send out a bundle of games as a "hey thanks for actually buying this" to early adopters.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the best streaming to PC option on the 3DS? I see both CuteNTR and Snickerstream. I tried the later on the NTR mode, and it plays well, but it so compass looking, looking like a bad jpg in motion.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

I always forget that the 3DS lineup was so bad at launch that they had to immediately lower the price and send out a bundle of games as a "hey thanks for actually buying this" to early adopters.

It’s pretty lame that they didn’t do the same for early Wii U owners.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

American McGay posted:

They also locked those games behind the ambassador program so that no one else could ever get them even if they were willing to pay for them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the 3ds launch was really poorly managed, then got further hamstrung when they realized the Wii U wasn’t the Wii 2, sales-wise and shifted more development to it

There was a real big 3ds dry spell for a long time

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
A new3DS in decent condition has popped up on my local Facebook marketplace for €85 with a few good games and I'm in half a mind to buy it and install a bunch of poo poo on it, tell me what to do thread

On the one hand I already have a switch I'm very happy with and a hefty backlog on that.

On the other, I never had a 3DS and I'm sure theres plenty of games on there I wanna play that might never get around to getting switch ports, along with older DS games I missed and everything on the emulators

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are a billion games for it when you count 3DS, DS and DSi games.

Some of the games on it are the definitive versions even if they have newer Switch releases (The M2 version of Streets of Rage 2 for example)

It will be an interesting historical footnote with its glassesless 3D and facetracking and the games on it will be worth remembering because of that.

Homebrew that takes advantage of the 3D is really cool, like Doom in glassesless 3D

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I don’t need to worry about my switch getting permabanned if I’m using homebrew on my 3DS, right? I think they’re tied to the same account.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Bans are hardware only.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Rock My Socks! posted:

I don’t need to worry about my switch getting permabanned if I’m using homebrew on my 3DS, right? I think they’re tied to the same account.

No, other than one weird banwave, as far as I know nobody's been banned for anything but cheating or playing unreleased games early. And as above, bans are for the specific hardware ID and not at the account level.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
So I bought the new3DS for €80 with Smash, Captain Toad, SM3DLand, EverOasis, Castlevania Mirror of Fate and Professor Layton Miracle Mask which seems like a pretty great deal considering it's in very good condition and most of those games are actually decent

Now to mod this thing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Modding is godlike... I managed to rip a few physical games (DQVII and VIII and Bravely Default) to digital and transfer the saves so I don’t have to start over

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Just got this New 2DSXL from someone yesterday for $50:

Has no stock stylus, but it came with a 4gb microSD and the charger. In great shape. loving score. I really, really hope this isn't stolen.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Bank posted:

Pretty much. The hack allows you to inject code before anything else opens up. I think it was intended for service/factory purposes. I have two in the serial range and don't plan on selling either. They are fantastic retro gaming machines.

Thanks! I spotted an unpatched Mario Odyssey Bundle with Zelda, Smash and Mario Kart for like 340€ so I guess I will pull the trigger! The used prices on Amazon for the bundle alone are more than that ...

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently GameCube and dc emulation is great on Seitch with Laila? Can anyone here confirm

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Apparently GameCube and dc emulation is great on Seitch with Laila? Can anyone here confirm

Not personally but I saw a video of someone running Dragon Quest Battle Road (Wii) on it and while there was a few audio skips while loading/caching, I was real impressed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bank posted:

Just got this New 2DSXL from someone yesterday for $50:

Has no stock stylus, but it came with a 4gb microSD and the charger. In great shape. loving score. I really, really hope this isn't stolen.

2dsxl is a real nice piece of hardware

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

parasyte posted:

No, other than one weird banwave, as far as I know nobody's been banned for anything but cheating or playing unreleased games early. And as above, bans are for the specific hardware ID and not at the account level.

Oh? I was going to restore an old nand to unhack my switch and play Mario maker 2 online, but I figured getting banned was only a matter of time anyways since I've played pirated nsps on my console. But I guess I could just be fine? Assuming I uninstall all the nsps beforehand.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's for 3DS. You can get banned for all kinds of reasons on switch

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Empress Brosephine posted:

Mixed results

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I downloaded it and tried out animal crossing. Still some sound bugs and runs at like 40 FPS with some spikes up to 60

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I bought a used game that I want to play via Dolphin, what's the best way to rip Wii games? I remember I used to do it with a Wii but it took a while and I don't have a Wii on me to do so, though I have some friends that might.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

s.i.r.e. posted:

I bought a used game that I want to play via Dolphin, what's the best way to rip Wii games? I remember I used to do it with a Wii but it took a while and I don't have a Wii on me to do so, though I have some friends that might.

You need a specific dvd drive with a specific microcontroller on it to be able to dump wii and gamecube games. It's much easier to do it with a wii instead since odds are you don't have that specific dvd drive.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Ripping_Games#Ripping_Discs_Using_a_Computer

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Archive dot org is a good source for legal backups of games that you own.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've never used the site for such but I doubt there's a dump of Coraline; I guess I'm asking people if they still have their Wiis.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

American McGay posted:

Which is mind blowing. How does Nintendo not crack down on that?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

s.i.r.e. posted:

I've never used the site for such but I doubt there's a dump of Coraline; I guess I'm asking people if they still have their Wiis.

It's up there actually, I just found it. I obviously can't post links here 'cause SA rules but it's not hard to google search for it

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

American McGay posted:

Games you own... C'mon man

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm more wondering why archive.org doesn't crack down on it. You would think they are losing a poo poo to of capacity to this kind of activity.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Archiving copyright property is fine as long as you delete the archive in 24 hours.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

archive.org is legally protected as a library

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bank posted:

I'm more wondering why archive.org doesn't crack down on it. You would think they are losing a poo poo to of capacity to this kind of activity.
Archive.org's mission is to preserve everything on the Internet and provide access to works that are no longer accessible. If a game is out of print and no longer available on a download service, that's exactly what they want to make accessible to users.

They do respond to non-frivolous DMCA requests from actual Copyright holders. So Nintendo can ask them to take down Nintendo games, but not "all Wii games" and some Wii game Copyright holders are defunct or otherwise don't care to act.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

I bought a used game that I want to play via Dolphin, what's the best way to rip Wii games?
If you have access to a modded Wii running the Homebrew Channel, then you can use CleanRip. I think you can rip straight to an SDHC card, but I've only use a "real" 2 GB SD (not SDHC) card and a larger USB flash drive plugged in the back. The actual ripping process is straight-forward and doesn't take unusually long. Maybe 10-15 minutes a disc?

If the Wii isn't already modded it's pretty straightforward to mod but might be time consuming. Honestly I'd consider picking up used Wii for $20 since it's a good system to have lying around, if only for this purpose.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I've never used the site for such but I doubt there's a dump of Coraline;
You'd be surprised. Scene pirates dumped everything they could get their hands on back in the day (volume was important) and even now preservationists are serious about dumping everything they can. If it's a retail release, it's been dumped. If it's a prototype or beta or some weird thing, it might still be dumped.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
a very quick google search for "coraline wii iso" seems to indicate that coraline for the wii has in fact been dumped

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is Coraline for the Wii any good

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you have access to a modded Wii running the Homebrew Channel, then you can use CleanRip. I think you can rip straight to an SDHC card, but I've only use a "real" 2 GB SD (not SDHC) card and a larger USB flash drive plugged in the back. The actual ripping process is straight-forward and doesn't take unusually long. Maybe 10-15 minutes a disc?

If the Wii isn't already modded it's pretty straightforward to mod but might be time consuming. Honestly I'd consider picking up used Wii for $20 since it's a good system to have lying around, if only for this purpose.

You'd be surprised. Scene pirates dumped everything they could get their hands on back in the day (volume was important) and even now preservationists are serious about dumping everything they can. If it's a retail release, it's been dumped. If it's a prototype or beta or some weird thing, it might still be dumped.

I'm gonna hang with a friend today who still has his Wii that I modded some years ago, should be easy enough to get it to dump the game. I guess I'll just go for archive download if I run into any issues.

Bogart posted:

Is Coraline for the Wii any good

I have no idea, but my friend loves the film so I bought it to play together in HD on Dolphin.

poo poo cost me $20. :suicide:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Man, I was curious, but the actual reviews of the game describe it as awful, so goddamn awful. I hope you like kusoge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Slightly related, but Dolphin's advancements in net play technology are really promising lately. Turn based stuff works flawlessly and it's getting to the point where lots of stuff is extremely playable.