Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
True, I left those out as I figure its a given. I just don't know why it took so long for it to dawn on me that it would count my subway passes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Simpsons Reference posted:

True, I left those out as I figure its a given. I just don't know why it took so long for it to dawn on me that it would count my subway passes

Some card(s) don't count some/all transit as travel. Depends on how it codes and what the card's policies are. It's nice when it does work, though!

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Residency Evil posted:

I've mainly used my csr points for Hyatt redemptions, although I have a hard time valuing an $800/night hotel when I wouldn't normally splurge like that on vacation.

Man, I haven't traveled much on points yet but when I do I always look for almost bottom barrel hotels. Why spend $800 or whatever points a night when you could instead have 4+ more days on vacation at a less nice hotel, especially when you are paying the same for airfare no matter how many days you stay on vacation? Someday I'll splurge on a luxury hotel, but it is very hard for me to see the benefit right now.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Something Offal posted:

Man, I haven't traveled much on points yet but when I do I always look for almost bottom barrel hotels. Why spend $800 or whatever points a night when you could instead have 4+ more days on vacation at a less nice hotel, especially when you are paying the same for airfare no matter how many days you stay on vacation? Someday I'll splurge on a luxury hotel, but it is very hard for me to see the benefit right now.

I'm the same way but am forcing myself to splurge on my Japan trip next year. I'll have a ton of points and I think it's time.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Something Offal posted:

Well sometimes the valuations are like, stay at a normal nothing special hotel for 20k points or stay at a 5 star amazing hotel for 30k points. So sure you could stay 3 nights at the 20k for what it costs for 2 nights at the 5 star, but hey why not splurge?

Of course when you just need a place to sleep for 5k points that can go a much farther way.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Sometimes a little luxury goes a long way when you're an older dude.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I find there’s a sweet spot at around 30-35k points in most places. Going down to 20k points is a big drop in comfort, and going up just adds luxury. I would only splurge if it’s the kind of resort where you are gonna be spending 80% of your time there, like all-inclusives in the Dominican Republic and other hotels that are the experience in on itself.

If it’s just a clean place with warm water, I aim for about 30k.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Something Offal posted:

:shrug: Hyatt isn't bad: 30k points for one of their top tier properties seems decent. My wife and I both work a lot and it's tough to take a ton of time off. The points keep piling up so why not splurge every now and then?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Something Offal posted:

That's how I feel about first class travel on airplanes, and I've experienced first class. I can't justify spending all those points when I can squeeze more seats in Economy for more travel. But I can see splurging on a hotel if I know that's my vacation. Usually, though, for me a hotel is a place to sleep and shower and that's it.

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003
There are some pretty major sweet spots on the award charts for hotels. For example, in an upcoming trip we have nights in centrally located urban hotel for 12,000 Hyatt points a night which would otherwise cost around 450. On the same trip we also have nights for 35,000 Marriott/Bonvoy points that would be $550 normally, plus an additional free night as well cause it’s a 5 night stay.

In both of those cases, those places are around the same cost as a 1 or 2 star hotel in much less convenient locations. Might as well have a 4 star on top of a metro stop with free breakfast, booze, appetizers and shuttle to the main station.

I am always looking to spread my travel and save points, but it doesn’t have to be an and/or proposition. Especially if you have a ton of points and limited vacation time like some folks have said.

And I’ll fly economy for anything under 8ish hours unless there’s a stellar deal. No way am I flying to Asia (with a lap child) in cattlecar when getting one or two more credit cards gets me business class.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I'm phasing out the usage of my Bank of America Travel Rewards CC, but I've got about 25,000 rewards points accumulated on it. $250 toward travel would be really nice, but I'd prefer to make my next flight purchase with my CSR because I really like the protection it offers. Would any of you happen to know if buying a gift card through an airline's website (in this case, American Airlines) counts as "travel"? Specifically, for Bank of America?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I don't know about gift cards, but almost anything travel related counts for the reimbursement so maybe use it for train tickets or Uber rides or musem tickets.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else getting emails in the past few days about terms changing on their Chase cards? There's a reason...

https://twitter.com/slashdot/status/1134251252890497024

quote:

JPMorgan Chase is quietly re-introducing a heavy-handed legal maneuver. Today, its Slate credit card customers received an email that the bank was updating its account terms. In the message was a lot of legalese about certain tweaks, and it included one big addition: forced arbitration. According to Chase, the new agreement includes a new section entitled "Binding Arbitration." The section goes as follows: "This arbitration agreement provides that all disputes between you and Chase must be resolved by BINDING ARBITRATION whenever you or we choose to submit or refer a dispute to arbitration. By accepting this arbitration agreement you GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO GO TO COURT (except for matters that may be taken to a small claims court). Arbitration will proceed on an INDIVIDUAL BASIS, so class actions and similar proceedings will NOT be available to you."

Chase adds that people can opt out of this clause, but they must do so by August 7, 2019, by mailing the bank a letter via snail mail. This is a reversal for the financial establishment. In 2009, Chase dropped a binding arbitration agreement from its credit card terms of service. This was in direct response to a class action lawsuit levied against Chase, Capital One, Bank of America, Citigroup, Discover, and HSBC, which accused them of illegally conspiring to force cardholders to go to arbitration for disputes instead of the courts. Some 10 years later, Chase now wants to employ the sneaky tactic once again. This agreement means that its Slate cardholders are unable to go to court against the bank, except for small claims. Most importantly, it means that cardholders cannot come together and levy a class action suit against the bank.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

EugeneJ posted:

Anyone else getting emails in the past few days about terms changing on their Chase cards? There's a reason...

https://twitter.com/slashdot/status/1134251252890497024

quote:

Chase adds that people can opt out of this clause, but they must do so by August 7, 2019, by mailing the bank a letter via snail mail.

Here's the relevant information from the email about how to opt-out:

quote:

Can I (the customer) reject this agreement to arbitrate?

Yes. You have the right to reject this agreement to arbitrate if you notify us no later than 8/10/2019. You must do so in writing by stating that you reject this agreement to arbitrate and include your name, account number, address and personal signature. Your notice must be mailed to us at P.O. Box 15298, Wilmington, DE 19850-5298. Rejection notices sent to any other address, or sent by electronic mail or communicated orally, will not be accepted or effective.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can you explain, as one would to an idiot, what that means?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Cacafuego posted:

Can you explain, as one would to an idiot, what that means?

If you have a dispute involving the card, you cannot sue them in court, since acceptance of the terms waives that right. Instead, you must submit your dispute to binding arbitration. The "binding" part means you have to follow what an arbitrator decides. An arbitrator is not a judge. Arbitrators are theoretically unbiased, but since corporations do hundreds or thousands of these and you do only one, outcomes tend to be biased toward corporations. They're also far cheaper to the corporations that actual court cases would be. Additionally, you are prohibited from combining your grievance with others that may have similar grievances, so each has to go through the expense individually, rather than joining together. All in all, it's a significant erosion of consumer rights, which is why it was the subject of a lawsuit a decade ago. I suspect this change will end up in court as well.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

If you don't opt out of their new terms by mailing a letter, you're agreeing that you basically cannot take them to court if you ever needed to. You'd have to go through what's called arbitration, which usually does not go very well for individuals, and lots of times, the arbitration includes lots of draconian measures meant to silence people.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This doesn't apply to CSR cards, right?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Residency Evil posted:

This doesn't apply to CSR cards, right?

It absolutely does. I got the notification a few days ago.

This isn't a "premium" versus "non-premium" distinction. If you (and not your personal assistant at the family office) carry a card, then you get the "gently caress you" treatment.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Slashdot posted:

Most importantly, it means that cardholders cannot come together and levy a class action suit against the bank.

This part in particular does not seem legal, and seems specifically targeted at the class action suit that got the arbitration clause dropped the last time.

Do they get sued so much that this is worth the inevitable legal hassle?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

angryrobots posted:

This part in particular does not seem legal, and seems specifically targeted at the class action suit that got the arbitration clause dropped the last time.

Do they get sued so much that this is worth the inevitable legal hassle?

The CFPB is dead, and Trump has been packing the courts. They're betting they win this time, and they're probably right.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Even if rejecting the forced arbitration doesn't cause them to immediately close your accounts, I'm still going to cancel all my CHASE cards and switch to someone that doesn't do forced arbitration (currently) like Capital One or something.

Right now I'm thinking that good replacements for the CSR and Freedom group is the Capital One Savor and Quicksilver cards (it turns out that I don't spend as much on travel as I used to). Is there a better idea I'm missing among institutions that don't have forced arbitration?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

vote_no posted:

Even if rejecting the forced arbitration doesn't cause them to immediately close your accounts, I'm still going to cancel all my CHASE cards and switch to someone that doesn't do forced arbitration (currently) like Capital One or something.

Right now I'm thinking that good replacements for the CSR and Freedom group is the Capital One Savor and Quicksilver cards (it turns out that I don't spend as much on travel as I used to). Is there a better idea I'm missing among institutions that don't have forced arbitration?

Don't bother; they'll do the same thing.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

vote_no posted:

Anyone got a guess as to how likely it would actually be for them to close accounts of people who try to opt out? Mailing a letter isn't that hard; I've got all of the supplies and a mailbox a block from my house, but I hadn't considered if they'd actually retaliate against people who try to opt out.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pseudorandom posted:

Anyone got a guess as to how likely it would actually be for them to close accounts of people who try to opt out? Mailing a letter isn't that hard; I've got all of the supplies and a mailbox a block from my house, but I hadn't considered if they'd actually retaliate against people who try to opt out.

They won't.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah I think I'll send the opt out just to create more paperwork for them.

The only Chase card I have is for Amazon. It may be more fruitful to complain to Amazon about this change, especially if a group of card users came together and threatened to leave Prime.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Yeah I think I'll send the opt out just to create more paperwork for them.

The only Chase card I have is for Amazon. It may be more fruitful to complain to Amazon about this change, especially if a group of card users came together and threatened to leave Prime.

I only got the email for my non-Amazon Chase card. I haven't checked to see if the Amazon card T&C changed also. I cancelled the other card and told them specifically why, figured that sends a stronger message to Chase vs just opting out. If the Amazon card is under the same terms, I guess it's going away too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I got the email for my Amazon rewards card.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Boo, lame

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Can you get the Amazon card if you only have prime from a grandfathered family plan?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Tyro posted:

I cancelled the other card and told them specifically why, figured that sends a stronger message to Chase vs just opting out.

Hahah, you honestly think a reason you gave a call center employee for cancelling your individual consumer credit card has any impact whatsoever?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone can get the card. Prime subscribers just get more cash back from Amazon purchases

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Something Offal posted:

Hahah, you honestly think a reason you gave a call center employee for cancelling your individual consumer credit card has any impact whatsoever?

:shrug:

More impact than doing nothing. They wouldn't ask if they weren't tracking the metrics.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

quote:

You must do so in writing by stating that you reject this agreement to arbitrate and include your name, account number, address and personal signature
Anyone know if they seriously want the entire account number in the letter, or just the last 4 digits?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone gotten a double cash recently? Mine is expiring soon and I'm wondering if the replacement they will send will have the NFC chip for contactless payment. I find myself using the Quicksilver sometimes since it has the NFC and the double cash doesn't. Missing out on that sweet sweet 0.5% cashback

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Has anyone gotten a double cash recently? Mine is expiring soon and I'm wondering if the replacement they will send will have the NFC chip for contactless payment. I find myself using the Quicksilver sometimes since it has the NFC and the double cash doesn't. Missing out on that sweet sweet 0.5% cashback

Pretty sure Citi still only offers contactless on their Costco card for some reason.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good, reliable resource on paying off student loans through using a 0% balance transfer APR offer on a credit card? My wife and I are trying to get hers paid off as soon as possible so we can free up funds for other stuff (school, moving, kids, etc.) but I want to make sure I'm not missing some fine detail that will gently caress us over if we pull the trigger on it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good, reliable resource on paying off student loans through using a 0% balance transfer APR offer on a credit card? My wife and I are trying to get hers paid off as soon as possible so we can free up funds for other stuff (school, moving, kids, etc.) but I want to make sure I'm not missing some fine detail that will gently caress us over if we pull the trigger on it.

As someone who has done this with a portion of mine already, there are several options that provide 0% APR and $0 balance transfer fee. Ideally, that’s what you want. Also, look for one that has the longest amount of 0%APR time. Obviously, you also want a large credit line, so use your combined income when applying and make yourself an authorized user. If they don’t give you a good credit line automatically, call in and ask for more. I assume you each have good credit.

I think I chose a Bank of America cash rewards card that offered $0 balance transfer fee and 0% APR for 15 months. We paid off $22,000 in that 15 months.

Ensure you either a) pay it off within that promo period, or prior to the time running out b) apply for another bank’s card and transfer the balance to the other card by then. You don’t want to get hit with the interest.

The Chase slate used to be the one that offered the longest promo period, but I think Barclays has one and I know BofA has theirs too. Others may be available, but I haven’t checked in a while.

Mine were private loans, so I don’t know if you can pay off federal student loans with them.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Unless things have changed in the last while, another option is to buy "gift of college" gift cards with a high-earning and/or 0% interest credit card, then use those to pay off the student loan. Make sure to look into whether it's all supported before embarking, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Anyone using Alliant's Visa? I bank with them, would like to switch over my credit card from Citi, just wondering if the web interface is good, transactions show up quickly etc. Citi's is alright, the only thing that bugs me about it is that I can't pay much over the current balance and I'd like to be able to do that to cover pending stuff.