Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing is I think Keanu slowing down as the movie goes on is at least somewhat deliberate

Like, Wick takes a loving beating over the course of this movie, worse than he has in any of the others, and is basically running on painkillers and adrenaline through the first couple acts

(And then in the last act he's recovering from horrible exhaustion and dehydration so naturally he's not gonna be at his A-game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yeah, it’s not like Keanu Reeves filmed in real-time. He’s slowing down because the character is exhausted. The Raid guys even comment as much. It’s a narrative choice that makes sense.

I find it interesting that John is Roma. It lends something to the outsider and underclass implications of his conflict with the High Table. And provides some context for the othering behind his reputation as Baba Yaga...like he’s some inscrutable mystery who came from nowhere. It just kind of fits as an ethnic stereotype for Roma.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xealot posted:

Yeah, it’s not like Keanu Reeves filmed in real-time. He’s slowing down because the character is exhausted. The Raid guys even comment as much. It’s a narrative choice that makes sense.

And those guys toying with him even pays off in the fight not being one to the death.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xealot posted:

Yeah, it’s not like Keanu Reeves filmed in real-time. He’s slowing down because the character is exhausted.

Awesome let's make a real Max Payne movie adaptation instead of a JW4 because the joke is very tired at this point

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

I'm waiting for that big effort post on art history and such from whoever posted one after Chapter 2 came out.

I was the guy who did the big effort post on the art in JW2, I'll need to wait for the bluray of the film so I can freeze frame every scene before I can start on JW3. :v:

Lobok posted:

Particularly about all those paintings that were in the room where John paid for his "ticket" with Angelica Huston's character. They weren't in focus but I'm pretty sure one of them behind Huston was Judith Beheading Holofernes or maybe the Caravaggio version of the same scene.

The big obvious paintings may have carried that theme but take a gander at the painting that was immediately behind Huston, almost hidden from view. :ssh:

Edit: Anyone wanna take a crack at identifying this guy? The uniform seems to be a civil war major general as far as I can guess

Edit 2: also note the symbolism of the guy in the library not buying into the reputation of the Baba Yaga and learning the hard way by being force fed a book on Russian folk tales. :v:

RBA Starblade posted:

In retrospect he didn't get that many guns, only like two

Considering what he achieve with one lovely gun and seven bullets in the previous film, two guns and a whole belt full of clips is a lot of guns in Wick's hands.

Edit 3: regarding that specific book in the library scene, Narodnye Russkie Skazki by Alexander Afanasyev, the specific colour plate which is hiding the hidden compartment (which has a photo of John and Sofia) is 'Vasilisa the Beautiful' by painter Ivan Bilibin:

It's a story about a beautiful step-daughter asking Baba Yaga for help and being assigned some 'impossible' tasks before Baba Yaga gives her the fire to rekindle the candles at homes, and in the process the evil step-mother and step-sisters are burned to ash and so Vasilisa escapes her miserable life and lives happily ever after.
Note that Sofia's office in the Casablancan Continental is lit entirely with candles in lamps, and John gives her an 'impossible' task which puts her at odds with the High Table, her 'adopted' family.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 24, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The big obvious paintings may have carried that theme but take a gander at the painting that was immediately behind Huston, almost hidden from view. :ssh:

The one of the baby being held? I take it that's referencing her and John but what is the painting?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Keanu is starting to look older, his face is softening around the edges. Dude is old, though. I don't think the slowing is intentional to show he was hurt from other stuff. It's fine.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The character was originally written as a man in his mid-60s before Keanu came aboard. He's meant to be exactly the age Keanu is. This is a silly discussion. Everything is choreographed so nobody ends up with a bad neck and back at the end of production so I assume it's also exactly the speed at which all that flipping and rolling doesn't hurt after repeated takes.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The director said that they'd shoot sometimes 12-13 hours of fight footage in a day and he'd occasionally leave in the takes that were messy because it's more real.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Origami Dali posted:

The director said that they'd shoot sometimes 12-13 hours of fight footage in a day and he'd occasionally leave in the takes that were messy because it's more real.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw in an interview that the take where John rejects the offer to be helped up after The Raid guys knock the poo poo out of him because he's exhausted but still wants to appear composed was Keanu's real unscripted reaction that got left in.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

So I'm getting the feeling that if I like this series I'd like The Raid?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

jojoinnit posted:

Almost definitely. The second one is a little long but both movies rule for incredible and violent martial arts.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

jojoinnit posted:

Unequivocally yes

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

Ummmmm go watch both right now holy moly

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

They're not streaming not Netflix or Amazon Prime :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Also it's not AS good as the Raid flicks but check out Killzone 2 (no relation to the video games) on Netflix because it similarly fuckin' owns. Depending on where you are/what streaming services you use, it might also be under the title SPL 2: A Time for Consequences.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jojoinnit posted:

Much like this series, they're unquestionably some of the best action movies of the decade. The fight scenes in them are just visceral as gently caress.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Movie was loving awesome. I really like the implication that John did ballet as a child as part of his training. A nice little gently caress you to the assholes obsessed over "masculinity."

Also nthing the recommendation to watch The Raid movies. The second one not only has some fantastic martial arts fights, but also a really cool car chase sequence.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if John Wick has seen Come and See.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Xealot posted:

I find it interesting that John is Roma. It lends something to the outsider and underclass implications of his conflict with the High Table. And provides some context for the othering behind his reputation as Baba Yaga...like he’s some inscrutable mystery who came from nowhere. It just kind of fits as an ethnic stereotype for Roma.

I don't know that this is necessarily the case. It could as much be the case that he was taken in as an orphan. I seem to remember that the ballerinas we see in training are multi-ethnic.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

I don't know that this is necessarily the case. It could as much be the case that he was taken in as an orphan. I seem to remember that the ballerinas we see in training are multi-ethnic.

The thing I specifically remember was him being called out as Belarusian. That said, all the members of the ballet school were credited as "Ruska Roma", e.g. "Ruska Roma Guard", "Ruska Roma Sentry", "Ruska Roma Doorman", etc.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I thought I saw Bridgette Nielson during the setup bit where the phones go off in the continental but Google says I am wrong

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If anyone needs some more Mark Dacascos action you can check him out in Drive, a martial arts movie from the late 90s that was posted in the Action Movies thread a ways back. It's on Amazon Prime and on YouTube.

In addition to his sweet moves you can also see him bobbing his head to some rap, and singing karaoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6DplIfkOrk

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jojoinnit posted:

The Raid is loving miles above and beyond John Wick 2&3. It's unreal just how loving good it is, an absolute instant classic. I remember talking about it in hushed tones like, hey, dude, did you see... The Raid?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Raid and Dredd came out around the same time and use the same concept, but while Dredd is loving great, The Raid is even better.

It's pretty much a modern classic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dredd and The Raid are such utterly different movies beyond the basic premise of "cops storm an apartment building to take down a crime lord" that I feel weird comparing them.

Like, even setting aside all the differences in the details of the plot, the two movies handle action very differently. Dredd is almost all gun work, with the focus being way more on the gory results than the technique, whereas The Raid is hand to hand fights with more of a focus on technique and speed. Like, there's nothing equivalent to the Mad Dog fight in Dredd, and that's not a knock on the movie's action, it just literally doesn't have anything that maps cleanly to it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It is hard to compare the two, and yet... The Raid is better.

(Dredd still rules)

Also, I've seen a lot of The Raid 2 dismissal recently. Not in this thread in particular, but still, I feel like I have to mention how loving good it is. A lot of people complain about the length and the crime movie plot feeling kinda basic, but they both work like gangbusters for me. Especially the length, because it just means it's loaded with amazing fight scenes.

The Raid 2 literally has a fight scene that was cut out that looks like this:

https://vimeo.com/90092972

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Raid stole Dredd's script, sort of yeah? Dredd came out after, but was shot way before The Raid got made. Either way the similarities are really similar.

Both films open with the villain of the complex killing bad drug dealers/or enemies. Both films have the exact same scene where the villain locks down the place, and sends anyone to take down the cops. Both films have a "the police were bad" twist. Both films have a big fight in a drug factory.

I haven't watched them back to back in a while, but I'm sure there's more.

I want to give it to Dredd for being a better movie. I honestly like The Raid 2 a little bit more than 1.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I think it was just a case of two similar movies coming out at the same time. "Cops infiltrating a drug dealer's fortified apartment complex" kinda seems specific, but they were basically filmed simultaneously.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Unless you hate good things, yeah.

Rageaholic posted:

The Raid and Dredd came out around the same time and use the same concept, but while Dredd is loving great, The Raid is even better.

It's pretty much a modern classic.

If you combined the Raid's action with Dredd's everything else, you'd have the greatest action film ever made.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Loved this movie.

Thing about the very end: I know people who are 100% convinced that Winston straight-up betrayed John to get back in the good graces of the High Table. This is ludicrous to me. Among the other tidbits that everyone else has caught and pointed out, the capper for me was when he said "how far can he get?" to the Adjudicator after being told that Wick is gone. Winston knows better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CVagts posted:

Loved this movie.

Thing about the very end: I know people who are 100% convinced that Winston straight-up betrayed John to get back in the good graces of the High Table. This is ludicrous to me. Among the other tidbits that everyone else has caught and pointed out, the capper for me was when he said "how far can he get?" to the Adjudicator after being told that Wick is gone. Winston knows better.
I just assumed John and Winston both knew what was going on the whole time :shobon:

John may have acted like he didn't know what was happening, but I'm pretty sure he knew the score and was willing to go along with it. I mean he was still wearing his Kevlar suit jacket, wasn't he? Not that that would protect him from the fall off the roof, but the gunshots probably just felt like a punch rather than an actual shot.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CVagts posted:

Loved this movie.

Whether or not John knew, it seemed pretty obvious that Winston was "sparing" John by shooting him over the edge. Winston is definitely not on the side of the High Table, but he's keeping poo poo open.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

The one of the baby being held? I take it that's referencing her and John but what is the painting?

Dunno, haven't tracked it down yet

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's another super violent one. I think it's... The Night Comes For Us. Check that out if you can. If you like John Wick you'll probably dig this one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Firstborn posted:

There's another super violent one. I think it's... The Night Comes For Us. Check that out if you can. If you like John Wick you'll probably dig this one.

It also has some nice goon representation, with one of the heroes being a fat white guy who's literally named White Boy Bobby and uses sheet metal as armor

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

If anyone needs some more Mark Dacascos action you can check him out in Drive, a martial arts movie from the late 90s that was posted in the Action Movies thread a ways back. It's on Amazon Prime and on YouTube.

In addition to his sweet moves you can also see him bobbing his head to some rap, and singing karaoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6DplIfkOrk

The screenplay for Drive was originally supposed to be a Stallone/Chan vehicle, I believe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The screenplay for Drive was originally supposed to be a Stallone/Chan vehicle, I believe.

That would have been hilarious if nothing else was different except that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

Yea it has a bunch of people from the Raid movies. Another one on Netflix by the same director is Headshot, also starring Iko Uwais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Reposting from genchat because I thought the thread might dig it;