Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The third installment in the much-beloved John Wick series of action films is about to hit. Feel free to use this thread to discuss the movie, the previous two movies in the franchise, other movies Stahelski has worked on, and your favorite stories of Keanu Reeves being just the gosh darned nicest guy.

The John Wick films are some of the most critically-acclaimed action films around and are generally considered to be some of the best examples of pure action filmmaking showmanship this side of The Raid. Directed by Chad Stahelski, a former stuntman (whose most famous job was taking Brandon Lee’s role after his death on the set of The Crow,) the John Wick films are widely credited with reviving Keanu Reeves’ career and marking an end to the Paul Greengrass-inspired method of action filmmaking where you have twelve different cuts in the span of five seconds to mimic how stressful a fight is or whatever. Each action scene in these movies is a beautiful ballet of carnage, sold by the fact that Keanu has agility that would be impressive for a man in his 20s, let alone his mid-50s.

Unfortunately, Chapter 3 is one of those movies you can’t describe the premise of without spoiling the previous, so here goes: In a secretive underworld of assassins, a central organization known as The High Table runs a cabal of skilled hitmen (hitpeople?) and a shadowed society for them complete with its own currency. The Continental Hotels serve as shelters for these professionals, with one central rule: no business conducted (read as: no capping motherfuckers) on hotel grounds.

So our buddy John went ahead and killed a leader of The High Table in the hotel. :eng99:

Hunted by The High Table, hotel cleaners, and the scores of assassins otherwise after the $14 million bounty on his head, John Wick is the most wanted man on Earth, and is set to spend the rest of his life on the run, however much is left of it.

New cast members include Halle Berry, Tiger Chen (who played the protagonist of Reeves’ surprisingly solid directorial debut, Man of Tai Chi,) Jason Mantzoukas (oooh, maximum Derek,) and Asia Kate Dillon. Returning will be Ian McShane, Lance Reddick, and Laurence Fishburne.

The John Wick films are just solid filmmaking from start to finish. The premises and writing all sound like they’d be loving insufferable on paper but they pull it off with just enough intrigue and ambiguity it still manages to stay cool. The situations are goofy but all taken gravely seriously, to prevent too much obnoxious self-aware yuks. And many, many people get shot in the head. You owe it to yourself to check these out if you ever had a fantasy of being an action hero as a kid.

To be fair, it was a really cute dog.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Any previous use of "this movie has momentum" is literally null and void, because the way in which Parabellum starts is like shoving a carolina reaper through the middle of a Slayer CD, crushing it up with some speed, and injecting it through your urethra. Not even a Crank movie has started this quickly. Then, Parabellum has the iron-clad titanium balls to keep it going for two and a bit hours.

See it with an audience, be prepared to shout "hell yeah" an awful lot, it's good. I've got no idea how the gently caress they've kept up this quality for three movies.

Most "gently caress yeah moments" in descending order:
Glass-case-ageddon
"Slight armour upgrades?"
Dogs with jobs!
Dogs with jobs, biting dicks!
SWORD BIKES!
HORSE GUNS!
LIBRARIES ARE COOL AGAIN
THE RAID DUDES DOING SWORD STUFF
DOGS WITH JOBS DOING HIGH JUMP gently caress YEAH

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Are the dogs okay? This is important.

I'm super loving keen for this. I missed the first in cinemas because i dismissed among the other taken cash ins (90s leading man doing action) and really regret. This looks loving incredible.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Snowman_McK posted:

Are the dogs okay? This is important.

I'm super loving keen for this. I missed the first in cinemas because i dismissed among the other taken cash ins (90s leading man doing action) and really regret. This looks loving incredible.

...........................................yeah the dogs are all healthy and are all very good boyes....................................

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My friend made a seven hour drive down to visit me so we could watch the second movie in theaters and now I'm flying cross country to visit him so we can see the third. I'm more hyped for this movie than I was for avengers and game of thrones combined. Hearing all the good reviews coming in is just the cherry on top. John Wick Forever.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Just back from seeing this earlier and holy poo poo is it everything I wanted and more.

"Guns. Lot's of guns."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Hilariously, my wife can put up with an unlimited human body count but will not watch it if there is any animal death/cruelty. I need to watch it first to make sure all the :dogge: are fine before she'll watch it. Then watch it again with her if all the critters make it while all the fuckface humans eat hot lead all day.

Oh no don't make me watch Wick movies multiple times

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

If I ever really told people the true # of times I've watched John Wick 2 they'd probably have me locked up.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

If I ever really told people the true # of times I've watched John Wick 2 they'd probably have me locked up.

I mean, if your action movie is gonna be a blatant ripoff of another one’s, Enter the Dragon is a pretty drat good one to pick.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

Hilariously, my wife can put up with an unlimited human body count but will not watch it if there is any animal death/cruelty. I need to watch it first to make sure all the :dogge: are fine before she'll watch it. Then watch it again with her if all the critters make it while all the fuckface humans eat hot lead all day.

if 2 is anything to go by, we're out of the dog-dying woods

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Ah, another in the line of "thrilling action" movies where the indestructible, perfect at everything, never in the slightest danger hero slaughters unending hordes of automatic weapon wielding baddies by doing impossible things and only being shot where hes wearing magic body armor.

Hes back from his permanent retirement. Again. Again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

504 posted:

Ah, another in the line of "thrilling action" movies where the indestructible, perfect at everything, never in the slightest danger hero slaughters unending hordes of automatic weapon wielding baddies by doing impossible things and only being shot where hes wearing magic body armor.

hell yea

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

504 posted:

I’m not sure you’ve seen an action movie before.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

504 posted:

RACIST, SEXIST, ABLEIST AND UNFUNNY THREAD-making GBS threads DICKHEAD WHO LIKES TO TALK ABOUT WEIRD RAPE FANTASIES OFTEN CHECK OUT THIS RAP SHEET AND THEN PLEASE CHAIN PROBE

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

504 posted:

I understand being tired of those types of movies in general, but the JW series is pretty much the best execution of that concept ever, in cinema history and you're doing yourself a disservice by writing them off

Specifically: John is very much not indestructible, the one thing he's perfect at is something he hates the gently caress out of doing, and while the first movie was pretty much establishing him as A Man With Whom You Do Not Want To gently caress, he's basically in mortal danger through the entire second movie and even moreso in this one (and explicitly only gets away from a lot of dangerous situations through guile and dumb luck). And he's being forcibly dragged out of his retirement by arcane criminal rules, not willingly coming back.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, this is the first Wick movie where body armor is coming up at all, and it seems to be handled semi-realistically from the trailers (the body armor is penetrable, Wick just has to get in close and use more rounds than usual).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
While I understand why there was a transition to faceless mooks this movie, I didn't really like what it did to the action. Between that and some of the either goofier or more computer-editing-intense scenes, a lot of the action felt very aesthetically different than previous movies. I also felt that Keanu kinda showed his age in the fight against Cecep Rahman and Yayan Ruhian.

It looked nice and it was pretty decent on the whole, but I felt there was quite a bit that I didn't really like.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

504 posted:

The cool thing about Wick is that he doesn't do impossible things. Keanu Reeves is in really good shape, but he still moves like a real human who's in his 50s.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I'm not gonna say this lightly

If you like action movies this one has me making a new avatar for myself

See it

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I bought my ticket for Friday evening's show. Then said gently caress it, checked, and bought Thursday's first showing.

So there maybe for both.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, this is the first Wick movie where body armor is coming up at all, and it seems to be handled semi-realistically from the trailers (the body armor is penetrable, Wick just has to get in close and use more rounds than usual).

He literally gets stuck playing a round of The Division (the first one).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hand Knit posted:

I also felt that Keanu kinda showed his age in the fight against Cecep Rahman and Yayan Ruhian.

WHOA loving WHAT

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

WHOA loving WHAT

Yeah I was blissfully unaware they were in this and then spotted them very early on. I then spent a while just waiting for them to reappear and do something. I was not displeased when they did.

I left the cinema wanting to watch those 2 films and now will do very soon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
for the first time in 11 years i preordered a ticket for the midnight premiere, thats how hype i am for Jan Wick

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

his jacket in the second one is armored, theres a gag where he uses it as a shield

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Who is this John Wick guy? You talk about him like he’s the boogeyman or something.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I’m seeing a triple feature of all three films tomorrow at the Drafthouse :toot:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

you better get that glass. It looks sick.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wish Keanu just went by his real name in these movies, making this the "Keanu Reeves" trilogy because Keanu owns.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

504 posted:

So basically you are trying a pissweak troll while making it perfectly clear you have never actually see a John Wick film

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CelticPredator posted:

you better get that glass. It looks sick.

I didn’t buy it when I ordered my ticket but if they have any still on hand tomorrow I’ll get one for sure.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Imagine putting the words thrilling action in sarcastic quotes to describe John Wick.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I liked it a lot! The set pieces were great. I think 1 and 2 just about edge it out. They feel a *bit* more stylish than John Wick 3.

My biggest issue was why Wick's goal in this movie was to try and get to this elder to ask him to lift the excommunicado. With ending on obvious sequel bait it makes this movie feel a bit more like setup than being the thrilling concluding chapter I expected.

Other than revenge the interesting theme I see that has developed is about Wick reckoning with how oppressive the social structure of the world is. Just looking at JW2 - executing Santonio on Continental grounds. Santonio is comfortable in exploiting those structures to get away with his plan and Wick realises the only way he can get "justice" is to violate the rules of the world.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Casablanca section was a bit ordinary. I liked the combat doggies, but otherwise the whole thing was a generic middle-eastern adventure story iconography showcase. It ends strong though, and the first 40 minutes might be best stretch of action filmmaking since Fury Road.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

WHOA loving WHAT

I watched this with an Indonesian audience and they loving loved their role, especially when Keanu says "Sampai jumpa"

Movie was great, will watch again

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Casablanca section was a bit ordinary. I liked the combat doggies, but otherwise the whole thing was a generic middle-eastern adventure story iconography showcase. It ends strong though, and the first 40 minutes might be best stretch of action filmmaking since Fury Road.

Yeah, the action movie combat dog tricks were probably the one 'innovative' part I liked the best.

Thinking on it some more now, I'm warming to it a bit. Sofia, and the relationship between Sofia and Burrada, shows one of the possible ways forward for John. Sofia represents the most of what he could be: she had to give up her loved one, and while she has achieved power and created a valuable pseudo-family around her, Burrada can take that away just because he feels like it. She was power within the system, but the High Table is still an omnipresent threat. The location also makes a nice parallel with the movie Casablanca, with John traveling the reverse path, away from sanctuary.

Also, flipping through IMDB, the actor who played The Elder is one of the guys who wrote La Haine. So that's cool.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

So does Boban steal the whole film, or does he generously allow other actors to have moments in the sun?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

So does Boban steal the whole film, or does he generously allow other actors to have moments in the sun?

Boban is conspicuously good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

504 posted:

Yeah it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I bought tickets to Friday showing of Wick, i then said duck it and bought Thursday showing and ON THE DAY OF they have it in the big XD theater but they didn’t have this option yesterday.

So of course I bought that ticket for today.

I have 3 tickets to John Wick and will probably end up seeing one of them...not sure I should ask for refund