Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

American comics peaked in the 50s with the EC crime/horror comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phuo: This thread needs the pyf cat back and I nominate you, not bc of your posting being deserving of it more than anyone else’s, but you had it before that avatar and that avatar is annoying as all hell

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Agreed, but only if “personal trainer” and “terrorist” get the same jurisprudence

Both are true believers who are unjustly looked down upon by people who lack any convictions :hmmyes:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

veni veni veni posted:

it's loving garbage that there are like 50 Marvel movies and Dredd, the one great comic book movie bombs and never gets a sequel.

I feel if production on Dredd had happened three-four years later, we'd've had an awesome premium anthology series on a streaming service rather than a single movie. The comic would be prime for that, but the whole premium series thing wasn't happening then.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'd be down with a sequel if they put Rob Schneider in it to tie it together with the better one.

I pray that the corpse of Carlos Ezquerra rises from the grave to take unholy vengeance upon you.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Phuo: This thread needs the pyf cat back and I nominate you, not bc of your posting being deserving of it more than anyone else’s, but you had it before that avatar and that avatar is annoying as all hell

Yeah, I don't like this one. There's no joke or related post I made that would give context as to why this is my avatar, but the cat one was clear and simple.

MizPiz posted:

Both are true believers who are unjustly looked down upon by people who lack any convictions :hmmyes:

all i'm seeing in this post is "im 13 years old"

Tubgoat posted:

Because it benefits both the rulers and the polity? :shrug:
On paper. Definitely benefits the polity.

a concept like "government opens free gyms across the US" is something that would not last. why yes, they would be a good thing for everyone, but nobody's going to want their tax dollars going to that, people would rebel, and the idea would be swept under the rug. (coverage would probably read something like "local fatties dont wanna work out wow what a shock")

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a bunch of free public gym equipment here in San Francisco around parks and nobody uses them. I think it's because public gyms are filthy and disgusting and you'll probably get hepatitis from using them.

yeah that too, horrible sanitary conditions

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 06:57 on May 25, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a bunch of free public gym equipment here in San Francisco around parks and nobody uses them. I think it's because public gyms are filthy and disgusting and you'll probably get hepatitis from using them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The free version of a gym is going outside.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Elissimpark posted:

I feel if production on Dredd had happened three-four years later, we'd've had an awesome premium anthology series on a streaming service rather than a single movie. The comic would be prime for that, but the whole premium series thing wasn't happening then.

The reason Dredd was good is that it effectively isn't a comic book movie, it's an action movie, and if it got the treatment you talk about, that wouldn't be the case.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

steinrokkan posted:

The reason Dredd was good is that it effectively isn't a comic book movie, it's an action movie, and if it got the treatment you talk about, that wouldn't be the case.

You can have action and you can do it in an over the top way, like the comics. I felt they were a bit conservative with the satire part of the comic, maybe because they didn't feel it would gel, but Fury Road did action and went over-the-top quite successfully.

I liked Dredd, but a series would translate the comics much better.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it's because public gyms are filthy and disgusting and you'll probably get hepatitis from using them.
Fair enough.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's because gross poors would go there. But I think a free government gym is a great idea so they go there instead of wherever I am.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like to do pull-ups at this playground near me but I always feel too awkward to do it while children are around. Get out of my playground, children!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Will Smith is a really good rapper.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shibawanko posted:

Will Smith is a really good rapper.

I think it would have been good if his thing with giving movies theme songs sung by the lead actor had caught on.

Say what you will about the movie wild wild west (unless you want to say "it is bad"), but the song and music video owns.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think it would have been good if his thing with giving movies theme songs sung by the lead actor had caught on.

Say what you will about the movie wild wild west (unless you want to say "it is bad"), but the song and music video owns.

The Independence Day theme sung by Jeff Goldblum

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sorry but I can't think about Wild Wild West without thinking about Patton Oswalt talking about his MTV experience with the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bulqpcDBYrs

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

The Independence Day theme sung by Jeff Goldblum

Jeff Goldblum scatting orchestrally should be the theme song for every movie, everywhrre, everywhen.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Aramek posted:

It's because gross poors would go there. But I think a free government gym is a great idea so they go there instead of wherever I am.

Hey now. I remember getting swole with maxed-out stamina at the free gym on the beach before you could even enter the gym in Los Santos in GTA: San Andreas.

Free gyms work.

CONTENT: I’m Gonna Git You Sucka is a better Blaxploitation parody than Black Dynamite.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's not sad when someone dies trying to climb Everest.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm serious, if some hedge fund manager wants to spend a hundred thousand dollars getting led up a mountain by the hand by sherpas solely for the benefit of having done something that sounds impressive, and then they fuckin die when they get into "The Death Zone", so named because it's the part of the mountain where you can just fuckin die, that's not sad. It's funny and good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

What if a Sherpa dies?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Everest threads were weird as poo poo, partially bc of the death fetishism but more so how they became their own weird rear end culture of shut in goon mountaineering experts who had never climbed a mountain, and also the weird rear end way they treated sherpa people as some kind of mountain spirit rather than, you know, actual people

I have climbed several non-Everest mountains so I am qualified to judge this

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Congrats on your mountaineering expertise, but
PHUO: Sherpas basically are mortal mountain spirits, for our intents and purposes.

PHUO: This plastic metal glass tile I'm typing on is basically sorcery, and it's, no joke, powered by the incinerated remains of plants and animals that lived hundreds of millions of years ago, which are building up at such an rapid clip that it's in an 8,000-way tie to be the thing that snuffs out all or close-to life on this planet.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why don't we just blow up Mount Everest?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Collapsing Farts posted:

It was here first, we oughtta blow up the aristocrats instead.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Collapsing Farts posted:

Because it keeps killing rich assholes

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Gripweed posted:

I'm serious, if some hedge fund manager wants to spend a hundred thousand dollars getting led up a mountain by the hand by sherpas solely for the benefit of having done something that sounds impressive, and then they fuckin die when they get into "The Death Zone", so named because it's the part of the mountain where you can just fuckin die, that's not sad. It's funny and good.

i gotta say that even when people with too much money die doing stupid things i can't help but feel bad because you'd have to be an immature goddamn moron to buy into things like "i can climb the tallest thing!" no it doesn't make you cool or rad and it's only a cool story to other stupid people and they only think its cool because they never learned how to embrace life in any meaningful way and they'll probably die rich and vapid and completely ignorant of the unique experience of life.

there was that billionaire diamond guy who died while trying to make his dick bigger. like, you're too old to get much use out of giving women a thousand orgasms or whatever it is you think you'll be able to do. no one wants to gently caress you unless you pay them too, and they aren't going to give a poo poo about your tragic baby dick. people tell you that these things are what you should do with your life and your self esteem is too low to object.

probably because of your tragic loser dong

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

still though when you reap a shallow life dedicated to making other people miserable for your own material gain you sow a shallow existence where the mountain feeds on your bones and your soul you loving wretch lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tubgoat posted:

Now this I can get behind

But another weird thing about those threads is how they fixated on every dead person being a literal cackling Koch brother. Like the famous Green Boots was some border guard sent on an international dickwaving climb by India. He didn’t die up there because he wanted to brag to his friends at the country club.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My Phuo is/was that the worst part of the everest thread is people arguing about what's the worst part of it.

I think the dead on everest do deserve to be mocked, but not because they're rich. It's more that they're dying for something that is nothing but a more dangerous than usual tourist trap. Everest is played out. If you're going to risk dying on a mountain, go for one where the biggest danger isn't other people blocking the way.

If/when we settle the moon and they start having commercial trips to it it will be the same thing. Yeah it would have been impressive if you did it 50 years ago, but when you're just taking part in a polished consumer product where everyone else does the real work, it's not impressive.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Now this I can get behind

But another weird thing about those threads is how they fixated on every dead person being a literal cackling Koch brother. Like the famous Green Boots was some border guard sent on an international dickwaving climb by India. He didn’t die up there because he wanted to brag to his friends at the country club.

And now he's famous. I think it's really weird that a ton of the dead bodies are just arms length away from the trails, but there's no getting them down or helping them because it would mean killing a bunch more people.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There used to be some merit to saying "I got to the peak of Mount Everest!" but it's been so done-to-death (literally) by everyone at this point that its more of an "I don't want to live any more" activity. Sure you can do your damndest to get to the top but you know you're there just to die.

The new Mount Everest is, I dunno, base jumping? Going to that one island full of uncivilized people who will loving destroy you if you come near their island? People will keep finding new ways to go out, strange or stupid.

Tubgoat posted:

MizPiz posted:

Because it keeps killing rich assholes

WE
LIVE
IN
A
SOCIETY

get new material, you two

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

PHUO:
Climbing Mount Everest is a cool feat, because I'm a goon who can barely make it up the stairs without becoming exhausted.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know I've said this before, but BAN SELF DRIVING CARS

https://twitter.com/ctmccahill/status/1133402725419507712

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Ban all cars IMO. Take the train, or better yet live within walking distance of your "stuff".

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel that watermelon is not better with salt. It is best in its purest state.

Gripweed posted:

I know I've said this before, but BAN SELF DRIVING CARS

https://twitter.com/ctmccahill/status/1133402725419507712

who's gonna buy such expensive cars just to take up space and bully out like $3-7 from each individual person? The most expensive I've seen a parking space go is like $7 on the weekends, but even that would take quite a bit of time to pay off even one of these self driving cars.

in short: a no-name nobody reported some nonsense to npr without thinking about how loving stupid it is to say what he said.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

doverhog posted:

Ban all cars IMO. Take the train, or better yet live within walking distance of your "stuff".

Moving towards the elimination of widespread personal car ownership is absolutely necessary. But it's complex and will take a lot of work to do without unduly burdening people.

We could ban self driving cars tomorrow and we would only gain.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anybody who disagrees with my BAN ALL SELF DRIVING CARS plan, in a couple years when self driving cars that have been set to circle the block while the owner is in a store because they didn't want to find a parking space are a common annoyance, you will know that I was right

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

Moving towards the elimination of widespread personal car ownership is absolutely necessary. But it's complex and will take a lot of work to do without unduly burdening people.

ok but why though? Eliminating car polution, thats a solid cause to fight for, and self driving cars could even help reduce that. Just think about some uber-like program where one car can fit like five people, you could carpool like hell with those.

Gripweed posted:

Anybody who disagrees with my BAN ALL SELF DRIVING CARS plan, in a couple years when self driving cars that have been set to circle the block while the owner is in a store because they didn't want to find a parking space are a common annoyance, you will know that I was right

you dropped your tinfoil hat, sir

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 22:29 on May 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

spit on my clit posted:

ok but why though? Eliminating car polution, thats a solid reason to fight for, self driving cars could even help reduce that. Just think about some uber-like program where one car can fit like five people, you could carpool like hell with those.

Uber has increased car pollution, you dim bulb!

spit on my clit posted:

you dropped your tinfoil hat, sir

Why won't it happen? Seriously. If somebody has a self driving car, they just need to pop into a store real quick, there's no free parking spaces close by, why wouldn't they tell the car to circle the block? Who would stop them from doing that?