Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It was funny when he said encyclopedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
My favorite thing I've ever seen from Joss Whedon was the first Avengers movie, which was a more-or-less passable summer superhero movie.

Everything else has been basically trash. Cabin in the Woods sticks out in my mind as a movie that people were telling me was a genius deconstruction of the horror genre, and then it turned out to just be more overwritten Whedon crap.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

duck trucker posted:

How I Met Your Mother is an overall mediocre show being hoisted on the shoulders of Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segal.

Source: I've binged the whole series on Netflix. Twice.

Perfect summary and also my experience.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bogus Adventure posted:

I remember people telling me that the Buffy musical episode was incredible, and they convinced me to watch it during a Comicon viewing. I remember walking out wondering if I lived in a bizarro world where people liked things that were really terrible. These same friends recommended Firefly and Dr. Horrible, and I was foolish enough to try watching them as well.

I don't listen to their show recommendations anymore. loving hell, Whedon is garbage.

Even me, a person who has rewatched every Whedon show several times (including Dollhouse) can't stand the musical episode. I remember liking it the first time it aired, and every subsequent time it gets worse.

This also applies to the Angel puppet episode.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like the ideas of the Buffy Musical and Angel Puppet episodes, and I'm glad they were made, but I do not enjoy revisiting them personally.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I have not watched the Angel episode but I wouldn't be against some series getting a Muppet episode.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

My favorite thing I've ever seen from Joss Whedon was the first Avengers movie, which was a more-or-less passable summer superhero movie.

Everything else has been basically trash. Cabin in the Woods sticks out in my mind as a movie that people were telling me was a genius deconstruction of the horror genre, and then it turned out to just be more overwritten Whedon crap.

Extra annoying after I watched Resolution, which came out the same year and basically did what Cabin in the Woods wanted to do but better. At least they got to finally do a sequel.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Extra annoying after I watched Resolution, which came out the same year and basically did what Cabin in the Woods wanted to do but better. At least they got to finally do a sequel.

Yea. I mean I like Cabin in the Woods fine, but it definitely thinks it's more clever than it actually is. Resolution is definitely the lower budget more clever version.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods because it was a funny take on horror movies. I haven't seen Resolution, so I'll have to check that out.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I thought Cabin in the Woods was pretty good and had a clever ending... and then the movie kept going for another 30 minutes to run the whole thing into the ground.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

GoutPatrol posted:

Even me, a person who has rewatched every Whedon show several times (including Dollhouse) can't stand the musical episode. I remember liking it the first time it aired, and every subsequent time it gets worse.

I’m in the same situation - I always found the musical episode one gimmick too far (following Hush and The Body), and let down by the fact that only a few of the cast can actually sing so it turns into a painful listening experience filled with self aware jokes that really don’t work.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I liked the musical episode. :sweatdrop:

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

I think Radnor had some good moments even if he was probably the weakest member of the cast. Leaning into it and making Ted’s pretentious douchiness a deliberate part of his character helped too

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Making Ted a dick doesn’t work when it turns out Ted Was Right All Along.

He achieves all his career goals, gets to make babby with his manic pixie dream girl, and then she conveniently dies so his hot crush who has spent seasons trying to exert herself can finally realize that he’s all she ever wanted.

The one Ted bit that I liked was his weird obsession about wearing his red boots and trying to convince everyone he can pull them off.

And the couple times that they play with the fact that the whole show is all being told by future Ted to his kids. He forgets random girls names, whenever he talks about smoking weed it's replaced with eating sandwiches, stories get exaggerated to an unrealistic level. But those moments are too few.

But it's one of those shows that as you get older his "I wanna meet THE ONE!" mindset gets really stupid and annoying.

That said there are worse things you can watch, just know that the final episode shits over everything.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Bogus Adventure posted:

I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods because it was a funny take on horror movies. I haven't seen Resolution, so I'll have to check that out.

I thought Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was a way better way to make a funny take on horror movies, imo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Casey Finnigan posted:

I thought Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was a way better way to make a funny take on horror movies, imo.

I saw that as well, but didn't enjoy it as much. However, there were moments that I appreciated from Cabin in the Woods, like when Chris Hemsworth tells them to stick together and the puppetmasters spray a gas that makes him decide that they should really split up.

That got a lol from me. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

food court bailiff posted:

Not to defend the show but this is insanely stupid and wrong. Like, holy poo poo what a dumb take.

The Dollhouse staff were always portrayed sympathetically and the cop who was trying to bring them down eventually switched to their side. They then tried to pull the "upper management are evil but the people running the local branch are good people" thing. They may have been aiming for villains as protagonists, but if they were they failed. This isn't like people thinking Rorschach is the good guy in Watchmen, it's just a bad show.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Just because there were worse people in the show does not at all mean that the brainwashing sex slavers were sympathetic, come the gently caress on Tiggum.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Just because there were worse people in the show does not at all mean that the brainwashing sex slavers were sympathetic, come the gently caress on Tiggum.

Forget it, Bailiff. It's Tiggumtown.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
That show was incredibly hard to watch mostly because Eliza Dushku can't act for poo poo, so I actually couldn't tell what the gently caress was going on sometimes when she was supposed to be switching between personalities and other times she just made me cringe. The rest of the cast seemed very talented so it just sucks she was the main focus.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Casey Finnigan posted:

My favorite thing I've ever seen from Joss Whedon was the first Avengers movie,

https://twitter.com/LefterisPrime/status/1105545847624908801

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don’t like it but the tunes are catchy. And now stuck on my head. Thanks, assholes.

There's a bit in it to like, almost all of it from Ben Edlund whose work I cannot dislike.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Casey Finnigan posted:

Cabin in the Woods is one of my most hated films of all time for pretending it was clever when it was re-hashing other actual deconstructions, poorly. God it is loving bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dude, there was an entire episode about how their brainwashing technician was allowed to program a doll to be his perfect friend as a birthday present. The head of the house was secretly in love with one of the dolls. You were absolutely meant to sympathise with them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

That was the second one.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

He's convinced misogyny traces back to "womb envy", some antiquated second wave bullshit.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Resolution is one of the movies that made me swear off modern horror movies entirely. Every horror movie now is just an hour and a half of the same handful of indie actors being dicks to each other and then 15 minutes of them being killed by an unseen force.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I thought Cabin in the Woods was pretty good and had a clever ending... and then the movie kept going for another 30 minutes to run the whole thing into the ground.

Sigourney Weaver didn't show up til the end, so it had a pretty good reason to keep going.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Every person who waxes poetic about Joss Whedon's genius kind of stumbles when you bring up Alien Resurrection.

He did some good work on Roseanne (which has aged quite well) and I liked Cabin in the Woods, but for gently caress's sakes, Alien Resurrection is right loving there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Whedon acknowledges it sucks and blames everyone else.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

Every person who waxes poetic about Joss Whedon's genius kind of stumbles when you bring up Alien Resurrection.

He did some good work on Roseanne (which has aged quite well) and I liked Cabin in the Woods, but for gently caress's sakes, Alien Resurrection is right loving there.
Every person who waxes poetic about Joss Whedon's genius is a child or a moron, and they stumble if you bring up ideas like "it's bad to cheat on your wife" or "women are human beings with their own thoughts and feelings, not sex objects for foot fetishists to tie up in movies."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still find it kinda funny that just about everything about Black Widow could also apply to Solid Snake.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I feel like I'm crazy because I seem to be the only one who thinks he did a terrible job with the avengers. The movie ignores everyone's existing personality and replaces them with stock quirky Joss Whedon characters.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The main problem with Joss Whedon, (and this includes all his faux-feminist, "I write clever dialogue, my female characters are complex" wank), is that he is only OK.

Just OK. Buffy was a pleasantly fun series. Had a couple of non stereotypical queer characters, a female protagonist with agency and a character arc, a couple of cool ideas etc. But that is all it is. It is not anything to base your entire "I consume this media so I am this type of person" personality over. And it is certainly not flawless, and is as problematic as anything else of it's time. Perhaps even moreso, because it pretends so hard that it isn't.

Same with Firefly. Same things, it was fun, had some non stereotypical female characters, a couple of fun ideas, and cool episodes. But to cry so long and hard because it only got one series, and that it is a staggering work from a heart breaking genius is bullshit hyperbole and blindness to it's many flaws.

And this hyperbole/worship leads to self indulgence and wank of the level of Dr. Horrible. Which is twee, naval gazing, "aren't I clever and funny" bullshit.

I liked Cabin in the Woods though, for what it was it was a dumb horror movie with a twist. I agree it is never as clever as it thinks it is. (Unrelated to Joss Wheden, but speaking of movies that think they are cleverer than they are, Identity is a monster for this kind of poo poo). Also I never watched Dollhouse. Largely coz the pseudo-brothel full of womenmeat sacks that you can insert whatever personality you want into always creeped me out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rodbeard posted:

I feel like I'm crazy because I seem to be the only one who thinks he did a terrible job with the avengers. The movie ignores everyone's existing personality and replaces them with stock quirky Joss Whedon characters.
You're not crazy. Avengers mega-sucked and it especially did a poor job with Black Widow because Joss Whedon deeply hates women.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My wife will rewatch Buffy every couple years and it always throws me when they casually joke about her being raped by the entire swim team (who are turned into some kind of weird dolphin monsters)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

purple death ray posted:

My wife will rewatch Buffy every couple years and it always throws me when they casually joke about her being raped by the entire swim team (who are turned into some kind of weird dolphin monsters)

What?

I stopped when the local community college ended up being monster hunters and that was almost a decade ago now. But uh

:chloe:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did the Buffy movie come out before or after the show? I remember seeing that and thinking it sucked.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did the Buffy movie come out before or after the show? I remember seeing that and thinking it sucked.

About 5 years before.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

before, and starred a different actress as buffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Alaois posted:

before, and starred a different actress as buffy.

And an awesome Paul Ruben vampire that let him be in my favorite scene of all time in the What We Do In the Shadows TV Series... Check it!