Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The best thing about the merchant marine is that the tsar is generally quite far away, even if he does have email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

shovelbum posted:

The best thing about the merchant marine is that the tsar is generally quite far away, even if he does have email.

The tsar is getting closer day by day. I know a chief engineer who got a phone call from the office because the unloading gear was offline but the lights in the unloading tunnel were on.

Diesel is expensive you know.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

The tsar is getting closer day by day. I know a chief engineer who got a phone call from the office because the unloading gear was offline but the lights in the unloading tunnel were on.

Diesel is expensive you know.

We were working through signoffs for class or something and got an email from India asking us if we needed assistance when we did some engine-side stop/reverse operations.

Shovelbum should I take a Suez Express run as 1st or go be a manager at Uber?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nystral posted:

So assuming the nukes had to be brought back, who gets stuck with coordinating the logistics of securing the devices and bringing them back? Who has to foot the bill for the fuel and overtime for the crew manning the return trip? Is there even overtime for stuff like this? Time off in lieu of payment?

Wishful thinking by a civvie?

Completely wishful thinking, the people responsible for cleaning up the mess were the ones off-shift when it all happened because everyone who was working got hosed and rightfully so. No overtime or comp time. Comp time is what your boss might offer you if you come in on a holiday you were supposed to have off, if he's cool and and if he's REALLY cool you'll actually get it. Overtime does not exist.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

We were working through signoffs for class or something and got an email from India asking us if we needed assistance when we did some engine-side stop/reverse operations.

Shovelbum should I take a Suez Express run as 1st or go be a manager at Uber?

Is that like the MECL run? What class? It's hard to turn down the vacation. How are you remotely qualified to be a manager at a software company??

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The bigger companies have like forty different organizations in India and none of them know what the others are doing. The tsar has a badly split personality, and amnesia.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

Is that like the MECL run? What class? It's hard to turn down the vacation. How are you remotely qualified to be a manager at a software company??

Yeah that one. The Kensington I think.

What are you talking about of course I'm qualified! Also I graduate in 4 weeks if I can finish off my capstone and maybe write a neural network in R so I'll just toss a bunch of letters on my resume and pretend I know what I'm doing.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Yeah that one. The Kensington I think.

What are you talking about of course I'm qualified! Also I graduate in 4 weeks if I can finish off my capstone and maybe write a neural network in R so I'll just toss a bunch of letters on my resume and pretend I know what I'm doing.

You could probably get select list or permanent first pretty quick they're always short, that run sucks and that class sucks (haven't sailed on em but I've night hawked and heard the stories) but the money is good. I'd say take a 12mo/yr shore job if it's tickling 300 but no lower if you're willing to sail top 4 on the MECL. I think that ones half decent.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

EBB posted:

Ask Mustang about all his comp time :laugh:

My new boss actually told me he owes me a day off....granted we had just worked through 3 weekends in the field so it's not a one for one comp day.

I worked for a different MAJ for a few months before him and he also gave me a day off of my choosing for being in the field.

All the previous ones though would just be like "Man you are doing some GREAT work for the unit!....and we want you to do some more work!"

If there's any organization that rewards good work with more work it's the military because the guys who can't perform are hard to get rid of unless they do something illegal or unethical.

My current boss keeps thanking me for my "hard work" when honestly I think what I'm doing now is pretty easy. It's 1000x easier than being an S4. It's definitely the most stress free job ive ever had in the Army.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Welcome to Costco, I love you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mustang posted:

If there's any organization that rewards good work with more work it's the military because the guys who can't perform are hard to get rid of unless they do something illegal or unethical.

Well poo poo. I guess this is why I never get tasked with anything.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Icon Of Sin posted:

club that is its own brand of Lovecraftian and Kafka-esque terror made manifest

Yep, that sums it up nicely.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

shovelbum posted:

The bigger companies have like forty different organizations in India and none of them know what the others are doing. The tsar has a badly split personality, and amnesia.

Just gonna say hi as I worked in corporate for the terminals side of the company for a couple years and probably made your life really inconvenient someday, somewhere in the world. :angel:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Somebody thought that this would go well.

https://twitter.com/USArmy/status/1131704927963766785

(check the responses)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Somebody thought that this would go well.

https://twitter.com/USArmy/status/1131704927963766785

(check the responses)

:cripes:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Jesus.

It's going exactly as it loving should, but drat.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
SSG Social Media hits the post button, Army Strong starts to swell in his mind. He goes barely falls asleep, anticipating the great stories that would be shared by this nation's great people about his beloved Army.

Soulex, what happens, honestly, when the army makes a social media mistake like this? Is this poor misguided fucker going to be memory holed and removed from this kinda work?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My guess is they're promoted out of wherever they're at to somewhere that involves them now making life or death decisions for others.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've got 30 pages of screenshots for when they delete that but feel like it's not enough.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The military taught me about the food of the gods: Jambalaya MRE

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Now I'm curious, and at 400 pages this has probably been asked before but like hell am I going hunting for it:
What was the best, and the worst, MRE/meal in general you had while in the military?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I think through thick and thin and all the new ideas good old fashion chili Mac (with cheese pack) , beef stew or spaghetti with meat sauce were my faves. They weren't brilliant but about the equivalent as canned commercial stuff and actually reminded me of camping.

E. Omelette was the worst

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Tuna with noodles was ok as was omelet with ham. Chicken and rice, bbq pork and rice, spaghetti w sauce, meatballs with sauce, and beef stew were all good too.

Ham slice was like eating brine soaked leather. Chicken ala king looked like cat vomit. Escalloped potatoes with ham had a very weird texture.

Never had the corned beef hash or chicken stew.

(Yes I looked up the menu that was available when I was in)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
There's a buffalo chicken one that's just pieces of chicken and buffalo sauce. It isn't too bad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Now I'm curious, and at 400 pages this has probably been asked before but like hell am I going hunting for it:
What was the best, and the worst, MRE/meal in general you had while in the military?

Beef Stew is the best.

Frankenfurters was the worst. We called them the Four Fingers of Death.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

beef enchilada was my go-to

dump the hot sauce in and it was palatable

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I really liked the arctic MREs, but only if I could make them with the proper amount of boiling water. Otherwise you eng up with clam chowder or egg flavored astronaut food with is as horrible as you think it is.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The Omelette MRE was revolting, nothing else compared or was as inedible. The only thing that was similarly disgusting was the buffalo chicken, although it was somewhat edible.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is the idiot thread an appropriate place to post youtubers reviewing MREs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_sY-nJ179U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ciBudwIV0

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Frankenfurters was the worst. We called them the Four Fingers of Death.

Oh my god gently caress those things forever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

I really liked the arctic MREs, but only if I could make them with the proper amount of boiling water. Otherwise you eng up with clam chowder or egg flavored astronaut food with is as horrible as you think it is.

That's why I never really do freeze dried food. You either use too little water and it's got powder in it or you use too much and your scrambled eggs are now a soup.

I did have a 2008 omelette when it was about 9 years old. I honestly thought it tasted fine, but the rubbery texture was disturbing.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Vengarr posted:

Only if you post when they eat truly horrendous stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96m5lB8nzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_BHjLS12Qg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qss-8kSbZpM

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vengarr posted:

There's something weirdly hypnotic and fascinating about Steve's videos. He's like the Bob Ross of MREs.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If you pay for and willingly eat MREs there is something very wrong with you.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

EBB posted:

If you pay for and willingly eat MREs there is something very wrong with you.

I will not have you besmirch Steve

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Love the Cheese Spread video where he has something resembling an existential crisis

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ahh, China. They literally never get it right. Here's mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSyzEeXjF4

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I feel like the Spanish rice isn’t getting the hate it deserves. I could manage to get the veggie omelette and breakfast sausage down but I just couldn’t do more than a couple spoonfuls of the Spanish rice.

The entrees in the halal MREs were pretty good but there just seemed to be way less sides and snacks in them and what was in there kind of sucked. Like I remember one snack was a small portion of some not really good trail mix and I’m not even sure if the other one I had had a snack at all.

I was given the box was a reward for “helping” some special forces PA to provide medical support for a multinational African military parade. If you guys want I can upload some pictures but I don’t think I got one of when some guy from some random African country as part of the parade swung around a rusty sword while dragging the German flag through the dirt.

Afterwords the PA had to be somewhere else so instead of dropping us back off on base he just dropped me and a 5’4 female filipino nurse unarmed down the road from the base in full uniform to walk back without telling anyone we were out there. Got a lot of weird looks from the locals and the French gate guards lost their poo poo laughing at us as we just casually stroll up to the gate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've still never found an American MRE I just couldn't eat. They're different quality, but all of them are at least edible. After all the different international rations I've tried I can safely say that MREs are up at the top.

Eastern Europe is the absolute worst. Russia has improved but Kazakhstan and Ukraine are still based on old Soviet rations and it's horrible. Just cans of meat (or the cheapest leftover bits of a carcass that can legally be called "meat") packed in so much fat that even the best of them will coat your mouth in grease when you eat them. Few of the sides are any good and the crackers are often stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I really honestly enjoyed every CAF IMP I had. Maybe if I were subsisting off them long term, my feelings would be different, but also I came into the military from poverty so getting cold pesto chicken with stewed peaches and a chocolate bar, or even beans and franks with a side of apple sauce and powdered coffee, holy poo poo that was a big step up from what I was eating before.

Boxed lunches are crap, though. Ham sandwiches so heavily preserved they double as a radiation shield with a shotglass of apple juice and a tsp of mayo in a packet on the side? Yay, sure am glad they remembered to feed me, at least.