Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Luchovsky, Oleg, Luchovsky and Zakarov Shipwrights present a bold new idea for the future of Naval Warfare.

We bring you:

Speed! Choose your engagements, use speed to herd your enemies away from supporting craft. Advance quickly in the opposite direction, or direction of the enemy!

All forward Main Battery; 2x12" in a forward turret.

Large Secondary Battery; 12x6" guns PER SIDE.

Bristling with Torpedoes; Literally as many as we could fit until someone thinks of some absurd manner in which we could put them on the decks. Perfect for pouncing on a disabled ship!

Full Deck Protection; 2" of Deck and Deck Extended offers complete protection from splinters damaging flotation or vital equipment.

Fully effective armor for current and near future threats.

*Some* people, who lack the proper vision may say:

That it's short range means it will be unable to move across the world to defend our backwater colonial possessions in Northeast Asia in the event of war with (the backwards and inferior power) of Japan; and that it's cramped accommodations will prevent it's use outside our home ports.

To this we say:

Our primary enemies are here in Europe, and the capabilities this vessel brings to the table will ensure peace in our time.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I love how terrible all of this is

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Infidelicious posted:

Luchovsky, Oleg, Luchovsky and Zakarov Shipwrights present a bold new idea for the future of Naval Warfare.

We bring you:

Speed! Choose your engagements, use speed to herd your enemies away from supporting craft. Advance quickly in the opposite direction, or direction of the enemy!

All forward Main Battery; 2x12" in a forward turret.

Large Secondary Battery; 12x6" guns PER SIDE.

Bristling with Torpedoes; Literally as many as we could fit until someone thinks of some absurd manner in which we could put them on the decks. Perfect for pouncing on a disabled ship!

Full Deck Protection; 2" of Deck and Deck Extended offers complete protection from splinters damaging flotation or vital equipment.

Fully effective armor for current and near future threats.

Now that's a design!

Tell me, could you make it entirely circular?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, these things are not about competent ship design, their about sending me into battle with a fleet of clown cars.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
reminds me of the actual discussions (mostly in the French navy) about designing warships.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That superstructure design! What is this, Space Battleship Blyat?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Volmarias posted:

I love how terrible all of this is

Welcome to the beautiful multicar pileup of goons, early 20th century ironclads, slav shitposting and grog games.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Now that's a design!

Tell me, could you make it entirely circular?

Engineers have stated that with current technology a completely circular hull form would be incapable of reaching these blistering speeds.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

(Prince Valeryan Igorovich Urodlivyy, at a historical ball in St. Petersburg, circa 1899)

From the desk of the Prince Urodlivyy posted:

My dearest cousin Alexandrovich, we among the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы salon have come to a consensus on what is most needed to show that Russia can indeed be the greatest of all powers on both land and sea. Please behold, the Ekaterina Veliskaya, submitted with the able drafting assistance of the Saint Petersburg firm В.А.А.А.Г.Х.

She makes a full 20 knots, two faster than the Japanese Asahi and French Marengo classes, while significantly outgunning both with comparable main batteries and superior secondary and tertiary batteries without sacrificing much by way of armor. Indeed, this big Kat is a match for the new Repulse class coming out of British yards. Moreover, it has the endurance and accommodation necessary to assist in all fronts no matter where in the world we might need to go. With it, we will stake our claim to our rightful place as masters of the world, under your brilliant and ever just guidance.

Your ever loyal cousin,
Valeroshka

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 25, 2019

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Silence please!

I am delighted to announce that Count Dogsarentdangerouski has been released from the Institution with a certificate of complete mental health signed by all of the nations top doctors qualified to do so! The Count has announced his intention to take up a new hobby, more acceptable to the public sphere - namely - Warship design!

Accordingly please see below "Proposal A". This bold vision of the future will allow the Tsar to project power effortlessly across the world. Their will be no corner of the globe in which the enemies of Russia can hide from this state of the art steel behemoth. The last word in warship design and the first step to global empire.

Traditionalists may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like!

dogsarentdangerous fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 25, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Projeckt 41501 has a Gunscore of 168. The Vodka class has a Gunscore of 152. As such I support the adoption of Projekt 41501.

It's unfortunately not a novel design, though, since it's based off a prior class.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Gunscores:
Blyat - 216
Ekaterina Velikaya - 202
Catharine the Great - 180
Vladivostok - 170
Funnelship - 168
Proyekt 41501 - 168 (BUT DERIVATIVE, THE KNAVE!)
Vodka - 152

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 25, 2019

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Your picture isn't showing, but here it is.

Thanks. As a Grog gamer I am confused by the internet.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

No worries! I edited my post, too, for the important purpose of comparing GUNZ.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Hedlund & Son Fine Ship Models and Naval Architecture Co. is world famous for their high-quality model fighting ships. Their exacting attention to detail has not only made their models a hit among Europe's stay-at-home sons and divorced fathers, but has also given them an unmatched knowledge of modern warship design. Barred access to design contests in other countries due to technicalities (such as an utter lack of formal education and no experience in building real ships), they have been allowed entry due to the personal recommendation of Grand Duke George Alexandrovich.

Hedlund & Son are pleased to present the Model 1901.

She bristles with four 12-inch guns and eighteen 7-inchers -- when she is completed she will be the most heavily armed Russian battleship in the world. Her armor is sufficient to grant her immunity to her own guns from less than 5000 yards, assuming nothing shoots her in her secondaries or extended belt.

We have had to make some minor compromises to deliver such a well-armed and armored fighting ship. First, she makes a middling 19 knots, but this is hardly an issue as this is the speed of the battle line as a whole. Second, she has no tertiary guns. It is assumed that a single hit by just one of her secondary guns should be sufficient to knock out any marauding torpedo boat. Last, you may note that she has no torpedoes. Hedlund Sr. could not in good conscious befoul the future flagship of the Russian navy with those underhanded British inventions.

When you look at the Model 1901, you look at the future. We have eliminated superfluous elements, such as lifeboats and rails, making assembly construction considerably simpler. Her handsome looks and modern design would make her the centerpiece of any battle line or mantle she graces.

sum fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 25, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

Suck it up Britain. This is the new Dreadnought class that will revolutionise battleship design.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Дисконтные ловушки Ивана is an new firm with a simple philosophy. It doesn't matter how fancy your ship is - it is how many you have.

Our Michael Alexandrovich design exemplifies this philosophy.

With primary armor that is immune to our largest shipboard cannon, the design is as robust as you could want. Sure, the guns aren't as big as some of the other submissions, but there's four torpedo tubes - which are more important anyway. Sure, you can't sail one very far - but why would we do that? Madness, I say. Not enough secondary guns? It is enough to keep the little fish away, and that's what matters.

All you need to look at is the price tag! Just look at that beautiful low price - you could build three to two compared to any competing design! For some designs, you can easily manage 2:1, and you wind up with more guns that way!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, these things are not about competent ship design, their about sending me into battle with a fleet of clown cars.

Look at it this way. You can get them sunk and get new designs!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I didn't realize until I saw these submissions that the game would actually allow you to build overweight ships.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It is limited, but you can sometimes go a few tons over.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can definitely build overweight ships to a certain extent. They're less stable and prone to having problems in heavy seas, of course.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Okay! Time to vote for your favorite submission! could the submitter link their design files, just so I don't have to rebuild and make a terrible mistake.

Blyat
Catharine the Great
Ekaterina Velikaya
Funnelship
H&S Battleship 1901
Proyekt
Vladivostok
Vodka

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I support the Blyat class. It has many many guns and the speed to bring them swiftly to the enemy, these are things I approve of.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I like big guns, but I also don't like spending a lot of money this early. That's why my vote goes to the cheapest ship with 12 inch guns which - if I did not make a mistake looking over all of the proposals - is the Catharine the Great.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grey Hunter posted:

Okay! Time to vote for your favorite submission! could the submitter link their design files, just so I don't have to rebuild and make a terrible mistake.

Blyat
Catharine the Great
Ekaterina Velikaya
Funnelship
H&S Battleship 1901
Proyekt
Vladivostok
Vodka
I mean, your first terrible mistake was letting Goons design your ships.

Vote for Vodka (no Strawpoll?)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 26, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Vladivostok file is here: https://ufile.io/hjr5wtuq

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Great Cathy is here- https://www.mediafire.com/file/txq6rgf3thri7me/CtGBB.rar/file

Never played with the profile image generator, but have attempt #1

And since I can't/won't vote for my own- Vodka. Turns out the 'B' stands for 'budget'. Also 'boondoggle'.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Feeling similarly bound not to vote for myself, I vote for the Blyat

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Here's the Vodka

My quick assessment of the submissions, as a relatively new player:

This early in the game, armor is at an advantage over guns. Every ship submitted has armor that should be proof against current naval guns, so heavier armor mostly serves as future proofing. Torpedoes are also atrociously bad right now, but unlike guns ships can upgrade torpedoes as tech improves so they're more of a threat.

Blyat: Extremely, expensively fast for a battleship with current technology, and would have to slow down to launch torpedoes. It has fewer main guns but more anti-destroyer secondaries, but with torpedoes being such a threat that's not unreasonable. Reduced range and accommodations means it will be pretty much confined to our home region.

Catherine the Great: Similar but slightly lighter armaments to the Blyat, while smaller, slower and cheaper, and with better range.

Ekaterina Velikaya: Big, heavy armor, and lots of big guns. Will be a great design against light and not particularly well armored heavy cruisers, will get torpedoed hilariously by destroyers if not heavily screened.

Funnelship: Big and with lots of anti-destroyer guns, which might save it from getting torpedoed. Has long range which is nice I guess but a battleship is a bit big for commerce raiding.

H&S Battleship: Similar to the Ekaterina but no anti-destroyer weapons at all. Hilariously vulnerable to torpedoes.

Proyekt: Very heavily armored, which could give it a degree of future proofing as guns get better. Reasonably balanced weapons loadout.

Vladivostok: Another cramped accommodation ship, which will mostly limit it to defending the homeland. Secondary guns are also a bit heavier, focusing more on cruisers than destroyers.

Vodka: This was a joke, please don't vote for it.

Michael Alexandrovich: Not in the list, did it get disqualified? Very small, lightly armed and armored (though still enough armor to block current guns), short range and cramped accomodations. Extremely cheap, which will make it less of a loss when it (like all battleships) inevitably gets torpedoed.

I'm not a fan of short range battleships, so I'm going to vote for the Catherine the Great as a well rounded battleship that's also the cheapest option with good range that isn't the Vodka.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Catherine the Great

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Here's the H&S 1901. In the spirit of not voting for my own design, I vote for the Vladivostok.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I vote Blyat

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Proyekt 41501 data

Since people aren't voting for their own submissions, I'll follow suit and vote for Catherine the Great.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Catherine the Great

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Suck it up Britain. This is the new Dreadnought class that will revolutionise battleship design.

Blyat!

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Voting Blyat

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Pirate Radar posted:

You can definitely build overweight ships to a certain extent. They're less stable and prone to having problems in heavy seas, of course.

They also sink from fewer hits -- the flotation damage bar is shorter.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
1 vote for the Blyat

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I vote for Ekaterina Velikaya because I believe it will let us wave harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

The Lone Badger posted:

Projeckt 41501 has a Gunscore of 168. The Vodka class has a Gunscore of 152. As such I support the adoption of Projekt 41501.

One thing about RtW 2 is that all ship designs have to go through a design study. This takes several montgs and costs several million rubles. We're talking a destroyers' worth of money here or more. Only then can the ship be laid down and built.

But...designs bases on pre-existing designs have shorter and cheaper design study cycles. If we go with the Proyect 41501 classb we'll save money we can use later ... when we have actually useful tech.

Proyect