Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

536 posted:

If things were really this bad, wouldnt we have seen giant marches of anti-maduro people, crowding the streets? Seems like a pretty loving big deal when you can't even get enough food to eat. Thats like the first step of a civilized country is enough food to go around.

Is there a word for well off people pulling this "If things are so bad, why aren't people trying to change it?" horseshit? I used to just see it from the antiimmigrant fuckers in regards to Syria, but I'm not surprised to see it getting rehashed into Maduro apologia, either.

Seriously, please continue to lecture people in a different loving hemisphere about how they should be reacting to their living situation, I'm sure they're desperate for your expertise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

536 posted:

If things were really this bad, wouldnt we have seen giant marches of anti-maduro people, crowding the streets? Seems like a pretty loving big deal when you can't even get enough food to eat. Thats like the first step of a civilized country is enough food to go around.

Yea for real why don't they move??

Jesus christ

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

The obese are quite literal the opposite of being malnourished as is the overweight. Nearly 2/3 of the Americans fall into those categories.

To attempt to say the fat of the rich world are just the same as the starving of the colonized world, that is quite of a take, as they say.

if you thought about this for like, one second, you'd know obesity and malnourishment (and associated conditions like diabetes) are very commonly linked in poor households in both the United States and other countries (so commonly that there's a specific term to describe the phenomenon)

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 25, 2019

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I didn't see any sources cited in that link posted earlier about weight loss or whatever. So I decided to go looking. I can't claim what I found is more reliable of a source, but can't say it is worse either.

A random bakery in a smaller town:
*google reviews*

Your evidence that there is or isn't a food crisis in a country is that there is google reviews of restaurants from last month?

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

eke out posted:

if you thought about this for like, one second, you'd know obesity and malnourishment (and associated conditions like diabetes) are very commonly linked in poor households in both the United States and other countries (so commonly that there's a specific term to describe the phenomenon)

One does not receive diabetes from "not enough" nourishment my friend. It is excessive odd to characterize eating more than enough of everything as equal to eating not enough of anything.

More specific tho, the page addresses a problem primarily found in colonized nations with especial focus on the islands of the Pacific. You have not provided evidence that one can lay most of the fatness in America, Europe, etc rich nations on the feet of lacking nutrients.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Human Rights Watch is a regime change outlet funded entirely by western billionaires. Their posted IRS 990s all skip through Schedule B - Schedule of Contributors despite being an organization required to complete one, I wonder why 🤔🤔🤔

They don’t post their 990 schedule Bs because they aren’t required to, not because they don’t file them. proPublica’s nonprofit explorer, for example, shows that they do file 990Bs; but, like EVERY OTHER ORGANIZATION, the released 990B just shows Restricted/Restricted because the IRS redacts all contributor information, including number of contributors and amounts.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kalman posted:

like EVERY OTHER ORGANIZATION, the released 990B just shows Restricted/Restricted because the IRS redacts all contributor information, including number of contributors and amounts.

Not true, many liberal astroturf groups like the Allied Media Projects post an unredacted 990B.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Not true, many liberal astroturf groups like the Allied Media Projects post an unredacted 990B.

You said they don’t file one at all, not that they don’t post an unredacted one. You use that to imply that they’re hiding something, when most 501s-ranging from MSF to EFF-don’t post unredacted 990Bs.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

One does not receive diabetes from "not enough" nourishment my friend. It is excessive odd to characterize eating more than enough of everything as equal to eating not enough of anything.

More specific tho, the page addresses a problem primarily found in colonized nations with especial focus on the islands of the Pacific. You have not provided evidence that one can lay most of the fatness in America, Europe, etc rich nations on the feet of lacking nutrients.

How many obese people do you think just eat too much of a healthy balanced diet? Ridiculous.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Noted tankies the American Federation of Teachers has come out against intervention in Venezuela

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How many obese people do you think just eat too much of a healthy balanced diet? Ridiculous.

You seem to be under grave misunderstanding that a diet need be "balanced" for you to not have deficiency. Most fat people get more than enough of all edible nutrients, and have continued eating beyond that. When you are in modern rich developed country, it is largely trivial that you receive all neccesary nutrients, the standard foods available even the very cheap are loaded up with what is neccesary.

Note that Venezuelans are not able to do this, leading to mass refugee situations and massive weight losses.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

536 posted:

Your evidence that there is or isn't a food crisis in a country is that there is google reviews of restaurants from last month?

Nah, man. I did claim there wasn't a food crisis. If we cast a broader net, we quickly find information contradicting claims of how bad things actually are. If this restaurant is still operating, serving steak and chicken tendies as of four days ago, perhaps the food scarcity is localized and/or intermittent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Kinda surprising to see people attending guaifo and maduro events then.

E: especially the marches in the street

How did the Jews in Warsaw get the energy to stage an uprising after 5+ years of supposed genocidal suppression? As poster Corky Romanovsky points out, it makes no sense, and they were probably part of a conspiracy to besmudge the Teutonic race.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Data from the WHO, UNICEF, and FAO seem to indicate that Venezuela, while suffering from moderate levels of hunger, is not as high on the global hunger index as it was in 2000:

If liberals truly cared about hunger, they would ready sanctions and cruise missile strikes against India, a nation that contains a quarter of the world's malnourished children. They should also sanction and airstrike themselves because Afghanistan has a bigger issue with hunger than North Korea.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 26, 2019

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

536 posted:

Are you honestly telling me that in Venezuela poor people cant get food stamps like in the USA and can't go to a food bank if needed for help?

If people were really only able to buy 5 or 6 bags of beans and rice a month, people would be dropping weight like mad.

Depends, what exactly is a bag of rice? I can buy a 500g bag or a 20kg bag of rice. It's a bit of a meaningless measurement.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some fast fun facts about the GHI:

1. The GHI is not considered particularly sound due to its use of multiple aggregations and normalizatons to get its reference values (there are some problems with the data sourcing too, as some countries are able to gently caress with UN/WHO/World Bank reporting).
2. The GHI is explicitly not comparable year to year, either in terms of rankings or any of the constituent metrics.
3. The fun one: The GHI is not based on data from the report year. That data hasn't been collected yet, and such data is almost never available. For the calculation of the 2018 GHI scores, undernourishment data were from years ranging from 2012 to 2017, depending on the available info. I can't dig through the WHO data now, but I know that 2017 data isn't available for at least some of the aggregated metrics, something we've discussed in the thread before. For Venezuela, it appears the child stunting and wasting values are "author estimates", which means absolutely no data was available from the pooled period and the authors assumed a linear trend. The proportion undernourished value seems off, too- iirc we went into that when it was cited from WHO separately a couple months back.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 26, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

Some fast fun facts about the GHI:

1. The GHI is not considered particularly sound due to its use of multiple aggregations and normalizatons to get its reference values (there are some problems with the data sourcing too, as some countries are able to gently caress with UN/WHO/World Bank reporting).

Interesting "fact" here, especially given the weasel words and passive voice. Who doesn't consider it to be particularly sound?

Seems to me that your criticism is less nitpicking the methodology and more attacking a well known NGO because its conclusions about Venezuela don't match up with the regime change agenda of the United States.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 26, 2019

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Seems to me that your criticism are less nitpicking the methodology and more attacking a well known NGO because its conclusions about Venezuela don't match up with the regime change agenda of the United States.

Pot, kettle, etc etc

fnox
May 19, 2013

I return to this thread only to see it has devolved to people legitimately questioning if there are food shortages at all.

Venezuelans don't own the discourse, much like how they don't own anything else related to their country any more. We're a talking point for delusional tankies and war hawks, a chess piece in a new form of cold war. People will continue to suffer as the West focuses on all the wrong things, questioning even basic facts. There's no point in even trying to dispute anything because there's a shroud of misinformation and outright propaganda surrounding this topic, easily disproven by eyewitness accounts but, well, we've all seen how you guys treat us. Everyone's too busy signalling and posturing to act in any capacity. As people die, you whine.

Frankly, you assholes can keep it all. I can only hope any of you does something meaningful for a Venezuelan someday.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

fnox posted:

I return to this thread only to see it has devolved to people legitimately questioning if there are food shortages at all.

Venezuelans don't own the discourse, much like how they don't own anything else related to their country any more. We're a talking point for delusional tankies and war hawks, a chess piece in a new form of cold war. People will continue to suffer as the West focuses on all the wrong things, questioning even basic facts. There's no point in even trying to dispute anything because there's a shroud of misinformation and outright propaganda surrounding this topic, easily disproven by eyewitness accounts but, well, we've all seen how you guys treat us. Everyone's too busy signalling and posturing to act in any capacity. As people die, you whine.

Frankly, you assholes can keep it all. I can only hope any of you does something meaningful for a Venezuelan someday.

I'm sorry the extremely popular coup failed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

I'm sorry the extremely popular coup failed.

Read back through that guy's post history in this thread and realise what an incredibly gross thing that was to say.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Less flippantly, if your claims are true, then Maduro will be removed by the people if Venezuela, just like Perez was. If that's not happening, then we know why. Your crocodile tears would have more weight if your posting in this thread wasn't filled to the brim with contempt for chavistas, who if they are not the majority of Venezuelans now, were just a couple of years ago.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Read back through that guy's post history in this thread and realise what an incredibly gross thing that was to say.

Ok I started at the beginning of the thread and found a post where he said there was no racism in Venezuela, chavistas just claim there is to create divisions. Can I stop now?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Less flippantly, if your claims are true, then Maduro will be removed by the people if Venezuela, just like Perez was. If that's not happening, then we know why. Your crocodile tears would have more weight if your posting in this thread wasn't filled to the brim with contempt for chavistas, who if they are not the majority of Venezuelans now, were just a couple of years ago.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure you know more about Venezuela than an actual Venezuelan who lived in this poo poo for years, you condescending, racist prick.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

he's possibly the worst poster in the thread

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Ok I started at the beginning of the thread and found a post where he said there was no racism in Venezuela, chavistas just claim there is to create divisions. Can I stop now?

And you're pretending you're intimately familiar with the racial dynamics of Venezuela and how racism manifests there because...?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Yes, I'm absolutely sure you know more about Venezuela than an actual Venezuelan who lived in this poo poo for years, you condescending, racist prick.

There are a lot of Venezuelans who know more about America than American right wingers. He repeated the myth of Venezuela being a rich country in the 70s, in the forest page of his posting in this thread, so like, what do you want me to say.

Like I said, if he's right and Venezuela is in a state of collapse, their government is deeply unpopular, and there is no democratic recourse, Venezuela has implemented a solution to that state of affairs in living memory, without needing the us military.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

And you're pretending you're intimately familiar with the racial dynamics of Venezuela and how racism manifests there because...?

How could anyone know if a former settler state has racism without living there? It is a mystery.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

How could anyone know if a former settler state has racism without living there? It is a mystery.

no you see it's enough to be born in a country to be "intimately familiar" with the social and economic circumstances of every citizen of any class
which is why I get my views on america from alex jones and sarah palin, they're americans

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

There are a lot of Venezuelans who know more about America than American right wingers. He repeated the myth of Venezuela being a rich country in the 70s, in the forest page of his posting in this thread, so like, what do you want me to say.

Like I said, if he's right and Venezuela is in a state of collapse, their government is deeply unpopular, and there is no democratic recourse, Venezuela has implemented a solution to that state of affairs in living memory, without needing the us military.

Define 'solution'. I mean, they seem to have ended up in the exact same situation again, but worse.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Define 'solution'. I mean, they seem to have ended up in the exact same situation again, but worse.

Perez murdered thousands, dude. Not hypothetically, depending on who you believe about the efficacy of whatever policy, but actual murders with actual guns.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dirty lousy tramp posted:

no you see it's enough to be born in a country to be "intimately familiar" with the social and economic circumstances of every citizen of any class
which is why I get my views on america from alex jones and sarah palin, they're americans

OK, so which independent left-wing Venezuelan journalists have you been getting news from that might give you a better understanding of the country?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Perez murdered thousands, dude. Not hypothetically, depending on who you believe about the efficacy of whatever policy, but actual murders with actual guns.

And are you at all familiar with the current Venezuelan murder rate? Last I checked, it was 26,000 per year. I'm not sure outsourcing your murders to loyalist gangs is a huge step up from having your security forces do them themselves.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

OK, so which independent left-wing Venezuelan journalists have you been getting news from that might give you a better understanding of the country?

it's great how you're setting up this dumb loving dichotomy where you gotta get your info either from the guy who said pinochet was better than maduro but has the right amount of venezuelan genes or some fairytale venezuelan independent left journalist

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
It's very unpleasant to see people who will (rightly!) declaim the evils of colonialism immediately make a hard turn to "listen here, you little savages, let me tell you about what it's really like in your country."

It looks like talks in Norway are still planned but who knows if that will do anything. But hey, the Norwegians mediated a kinda-compromise in Colombia, so maybe something will come of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dirty lousy tramp posted:

it's great how you're setting up this dumb loving dichotomy where you gotta get your info either from the guy who said pinochet was better than maduro but has the right amount of venezuelan genes or some fairytale venezuelan independent left journalist

Cute way to admit you don't know poo poo about the country but are willing to scream at its residents anyway. Bet you have some real fun opinions on Syrian refugees.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

And are you at all familiar with the current Venezuelan murder rate? Last I checked, it was 26,000 per year. I'm not sure outsourcing your murders to loyalist gangs is a huge step up from having your security forces do them themselves.

Honduras' murder rate is about double Venezuela's, but maybe Maduro is responsible for that too?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Cute way to admit you don't know poo poo about the country but are willing to scream at its residents anyway. Bet you have some real fun opinions on Syrian refugees.

yeah, I'm also superhitler in disguise, you caught me! guess I can't escape your intrepid intellect, which isn't capable of basic reasoning like "maybe being born in a place doesn't endow one with automatic familiarity with all societal issues in that place".

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

You just had to claim that Maduro is secretly hiding state killings in the murder rate to cover for the fact that you knew absolutely nothing about Perez but said he was better than Maduro anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Timmy Age 6 posted:

It's very unpleasant to see people who will (rightly!) declaim the evils of colonialism immediately make a hard turn to "listen here, you little savages, let me tell you about what it's really like in your country."

This poo poo is like a Kelly cartoon

SNOOTY LEFTISTS: You SAVAGES aren't good enough to bomb!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)