Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the peasant republic of dithmarchen has been in for a while

the government is pretty meh but oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Surviving Mars is free on steam for the weekend.

It's uh... really bland?

I also think that the free version has no DLC, which is certainly not helping.

I wonder if maybe you were expecting something different. I mean I could see Surviving Mars being considered bland even in comparison to similar games but that's a lot more to do with it's theme than anything else. There isn't the immediate hook of playing with cars, trains, and ships so if you're not into the idea of "near" future mars colonization it's probably going to be a bit disappointing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Crazycryodude posted:

Marching an army on to ships parked in a sea zone takes longer than leaving port with them already attached, though. Unless I'm just imagining that, but I swear it's way faster to attach in port and just sail away than leave port and march everyone on.
It is indeed much faster.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Magissima posted:

There was a new CK2 dev diary today, I don't think they're quite done yet.

I can't wait to play as Nicephorus Phokas or John Tsmiskes.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jack2142 posted:

I've realised I can't read any of these names without hearing them in the voice of the History of Byzantium guy now.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Reveilled posted:

I've realised I can't read any of these names without hearing them in the voice of the History of Byzantium guy now.

aRRRRRRmeniakon.

Jack2142 posted:

I wonder how they'll handle the Byzantine Empire in 936, with Constantine VII being sidelined by Romanos Lekapenos who held actual power as senior emperor. He's one of my favourite historical figures so I'm very excited to see how Paradox handles it.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

dead gay comedy forums posted:

okay what the gently caress is EU4 having a Commune nation available

because that might be the only thing that would make me go back to that old saddle

Im trying believe me. Doing a map from scratch is hard. Especially on freetime with adhd, its a lot of repetitious work that the pdox map makers do, goddamn.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Playstation 4 posted:

Im trying believe me. Doing a map from scratch is hard. Especially on freetime with adhd, its a lot of repetitious work that the pdox map makers do, goddamn.

I have been working on a map for a CK2 TC for literally six years.

I would have been done last year but half way through I decided my province budget was just far too low and decided to redo it :shepicide:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I have been working on a map for a CK2 TC for literally six years.

I would have been done last year but half way through I decided my province budget was just far too low and decided to redo it :shepicide:

I think my province budget is good, its just the long arduous process of actually populating the thing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Playstation 4 posted:

I think my province budget is good, its just the long arduous process of actually populating the thing.

I reckon I'll write a program to do the populating, if I ever make it that far.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I reckon I'll write a program to do the populating, if I ever make it that far.
Holy poo poo this looks amazing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Holy poo poo this looks amazing.

Well, look forward to it some time in 2119 I guess.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is that an original world or from some fiction? I feel like I recognize the map but I can't put my finger on it

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

All original, but I may have posted it before.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Well, I'm gonna attempt futzing with the github code of the Scenario Editor, to see if i can hackily add back in a method of click adding things like cores and changing development. Hate Java, but I can bear with that :v: If I manage it, I'll make sure I get it working for CK2 stuff so we can both have an easier time of it.

E: Oh no, the smurf is revealed, ohhhh noo- Nah i never pretended PS4 wasn't me.

Incidentally, I dont quite know if the province addition is like EUIV's but, if it is and you're using GIMP as your editor, I can at least throw you my Autohotkey script. If you want it anyway, it's kinda hardcodey.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 23, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

Incidentally, I dont quite know if the province addition is like EUIV's but, if it is and you're using GIMP as your editor, I can at least throw you my Autohotkey script. If you want it anyway, it's kinda hardcodey.

Yeah, sure, wing it over

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Imperator appears to be a complete flop. It's gone from a peak of ~29,000 players to less than 2,000 in a month.

https://steamcharts.com/app/859580#All

Johan looks to be taking it badly and put up a push poll on his twitter.

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1132161374371700736?s=21

For context, HOI4 averages around 20,000 at peak times

https://steamcharts.com/app/394360

EUIV is about 15k at peak times

https://steamcharts.com/app/236850#7d

Stellaris is about 15k as well.

https://steamcharts.com/app/281990

And CK2 is about 10k.

https://steamcharts.com/app/203770

edit: bonus meltdown to reasonable reply

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1132168571856052224

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 25, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

axeil posted:

Imperator appears to be a complete flop. It's gone from a peak of ~29,000 players to less than 2,000 in a month.

https://steamcharts.com/app/859580#All

Johan looks to be taking it badly and put up a push poll on his twitter.

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1132161374371700736?s=21

For context, HOI4 averages around 20,000 at peak times

https://steamcharts.com/app/394360

EUIV is about 15k at peak times

https://steamcharts.com/app/236850#7d

Stellaris is about 15k as well.

https://steamcharts.com/app/281990

And CK2 is about 10k.

https://steamcharts.com/app/203770

edit: bonus meltdown to reasonable reply

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1132168571856052224

I'm curious what Stellaris and HOIV were like about a month after launch; those seem like the best data points to compare to.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm curious what Stellaris and HOIV were like about a month after launch; those seem like the best data points to compare to.

It's not good for Imperator.

https://steamcharts.com/cmp/859580,281990,394360#All

Even at their most unpopular after launch, HOI4 and Stellaris were still at about 10k players

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 25, 2019

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Imperator :: Victoria 3

Sengoku :: CK2

March of the Eagles :: EU4

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

axeil posted:

It's not good for Imperator.

https://steamcharts.com/cmp/859580,281990,394360#All

Even at their most unpopular after launch, HOI4 and Stellaris were still in the tens of thousands of players.

Woof

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
ancient history is a bust, more industrial revolution games and communist DLCs for hoi4

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victoria 3 when

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gort posted:

Victoria 3 when

I am holding out hope that it's the secret project Wiz has been assigned to after he pretty much single-handedly saved Stellaris.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The announcement of a hefty 1.1 patch right after release (which shows the game was not release ready, imo) stopped many people from playing, I'd wager.

Still, ouch... I want Imperator to be good, and I hope it will eventually be.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
were the other rome games popular? i've never really been interested in ancient history so imperator was never going to be for me

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

EU: Rome was never particularly popular and really needed mods to be worth the time, although it's important to keep in mind that EU:R is very much a pre-modern Paradox game so I'd hesitate to compare the two.

OTOH this is pretty obviously EU:R 2 so maybe it is.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Average Bear posted:

Imperator :: Victoria 3

please god no

my hands only have so many clicks left in them

Raskolnikov38 posted:

were the other rome games popular? i've never really been interested in ancient history so imperator was never going to be for me

EU:Rome had a very small but highly dedicated fanbase, despite being a tire fire. Rome TW was of course huge, and it's a pretty common period for games in general. Just a gut feeling but I'd say that for strategy games it's probably the second most popular historical setting after WWII?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TorakFade posted:

the game was not release ready

people seem to be very sick of this, and paradox's own success has made these early releases even more detrimental to a new game's success. why would i pay to play a beta when there are several other paradox games that are fully fleshed out from years of development and which i already own?

the game studio is as good as ever but the business side of paradox mostly seems interested in becoming a major publisher by emulating the major publishers' practices toward their studios

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Crazycryodude posted:

EU: Rome was never particularly popular and really needed mods to be worth the time, although it's important to keep in mind that EU:R is very much a pre-modern Paradox game so I'd hesitate to compare the two.

OTOH this is pretty obviously EU:R 2 so maybe it is.

Paradox themselves are the ones stating EU: Rome is the game to compare Imperator too; they say that Imperator should stand highly, because it is a better game compared to EU: Rome.

Jazerus posted:

people seem to be very sick of this, and paradox's own success has made these early releases even more detrimental to a new game's success. why would i pay to play a beta when there are several other paradox games that are fully fleshed out from years of development and which i already own?

the game studio is as good as ever but the business side of paradox mostly seems interested in becoming a major publisher by emulating the major publishers' practices toward their studios

Not hard to understand anymore; they went public, all about increasing stock value.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

HoI4 and Stellaris also had settings that had a naturally much larger target audience. Like even with EU being the company's flagship title, HoI has been outselling it since HoI2, if I'm not mistaken.

So it depends on how well Imperator sold at launch honestly.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Jazerus posted:

Tbf this was also Paradox's MO before CK2. That game and EU4 were pretty much exceptions when it came to stable releases.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I think a part of recent rocky releases might have been the debacle surrounding HoI4's multiple delays? So now when Paradox announces a release date management now ensures they stick to it even if the game really could use another few months in the oven. Although even if it's that it's just a symptom of needing to maximize shareholder value and have good-looking quarterly reports these days.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

TorakFade posted:

The announcement of a hefty 1.1 patch right after release (which shows the game was not release ready, imo) stopped many people from playing, I'd wager.

This is an odd take. A game which is so uncompelling that when people see a new patch they say "Well, okay, I didn't want to play this anyway" is.. not a game that will be fixed by that patch.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Why care about how many are actually playing when we all still bought the game hoping it will be good.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Beamed posted:

This is an odd take. A game which is so uncompelling that when people see a new patch they say "Well, okay, I didn't want to play this anyway" is.. not a game that will be fixed by that patch.

Yeah from what I can tell a simple point release patch isn't going to fix the problems people have with Imperator because the issue people have with Imperator is that they find the game mechanics themselves unfun and not worth engaging with.

The recent HOI4 and Stellaris DLC/patches were able to be fixed with point releases because the issue people had with them were bugs all over the place.

This is a much larger problem than some bugs, more akin to Stellaris 1.0 but more severe (as Stellaris 1.0 still had a good chunk of people playing it).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Beamed posted:

I mean Stellaris was that game and it apparently is fine

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm way more interested in how they're gonna help me avoid carpal tunnel than how many other people are getting it from this game

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TTBF posted:

I'm way more interested in how they're gonna help me avoid carpal tunnel than how many other people are getting it from this game

A few easy ones would be mass pop-conversion/assimilation on the province level, and pops in starving cities will automatically migrate.

e: EU4's army builder too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Stellaris was that game and it apparently is fine

No, Stellaris didn't die on release. It's had solid bumps in new/returning players with new patches, sure, but people haven't held off from playing it waiting for one to the magnitude Imperator's player base has.

Arrhythmia posted:

A few easy ones would be mass pop-conversion/assimilation on the province level, and pops in starving cities will automatically migrate.

e: EU4's army builder too

This along with MP chat will be coming in a new User Friendliness DLC.