Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The story chapter schedule is 100% just numbers thrown at a wall without any rhyme or reason

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

colonelwest posted:

Video games are escapism, ultimately empowering the player in some way that would be impossible in real life. Why would you want a video game that just recreates all of the stifling power structures and alienation that we already deal with in the real world?

This comment I agree with on so many levels. It's why I'm always confused by the endless wave of survival games that have multiple, asinine bars that you have to track in a game. Having to manage meals, water, and sleep while using some esoteric crafting system just drags down the game. I never understood the appeal, like I loved No Man's Sky style, sound, and look, but the survival bits and inventory management is so off putting. Must be a space sim thing.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

lol landclaims, I completly forgot about that :smugbert:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Isn't it a claim on a claim?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

This comment I agree with on so many levels. It's why I'm always confused by the endless wave of survival games that have multiple, asinine bars that you have to track in a game. Having to manage meals, water, and sleep while using some esoteric crafting system just drags down the game. I never understood the appeal, like I loved No Man's Sky style, sound, and look, but the survival bits and inventory management is so off putting. Must be a space sim thing.

Survival games are escapism even with the bars.
You would not usually be stranded somewhere and fighting for survival.

Claiming that survival games are no escapism is about as dumb as calling flight sims not escapism because you could just go out and fly a real fighter jet hurrr

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fandred losing faith, time to post on reddit :grin:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Can't believe I'm saying this but ol' Fannie actually made a good post. The real danger for Star Citizen - one that we've talked about a couple times - isn't that angry mobs will tear down the gates and whisk the devs off to the town square after enough delays, it's that people on both sides are already completely starting to lose interest. They blew their window so hard there's not gonna be anyone left to play their lovely game when it comes out lol.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Store Citizer: 2020 a goal we need to hit this time

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Can't believe I'm saying this but ol' Fannie actually made a good post. The real danger for Star Citizen - one that we've talked about a couple times - isn't that angry mobs will tear down the gates and whisk the devs off to the town square after enough delays, it's that people on both sides are already completely starting to lose interest.

I think Elite's in a similar boat right now, the previous ED leaks have all played out correctly so it looks like next major ED update will be space legs targeted at Dec 2020, it is a long way off.

Frontier's job is to keep people engaged/playing with minimal content updates till then, I spose at least ED is a fully playable game, rather than a promise of one.

Alledged Thargoid concept leak coming in 2020 (from a different source) :

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 25, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I was promised a Space Court in 2020, and I expect no more delays.

Any other SC, I couldn't care less.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Michaellaneous posted:

Survival games are escapism even with the bars.
You would not usually be stranded somewhere and fighting for survival.

Claiming that survival games are no escapism is about as dumb as calling flight sims not escapism because you could just go out and fly a real fighter jet hurrr

They're still trying to simulate real life mechanics, however absurdly executed, into a game. Oh better eat food, sleep, and drink water before I die. Your flight sims comparison is poorly used. Yes people don't have access to air planes in general, but making it so you have to run a virtual aircraft in the same manner as a real one is literally injecting realism into a medium that is generally used for escapism. This also goes for the truck and train simulators out there as well.

I apologize if it came off that I was being nasty about a genre you like.

Edit: cleaned up tone in my original post to not read condescending.

LostMy2010Accnt fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 25, 2019

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

reverend crabhands posted:

I think Elite's in a similar boat right now, the previous ED leaks have all played out correctly so it looks like next major ED update will be space legs targeted at Dec 2020, it is a long way off.

Frontier's job is to keep people engaged/playing with minimal content updates till then, I spose at least ED is a fully playable game, rather than a promise of one.

Can't believe they are archering Star Citizen gameplay for their concept art!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Golli posted:

Can't believe they are archering Star Citizen gameplay for their concept art!

They'll never be able to capture the stretched torturous looks of the characters in SC. ED Failures.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:ohdear:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Fandred losing faith, time to post on reddit :grin:

Beet Wagon posted:

Can't believe I'm saying this but ol' Fannie actually made a good post. The real danger for Star Citizen - one that we've talked about a couple times - isn't that angry mobs will tear down the gates and whisk the devs off to the town square after enough delays, it's that people on both sides are already completely starting to lose interest. They blew their window so hard there's not gonna be anyone left to play their lovely game when it comes out lol.

:tif:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

tooterfish posted:

Bold words from someone who dived into an iceberg and then dived to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. :colbert:

Bitch please. I'm down here trying to find all the micro plastics you guys are throwing away and keep your marine life safe.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I like it, it's really alien looking. I'm really sick of aliens that look like either humans with funny foreheads/a skin condition or furries.

As an example of the alien designs I'm sick of, let's look at Star Citizer: We've got the Vanduul (lizard men with daedric armor for skin), the Xi’an (Chinese turtle furries), Banu (funny foreheaded meat Groot) and the Tevarin (bird furries). Looking at the SC wiki there's apparently more, but those are the only ones that they've provided art for.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

CitizenPasta.txt

CrobearPark.txt

:laugh:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

FYI, this is the true legacy of Star Citizen. That realization that gamers are really loving bad with money and you can make a ton of it with a carrot on a string or even less than that.

It's that transition from microtranactions to macrotransactions. If you hated horse armor, it's going to get a lot worse.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

The Titanic posted:

FYI, this is the true legacy of Star Citizen. That realization that gamers are really loving bad with money and you can make a ton of it with a carrot on a string or even less than that.

It's that transition from microtranactions to macrotransactions. If you hated horse armor, it's going to get a lot worse.
Backers will be right. SC will revolutionize gaming. But in a completely undesirable way.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's fomo

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gort posted:

What's fomo

"Fear of Missing Out"

The reptile brain impulse that causes people to throw their money at lottery tickets when the jackpot is high, buy cryptocurrency when it's in the news or buy anything (limited)(rare) or whatever in a video game.

They don't want to be the idiot without the $$$ spaceship/tank/land claim/shipgirl outfit

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
But what if all these morons actually are on to the Next Big Thing? I'd better flush a bunch of money down the toilet just to be sure

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

I like it, it's really alien looking. I'm really sick of aliens that look like either humans with funny foreheads/a skin condition or furries.

As an example of the alien designs I'm sick of, let's look at Star Citizer: We've got the Vanduul (lizard men with daedric armor for skin), the Xi’an (Chinese turtle furries), Banu (funny foreheaded meat Groot) and the Tevarin (bird furries). Looking at the SC wiki there's apparently more, but those are the only ones that they've provided art for.

Aye same.

You can easily imagine more "evolved" variants of this too, in the style of the Thargoid ships.

It may not be real btw, it's "leaked", but if it is I can see this thing being a twat to animate.

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 25, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Gort posted:

What's fomo

Fidelity On Minor Opulence
Fear Of MoMa's Outrage
Fear Of Mental Obstructions
Financial Obfuscation Misdirects Obligations

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I just heard about the huge loan, which is funny since Eightace was posting here a long time ago and it went from "We are drowning and about to go under" to "I don't know where it came from but they just got a shitload of money, enough for another couple years."

This led me to notice something else

Star Citizen used to be almost at the top, and would actually almost be there with the $214,000,000 in crowdfunds and $46,000,000 additional loan putting it at $260,000,000 before marketing but I see backers have thrown in inflation figures and cited CIG's release of what they said they spent from 2012 to 2017 to push it down to #5. Never mind that those cited CIG numbers don't even include 2018.

At the very least it's logical to assume that if you have to get a loan you have spent the $214 million you started with, putting it at #3 only behind Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty which were mostly huge marketing campaigns saturating the planet with hundreds of millions in advertisements.

Oh and let's not forget that if you use that little inflation column correctly then you would have to add more than ten million to Star Citizens total since they've been fundraising since 2012. Instead of claiming that there has been zero change in monetary value in almost a decade where Star Citizen is concerned while also claiming that Halo 2's development cost has doubled due to inflation.

Since I made this post in January the SC cultists on the wikipedia page have drawn a hard line and refuse to allow it to be included in the list of "Most Expensive Video Games to Develop" on wikipedia anymore.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that, adjusted for inflation and with the loan added Star Citizen sits around #2 going straight for #1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Based on the talk page it sounds like they are going with the Schrodinger's game defense.

quote:

This is not List of highest funded crowdfunding projects, which does list Star Citizen. It is the list of most expensive to develop, which we lack any sourcing on in regards to budget. -- ferret (talk) 22:18, 21 June 2018 (UTC)

quote:

To add to this again: The issue isn't that it's still in development. The issue is that we have no sourcing that discusses a "development budget" or "marketing budget", either one. Crowdfunding amounts are not the same as development budgets. -- ferret (talk) 15:10, 22 June 2018 (UTC)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Since I made this post in January the SC cultists on the wikipedia page have drawn a hard line and refuse to allow it to be included in the list of "Most Expensive Video Games to Develop" on wikipedia anymore.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that, adjusted for inflation and with the loan added Star Citizen sits around #2 going straight for #1.

Based on the talk page it sounds like they are going with the Schrodinger's game defense.

Well to be fair, don't know that they spent all that money on development; they could have pissed it away on trips to Monaco and limited edition Porsche leases

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Those comments from Ferret were correct at the time (June 2018), but since then CI!G released their brochure-financials (Dec 2018) which do show how much was spent on development and marketing. A registered wiki person should be able to add the data, correctly sourced and commented, and a wiki-admin notified (e.g. Ferret) to confirm the changes :v:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:thunk:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

You're not claiming the land, you're controlling the spaceman that's claiming the land

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

But giving 100% to your investor is SMART!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic posted:

If I had the skills time or inclination I'd make a Chris Roberts vs Other Developers infographic to illustrate this comment.

Picture a badly shooped game dev holding a carrot on a stick next to a pile of money side by side with a badly shooped chris roberts holding a jpg of a carrot on a stick next to a bigger pile of money

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

That brings open interesting point about land claims, isn't it meant to be that you put the claim in and then you have to return to an office or some such thing somewhere to complete the claim?

Being that quantum travel can be very long but are also affected by the size of the ship, does that mean that the whales with the massive ships that travel faster while in QT will have another advantage in securing these claims?

Its like CI-G have no understanding of there own project.

Chris Roberts;, game dev, code whisper, chairman, inept fool, scummy business man, victim of strangling, sexy bear.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Kosumo posted:

That brings open interesting point about land claims, isn't it meant to be that you put the claim in and then you have to return to an office or some such thing somewhere to complete the claim?

Being that quantum travel can be very long but are also affected by the size of the ship, does that mean that the whales with the massive ships that travel faster while in QT will have another advantage in securing these claims?

Its like CI-G have no understanding of there own project.

Chris Roberts;, game dev, code whisper, chairman, inept fool, scummy business man, victim of strangling, sexy bear.

Well all this is theoretical anyway. On a server that holds a dozen or so people, I think there might technically be enough room in the universe for each of them to hold some land. Even on a server with 10,000 people, there's enough room when you're talking about planets. If the population of Earth was 10,000 nobody would see anyone else.

One of the psychological tricks CIG employs is putting out enough information for us to even have this discussion in the first place. Think of the implications of us having to assume the following:

- The existence of a completed universe
- The full and proper functionality of spaceships
- The fuel/travel times
- Planets are in and fully functional
- Land claim mechanics are fleshed out and serve a purpose
- Base or homestead building mechanics
- A reason to do any of this stupid bullshit.

Unless the above list, and much more, is already complete or near completion, then there's no reason to theorycraft the specifics, right? Therefore, by engaging in theorycrafting, we're passively implying all of the above is in game. This is how CIG has gotten as far as they have - backers discussing mechanics as if we're down to the wire and all that's left is balance and details, making it look to casual onlookers as if they're talking about something real. They're LARPing being customers of a nonexistent product.

There is no game, there is no plan for a game, and Chris Roberts is a fraud.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Bitch please. I'm down here trying to find all the micro plastics you guys are throwing away and keep your marine life safe.

Plastic mining is in!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I think Ferret is right from a wikipedia point of view.

If it was me in charge i'd have already spent all the money on blow and hookers.

Now, does anyone want to hear about the game i want to make and crowdfund?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

"Fear of Missing Out"

The reptile brain impulse that causes people to throw their money at lottery tickets when the jackpot is high, buy cryptocurrency when it's in the news or buy anything (limited)(rare) or whatever in a video game.

They don't want to be the idiot without the $$$ spaceship/tank/land claim/shipgirl outfit

Should, by some miracle, SC release, and actually be something i will enjoy, then i'm going to laugh my rear end off at the guys who sunk thousands into the game while i just earn the ships and stuff. Of course, they will laugh at me for actually being a peon and playing the game to earn stuff when they just bought it with real money.

But as long as it remains pay to win, which i think it will post-release (I think they will have to to keep the lights on), i won't be buying it anyway.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

If this happens to be the case, you can imagine a some vague contract scenario where Calder believe any entitlement to SQ42 moneys includes all SQ42 bundle sales before the split and right up to the initial Kickstarter, while Ortwin has been underhand in wording the contract and believes he can say it's only SQ42 money after the loan was made. And so we all go to Space Court again.

Also CIG are using hollywood accounting. Pretty sure they will show they are actually losing money, while one of their shell companies is raking it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Hmm how does it eat tho, does its head hinge open? :confused: