Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The fact that Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness is an utter trainwreck is incidental.

I thought being an utter trainwreck was the whole point of the Star Ocean games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mega64 posted:

I thought being an utter trainwreck was the whole point of the Star Ocean games.

Woah, hey now, you see...

Hmm... :hmmyes:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

How else would you make the Tales games look good

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

It's an HD remaster of the PSP version from '07.

I wasn't going to get excited for this given that the HD remaster of 2nd Story for PS4/Vita didn't get an overseas release but the English language Twitter talking it up gives me a little hope. It's cool that now the entire main Star Ocean franchise is playable on one platform too (PlayStation 4).

Is the first two (possibly 3) still the only ones worth playing?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Same price as Steamworld Quest, huh...

Which of the two would you all recommend? Interested in grabbing one of those.

both

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Steamworld Quest is available right now and there's a nonzero chance that Spire gets delayed again cause lol. You know what to do.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

Steamworld Quest is available right now and there's a nonzero chance that Spire gets delayed again cause lol. You know what to do.

Nah it comes out June 6th

Edit: That's June 6th, 2019

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ineffiable posted:

Is the first two (possibly 3) still the only ones worth playing?

It's very much a series of diminishing returns. I like 3 even if it has the infamous plot twist near the end, and imo 4's gameplay is very fun although you have to suffer some godawful characters to play it. I've never played 5 but all I ever hear of it is that it's like 20 hours long and half of it is backtracking.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Policenaut posted:

It's very much a series of diminishing returns. I like 3 even if it has the infamous plot twist near the end, and imo 4's gameplay is very fun although you have to suffer some godawful characters to play it. I've never played 5 but all I ever hear of it is that it's like 20 hours long and half of it is backtracking.

Yeah, pretty much. I actually liked what I played of it and thought having all 9 party members out at once was fun a in clusterfuck kinda way but it's suuuuuuper obvious they had negative amounts of budget because they constantly shuffle you back and forth between like, three places.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

cosmin posted:

I missed the last 2 thousand pages or so, do we have a Steamworld Quest thread or effort post?

Got it this week and I’m loving it but i’d like to look at some builds or see if I missed anything significant

I don't think there is such a thing, unfortunately. It's a great game, Image and Form do great work.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Libluini posted:

If you take Rena's path in SO2, not even that. Eventually the planet gets blown up under your feet and you travel via teleport to the second one. You'll see a space ship in some cut scenes, though: It gets blown up without the party ever setting foot on it. (Except for Claude, but since one man alone isn't a party, he doesn't count.)
You've forgotten the best part. The second planet in SO2 is ultra-high-tech but their entire world looks medieval on purpose, just because they like the style.

The SO3 plot twist is good, because it shits on the whole series. It's missing the Danganropa V3 middle finger to the fanbase, though.

SO4 is the story of Edge Maverick, a dumb-as-a-rock teenager who hands over the power core of his (for stupid reasons) spaceship to an clearly evil BDSM-science lady, who proceeds to destroy the Earth. Luckily is a parallel-universe Earth, so no one gives a gently caress after a few hours of moping, and this whole thing is only a minor arc for introducing a cat-girl into the party.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SO3's video game plot twist blew me away when I was a teen- it was my first entry into the series and I thought it was cool. Later I found out that it was apparently a slap to every fan and the worst thing ever so lol whatever.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just got off a 12 hour flight where I must have played 6 hours of diablo 3

Even plugged into power the battery eventually dies (usb plug on planes doesn’t draw much) but it’s a great feeling to play 6 hours straight of diablo 3 and not be like ah poo poo I wasted my day because what else am I gonna do

If you start a seasonal game you can exit and renter seasonal games without a connection. Got my full barbarian set

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just got off a 12 hour flight where I must have played 6 hours of diablo 3

Even plugged into power the battery eventually dies (usb plug on planes doesn’t draw much) but it’s a great feeling to play 6 hours straight of diablo 3 and not be like ah poo poo I wasted my day because what else am I gonna do

If you start a seasonal game you can exit and renter seasonal games without a connection. Got my full barbarian set

What up fellow 12 hour plane buddy! I’m doing the same thing tomorrow (Amman to JFK) and I plan on a marathon Dragons Dogma session.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
On the subject of power banks, any recommendations for a good travel bank? I'm looking at a six hour flight in about a month on Southwest Airlines and in their emails too me they keep reiterating there are no power plugs for use on the plane.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's a 100Wh limit for bringing battery packs on planes, so just make sure you don't go over that. RAVPower and Anker both have good USB-C PD 99Wh packs that can run a Switch

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just finished Steamworld Quest - what a nice little game. So much room to expand on top of that framework.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bushisms.txt posted:

There's something special about smb2 that this screen just fills me with joy. Only Mario game I've ever loved.

I wholeheartedly agree. Those hills with multiple doors, and the almost-open nature of every stage just pulls me in, every time.

I will make the poo poo out of some SMB2 levels if that game style shows up in SMM2.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Picross S3 done.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wholeheartedly agree. Those hills with multiple doors, and the almost-open nature of every stage just pulls me in, every time.

I will make the poo poo out of some SMB2 levels if that game style shows up in SMM2.

It's doorways and turnips all the way down and I'm entirely there for it. The physics of jumping on projectiles has to be why they haven't put it in yet. I need it.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Wouldn't he be Mouser's father or whatever since Yoshi's Island takes place 20-30 years before SMB2? I guess it depends on the average lifespan of a Mouser (can't be that long if they're vulnerable to their own stockpiles of bombs).
Huh. Mario has a timeline. I've never considered that before.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi exist independently of Mario and Luigi.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Mario timeline is just "the games where mario is a baby" -> every other mario game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

American McGay posted:

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi exist independently of Mario and Luigi.

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi travel through time a lot and I think forget to go back or whatever, so they're still around to play sports and drive karts.

It's best not to think too hard about the Mario Multiverse.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mega64 posted:

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi travel through time a lot and I think forget to go back or whatever, so they're still around to play sports and drive karts.

It's best not to think too hard about the Mario Multiverse.

The Mario characters are a theater troupe. :colbert:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

There's something special about smb2 that this screen just fills me with joy. Only Mario game I've ever loved.

hell, same

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Smart to do a first playthrough of Steamworld Dig 2 without direction markers?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Deified Data posted:

Smart to do a first playthrough of Steamworld Dig 2 without direction markers?
It's strictly personal preference. There's no reason to turn them off if you like them. If you've never used them before maybe try a bit with them off.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

The Mario characters are a theater troupe. :colbert:

that's just SMB3

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Oh poo poo my Hollow Knight Collectors Edition shipped.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

that's just SMB3

That's when it's first fully realized but

https://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/9/25/3407672/miyamoto-the-mario-cast-is-a-troupe-of-actors-and-bowsers-kids-are posted:

"If you're familiar with things like Popeye and some of the old comic characters, you would oftentimes see this cast of characters that takes on different roles depending on the comic or cartoon," Miyamoto said. 
As to Mario taking on other odd jobs, such as a doctor and Olympian, the designer said that Mario has always been "blue-collar."

"He's hard-working, and certainly much more physical in nature," he said. "So, I think that a doctor is sort of an unexpected and perhaps unbelievable role for Mario. Perhaps the Dr. Mario you're thinking of was maybe, in some way, not necessarily legitimate."

They're an acting troupe.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I love the idea that “Dr. Mario” is some kind of shady mob doctor writing dubious prescriptions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Weedle posted:

I love the idea that “Dr. Mario” is some kind of shady mob doctor writing dubious prescriptions.

He’s the one they call Dr. Mario
He’s the one that makes you feel all right
He’s the one they call Dr. Mario
He’s gonna eat that mushroom now

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Unlicensed Dr. Mario

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
You’d think more ppl would tease out the connections between Popeye & Mario considering how big of an influence on the series it’s been. Like, even beyond Donkey Kong being a Popeye game originally, you’ve got Pac-Man being a big influence on Miyamoto and that design also being explicitly influenced by Popeye & so on.
Along the same lines kinda surprising to me that Cuphead was a semi-outlier in terms of recent games directly drawing from those old Fleischer cartoons,’z

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

doctor mario is the third mario brother, estranged from his working class family after he got his doctorate and started acting like he was better than them

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/d11suke/status/1131327068124397568

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For more evidence theyre theater performers in the classic Commedia Dell'Arte characters the stock doctor character was a cuckold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'll have to admit, even I was taken aback by the recent marketing push for Fire Emblem.