Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm planning to move to a townhome that doesn't have a fridge so I'm looking at buying a fridge for the first time in my life. The fridge area is limited by the counter to one side and an exterior wall to the other side so I'm limited to something no more than 40" wide with the doors all the way open. I already have a freezer, so I was thinking about getting a freezerless fridge like this one since it costs a little less to run, but it looks like it costs about the same as a top freezer fridge like this one which while it takes ~150kwh more a year to run, would save us the marginal hassle of walking over to the freezer to get ice and would be easier to find other options for. Suggestions/thoughts?

Anyone able to recommend a refrigerator review site? All the review sites I've looked at are utter garbage. One site listed the cons for the fridge they rated as the best in 2018 as: "sometimes does not keep food cold enough and it spoils."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are you looking for standard depth or counter depth? That changes the landscape significantly.

Since you said you were considering a single-unit fridge, I've got a counter depth one I'll sell ya if you're in Iowa :P

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The other thing is I'd like to keep the higher bed height. I think all my bedroom stuff is ikea. I stained an ikea dresser and nightstand dark brown several years ago. And I have a small bookcase in the corner.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

what

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have the consumer reports ratings. Any of the LG and Samsung ones are pretty good. I'm looking at the LG LFCC22426S which is a counter depth french door

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I too consider an item that costs me 1.2 cents per hour of use 'ludicrous'

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

:shrug: Not everyone can afford to drop $2k on a single piece of furniture? If there's a 1.2¢/hr installment plan then sure, maybe

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I have the consumer reports ratings. Any of the LG and Samsung ones are pretty good. I'm looking at the LG LFCC22426S which is a counter depth french door

I have the Kenmore rebranded LG with french door over freezer and I like it very much.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think it’s overpriced for the aesthetic and materials. I don’t think it brings enough to the table to be worth that much to me, especially against other DWR offerings. You’re right that $2k for a bed that can last decades isn’t out of the question or unreachable for many people. ‘Ludicrous’ wasn’t an entirely objective take. I wouldn’t pay $2k for that bed, I might pay $1k or $1200. But I’d also consider a generic frame with my own headboard/footboard so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mattresses and linens are paramount, but there are furniture touchpoints where I shell out before beds. Like I said, chairs. Dressers. I’ll buy a $3k dresser before I buy a $2k bed frame. Different people prioritize spending in different ways.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't replace my nightstand because it's in the far corner of my bedroom so you never really see it. My dresser on the other hand...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol if you don't replace your dresser annually as recommended

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rotate your wallpaper with the seasons, people.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Rotate your wallpaper with the seasons, people.

And the engineered beams you cut. The humidity in the summer will cause the bottom flanges to expand and bow, so put them flange up in the summer, for maximum compressive strength.
I the winter turn them back around so your floor won't sag!!

The one weird trick that structural engineers don't want you to know.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bad Munki posted:

Are you looking for standard depth or counter depth? That changes the landscape significantly.

Since you said you were considering a single-unit fridge, I've got a counter depth one I'll sell ya if you're in Iowa :P

Counter depth probably although I don't have my heart set on it. We have a counter depth right now and things sometimes get lost in the back so we definitely don't need any more depth. Unfortunately I'm not in or moving to Iowa.

actionjackson posted:

Thank you for the suggestion. That model is too wide for us though. There's only 38 inches between the counter and the wall and that fridge is just a little too wide to open the doors even to 90degrees without hitting the wall.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This is the bed I looked at today

https://scandinaviandesigns.com/collections/juneau-bedroom-collection/products/juneau-panel-bed?variant=16028884041818

It's actually about the same height as my Ikea one so that's nice. I'm wondering if sitting up in bed to read will be comfortable with an uncurved headboard. I was also wondering what your thoughts were on possibly adding some sort of upholestry to the headboard, partly for comfort and partly for appearance. For example something like a light or medium gray plush cushion.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just buy something upholstered if you want that.

Also, if you're reading in bed, you use your pillows to sit up on, not the theoretical curvature of the headboard.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I like wood but I also like the cushioned headboard. Like the Raleigh bed DWR has

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
At which point you're adding an extra $300 in upholstery costs, but sure. At that point you might as well spend some extra cash and buy something you like that's made that way.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well that's the thing, there's very little out there I've found in terms of wood beds with upholestered headboards. The Raleigh is a bazillion dollars, the bed from CB2 is cool except it's too low to the ground, and the cushion isn't really a color I like. Any other places I should be looking?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think you're unlikely to find a bed that is both a good bed and a good backrest, so instead get two products that each do one job well. Get one of those angled pillows that you can use as a backrest. Stow it under the bed when not in use.

That said, if you can find a bed that does the job well, then hey, more power to you.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Room & Board has excellent high beds with less markup than DWR. I think pretty much everything is custom-made, so lots of options. They have upholstered models too

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If it were me, and you really want a Raleigh or whatever, I'd just throw the mattress on the floor or use your existing frame and buy it later. If you're going to have it for 40 years, might as well buy what you want.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think you're unlikely to find a bed that is both a good bed and a good backrest, so instead get two products that each do one job well. Get one of those angled pillows that you can use as a backrest. Stow it under the bed when not in use.

That said, if you can find a bed that does the job well, then hey, more power to you.

Just get a liberator

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well it's hard to say if I plan on having my next bed 40 years... but at least ten or so.

I'm off to blu do and room/board outlet to see if they have any beds I'm interested in - hopefully I don't get trampled to death.

I think I'm fine with wood now and just using a pillow/pillows.

Some beds I'm digging:

https://www.bludot.com/woodrow-queen-beds.html

https://www.bludot.com/nook-bed-queen.html (not wood, but a cool design imo)

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/beds/copenhagen-bed

bonus ikea bed https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29287539/ :effort:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

trip report: queen beds are basically never available at outlets. I assume that's because they are the most common size.

They did have the woodrow in a walnut king for $949 which is an amazing discount, but my room is only like 12x12 so it wouldn't work.

Also I LOVE this dresser. They had the low version at the outlet but not the tall one

https://www.bludot.com/lap-tall-dresser.html

I think the reason I like it so much is because you can't tell how many drawers it has. It gives the illusion of either having many or none at the same time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sup dawg I heard you like shiplap

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

Also I LOVE this dresser. They had the low version at the outlet but not the tall one

https://www.bludot.com/lap-tall-dresser.html

I think the reason I like it so much is because you can't tell how many drawers it has. It gives the illusion of either having many or none at the same time.
Woof woof. That's a dog.

It misses the point of clean lines by instead having a million lines that are unclean and make the edge jagged instead of straight and those legs look like a baseball bat handle and they taper the wrong way. It's like someone just took all the bits and pieces that make midcentury stuff actually good and stuck them together and flipped them upside down with no context and said "$2000 plz"

But that's just one opinion.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I like the dresser.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
My first thought

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

drat you people

I also like the series 11 stuff

https://www.bludot.com/series-11-collection.html

shale

https://www.bludot.com/shale-modern-casegoods.html

I feel like the credenza would work well as a chest of drawers replacement

Also here's the nook bed. It does look pretty comfortable and I like all the color options

https://www.bludot.com/nook-bed-queen.html

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh this is the walnut king woodrow IRL. It was like $949. I wish it had been a queen instead :/

My bedroom is around 164" x 128" so it's just not going to be big enough for a king.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 25, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

These both make me think of media centers moreso than clothes drawers, to be honest. I think it's that style of drawer face -- the blank board with a small handle at the top. That plus the legs; a chest of drawers ought to have at most short stubby wooden feet.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Woof woof. That's a dog.

It misses the point of clean lines by instead having a million lines that are unclean and make the edge jagged instead of straight and those legs look like a baseball bat handle and they taper the wrong way. It's like someone just took all the bits and pieces that make midcentury stuff actually good and stuck them together and flipped them upside down with no context and said "$2000 plz"

But that's just one opinion.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My first thought

lol and lol @ 2199. Overpriced dreck? Say no more, we got ya fam.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I do like the stainless steel likes on the series 11 dresser.

I wouldn't pay full price for any of this stuff, but they have tons of stuff in their outlet every weekend so I figure eventually I'll find something I like at a huge discount.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

drat you people

I also like the series 11 stuff

https://www.bludot.com/series-11-collection.html

shale

https://www.bludot.com/shale-modern-casegoods.html

I feel like the credenza would work well as a chest of drawers replacement

Also here's the nook bed. It does look pretty comfortable and I like all the color options

https://www.bludot.com/nook-bed-queen.html

Both of those look like office furniture to me, but they're a whole lot better than Snoopy's house.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't see how this at least doesn't look like a bedroom dresser

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Only by default, really, since there's nothing else that has that particular shape and arrangement of drawers. The legs look really weird in a bedroom setting IMO, and the frame around the drawers looks really thin. To my mind, bedroom furniture should generally look heavier.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I guess by shape but if you told me it was a drafting cabinet, I wouldn’t really question it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My old (and incredibly modern looking!) fridge appears to be... unlevel? Not sure how I never noticed this. Note the width of the gap on the left side.

Or was it just never adjusted properly?

Fortunately there is this very modern looking replacement!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-16-4-cu-ft-Quad-French-Door-Freezer-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-HRQ16N3BGS/300859002

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 26, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Whatever. I like the dresser. Everyone dogpiles on me because I call a $2k DWR bed overpriced, but I like the snoopy dresser way more for the money. They wouldn’t be my first choice but I think the one with the orange legs looks pretty interesting and subtly weird in a bedroom.

Also, actionjackson, if you haven’t figured it out already this thread is only ever like 70% constructive and good-faith at very best. And the other 30% is people emphatically failing to agree on the monetary and aesthetic worth of anything at all. So please don’t stress out around making sure that every decision you make has the full support of the thread. You’re entitled to buy what you like and appeals to you if you aren’t being financially unsound or sawing into your joists. But some goons will poo poo all over anything that you post and find a reason why you’re an idiot rube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I also kind of liked the Snoopy dresser, at least as far as it stands out from the other mid-century stuff which is all kind of starting to look the same at this point. What's wrong with keeping clothes in a buffet, anyway? If a long, low piece suits your needs as far as storage then who cares? It's tedious to have taste that is so basic and then on top of that you police how a given piece is going to be used.