Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

That's what I was wondering too. It sounds very strange. How hard would it be for car manufacturers to put protection on for that by the way?

I think you could just use diodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Which WI dealer, out of curiosity?

The two Madison dealerships.

The west one the service manager always argued with me over oil changes and maintenance. I asked about the cost of the 30k mile and the 60k mile service and he said there is no such thing, it's only oil changes forever. "The internet says all kinds of things that aren't true!" then I got the receipt / inventory for the oil change and it listed the wrong oil for the turbo engine. He assured me it was correct anyways. I asked how they keep track of inventory if their inventory sheet is wrong and he couldn't tell me. I got a free oil change out of it and I'll never go back. I don't go places to spend $100 to argue with people.

So I went to the east one since and they're the ones I've been dealing with all these other issues. They at least have the 30k and 60k services listed on a entire check off sheet and the costs. Oh well.

Sorry if my tone is lovely this is how I get talking about car issues.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 24, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This sounds like how my story began. Get out now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

shovelbum posted:

Current needs to flow both ways to charge a battery. I think the best you could do is a reverse protection diode that clamps the voltage if reversed, but then you've got just shy of a dead short when you connect the battery backwards and the wires melt and the diode blows out and then you've still got reverse voltage on the battery.

Why not just have different sized terminals? Design it so the positive can't fit on the negative terminal.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Batteries already have different sized terminals. Never doubt the stupidity of the person working on the vehicle though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Huh. I've never noticed because I've never actually tried to connect a battery backwards.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The terminals don't naturally flex enough to wire things backwards. You really have to try and gently caress up.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

shovelbum posted:

That is how alternators work! Also most computers have crowbar diodes exceeding the pertinent fuse rating for this exact reason, but maybe some small ones don't?

um excuse me posted:

The terminals don't naturally flex enough to wire things backwards. You really have to try and gently caress up.

I ran a Group 26R battery in the Forester for a while a few years ago, and the battery cables on worked because the battery was smaller.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was just out and about in the rain in my '05 9-2X Linear, took a sweeping corner a little warm, and then I got a "slipping clutch" feeling, with a horrible road-speed-related clacking sound to boot.

The engine revs freely fine with the clutch in, the clutch seems to work, the gearbox seems to work. The car will stall if I go too slowly in gear, especially when turning. It doesn't seem to 'fight' the stall, it's a fast, quiet stall like there's a lot of load on the engine, not just a little. With the car in neutral it doesn't stall at the lights.

It reminds me a bit of when the rear axle on my 06 WRX popped out during autocross, but I was driving on sticky tires with upgraded suspension - this is stock (most of them original) parts with studded winter tires in the rain. The only change I have is a 22mm rear swaybar and Audi rear endlinks.

In the WRX's case, we figured it was the previous owner doing drag launches that bent the circlip inside the rear diff. I also remember noticing some leakage from the diff but I don't see any (although it's been raining). The outer boot on the driver's side rear axle does seem a little dark, but I don't know if it was like that before.

I've had a ghost "slipping clutch" feeling from time to time leaving a light, but I figured it was probably a slipping clutch since the car is still on the original disc.

If I grab the axles and try to shake them while the car is on the ground, the drivers' side one moves a little bit (like a few mm) whereas the passenger side axle is rock solid.

All this makes me think the left rear axle has popped out of the diff, but I seriously don't know how that would happen even with severely worn suspension components in the back. The previous owner was a teenager, so maybe there's some validity to the "hard launch" theory.

I haven't had much time to drive the car more, because my neighbourhood streets are pretty busy at the moment for a test drive. I'll have to try it some more during the day this week and see if I can get more details.

edit: Hours later, I wonder: Stuck caliper? I did a front padslap this fall because they were thin as hell, but the rears weren't far behind.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 26, 2019

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Philthy posted:

So I doubled down and ended up getting the 10year/100k gold plus warranty for 2k. I'm probably going to regret this.
don’t think about it that way, life isn’t about min maxing your dimes. Extended warranties are investments in peace of mind. 5 years from now when a light goes off or a funny noise happens you aren’t going to have a sense of dread gnawing at your gut knowing you’re about to get a repair bill dick in the rear end.

poo poo even if you never use it there’s going to be some moments where you hear a noise or hallucinate the car is driving odd and you aren’t going to worry. Worth it.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

This. Kowing that if my CVT dies on me I won't have to get an ulcer is worth it. Think of it as preventative care deductible.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Subarus are not very reliable cars. Expecting them to have Honda / Toyota levels of reliability will just lead to disappointment. Extended warranty seems like a good choice. You might have better luck "expressing your concern" to Subaru north America or whatever corporate is called. The manufacturers try to keep the dealers on a short leash, so that might be a good route.

In other news, how much oil burning should I be seeing in my 06 XT. I haven't had it long enough to really gauge it, but I bet it's near 1qt / 1000 miles. I'm guessing it's the turbo that is normally the culprit? I'm drat close to getting everything fixed on this car, but I really don't want to deal with a turbo problem.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

n8r posted:

Subarus are not very reliable cars. Expecting them to have Honda / Toyota levels of reliability will just lead to disappointment.

Out of curiosity, aside from pre-2010 EJ25 head gaskets and the 5MT not liking turbo torque, what makes you say that? My personal Subaru sample size is 1, but that poverty-spec OBS went from 116k to 208k like a champ as a teenage boy's first car, including handling some poorly done attempts at mechanic work by said teenage boy in the first 25k or so. I think the EJ22 with 5MT was kind of the end of the era that made Click and Clack rave about them, though. So I don't know what else might have gone downhill since then.

Storytime: when I tried doing the spark plugs at 120k apparently I didn't even screw one of them in right and it was just sitting in the spark plug well :gonk:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Turbo motors are pretty fragile. Ringlands/oiling issues. Corrosion problems are awful for a winter weather car.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If Subaru could just iron out those annoying piston ring/rust issues and stop burning oil in every drat engine they ever built they would be really great cars.

Here in Colorado everyone pays for lots of carwashes with those undercarriage spray/wax things. They don't appear to do anything, they still all rust out.

It's kind of nuts how every car maker is doing all this cool poo poo and releasing awesome new models and crazy new engines and totally new chassis full of wowwowo tech... and then there's Subaru with the CrossTrek.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 27, 2019

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

Here in Colorado everyone pays for lots of carwashes with those undercarriage spray/wax things. They don't appear to do anything, they still all rust out.

That is 100% the opposite of what I've seen living here my whole life. Cars in CO basically don't rust. If you said Utah* or somewhere in the rust belt, yeah. I am trying to remember if I ever took my Subaru to a car wash in the nine years I owned it. Maybe once or twice. No rust except where there are a couple dings in the paint. Granted, mine has some sort of undercoating from a PO, but I barely see any rusted Subarus here, or rusted anything for that matter. And when I do, odds are good it was from somewhere else first.

It makes me sad that the CrossTrek is apparently crappy, because if it wasn't I would be all over a manual one. It's basically the new OBS, just a few inches wider, taller, and longer. But still not nearly as much bloat as I would expect from ~15 years of new generations.

*Basing my opinion of Utah off of the truck my dad bought from there that ended up being half rust, he ended up having to sell it because he didn't have the time, money, or welding equipment to fix it up. I always assumed it was because it was from SLC, with an emphasis on the S.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I would love a manual CrossTrek with something about 225ish HP under the hood. Probably easier to do some crazy suspension swap on a WRX than wait for Subaru to do something interesting.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

If it ain't broke we can sell it forever, don't fix it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
drat people, wash your ~$30,000 investments. It's not a refrigerator.

I wash mine every month in the summer, and after every salt treatment in the winter.

I still broke off exhaust bolts, though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mr. Powers posted:

I would love a manual CrossTrek with something about 225ish HP under the hood. Probably easier to do some crazy suspension swap on a WRX than wait for Subaru to do something interesting.

BRZ's and Crosstreks have far more in common than most people realise.

Just throwing out Crosstrek upgrade ideas for anyone out there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

um excuse me posted:

and after every salt treatment in the winter.

So, once a day?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The 2020 Crosstrek XTI is proof Subaru is thinking about interesting stuff, but there some sort of mesh net over there that is way too fine. They should go "Nissan" for a little.

bull3964 posted:

So, once a day?

Before and after it snows, unfortunately. So maybe 10-15 times in the winter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Our roads are perpetually white with salt from mid december to mid march. There's no keeping a car clean.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mine too, my compromise is to wash when the car gets sprayed with saline. Dry salt is okay****

****Not really okay, but again, compromise.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

um excuse me posted:

The 2020 Crosstrek XTI is proof Subaru is thinking about interesting stuff, but there some sort of mesh net over there that is way too fine. They should go "Nissan" for a little.

Before and after it snows, unfortunately. So maybe 10-15 times in the winter.

They've had a lot of interesting concept cars over the past decade, yet those cars still don't exist.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
There are car wash products with rust protection in them. Bilt Hamber has great products for that, but I don't think you can get them in the US. Pressure wash the underside and spray on the products and you are good.
I'm very happy that they've stopped salting tons and tons and tons here in Sweden. Turns out it's poo poo for the environment I think? But we have winter tire laws, so if you are dumb enough to crash with summers / all season tires you can kiss insurance goodbye and risk legal troubles, so I get they salt everything to death in the US.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

um excuse me posted:

drat people, wash your ~$30,000 investments. It's not a refrigerator.

I wash mine every month in the summer, and after every salt treatment in the winter.

I still broke off exhaust bolts, though.

I mean, I really should wash my cars (especially the Camry, that thing starts looking nasty so easily with how light it is) but I never think/remember to, and at least it was a 10 year old $5k car when I got it. Probably $3-3.5k when I wrecked it.

If I ever move somewhere that has humidity I'm probably going to end up with rusted-through floor panel within 2 years.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Just hit 200k on my '05 LGT. Still on the original turbo 😬.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Splinter posted:

Just hit 200k on my '05 LGT. Still on the original turbo 😬.

Awesome!

My turbo made it to 215k on the FXT with no issues. I only replaced it because a friend of mine had gone VF on his FXT and had a brand new OEM Subaru unit that he sold me for $125 with a catless uppipe. The original TD04 is still sitting on my workbench in essentially perfect condition.

I even made it to 220k on the original clutch. Again only changed it preventatively. Now it’s got 222k and only gets driven rarely, so I shouldn’t have to replace anything big anymore.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yo is there a way to relocate the oil filter so it's a top loader on my 2010 outback 3.6 and unfuck the skid plate from all my half assed wrist slicing arm searing oil changes?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A universal oil filter relocation kit should do nicely. I'd probably use hard lines instead of the rubber hoses they usually come with, though

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Recommendations?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I already have a top mounted filter from the factory, so I've never used one, but if I were to pick one I'd use this one with nice AN lines.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-22-828/

Cheaper kits exist, but I wouldn't want to cheap out on such a critical system.

Edit: Fixed URL to recommend a kit that uses standard filters

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 30, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....OIL FILTER RELOCATION KITS EXIST?!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hotrodders are good for some things. "Ah poo poo this new engines filter is blocked by a crossmember, Summit save me!"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

BRZ's and Crosstreks have far more in common than most people realise.

Just throwing out Crosstrek upgrade ideas for anyone out there.

Now I have to look up if someone has done a FA20 swap, although I feel like it would be better suited by a small turbo that kicks in early for lower end torque. That was my only real complaint about how the OBS drove, if you were doing low speeds on steep hills you had to shift way too loving far down. If you could get a running start on it, you were fine, but if not, enjoy driving behind a big truck with trailer at 10mph on a dirt track road in first for the next twenty minutes :unsmigghh:

...And apparently the FA20F exists as a thing on the 2014-2018 Forester XT and the 2015+ WRX in the US. The Forester isn’t based off the Impreza anymore, is it? Would the WRX crossmember fit on a Crosstrek to let the turbo plumbing past? Assuming current generation ones still have a different shape like the ones from the ‘90s did.

Not that I’m doing anything like that in the next 5+ years. But it’s fun to dream.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Hi Subaru thread. I just replaced my beat to poo poo leaking, creaking Citroen Berlingo with a ~*JDM*~ Legacy GT Spec B 'tuned by STI'. It's blue and rad as hell. Looks to be pretty stock apart from a set of coilovers - I couldn't see what brand they were (they drove well on test but I assume they may want looking at sooner than later), but everything else is nice and original. Super clean, completely rust free and only 68k miles. Now I just need to wait for it to be UK registered.

e; so clean

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 31, 2019

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
So my fxt has a heavy as poo poo clutch pedal. Is that normal? I drove my dad's 128i yesterday and almost punched a hole in the firewall pushing his clutch down. I attacked the clutch pedal mechanism with silicone spray and that helped a bit. Any other options to lighten it up?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Hhnnnnnngggg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Blacknose posted:

Hi Subaru thread. I just replaced my beat to poo poo leaking, creaking Citroen Berlingo with a ~*JDM*~ Legacy GT Spec B 'tuned by STI'. It's blue and rad as hell. Looks to be pretty stock apart from a set of coilovers - I couldn't see what brand they were (they drove well on test but I assume they may want looking at sooner than later), but everything else is nice and original. Super clean, completely rust free and only 68k miles. Now I just need to wait for it to be UK registered.

e; so clean

Probably the most beautiful car ever made by Subaru :love: