Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
from the everest thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN posted:

from the everest thread:

he died, frozen and alone, and the world lost one more douchebag.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Yeah that was my reaction too. "Holy poo poo video games were right?"

I always used to wonder about video game-y set design, "How do the employees work on a normal day?" It turns out that they just get really good at the jumping puzzle over the toxic water, or the timed electrical arc puzzle.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

ekuNNN posted:

from the everest thread:

It strikes me as a really bad idea to climb down into a crevasse to take a picture of someone drinking coffee.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Sex Skeleton posted:

It strikes me as a really bad idea to climb down into a crevasse to take a picture of someone drinking coffee.

But think of the number of likes it could get you on Instagram, still a bad idea?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that was in one of the practice areas

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Log082 posted:

I always used to wonder about video game-y set design, "How do the employees work on a normal day?" It turns out that they just get really good at the jumping puzzle over the toxic water, or the timed electrical arc puzzle.

Really all that's left is for some workplace to actually use a key system that you could reasonably see in a Resident Evil game.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Mt Evereest at this point is bascally a badge saying "I'm white an entitled enough to pay a bunch of sherpas to drag my fat, non-mountaineering rear end up to the worlds second deadliest mountain so I can take a selfie showing some rocks, snow, sky and myself".

At this point you're literally better of climbing K2, because that has a much higher fatality rate and hence should dissuade more people from doing it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
k2 i would have actual respect for

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Do sherpas often die or only tourists?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I imagine since they live there, they're acclimated and can survive longer. So when their white dude dies, they take the hint and start heading down. Think of the white dudes as human canaries.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

They are better acclimated to survive at high altitudes. There was a discovery channel show where the title card said "Ever Ever Ever Ever Rest Rest Rest Rest" and the guy that ran the company would have his sherpa head up and set the lines. There was one scene where two of them made it to the summit and radioed down that they have everything set up and they were ready to pretty much drag all the idiots to the top.

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
The sherpas usually only die if there's an accident or something, most of the deaths are from altitude sickness and bad decision making on the part of the rich dipshits. That's really the best part, is that no matter how many sherpa guides and plane tickets and government bribes you can afford, none of these idiots can buy their way into the genetics that allow you to survive at high altitude without your brain turning off whatever rationality you may have had in the first place.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
As long as more poor people aren't dying in order for the rich to get their kicks, I'm ok with that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

would my ipad get 4g at the summit?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

ethanol posted:

when you get to the summit everything on your person levels up, you'd get 5g.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ethanol posted:

you can plug in a network cable directly to satellites flying by at that altitude.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ethanol posted:

It wouldn't last very long as cold weather saps the energy from batteries.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Let’s take the Everest chat to that thread. Sherpas I get are badass workers. But still a derail of mountainous proportions.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

But like Everest is a job, and sherpas are the workers....what about their safety!

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

sherpas should take the rich people's money and leave them on the mountain. that would help everyone.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LifeSunDeath posted:

But like Everest is a job, and sherpas are the workers....what about their safety!

Hey it was a suggestion to avoid the obvious current derail about non osha poo poo, post at your own questionable safety now i guess.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

Hey it was a suggestion to avoid the obvious current derail about non osha poo poo, post at your own questionable safety now i guess.

exercise proper posting health and safety and avoid derails. Burt is the OSHA officer for GBS.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That tracks, the osha guy is always the least popular person in the room.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

:boom:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

aardvaard posted:

sherpas should take the rich people's money and leave them on the mountain. that would help everyone.

That happens with some frequency, regardless.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

:lol:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Something I've unironically had on my bucket list since I was about 14 was to go to Everest base camp. Hitting the summit isn't something I've desired to do, but I've always wanted to at least go to the base camp and see the mountain up close.

I guess I need to come up with a better idea because apparently this is douchy now :( :ohdear:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Not everyone who dies trying to climb Everest dies on the mountain. Some of them don't even make it past the aurport: https://youtu.be/nYwqfNqy9GU

Fun fact the airport is named Lukla which is Nepali for "runway too close to cliff"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zipperelli. posted:

Something I've unironically had on my bucket list since I was about 14 was to go to Everest base camp. Hitting the summit isn't something I've desired to do, but I've always wanted to at least go to the base camp and see the mountain up close.

I guess I need to come up with a better idea because apparently this is douchy now :( :ohdear:

I don't see anything wrong with doing the hike to base camp, I've been wanting to do it as well. You could probably offset the other douches by collecting some trash and taking it back.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KodiakRS posted:

Fun fact the airport is named Lukla which is Nepali for "runway too close to cliff"

Must be in a different dialect than the one mentioned in Wikipedia

Wiki posted:

Although Lukla means place with many goats and sheep, few are found in the area nowadays.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KodiakRS posted:

Not everyone who dies trying to climb Everest dies on the mountain. Some of them don't even make it past the aurport: https://youtu.be/nYwqfNqy9GU

And if you die close to the summit, hauling bodies out is such a pain you'll be left there and used as a landmark. :v:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Cythereal posted:

And if you die close to the summit, hauling bodies out is such a pain you'll be left there and used as a landmark. :v:

Do they prop up your corpse and have it holding a sign that says "This way →"?

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 26, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vanagoon posted:

Do they prop up your corpse and have it holding a sign that says "This way →"?

Not exactly but it's absolutely true that if you're a particularly unique or recognizable corpse you'll become a regular guest star in plans and instructions.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

How many years bad luck you get for stepping under this rig?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LifeSunDeath posted:

How many years bad luck you get for stepping under this rig?

Gravity acceleration is 9.8m/s 2 so less than one second at worst.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/6ftOjPH.mp4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Samuel L. Jackson has finally met his match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/B5qTqzf.gifv