Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Rhyno posted:

Vague-ish details/update

He works for a pretty major company with offices around the world. He is traveling on business. He has HUNDREDS of alibis. Plane tickets, hotels, receipts, meetings etc. So he isn't worried about that. He has already retained a lawyer and is flying home early to combat this. He's still a little worried that he'll be arrested when he gets off the plane.
If he has all of that he has nothing to worry about as far as prosecution. But yeah, he'll probably be arrested and/or detained and questioned until this all gets sorted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Believe all women!

This is a lovely thing to say sarcastically. Sexual assault and rape is common and is terrible. We absolutely need to take allegations seriously and taking this attitude to the subject in general is straight up victim blaming. The cases where reports are filed falsely are often very obvious (like this one) and fall apart after like 5 minutes of scrutiny.

This person should absolutely get hammered for making a false police report, but don't use that as an excuse to be lovely to victims.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

This is a lovely thing to say sarcastically. Sexual assault and rape is common and is terrible. We absolutely need to take allegations seriously and taking this attitude to the subject in general is straight up victim blaming. The cases where reports are filed falsely are often very obvious (like this one) and fall apart after like 5 minutes of scrutiny.

This person should absolutely get hammered for making a false police report, but don't use that as an excuse to be lovely to victims.

It's a slippery slope tho when you start assuming everyone is guilty when blamed.

If Rhyno's friend didn't have all the proof he does, he'd be hosed just because it wasn't something obvious like being out of the country? That's not good either.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The assumption is that the defendant is innocent until proven otherwise, beyond reasonable doubt, in a court of law etc. etc.

That's the way it's supposed to be, anyhow.

Whether or not it's "very often" that false allegations are readily proven false, there are still too many (read: non-zero) innocent people whose lives have been drastically negatively affected because of a false accusation, resulting in prison, sex offender registry, societal exile, and so forth, due to a predisposition to convict for sexual assault based primarily on victim testimony even with flimsy or nonexistent physical evidence.

ilkahn is still a bit of a dick for the "hot take", but the point is there. And this is SA; as much as we've moved forward in being more inclusive and understanding while speaking in earnest, there's still gonna be that kind of thing.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 25, 2019

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

KillHour posted:

It absolutely is terrible. Allegations absolutely need to be investigated. And that investigation needs to start with "Lets investigate and find out if it happened?" rather than "This person has ovaries and a vagina therefore it happened and that's the end of the story". Last I knew women's bodies make estrogen, not truth serum. Nor lie serum for that matter. Which is why we investigate *before* we prosecute.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somebody bashed in the door lock to get into my already unlocked truck that has absolutely nothing in it but seats and tarps

Idiotic loving junkies.

I'm guessing they were planning on stealing it again and couldn't figure out how to start it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You need a robot arm with pepperspray or something. Isn't that thing a contractor/fleet vehicle special? What is it about it that makes it such a magnet for fuckery?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

You need a robot arm with pepperspray or something. Isn't that thing a contractor/fleet vehicle special? What is it about it that makes it such a magnet for fuckery?

I have no loving clue, it's a piece of poo poo.

It's not even in the loving top 10 list :shrug:

it's a 99 2wd, nowhere on there

when they stole it the last time, they creased the door prying the door handle off, it was unlocked then too, so i'm guessing it was the same folks.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 25, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

It absolutely is terrible. Allegations absolutely need to be investigated. And that investigation needs to start with "Lets investigate and find out if it happened?" rather than "This person has ovaries and a vagina therefore it happened and that's the end of the story". Last I knew women's bodies make estrogen, not truth serum. Nor lie serum for that matter. Which is why we investigate *before* we prosecute.

The issue is that there is a huge social stigma against rape victims. The "believe all women" slogan is to say "take these allegations seriously" not "don't have an investigation." There's a long history of this stuff being swept under the carpet and we just saw a high profile example of that attitude in the Kavanaugh hearings. "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't mean "assume the woman is lying," but a lot of sexist assholes use that language to mean that. I'm not saying you're trying to associate with those people, but your words mimic theirs and you should be aware of the baggage and implications those words carry.

The police should take the allegations seriously and bring the guy in for questioning. If his story is as bullet proof as he says, it should be pretty open and shut. But the important part is that the allegations should always be taken seriously and not dismissed out of hand.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ilkhan posted:

Sucks for him. I hope she gets nailed with filing a false police report, but we all know that won't happen. Believe all women!

lol I knew who posted this before I read the name

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I leave my doors unlocked because I'm more afraid of my soft top being slashed than them stealing my $50 head unit or the $30 emergency toolkit in my glovebox

KillHour posted:

The issue is that there is a huge social stigma against rape victims. The "believe all women" slogan is to say "take these allegations seriously" not "don't have an investigation." There's a long history of this stuff being swept under the carpet and we just saw a high profile example of that attitude in the Kavanaugh hearings. "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't mean "assume the woman is lying," but a lot of sexist assholes use that language to mean that. I'm not saying you're trying to associate with those people, but your words mimic theirs and you should be aware of the baggage and implications those words carry.

The police should take the allegations seriously and bring the guy in for questioning. If his story is as bullet proof as he says, it should be pretty open and shut. But the important part is that the allegations should always be taken seriously and not dismissed out of hand.

That's the important part, he is presumed innocent. Since he was directly accused, it's 100% reasonable to question him and would be irresponsible to not question him. If he was immediately charged, then there's a problem

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
There's also a horrifically low conviction rate of rape cases, so it's not like there's a flood of men being railroaded on false accusations when rape & sexual assault goes largely unpunished.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

If he was immediately charged, then there's a problem

This didn't happen and there is no reason to believe it will happen, so ilkhan handwringing about it is just an excuse to be sexist and lovely.

E: Sorry about your truck, Powershift.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 25, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Vague-ish details/update

He works for a pretty major company with offices around the world. He is traveling on business. He has HUNDREDS of alibis. Plane tickets, hotels, receipts, meetings etc. So he isn't worried about that. He has already retained a lawyer and is flying home early to combat this. He's still a little worried that he'll be arrested when he gets off the plane.

The hell they will. He's got a two day head start on them, which is more than he needs. He's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got a signed confession already.

y'all still believe this BS?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KillHour posted:

Then the solution is to eliminate the social stigma so they can come forward promptly and with evidence (bruising, DNA, etc). Which is what happens in any other crime. Too often sexual assault comes down to he-said/she-said because the event happened behind closed doors and days/weeks/months/years in the past, which is as far from justice as anything can get for whichever party is the victim. Nobody is saying the thing should be dismissed out of hand. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't mean the other party is lying. It does mean you need evidence to ruin someone's life.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

That's the important part, he is presumed innocent. Since he was directly accused, it's 100% reasonable to question him and would be irresponsible to not question him. If he was immediately charged, then there's a problem

Tbh it would be dumb to question him at all about anything other than charging her with a false report. And i would be insulted if they picked me up at the airport after arriving home from across the pond, obviously having nothing to do with the accusation.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Tbh it would be dumb to question him at all about anything other than charging her with a false report. And i would be insulted if they picked me up at the airport after arriving home from across the pond, obviously having nothing to do with the accusation.

When I say questioning, I mean more like a detective calling and saying "we'd like you to come down to the station and talk" and less of the "detained and questioned" kind of thing. I know which is far more common, but I still hope it's the former

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone else asked him why he thinks they'd be waiting for him at the airport if they dont know that he's coming home early. That's actually a good point. Unless his lawyer has made initial contact they probably dont even know he's out of the country yet.
This isnt even the first false assault accusation I've been in orbit of. Last year a very close friend of mine was accused by his estranged wife of throwing her down a flight of stairs and prior to that she said he tried kicking her front door in. Both times he wasnt in the state. Pretty sure I posted about that one when it was going on.

If anyone has any insight into why I am a magnet for other people's bullshit I'd love to hear it. I dont even go out anymore. I haven't even made a new friend in years.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I can probably go one better here... One of my exes had a sleep rape fetish which I never indulged because that poo poo's too loving weird for me but this is an important thing to note for what follows. On occasion I go on holidays with my lady friends because sometimes I want to lay by a pool in the sunshine and get trashed and they're very good at both. The last time I went on one it was all pre-arranged before I met the girl I was seeing. Anyway, I go on this holiday, spend most of my time adding vodka to the slushy machine and generally getting really hot before cooling off in the pool.

When I return all is well. Several months later I break up with my girlfriend and she goes about messaging quite a lot of my friends, mostly the women, talking about how she new I was sleeping with them all (which in itself is hilarious). Anyway, she messages one of the girls I went on holiday with, the one who is married. And says that I raped her. The friend I was on holiday with. In her sleep. Because that's what I do. "My friend was like riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, yeah, of course, I probably would've woken up..." *block*

Some women are really loving weird.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Someone else asked him why he thinks they'd be waiting for him at the airport if they dont know that he's coming home early. That's actually a good point. Unless his lawyer has made initial contact they probably dont even know he's out of the country yet.
This isnt even the first false assault accusation I've been in orbit of. Last year a very close friend of mine was accused by his estranged wife of throwing her down a flight of stairs and prior to that she said he tried kicking her front door in. Both times he wasnt in the state. Pretty sure I posted about that one when it was going on.

If anyone has any insight into why I am a magnet for other people's bullshit I'd love to hear it. I dont even go out anymore. I haven't even made a new friend in years.

It's because anyone that stays in Fort Wayne is not going to ever contribute anything. Fort Wayne is nothing but an insurance company office space, GM plant and sadness. No offense, it's got a nice make believe suburbia, but everyone that I know that amounted to anything from High School moved out long ago. Those that stayed are universally terrible and/or bad people that haven't amounted to anything, because there's no place to move upwards in Ft. Wayne. You got lucky.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a pretty good point but I'm friends with Cat Terrorist, who doesnt even live on this continent and has the worst person ever.

:D

Seriously though, a lot has changed here. It isnt the hopeless suck hole it used to be.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I had the new wheels and tires mounted on the Avalon at 11:00AM. I wasn't able to drive it properly until almost 2:00PM. They bolted up fine with no clearance issues with the suspension. Wanna guess what the issue was?

The hub of the wheel was interfering with the brake caliper bracket by about 3mm. I ended up grinding some of the bracket, then doing a couple drive cycles to let it self-machine. It's at a point of the wheel where there's a huge amount of stock, so I'm not worried about removing a couple mm, but god drat, what a pain in the rear end. Looks really good now, though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Never thought I'd witness a man draw his last breath, nor see my father cry. RIP, Grandpa.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Never thought I'd witness a man draw his last breath, nor see my father cry. RIP, Grandpa.

Those are tough days. Goondolences. :glomp:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
He was an amazing man. His parents emigrated from Italy to Quebec in the 1920s, and he was fluent in Italian, French, and English. Was a member of the Sheet Metal Workers International Association for over 75 years (began his apprenticeship at age 14). Moved to Akron and then Mansfield, where he began a whirlwind romance with newly-widowed Grandma, and married her in '78. Was tirelessly devoted to her until her death in 2012. He took me in as his own, but the care he gave her meant more to me than anything (Dad feels the same way, hence the tears). He wasn't my real grandfather, but for over 40 years, he was Grandpa to me.

E: He also served in the RCAF at the tail end of WWII.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 25, 2019

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Condolences, Dagen. It sounds like he lived a long and fulfilling life.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
He was felled by a stroke last January, and lived out his days in a nursing home. He did quite well for a while (aside from dementia and hearing loss setting in), but went downhill fast the last couple weeks. It's soul-crushing to hear someone ask a nurse to "please help me die".

Kazinsal posted:

Condolences, Dagen. It sounds like he lived a long and fulfilling life.

He was 4 months shy of his 91st birthday, and had no regrets.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

That's a pretty good point but I'm friends with Cat Terrorist, who doesnt even live on this continent and has the worst person ever.

:D

Confirmed

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Otherwise today Im in Murderers Gully at a MTB flow section photographing a Pro MTB event. Not a bad way to spend a late Autumn morning

casque
Mar 17, 2009

meatpimp posted:

It's because anyone that stays in Fort Wayne is not going to ever contribute anything. Fort Wayne is nothing but an insurance company office space, GM plant and sadness. No offense, it's got a nice make believe suburbia, but everyone that I know that amounted to anything from High School moved out long ago. Those that stayed are universally terrible and/or bad people that haven't amounted to anything, because there's no place to move upwards in Ft. Wayne. You got lucky.

Pretty sure the same could be said about anywhere in Indiana. Bloomington might be a possible exception.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

He was an amazing man. His parents emigrated from Italy to Quebec in the 1920s, and he was fluent in Italian, French, and English. Was a member of the Sheet Metal Workers International Association for over 75 years (began his apprenticeship at age 14). Moved to Akron and then Mansfield, where he began a whirlwind romance with newly-widowed Grandma, and married her in '78. Was tirelessly devoted to her until her death in 2012. He took me in as his own, but the care he gave her meant more to me than anything (Dad feels the same way, hence the tears). He wasn't my real grandfather, but for over 40 years, he was Grandpa to me.

E: He also served in the RCAF at the tail end of WWII.

RIP. Sounds like a hell of a life. I'm sorry to hear.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

meatpimp posted:

I'm pretty sure the same could be said of the entire Mid-west region.
Just let the robots take over farming and leave the rest of the land as a nature preserve or something.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm pretty sure the same could be said of the entire Mid-west region.
Just let the robots take over farming and leave the rest of the land as a nature preserve or something.

You know the "Midwest" includes the entire Great Lakes region, including Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland, right?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'll give you Chicago and Detroit.

But the point still stands for Cleveland :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ExplodingSims posted:

But the point still stands for Cleveland :colbert:

Indeed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Show of hands of people who have actually been to Cleveland.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm from Buffalo and I don't get the Cleveland hate. It's not an amazing city, but it's perfectly fine.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

A good chunk of my dad's family lives in Cleveland and they're the kind of people meatpimp described.

I dunno, I'm sure Cleveland is a fine place, but the few times I've visited, it just seemed kinda boring.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Dagen H posted:

Condolences, sounds like he was one hell of a man. I lost my last living grandparent two weeks ago. One week she's driving school bus, at 90, an a week later she was gone. Hit us all really hard. Drove for 49 drat years with no accidents, they had her bus at the funeral and we all did a lap of the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm from a city in the midwest that isn't utter poo poo, but they also have military industry, good jobs in food manufacturing, and multiple colleges and stuff there. Also largely democrat so instead of just stealing the tax money they use it on improving the place, I dunno if that matters or not, I guess maybe in another 60 years we'll see if trickle-down works or not, the lucky part is the planet will be dead in 40 so no one will ever know!

Also women who claim rape are definitely lying - a good opinion