Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Do the trick where you unassign hunter huts when they’ve brought in their food and assign them to other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Anyone got any good advice for The Refugees on survivor mode? Just starting out I immediately fall into a starvation spiral, because pulling people off my workforce to be hunters means I can't afford to build much else, including more hunter huts. I think I'm just going to have to let a lot of people die, but I'd rather avoid that if I can.

There's a huge cache of food out in frostland that can let you cheese (lol) your food situation for quite awhile. I think that's almost necessary to get asap unless you have, like, perfect micromanagement skills.

iirc it's almost always only a couple stops from your city, to the west

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Bogart posted:

Do the trick where you unassign hunter huts when they’ve brought in their food and assign them to other stuff.

They patched this out a whule ago.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This game is crap then

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nah that trick was always bullshit, I'm glad that it was removed

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

There's a huge cache of food out in frostland that can let you cheese (lol) your food situation for quite awhile. I think that's almost necessary to get asap unless you have, like, perfect micromanagement skills.

iirc it's almost always only a couple stops from your city, to the west

I just tried that. It took me to the end of day 4 to reach the cannery. It is a fuckton of food, but by the time I brought it back my people were already dying of starvation and sickness. The upfront cost is just too high to try to rush it. Good idea, but it doesn't work in survivor mode.

e: though I did figure out that getting tents up ASAP doesn't reduce the number of sick I get on the first night, so that's pretty valuable information. If I delay tents until the second night, I can get a hunters hut up ASAP to get the food rolling.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 25, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I just tried that. It took me to the end of day 4 to reach the cannery. It is a fuckton of food, but by the time I brought it back my people were already dying of starvation and sickness. The upfront cost is just too high to try to rush it. Good idea, but it doesn't work in survivor mode.

it's what I used when I beat survivor mode, twice. You need to get your scouts out sooner.

e:

Fister Roboto posted:

e: though I did figure out that getting tents up ASAP doesn't reduce the number of sick I get on the first night, so that's pretty valuable information. If I delay tents until the second night, I can get a hunters hut up ASAP to get the food rolling.

Build tents when your people ask for them, for the hope bonus. Only run the generator at night, to conserve coal so that you can put more people on wood

I think Survivor Refugees is the only scenario where I absolutely had to take child labor. Those early days are just that brutal

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 25, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I literally got them out as soon as possible. I didn't build anything aside from the workshop and beacon. Just gathering all the resources for it took until the end of the second day.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I literally got them out as soon as possible. I didn't build anything aside from the workshop and beacon.

But how quickly are you building those structures? Are you using emergency shifts to crank out the beacon research on the first night? Are you really collecting wood and steel as quickly as you can?

In my experience, if you get the scouts out quickly enough and run straight to the cannery and back then you don't even need to build that first hunter's hut. But you do need a cookhouse, to convert the raw food that you start with (and then iirc I'd actually break mine down, to recover the wood and get my scouts out faster)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

But how quickly are you building those structures? Are you using emergency shifts to crank out the beacon research on the first night? Are you really collecting wood and steel as quickly as you can?

In my experience, if you get the scouts out quickly enough and run straight to the cannery and back then you don't even need to build that first hunter's hut. But you do need a cookhouse, to convert the raw food that you start with (and then iirc I'd actually break mine down, to recover the wood and get my scouts out faster)

Yes, I am absolutely certain that I'm doing things as quickly as possible. Even with 24 hour shifts every where and child labor, the soonest I can get the beacon up is late in day 2. Also the position of the cannery is random so I can't always go straight there. On my latest attempt I didn't even find it until day 4, and didn't reach it at all before I got a game over from too much discontent.

Are you really sure you did this on survivor mode?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.reddit.com/r/Frostpunk/comments/9q1yoo/finally_cleared_the_refugees_survival_mode/

Maybe this'll help.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just did another attempt, made it eight whole days without ever finding the cannery. I don't think that relying on rushing it is a very good strategy!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I just did another attempt, made it eight whole days without ever finding the cannery. I don't think that relying on rushing it is a very good strategy!

Okay, I just started a new game, it's day 6 and I never even saw the cannery. But my food situation is peachy despite that, because my scouts found enough raw food that I was able to more than sufficiently feed everyone using that + Soup (Refugees has tons of food on its map, you just need to go get it)

You should have scouts out before the end of day 2, send them to the West because there's always food (raw or processed) in that direction, then have them come back after hitting only a few locations (I did a little loop of 5 locations). By the start of day 6 my populace are fully fed (plus I get the hope bonus from selecting the Stockpile Rations option when my people were starving), I'm on Power Generation 2, all of my sick are cared for thanks to overcrowding, and only a few orphans are stuck working in cold conditions cause building a 4th gathering post for that location would be aesthetically displeasing and because I'm saving those resources for my first Wall Drill

Relying on rushed scouts is a great strategy for Survivor mode on all of the maps, because scouts are by far the most efficient means of gathering resources. I wouldn't have anywhere near this much food if I was relying solely on hunter huts (of which I have 2 anyway).

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

The cannery is a good strategy but you can live without it and you are going too hard on rushing for scouts by the sound of things.

Frostpunk on the higher difficulties is all about the early game, you need to refine your build order and shepherd your resources very carefully for the first few days. It's been long enough since I played this that I can't tell you my exact build order but I have a lot of general advice:

Delete roads you don't need at the start for free wood
Only run the generator at night until the temperature drops
Pass laws on cooldown (start with child labour and then the two shift laws), build a workshop as soon as you can and always be researching from there (I usually go faster gathering -> sawmill -> beacon)
Never take people off shift at resource producing jobs to build, you can get all your construction done between the end of shift and bed time
You need to keep your people healthy and alive to keep collecting resources so:
  • build a medical post the first evening
  • get people out of the snow and in to gathering posts during the work day as soon as you can, and research heaters fairly early
  • Only use emergency shift on the first workshop the first night, and turn the building off for a few hours in the early morning so hopefully none of your engineers die
Un-assign and re-assign all of your workers at 4:00 AM and all of the sick workers will be in whichever job you re-assign last
Put off tents as long as you can stand the discontent, much more important to get gathering posts, medical posts, a cookhouse, a sawmill or two, and have wood for research

If you do just want a build order I streamed myself playing Refugees but it was a year ago and before survival difficulty existed: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/264061622

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I was looking more for a build order, thanks. I already know all those tricks for keeping things efficient, plus a few others. Like how you can send sick people on scouting expeditions. They'll still be sick when you eventually disband the expedition, but they won't get sicker or die while they're out there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
One notable thing about emergency shift is I have never ever ever had someone die from it if I used it on a gathering pile on the first day. Makes for a really nice shot in the arm of wood/etc because you can deplete the pile in the first 24 hours.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

One notable thing about emergency shift is I have never ever ever had someone die from it if I used it on a gathering pile on the first day. Makes for a really nice shot in the arm of wood/etc because you can deplete the pile in the first 24 hours.

I think in general you're not supposed to get any deaths from the first use of it, and then the second use of it seems to always kill someone unless you do careful worker management to avoid the specific times when an emergency death shift can occur (but I think this isn't worth that hassle).

I usually use it on my first workshop, to get those crucial early-game techs out earlier, and then never hit the button again

Jamsque posted:

The cannery is a good strategy but you can live without it and you are going too hard on rushing for scouts by the sound of things.

Frostpunk on the higher difficulties is all about the early game, you need to refine your build order and shepherd your resources very carefully for the first few days. It's been long enough since I played this that I can't tell you my exact build order but I have a lot of general advice:

Delete roads you don't need at the start for free wood
Only run the generator at night until the temperature drops
Pass laws on cooldown (start with child labour and then the two shift laws), build a workshop as soon as you can and always be researching from there (I usually go faster gathering -> sawmill -> beacon)
Never take people off shift at resource producing jobs to build, you can get all your construction done between the end of shift and bed time
You need to keep your people healthy and alive to keep collecting resources so:
  • build a medical post the first evening
  • get people out of the snow and in to gathering posts during the work day as soon as you can, and research heaters fairly early
  • Only use emergency shift on the first workshop the first night, and turn the building off for a few hours in the early morning so hopefully none of your engineers die
Un-assign and re-assign all of your workers at 4:00 AM and all of the sick workers will be in whichever job you re-assign last
Put off tents as long as you can stand the discontent, much more important to get gathering posts, medical posts, a cookhouse, a sawmill or two, and have wood for research

If you do just want a build order I streamed myself playing Refugees but it was a year ago and before survival difficulty existed: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/264061622

I think that sawmills are almost a trap tech; they're fine and all, but each map has plenty of wood crates to get you to Wall Drills while still taking care of early-game housing, medical, etc. They provide a lot more wood per worker, too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

I think in general you're not supposed to get any deaths from the first use of it, and then the second use of it seems to always kill someone unless you do careful worker management to avoid the specific times when an emergency death shift can occur (but I think this isn't worth that hassle).

I usually use it on my first workshop, to get those crucial early-game techs out earlier, and then never hit the button again

I think that sawmills are almost a trap tech; they're fine and all, but each map has plenty of wood crates to get you to Wall Drills while still taking care of early-game housing, medical, etc. They provide a lot more wood per worker, too.

I never get saw mills or flying hunters or charcoal kilns. Wall drills and coal mines/thumpers are always more than enough.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I also don't bother with kilns. They're pretty effective at what they do, but most maps have more than enough workers to get all of your coal from thumpers

I do tend to go for flying hunters though. But not hothouses

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah I also don't bother with kilns. They're pretty effective at what they do, but most maps have more than enough workers to get all of your coal from thumpers

I do tend to go for flying hunters though. But not hothouses

Hothouses are really bad in my opinion. You need to keep them warm, they cost a steam core, they take up a lot of space, they don't really produce a LOT of food, etc. I'd much, much rather just have a gently caress load of hunters' huts and have my steam cores be generating a constant supply of coal/wood/steel and have my citizens safe and warm in their homes and praying away their hunger/frostbite.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, the steam core requirement is killer.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I am going to be /extremely/ happy if this happens lol

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I seem to be the only person who likes sawmills, I completely see the advantages of wall drills but I don't agree that there are enough wood crates all the time. I go for sawmills because I chew through the wood crates in the first few days and I end up with idle workers and not enough wood right around the time that I could have sawmills researched. Also, steam cores.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That first steamcore is earmarked for a wall drill, 100% of the time. It doesn't even matter that I could build something else with it, cause I'm definitely building a wall drill

And once that decision is set the research goes Scouts -> Faster Gathering -> Level 2 techs -> Wall Drill

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jokes posted:

Hothouses are really bad in my opinion. You need to keep them warm, they cost a steam core, they take up a lot of space, they don't really produce a LOT of food, etc. I'd much, much rather just have a gently caress load of hunters' huts and have my steam cores be generating a constant supply of coal/wood/steel and have my citizens safe and warm in their homes and praying away their hunger/frostbite.

Also hunter huts don't suffer efficiency losses for hunters being treated for sickness, for some reason.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also hunter huts don't suffer efficiency losses for hunters being treated for sickness, for some reason.

The sick hunters are used as bait.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Steam cores are used for wall drills first, and then for automatons to work the drills so you don’t need to heat them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-kClSmp0yI

shiet.

this looks like a minor update rather than a big expansion, but for 5bux i know what i'm gonna be playing tonight

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The second expansion, titled The Last Autumn, is planned to be the most expensive one. Sounds like it'll be a Winterhome-style game, but one where everything starts out good and then becomes progressively worse and worse, probably until you just lose entirely.

I'm looking forward to trying the Rifts and might just buy the season pass because I anticipate wanting to play all 3 things anyway, so may as well grab the 30% discount

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

has anyone tried the rifts yet? a random map but with ~bridges~ doesn't really sound worth it to me, but maybe theres more to it?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Davincie posted:

has anyone tried the rifts yet? a random map but with ~bridges~ doesn't really sound worth it to me, but maybe theres more to it?

I’ve tried it. It sets up interesting choices - the area is divided into a LOT of islands, and each bridge is hella expensive (200 wood + 100 iron!) so you need to make deliberate expansion decisions - do you want the steam cores on this island, or the iron deposit on this one, or the coal deposits on this one?

$5 for a reason to throw another four hours into the game with some interesting decisions is fine by me.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
This guide I was watching is all about postponing beacon / expeditions for as long as possible while making sure the city is sustainable first. Is that a viable strategy, or should I be rushing for expeditions asap as another guide suggests?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st26pN26aIg

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you postpone the beacon, the giant death storm will still come at the same eventual time, and an almost dead guy from Winterhome will collapse outside of your city bringing the bad news anyway, so I say, build that beacon and get reinforcements as soon as you like.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Made it to a pretty sustainable place on medium, researched almost all of the tech, upgraded all of the houses. Is there any reason for me to be accepting more refugees once those events start to happen, if I can handle the discontent through my religion? It's just extra mouths to feed for no jobs I can give them, the automatons are doing most of the work anyway.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
If you are happy condemning children to slow death by hypothermia and starvation then yeah, there is no reason to accept them.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 29, 2019

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Jamsque posted:

If you are happy condensing children to slow death by hypothermia and starvation then yeah, there is no reason to accept them.

It doesn't look like the game does much to incentivize you to grow your population beyond having to fill the basic jobs and then beyond having to contain discontent. I guess I wish there was another mechanic in place to make it more worthwhile, otherwise a player in my situation will just reject new refugees and spam prayer to keep things under control. I'm sure on hard mode you need the extra people a lot more since you lose your population more regularly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You may feel guilty about it but turning away refugees to save the ones you can is an option that the game does not otherwise penalize you for. That kind of nasty decision is what the Winterhome scenario is all about...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

It doesn't look like the game does much to incentivize you to grow your population beyond having to fill the basic jobs and then beyond having to contain discontent. I guess I wish there was another mechanic in place to make it more worthwhile, otherwise a player in my situation will just reject new refugees and spam prayer to keep things under control. I'm sure on hard mode you need the extra people a lot more since you lose your population more regularly.

The whole gimmick at release was that morality was supposed to play a role in your decision-making. You let them die even though you had plenty of resources to take them in? Good job there, Hitler. Or, if you don't have the resources to spare, then it's an opportunity to think about the gravity of this kind of choice; you're basically killing these people, but if you let them in then a lot more would die.

That said in The Refugees scenario there is a mechanic for dealing with the people who you send away, and the scenario changes significantly if that's what you choose; namely, they found their own city nearby, and you'll get events related to people from the lords' camp begging for and later stealing your stuff. Then you either need to fortify your city, or you can hand out weapons to your citizens and they'll go slaughter the lords' camp. But this is another morality choice; it is a lot easier and less costly to let your people kill the lords than to fortify your city.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Yeah, it doesn't look like morality makes much of a difference the whole game with exception for the final credits where it says "you crossed the line", womp.

With the purpose law trees, am I NOT supposed to pick the final law that turns the city into a totalitarian regime? Is that something you intentionally want to avoid if you want "the best ending"?

Also, finally finished a new home on medium, it was definitely pretty easy towards the end, steam cores was the thing that I ran out of since I made a ton of automata and coal mines. Although I had so many resources piling up, despite accepting every refugee, that I spend the last 20% of the game building giant resource depots to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

Yeah, it doesn't look like morality makes much of a difference the whole game with exception for the final credits where it says "you crossed the line", womp.

With the purpose law trees, am I NOT supposed to pick the final law that turns the city into a totalitarian regime? Is that something you intentionally want to avoid if you want "the best ending"?

Pretty much, although whether you crossed the line actually judges quite a bit lower than the final law. Just because you can sign a law doesn't mean you're supposed to, and they're not meant to be straightforward progress.