Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I am getting back into Diablo 2 after quite a few years of not touching it. I never really took a character past level 30 in the past or worked on specific builds, but now I'm interested in doing so. I know it's a vague question but what is a solid beginner character build (any class, I'm open to suggestions) that is less gear-centric and more skill reliant? I'd like to have as much fun with a self-found character as possible.

Minion Necro is the laziest, slowest, and chillest of builds. Minimal clicking, just do the tether game and watch skelly dudes zip around and do your work for you, while avoiding rushing into a pile of enemies like everyone else does. Dump your stats into vitality to survive the occasional "oops I ran into a bad guy" mistake.

You can play normal difficulty much like nightmare and hell, in that you can be extremely picky about what loot/gear you want to bother picking up.

Of course there'll be some shopping tricks because you want gear that increase the amount of skelly buddies you can raise, but that's reserved for "I NEED to max out" folks as opposed to "nah man, I'm good, my minions got this" folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I did that on hardcore and then I looked away from the screen for a few seconds and died in act 1 hell

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

feelix posted:

I did that on hardcore and then I looked away from the screen for a few seconds and died in act 1 hell

The takeaway for me here is that you made it to hell with a minimal effort pet build. This might be the way I go then. I don't plan to play HC anyway. I'm going to rub myself into Diablo all night long!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

chaosapiant posted:

The takeaway for me here is that you made it to hell with a minimal effort pet build. This might be the way I go then. I don't plan to play HC anyway. I'm going to rub myself into Diablo all night long!

True. The only nuance is that you must get the relevant utility skills ASAP. If you end up at Chaos Sanctuary without Decrepify and Summon Resist, you're hosed

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm eyeballing the Eastern Sun mod. I ain't ever played no mods in D2 before. Is there a way to play that mod along with maybe a hi resolution mod?

Edit: Disregard, looks like there is a lot of fuckery involved with these overhaul mods and even widescreen mod looks troublesome on the latest version of the game. I'll just play vanilla like god intended.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 13, 2019

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
For the person who wanted to do a new build, Lighting Zeal Pally was always fun to me. You don't need a whole lot of great gear but tons of damage output.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Mooseontheloose posted:

For the person who wanted to do a new build, Lighting Zeal Pally was always fun to me. You don't need a whole lot of great gear but tons of damage output.

With the added bonus that eventually you can power it up to Ridiculous once you get hold of a couple of Dream items.

(Aura items in general are always hilarious.)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm in act 2 now, and focusing on a skelesummon Necro. One QoL feature I miss from D3 is that skeletons are auto summoned. My squishy necro is a very efficient killer when his summons are out, but I have to actually kill a few things first to get them. Makes the first 2-3 minutes whenever I log in pretty crucial. I do think that D2's punishment for dying was better than D3's. In D3 there is pretty much zero repercussion for dying, unless you play HC. Which isn't usually my bag when the game need an always online connection. But having to go retrieve my corpse to pick up my poo poo is a pretty good incentive to not die.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

I'm in act 2 now, and focusing on a skelesummon Necro. One QoL feature I miss from D3 is that skeletons are auto summoned. My squishy necro is a very efficient killer when his summons are out, but I have to actually kill a few things first to get them. Makes the first 2-3 minutes whenever I log in pretty crucial. I do think that D2's punishment for dying was better than D3's. In D3 there is pretty much zero repercussion for dying, unless you play HC. Which isn't usually my bag when the game need an always online connection. But having to go retrieve my corpse to pick up my poo poo is a pretty good incentive to not die.
You can save+exit and just grab it in town.

Make sure your mercenary has decent gear and he'll get the first few kills for you. Mercs are stronger than summons.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I liked going full chaos necromancer, all in on summons and throwing confuse and attract on everything.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Summon necro in general is one of the safest builds to go with, and can be strong with cheap gear. Your first character should really be one to be able to feed gear to other characters.
(Hell, necromancer in general is probably the safest class in the game, the AI-modifying curses are THE most powerful skills that exist.)

It scales up well to be absolutely ridiculous as well at the top end of gear.

Edit: All this talk has got me replaying this, and I forgot how hilarious some of the endgame equipment is. Amazon with Brand and Delirium? WHOOSHWHOOSHWHOOSHWHOOSH LOOK I'M A NECROMANCER TOO WHOOSHWHOOSHWHOOSHWHOOSH

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 3, 2019

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I've been playing again for the first time in 10 or more years, up to nightmare act iv.

I'm playing a blizzard sorc and thought I would respec to add a bit more dex for max block. I have clicked something that's added all points to dex and wouldn't let me change.

I'm pretty much screwed until I reach hell now, right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
you should get three respecs - one per completion of the Den of Evil quest, per difficulty?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

BoonyPC posted:

I've been playing again for the first time in 10 or more years, up to nightmare act iv.

I'm playing a blizzard sorc and thought I would respec to add a bit more dex for max block. I have clicked something that's added all points to dex and wouldn't let me change.

I'm pretty much screwed until I reach hell now, right?
You held shift or control or some modifier key.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Khorne posted:

You held shift or control or some modifier key.

Yea I held one thinking it would be like diablo 3 and add a few but instead just dumped them all into dex.

Bit of a pain as I can't wear half my gear until I get the Strength required.

Still, I can kill stuff and doesnt seem overly tough.

Block is maxed though lol

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
2019 Diablo 2: Max Dex meta.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Olpainless posted:

With the added bonus that eventually you can power it up to Ridiculous once you get hold of a couple of Dream items.

(Aura items in general are always hilarious.)

My favorite build ever was a paladin with Dream runeword helm and shield (lvl 15 holy shock each, adds to level 30) and Dragon runeword body armor/Hand of Justice runeword weapon (level 14 holy fire and level 16 holy fire, adds to level 30). For my actual active skill aura I maxed conviction (lower enemy elemental resist A LOT) and a mix of charge/zeal for left click attacking. The holy fire/freeze/shock auras are amazing with conviction, but you can't have both active at once unless you're using end-game runeword items.

You would just straight up clear an entire screen of enemies each time the AoE tick of holy fire/shock went off. It was also super dickish for PVP, because if you stood anywhere near the town entrance people couldn't corpse run at all. You didn't need to attack them or move or anything. Just being there meant they would die instantly leaving town when you were so far away that you were off the screen.

The other really dickish PVP build I remember was a druid with maxed grizzly/spirit of barbs (and runewords to grant thorns aura? I forget if that worked while you were standing in town). You'd stand safely inside town, with your summoned grizzly and spirit of thorns trundled around just outside. A lot of builds would die if they attacked your grizzly with physical/melee skills, because their damage was so high and the spirit of barbs/thorns aura reflected it at like 500% damage or something. You could ignore the bear, it didn't do a lot of damage attacking you. But if you clicked on it and attacked, you'd kill yourself. Then when you tried to get your corpse back, naked, the bear could actually kill you on its own. This entire time the druid is sitting safe in town, probably afk. You kill the bear? He just summons another one. Over and over. Sometimes you'd catch low health characters fleeing into town using charge or leap or whatever, and they'd accidentally click the bear and oops you have kill you'are self.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BoonyPC posted:

Yea I held one thinking it would be like diablo 3 and add a few but instead just dumped them all into dex.

Bit of a pain as I can't wear half my gear until I get the Strength required.

Still, I can kill stuff and doesnt seem overly tough.

Block is maxed though lol

You can fix it as long as you're playing on patch 1.13 or later. Just speak to Akara in act one and respec.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

WITCHCRAFT posted:

My favorite build ever was a paladin with Dream runeword helm and shield (lvl 15 holy shock each, adds to level 30) and Dragon runeword body armor/Hand of Justice runeword weapon (level 14 holy fire and level 16 holy fire, adds to level 30). For my actual active skill aura I maxed conviction (lower enemy elemental resist A LOT) and a mix of charge/zeal for left click attacking. The holy fire/freeze/shock auras are amazing with conviction, but you can't have both active at once unless you're using end-game runeword items.

You would just straight up clear an entire screen of enemies each time the AoE tick of holy fire/shock went off. It was also super dickish for PVP, because if you stood anywhere near the town entrance people couldn't corpse run at all. You didn't need to attack them or move or anything. Just being there meant they would die instantly leaving town when you were so far away that you were off the screen.

The other really dickish PVP build I remember was a druid with maxed grizzly/spirit of barbs (and runewords to grant thorns aura? I forget if that worked while you were standing in town). You'd stand safely inside town, with your summoned grizzly and spirit of thorns trundled around just outside. A lot of builds would die if they attacked your grizzly with physical/melee skills, because their damage was so high and the spirit of barbs/thorns aura reflected it at like 500% damage or something. You could ignore the bear, it didn't do a lot of damage attacking you. But if you clicked on it and attacked, you'd kill yourself. Then when you tried to get your corpse back, naked, the bear could actually kill you on its own. This entire time the druid is sitting safe in town, probably afk. You kill the bear? He just summons another one. Over and over. Sometimes you'd catch low health characters fleeing into town using charge or leap or whatever, and they'd accidentally click the bear and oops you have kill you'are self.

Oh man, Townbear was a classic Dick Move.

And yeah, double Dream/Dragon/HoJ was stupidly powerful, there's not a thing in the game that isn't going to get damaged. Amusingly enough as well, there was/is an unusual bug with the runeword aura items that meant they applied the radial damage once for each item, so with a stack of them you'd actually get decent radial damage too (x2 for each) - it was enough to at least be noticable in Hell.

You know, I do wish they'd do a final content patch at some point and enable some of the more interesting mods/cast on x/auras and oskills (even if at low levels) on magic/rare items as affixes. Aura amulets and oskill rings, for instance, sounds... actually fairly right, %elemental on items wouldn't be bad (gloves seem like a good fit for this as a affix) and who doesn't love crazy builds?

If not, I'm just gonna end up looking at how to mod this drat thing for single player and make that possible (I use a slightly improved drop mod, that basically just makes TC fall down less likely, that feels fair - cannot remember for the life of me where I found it, though.)

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Resurgence mod (community is on reddit) is basically that; more chance to cast/more oskill items, niche uniques to enable new builds; more endgame content for level 75+ characters with good gear. It really feels like continued patching of Diablo 2 rather than a rework of the system. They have even nerfed some of the overpowered items that everyone that wasn't running self-found would use every single time.

It's a small community, and servers can get pretty low population towards the end of each update. All the regulars are real good people though, they'll help you level and donate items if you are bereft of shiny baubles. I've played it on and off for several years now and it always scratches that classic D2 itch with new content and zero spambots. There's even a bunch of low level items that let you play a completely new build as your first walk-through character at level one with new or buffed abilities.

The biggest endorsement I can give is that D2 was like my prime hours-wasting teen MMORPG, and this feels like Blizzard never stopped updating and there's just new content and rebalanced items totally in-line with 1.10-1.13 era Diablo 2 LoD. There's more stuff, it's new, but it feels right.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 19, 2019

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Okay, Resurgence looks stupidly competent, I like that they've put an emphasis on area effect and cone attacks for those classes, that lacked them in certain situations. Paladins only having Zeal as a way to hit multiple things in melee has always been terrible, and they've changed the effective, but insanely boring Vengeance to an area effect.

Also, the new items looks like a nice mix of what's interesting in Path of Exile and Diablo 3's gear, excellent.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
As nice as that looks (And it is looking pretty well done) it still does something I really dislike with most of these, which is the ridiculous add on systems and all that... it's not something I want to faff with (and is a bit bad for balance because it pretty much just encourages hoarding the addons for that Perfect Drop).

I just want to see more of the interesting properties spread around everywhere.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

Okay, Resurgence looks stupidly competent, I like that they've put an emphasis on area effect and cone attacks for those classes, that lacked them in certain situations. Paladins only having Zeal as a way to hit multiple things in melee has always been terrible, and they've changed the effective, but insanely boring Vengeance to an area effect.

Also, the new items looks like a nice mix of what's interesting in Path of Exile and Diablo 3's gear, excellent.
Resurgence used to be "Slash Diablo Events". They've been doing this vanilla but expanded thing for years, started over, etc, and overall it's competently done.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
The most important question though: does it support high rez D2?

E: Put some time in on this, wow it is a lot of fun, thanks

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 19, 2019

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

New Median Sigma ladder on the 26th. They totally reworked the necromancer and I am excited. :D

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Trying to get single player Eastern Sun running, but Diablo II.exe does nothing. I can run Vidtest no problem. Resurgence loads with no issue. To be sure, I also hosed the registry to point to the ES directory. It doesn't error or even save anything to the D*.txt log, it just never runs.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
The funniest/most tragic thing is that they could basically do D2 with better graphics and modern QOL, release it as D4 and make millions and millions and millions, and then again with each expansion.

And they literally can't

E: this is the diablo 2 thread and I'm a dumbass

Mackers fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 24, 2019

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mackers posted:

The funniest/most tragic thing is that they could basically do D2 with better graphics and modern QOL, release it as D4 and make millions and millions and millions, and then again with each expansion.

And they literally can't

E: this is the diablo 2 thread and I'm a dumbass

They cannot

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
At this point it would also have to be better than Path of Exiles because they did p much exactly that and have made that D2 sequel money that was waiting to be scooped up.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

At this point it would also have to be better than Path of Exiles because they did p much exactly that and have made that D2 sequel money that was waiting to be scooped up.

D3 still has better physics and art design, but literally everything else? :tugscollar:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
They need to make it a kind of middle ground between D2 and PoE. The underlying systems need to be more involved than D3 but not overwhelmingly spergy like PoE, but still take a few cues from it and D2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

all they'd have to do to be better than PoE is zoom the camera out

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

all they'd have to do to be better than PoE is zoom the camera out

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Slash diablo ladder is resetting on friday if anyone is down for playing some.

Instead of playing hardcore classic I might play softcore expansion. Or hardcore expansion if anyone wants to play that instead. Doesn't matter to me.

Slash diablo has no drop pretty much disabled so you get a poo poo ton of loot, 1p games are slightly better than 8p for drop rates. That means things that can kill cows are real viable for finding runes.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Man I'm so jealous of those plugy players on utube. After all these years I finally got super sick of the constant lag that is battlenet and I think Ima go play singleplayer. Zero delay on clicking things? Sign my rear end up

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Mr. Pickles posted:

Man I'm so jealous of those plugy players on utube. After all these years I finally got super sick of the constant lag that is battlenet and I think Ima go play singleplayer. Zero delay on clicking things? Sign my rear end up

I played for a year straight with it, such a great experience.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Path of Diablo is having a server reset on August 2nd.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vakal posted:

Path of Diablo is having a server reset on August 2nd.
I'd like to point out that despite its name it's actually more like Diablo II 1.20 than Path of Exile. Its name is a tad unfortunate, because it's pretty much 95% diablo II 5% some neat PoE features added in a very Diablo way.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah, in fact of all the D2 mods I've tried it's the most faithful to the original game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

George posted:

Yeah, in fact of all the D2 mods I've tried it's the most faithful to the original game.

Almost too faithful. I wish they would get a bit more adventurous with boosting low and mid tier skills in order to open up more viable late game builds.