Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m hoping you quoted the wrong post.

Yup. This is what I get for phone posting hungover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbebekos
Jun 6, 2011

taqueso posted:

Has anyone purchased barcodes (UPC/EAN) from a reseller? Who did you use?

To get a block of barcodes directly involves a one-time fee and yearly upkeep, but I found plenty of websites that will sell barcodes from their block for $1 or less each. If there is a better thread for this, let me know.

I don’t know if they’re the best or cheapest, but I’ve been happy with SpeedyBarcodes.com in the past.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips. I didn’t know it was illegal to reimburse required travel, but hat makes sense. Before the migration I was told working from home was something I could do but not until we’re back to full operating capacity, so it’ll be a few more weeks.

We’re also hiring a few people to help with data entry and I’m told they’re going to make me their manager, so that will be nice.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

H110Hawk posted:

Yup. This is what I get for phone posting hungover.

lol

i was like wait what did i do dumb now?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

symbebekos posted:

I don’t know if they’re the best or cheapest, but I’ve been happy with SpeedyBarcodes.com in the past.

That's good enough for me, I just don't want to pick some fly-by-night place. Thanks!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sneakyfrog posted:

lol

i was like wait what did i do dumb now?

Is posting on these here forums not mistake enough?

Thumbtacks posted:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips. I didn’t know it was illegal to reimburse required travel, but hat makes sense.

It's only illegal for them to write it off as a top line business expense on their taxes. If they want to pay you for it they can, they just don't get to say the $100 they paid for your gas was a business expense that they don't owe taxes on. It would likely just be seen as taxable compensation to you.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

That's why my company should send a shuttle or private driver to pick me up.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Honestly the only thing that’s been kind of annoying is that the water situation is worse, instead of a water cooler there’s just a fridge with the built in ice/water thing and it takes a long time to fill up a water bottle (like two minutes), and I have a medical condition so I drink a fuckton of water. I’ll talk to them tomorrow and see if there’s something we can do, idk what but I’m open to anything. I’d rather not bring my own water from home if I can help it

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

H110Hawk posted:

It's only illegal for them to write it off as a top line business expense on their taxes. If they want to pay you for it they can, they just don't get to say the $100 they paid for your gas was a business expense that they don't owe taxes on. It would likely just be seen as taxable compensation to you.

It'd just be compensation to him, which is definitely a deductible business expense for the business/employer. It's not illegal at all. There's nothing stopping an employer from paying you more based upon how much your commute costs. It'd just be included in your W-2 or 1099 as taxable income to you, the employee.

The real discussion here is reimbursement vs income. Both are deductible by the employer. However, only reimbursement is excluded from the employee's own taxable income.

You might be confusing the fact that commuting costs are not deductible expenses for individuals taking non-reimbursed employee business expenses or the like. Don't deduct your commute.

And to be clear, we're just talking about commuting (i.e. the regular travel between your home and place of work). Reimbursement for actual travel expenses is completely valid and normal.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
the Good Thread is in Automotive Insanity at the moment.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

the Good Thread is in Automotive Insanity at the moment.

No need for you to travel all the way there to post.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeesh! Can't wait til we get a new BFC mod. Has it been 6 weeks yet??

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
The company I work for just got bought out by a much bigger company, and it's looking like based on my number of years of service (10+), my number of vacation days per year is going to double.

I'm loving stoked.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is awesome man.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BAE OF PIGS posted:

The company I work for just got bought out by a much bigger company, and it's looking like based on my number of years of service (10+), my number of vacation days per year is going to double.

I'm loving stoked.

They may give you 365!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I don't know if this is the right thread for this. Let me know if not.

I have a bunch of money sitting in a Capital One 360 online savings account. Capital One has sat at ~1% interest for ages. We have enough in the account that moving to something like Ally (2.2%) would actually make a difference.
  • Discover online savings is 2.1% with a $200 sign-up bonus. Does anyone have any personal experience with this one?
  • Ally is 2.2% and seems well-regarded around here.
  • Any other online banking places I should be looking at?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

incogneato posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this. Let me know if not.

I have a bunch of money sitting in a Capital One 360 online savings account. Capital One has sat at ~1% interest for ages. We have enough in the account that moving to something like Ally (2.2%) would actually make a difference.
  • Discover online savings is 2.1% with a $200 sign-up bonus. Does anyone have any personal experience with this one?
  • Ally is 2.2% and seems well-regarded around here.
  • Any other online banking places I should be looking at?

If you have more than $10,000 switching to a capital one 360 money market is 2% if you don't want to go through the bother of changing banks. But I have ally and I'm happy with them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have accounts with both Ally and Discover and they are pretty comparable. They have been keeping pace on interest rates for a while, so expect to see Discover up to 2.2% soon. Ally does do bonuses from time to time (they recently did a 1% cashback up to $1k for all new money added to your account), so imho I would open an account with Discover for the free $200, move over all your cash, then wait for an Ally deal and eventually transition there.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hey BFC, I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a work issue that I'm not really sure how to deal with (read: I'm a big pushover) and I'm hoping you guys can give me some ideas.

So in March I started a minimum wage manual labor job. I was out of work, and coming out of a very bad place (4-5 personal tragedies all at once really hosed me up), so it made sense to take this job. It was a family friend's spouse's family business, so it was a easy way to get back to work ASAP without having to job hunt. I took the job with the idea that I wouldn't be here too long while I searched for something else. However, the job suuucks. Minimum wage, 45 minute commute each way, no medical/retirement, multiple blatant labor law violations, I'm more qualified than my manager (the owner's son), etc. I started off at 5 days a week, but quickly switched to 4 (which they weren't too happy about). About a week ago, I told him I couldn't work Saturdays either (I told them I had other obligations, but honestly my weekends are worth more than minimum wage and I'd rather spend an additional day job hunting than working there), and he said that was OK so long as I worked Saturday this weekend and on holiday weekends. However, I have no interest in working this weekend or any other weekend.

If it weren't for the familial / social ties I'd probably just quit this job, report them for multiple labor law violations, and try to collect unemployment under constructive discharge. However, my manager's spouse is one of my oldest friends, and I'd rather not gently caress with that relationship like that. Also, I'd rather have some form of income while I'm looking for work (even if the job sucks), I'd rather not have to search for another part-time job to hold me over for another few weeks, and I'd rather have current employment while applying to different places.

I don't think talking to my boss about compensation or work conditions is likely to result in anything meaningful, so my availability seems like the only thing I can actually control in this situation. How should I handle this current situation, and this job going forward?

edit: this is probably more of a personal matter that no one else can really answer for me, I just have to figure out for myself. I guess I'm venting about my lovely job just as much as I'm asking for advice.

literally this big fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 21, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

literally this big posted:

Hey BFC, I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a work issue that I'm not really sure how to deal with (read: I'm a big pushover) and I'm hoping you guys can give me some ideas.

So in March I started a minimum wage manual labor job. I was out of work, and coming out of a very bad place (4-5 personal tragedies all at once really hosed me up), so it made sense to take this job. It was a family friend's spouse's family business, so it was a easy way to get back to work ASAP without having to job hunt. I took the job with the idea that I wouldn't be here too long while I searched for something else. However, the job suuucks. Minimum wage, 45 minute commute each way, no medical/retirement, multiple blatant labor law violations, I'm more qualified than my manager (the owner's son), etc. I started off at 5 days a week, but quickly switched to 4 (which they weren't too happy about). About a week ago, I told him I couldn't work Saturdays either (I told them I had other obligations, but honestly my weekends are worth more than minimum wage and I'd rather spend an additional day job hunting than working there), and he said that was OK so long as I worked Saturday this weekend and on holiday weekends. However, I have no interest in working this weekend or any other weekend.

If it weren't for the familial / social ties I'd probably just quit this job, report them for multiple labor law violations, and try to collect unemployment under constructive discharge. However, my manager's spouse is one of my oldest friends, and I'd rather not gently caress with that relationship like that. Also, I'd rather have some form of income while I'm looking for work (even if the job sucks), I'd rather not have to search for another part-time job to hold me over for another few weeks, and I'd rather have current employment while looking for new work.

I don't think talking to my boss about compensation or work conditions is likely to result in anything meaningful, so my availability seems like the only thing I can actually control in this situation. How should I handle this current situation, and this job going forward?

Play nice and report them for the labor law violations, but make it look like someone else did it, play dumb when it comes up?

In theory there are other minimum wage jobs are around you, find and take one of them?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

H110Hawk posted:

Play nice and report them for the labor law violations, but make it look like someone else did it, play dumb when it comes up?

In theory there are other minimum wage jobs are around you, find and take one of them?

It's just me and one other worker at my location, and the other guy has been out sick for more than a week (which is why my boss so desperately wants me to come in this weekend, and dislikes me reducing my availability). Every other employee at this business is a hispanic day laborer with a tenuous grasp of english (and probably zero understanding of applicable labor laws), so if they get reported it'll be very obvious that it was me.

A new minimum wage job is entirely possible, and probably the best option, but I'd really rather not have to hunt down a new lovely job to replace my old lovely job until something else comes along.

What would be the best way to basically tell this guy 'No, I can't come in on Saturday, I have other plans already. This job sucks, and my weekends are worth more to me than minimum wage'? I may get fired for it, but at this point I don't really care. Would it be better to just quit?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Can you get the input of your friend? The one married to your manager? We obviously don't know all the intricacies of the situation so it's hard to give advice. It sounds like a lovely situation though.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

What would be the best way to basically tell this guy 'No, I can't come in on Saturday, I have other plans already. This job sucks, and my weekends are worth more to me than minimum wage'? I may get fired for it, but at this point I don't really care. Would it be better to just quit?
Stop being a pushover on this, I know it's hard but you do not owe them hours of your life. No is a complete sentence. "Sorry, that doesn't work for me." if you want to be nice. Did you already tell them you would work this weekend?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

moana posted:

Did you already tell them you would work this weekend?

No.

And you guys are, of course, entirely correct. I'm going to have to have a very awkward conversation with him today. I'm already very conflict-avoidant (this has not served me well in the job market), but to have to have this talk with a """friend""" is going to make things far more difficult.

The silver living is that I started applying to a bunch of stuff on Indeed yesterday, and got a call back from one of them about 20 minutes later scheduling an interview for tomorrow. I don't necessarily want to say yes to the first thing that comes along, but on the other hand, the first thing that comes along is likely to be better than this.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

I'm already very conflict-avoidant (this has not served me well in the job market), but to have to have this talk with a """friend""" is going to make things far more difficult.

Man, come on it's really not difficult. I'm empathetic to you here but it's a simple conversation to say you can't work on a weekend. Any normal employer would understand that. If you're not forthright about what you want or what's ok with you, you'll always be wronged. Granted it took me too long to learn that and it applies to work, relationships, etc.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 22, 2019

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Something Offal posted:

Man, come on it's really not difficult. I'm empathetic to you here but it's a simple conversation to say you can't work on a weekend. Any normal employer would understand that.
To conflict-avoidant people, the possibility of getting yelled at or even sternly looked at is extremely anxiety producing. It's not healthy to live like that, but that's the way it feels from my understanding of it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I love the phrase "I have a prior obligation."

They don't need to know that obligation is sitting on the couch watching youtube videos and petting my cats.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

It's just me and one other worker at my location, and the other guy has been out sick for more than a week (which is why my boss so desperately wants me to come in this weekend, and dislikes me reducing my availability). Every other employee at this business is a hispanic day laborer with a tenuous grasp of english (and probably zero understanding of applicable labor laws), so if they get reported it'll be very obvious that it was me.

So your friend abuses immigrant labor to save a buck and you are shocked he's abusing you? You have a huge leg up on those folks: You speak the local language and are likely legally able to both be and work in this country. Those things allow him to abuse those folks who are desperate for money to feed their family.

Make a choice, quit, no-show, or suck it up. I don't see how taking literally the first job given to you is worse than this one.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I love the phrase "I have a prior obligation."

They don't need to know that obligation is sitting on the couch watching youtube videos and petting my cats.

When I was late to this bullshit all day work training about efficient email workflows, I said "I had something I couldn't get out of", which implied I might mean an early morning meeting. But what I actually meant was that I couldn't get out of my bed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oof. Things have been going really well with the lady friend recently and we've been having Serious Future Talks

Girl admitted to having $15,000 in credit card debt because budgeting is stressful. Won't touch her $4,000 in cash savings because it's "for emergencies", won't make extra principal payments because "I paid an extra $3,000 and it was a waste because my balance is even higher now", and got nuclear furious with me for 'talking down like I'm a stupid 5 year old' when I tried to explain why paying extra is important

Might be a non-starter here, my dudes

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
:sever:

e: I'm sure once things cool down there is hope for an educational discussion. Good on you for having those talks before tying any knots.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 26, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah it was not an impressive display. "I don't understand" followed by "Don't explain it like I'm stupid" followed by an angry defensive meltdown

Also she booked a 2 week european vacation with her sister 24 hours ago, lmao

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

$15k isn't an insurmountable amount. If she's aware, not adding to it, and paying it down (even if not optimally like us nerds in BFC), and doesn't expect you to help her pay it off, then it might not be worth blowing up an otherwise good relationship.

But if that's something that seriously bugs you then maybe it is!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What in that post above sounded like she would make any attempt at paying that down sooner, or even doing anything to mitigate her already insane spending?

Also, GGGC - why didn’t you post this in the BWM thread? That’s where it belongs.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cacafuego posted:

Also, GGGC - why didn’t you post this in the BWM thread? That’s where it belongs.

Those guys are so mean!!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

But surely there's some way you can weave your M2 into the story!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Those guys are so mean!!

What do you mean "you people!?"

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Slap her in the face with your dick while reading aloud the MMM blog post Your debt is an emergency.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

Slap her in the face with your dick while reading aloud the MMM blog post Your debt is an emergency.

I... never realized what my fetish was until this moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

At least you'd get 1/2 of the phrase "informed consent" satisfied that way.