Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best one is the one asking if you can play this if you rent an apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

homeless snail posted:

The Mario timeline is just "the games where mario is a baby" -> every other mario game

Only if you think there's only one Mario and one Luigi

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bushisms.txt posted:

They're an acting troupe.

no miyamoto is saying dr mario is just practicing medicine illegally

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

American McGay posted:

I'll have to admit, even I was taken aback by the recent marketing push for Fire Emblem.

Bernie: I fight for my friends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I still get bummed out that the switch doesn't have analog triggers, and I'm hesitant to buy games because I don't know if they'd be better on steam where I can use analog triggers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What games even use analog triggers?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

American McGay posted:

I'm pretty sure Rocket League does. I remember using my dual shock 4 triggers on PC to control my speed.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

American McGay posted:

Driving games, mostly. So, with that in mind, do not buy Trials on Switch.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

homeless snail posted:

There's a 100Wh limit for bringing battery packs on planes, so just make sure you don't go over that. RAVPower and Anker both have good USB-C PD 99Wh packs that can run a Switch

What are the good ones? I have a big rear end flight that I want to play as many video games as possible. It will be the longest time childless time I’ve had in 4 years and want to game every second.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

lol if you aren't white knuckling the triggers in any other game that uses them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hadji murad posted:

What are the good ones? I have a big rear end flight that I want to play as many video games as possible. It will be the longest time childless time I’ve had in 4 years and want to game every second.

This is the one I’ve traveled all over the world with for the last 3 years and its been rock solid.

Portable Charger Anker PowerCore 20100mAh - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with 4.8A Output, External Battery Pack for iPhone, iPad & Samsung Galaxy & More (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FcH6Cb390VAE3

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's not gonna work for a Switch beyond slow charging it, you need USB-C and preferably 12 or 15V output. This is the one I have, works great but idk if its discontinued or not https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRQDAEI/.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

That's not gonna work for a Switch beyond slow charging it, you need USB-C and preferably 12 or 15V output. This is the one I have, works great but idk if its discontinued or not https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRQDAEI/.

I haven’t had an issue with it not keeping the switched topped up. :shrug:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Depends on the game, anything that really draws power is going to run the Switch battery down at least a little bit faster than it can pull from a regular USB port.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

no miyamoto is saying dr mario is just practicing medicine illegally

Hi everybody!

Hi Dr. Mario!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Inflammable means flammable? What a kingdom!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Literally hours late

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Depends on the game, anything that really draws power is going to run the Switch battery down at least a little bit faster than it can pull from a regular USB port.

So you’re talking about one that charges the Switch while it is currently being charged?

Is that what PD means?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

King of Solomon posted:

Driving games, mostly. So, with that in mind, do not buy Trials on Switch.

They actually coded the game to work with the analog triggers of the Gamecube controller if you have a hub.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is FFXII fun to play?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

shrike82 posted:

Is FFXII fun to play?

it is for some people and it isn't for others. what is your opinion on setting up auto battle AIs with fairly limited parameters? if that sounds like your cuppa then you will love it. if hearing that makes you want to die then skip

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hadji murad posted:

So you’re talking about one that charges the Switch while it is currently being charged?

Is that what PD means?
PD means Power Delivery, its just a standard for negotiating high wattage charging over USB, similar to Quick Charge or whatever but actually standard and its the only fast charging method the Switch supports. The charger that comes with the Switch is a PD charger, and if you get a battery pack that can put out a similar wattage then it charges just as quickly as the stock charger + will charge while you play.

Here's a pretty good guide on choosing chargers for the Switch, I think they have a bunch of battery reviews on there also
https://switchchargers.com/how-it-works/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Is FFXII fun to play?
Its Good. People say it plays itself, but that's only true in so much as you can order your guys to handle all the basic maintenance like healing and curing status effects and poo poo leaving you to only intervene when there's actually an important or interesting decision to be made, which puts it above the vast majority of RPG battle systems

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

Its Good. People say it plays itself, but that's only true in so much as you can order your guys to handle all the basic maintenance like healing and curing status effects and poo poo leaving you to only intervene when there's actually an important or interesting decision to be made, which puts it above the vast majority of RPG battle systems
...which only really seems to start happening once you're in the post-game from what I've heard :v:

it's worth mentioning that you aren't just setting up auto battle AIs with fairly limited parameters and walking around though. You're setting up auto battle AIs with fairly limited parameters and walking around at 4x speed :eng101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Your Computer posted:

...which only really seems to start happening once you're in the post-game from what I've heard :v:

it's this, the only time you ever need to do a thing is in the "postgame" hunts. you can beat the entire normal game, up to and including the final boss, with absolutely zero challenge by casting Haste+Berserk+Brave on one guy and walking around destroying everything.

the challenge hunts are a different story but you only do those if you really, really like the game.

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:
Trials is the only game I have that I've really wished I could play with analogue triggers. But I still enjoyed the game loads and got to play way more of it than if I had it on a different platform.

I still wish they'd release a pro controller+ or something with working analogue triggers but I'm not holding any hope for it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

it's worth mentioning that you aren't just setting up auto battle AIs with fairly limited parameters and walking around though. You're setting up auto battle AIs with fairly limited parameters and walking around at 4x speed :eng101:

Mind you, there's a region in FFXII were super-strong elementals occasionally drop by. I already had trouble evading them on PS2, with the added 4x speed option my accidental suicide-rate went up by 300%, too. :v:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

100% unironically put popeye in smash

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

hadji murad posted:

Is that what PD means?

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...52287&s=gateway

Get this one

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Wait, are the combat mechanics like XC2?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

shrike82 posted:

You push buttons in XC2. You do not in FF12.

Like its really hard to not stress this, in the zodiac age you can beat the entire game and final boss with complete ease with just 3 characters set to make basic attacks on the same target, one with a heal rule, and one with a remove status effects rule. You will regularly go hours without pushing a button to do anything in combat.

Now if you do endgame hunts you will have to do some work updating your gambits and paying attention, but thats like 5 hunts out of 40.

The game absolutely feels like the first pass design concept for a system of puzzle battles but doesnt have any of the depth to pull it off.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Not really, its pretty much just regular rear end FF ATB combat and FF menu selection. You can press a button to pull up the menu and choose what their action is gonna be the next time their timer ticks up like FF4-8, or if you don't manually choose then they check the orders you set up for them ahead of time and do the first hit on their list, whether that's like "if someone has a status effect, cure it" or "attack enemy with least HP"

Its FF but you can press as many or as few buttons as you like.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

shrike82 posted:

They could barely be more different.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

People bring up the combat, which is bad imo, but the story isn't very good and the characters aren't very good either. If you like spending hours automating your combat, FF12 might be cool for you I guess.

I hear DQ11 is cool for automating combat too but I dunno, I like the stimulation of manually micro-managing each encounter even if it is mindless.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

I wanna get this one now. Thanks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlphaKeny1 posted:

People bring up the combat, which is bad imo, but the story isn't very good and the characters aren't very good either. If you like spending hours automating your combat, FF12 might be cool for you I guess.
So I've been playing FF12 on and off for the past couple of weeks, by my reckoning I'm probably about halfway through (I just got The Sword of Kings and I have to say that while it's only been difficult when I try to smash Vaughn's stupid face against an enemy I'm underleveled for, I honestly agree with

homeless snail posted:

^this post. I generally do not have my party leader's gambits on, so depending on how I'm feeling/who I'm working on leveling I'm either casting black magic as Vaughn, doing enemy management with Ashley (she's a time mage), healing as Penny, or doing some level of all three with Balthier (my Battle Mage). I also immediately changed the default attack gambit on all the characters from "attack the nearest enemy automatically" to "attack the party leader's target", which means the gambited party members only engage when I want them to, which makes me feel like I'm still playing the game, and not just running alongside a bunch of AI murderbots.

If the enemies are super squishy, or I'm doing a little bit of loot grinding because the stupid rabbit that has no stupid HP needs better armor, I'll toss everyone on gambits and run around on 2x speed killing everything in sight (or, as I like to call it, Meth Simulator 2019!) because I hate grinding.

Sure, the story is a nearly incomprehensible mess of pronouns and Vaughn and Penny are... whatever. But the other characters are awesome. The orchestrated sound track is fantastic and, coupled with the scale of the game and the story (whatever the fucks going on), give it an incredibly epic, very Star Wars feel.

Finally, I think it's inherently worth playing a game that allows the player freedom and leeway when it comes to difficulty and how much you want to engage with it. If you ignore gambits completely and artificially limit yourself to, say, two licence upgrades per level, FFXII would be pretty drat difficult. I've brought this up before (to much argument and debate), but I like games that allow you, the player, to play the game the way you want to and at the difficulty you want to. FFXII does that for JRPGs, which I honestly didn't think was possible with the genre. And that's pretty goddamn awesome.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 26, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I hear DQ11 is cool for automating combat too but I dunno, I like the stimulation of manually micro-managing each encounter even if it is mindless.

I would love spending hours automating combat and iterating on the commands but the systems and encounter design in 12 are painfully low on depth so it's boring almost immediately

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 26, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

asecondduck posted:

Finally, I think it's inherently worth playing a game that allows the player freedom and leeway when it comes to difficulty and how much you want to engage with it. If you ignore gambits completely and artificially limit yourself to, say, two licence upgrades per level, FFXII would be pretty drat difficult. I've brought this up before (to much argument and debate), but I like games that allow you, the player, to play the game the way you want to and at the difficulty you want to. FFXII does that for JRPGs, which I honestly didn't think was possible with the genre.

Pokémon does too, with options like the Experience Share and such.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

Pokémon does too, with options like the Experience Share and such.
I can't quite explain it but while Pokemon is, in fact, a Japanese Role Playing Game, I don't lump them into the JRPG genre. I guess it's because the focus is on the enlisting, using, and routine dumping of party members in favor of different/more powerful ones instead of making your set party more powerful (I acknowledge that it's possible to beat any Pokemon game with the first six Pokemon you get, or hell, even your starter alone, but no one really plays them like at, at least not their first time around, unless they're a child).

But fair point--Pokemon is an extraordinary flexible JRPG. I'll amend my statement to say that FFXII offers flexibility while still keeping the feel of a traditional JRPG, which I didn't think was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

asecondduck posted:

I can't quite explain it but while Pokemon is, in fact, a Japanese Role Playing Game, I don't lump them into the JRPG genre. I guess it's because the focus is on the enlisting, using, and routine dumping of party members in favor of different/more powerful ones instead of making your set party more powerful (I acknowledge that it's possible to beat any Pokemon game with the first six Pokemon you get, or hell, even your starter alone).

But fair point--Pokemon is an extraordinary flexible JRPG. I'll amend my statement to say that FFXII offers flexibility while still keeping the feel of a traditional JRPG, which I didn't think was possible.

That applies to like a billion jrpgs.

I don't think FF12 is a very good example of flexibility either since the game doesn't give any challenge at all if you want to actually engage with the systems it gives you (before the postgame anyway)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 26, 2019