Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

best one is using disruptor's kinetic field to create the worst possible venn diagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Just had four of the worst Dota games of my life today with people just pickin support am, afk farming jungle as drow from minute 0, Pudge going only to lanes that are empty and farming a Dagon

Fuckin, why did I come back to this

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Still slamming down ranked roles solo queue and picking support/offlane every game. Doing well, having fun, but supports who don't play support are the literal worst thing in the game.

I play more support than anything, I enjoy support. Watching pudges who don't buy wards kills me on the inside.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
I stopped playing Dota when the talent patch came out that broke compatibility with WC3 Dota, thinking that I didn't want to learn a whole new system and that the talent thing kind of seemed to suck anyway. Since then I've watched a few TI games but not really played or followed the scene.

Then, this week, Youtube recommended a bot match series and it seemed like an interesting premise, so I watched a game and then went back into the client to watch some pro tourney games from the last major. First game I saw had a KotL and Lich, and both the heros got some kind of rework that also seemed to me to basically suck. So, I'd like to ask any long-time players: how are the current patches, new heros, and talent system? To give a sense of where I'm coming from, the I didn't like a lot of the changes leading up to the talent patch either - I didn't like the weird aghs updates or the gold changes that seemed more like em to make esports games shorter.

Any feedback? Do you think someone like me would enjoy getting back into it?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

If you think the game and the changes suck, then you probably won’t enjoy it?????

idk who could get mad about Aghs upgrades but if you didn’t like those you may continue to be unsatisfied.

For the record, Lich is a better hero than he has been in ages, and his gameplay is way better than the Sacrifice gameplay.
KotL is a bit more of a mixed bag depending on what you liked, but he’s certainly still a strong hero, though his ult makes him a lot more teamfight focused.

Talents are a really neat change that adds a lot more role or situational decision making, and allowed them to do a lot of interesting things with certain abilities that are similar to Agh’s upgrades. So...

I am just going to say that if you did not like dota, dota may not be a game you like!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How the gently caress can you not like weird aghs upgrades, they're the loving best and way better than just "your ult does more damage now" or some poo poo.

E: that being said, talents basically provide more weird agh poo poo, so if you don't like those you probably won't like talents.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

talents were one of the best changes they made to the game

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ambivalent posted:

I am just going to say that if you did not like dota, dota may not be a game you like!!

I liked Dota, but I feel like at some point Valve decided it'd be more popular if they turned it into HoN. There's more action and things are flashier but it feels soulless.

The talents and aghs changes are a good example of that. I don't have anything against them in principle but in practice they're major power creep. Supports don't need to scale well into the late game, there's really no reason a hero like Lina should be able to pierce bkb with her ult.

Not everyone needs to be a superstar. Clearly defined roles are part of what made this game great, and that means both hard carries who are absolutely useless early game, and supports who can't quite carry their weight in the late game.

Elman fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 20, 2019

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Elman posted:

Supports don't need to scale well into the late game, there's really no reason a hero like Lina should be able to pierce bkb with her ult.
Lina is almost exclusively a mid hero now, one of the few that's actually gone up in farm priority and not down, and even then Lina Agh's is a niche item. (A lot of the old playmaker mids are now 3s or even 4s, since most teams have 2 farming cores and you don't want to waste one of those slots on a Puck or whatever. Pudge is actually pickable as a 4 now, for example.)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Elman posted:

Not everyone needs to be a superstar. Clearly defined roles are part of what made this game great, and that means both hard carries who are absolutely useless early game, and supports who can't quite carry their weight in the late game.

This is still entirely accurate, it's just some heroes are a little more interesting now during the times when they're not "on" rather than being unfun slogs to play.

Also, power creep isn't a bad thing if it doesn't destroy the balance of a game. Finally, please tell me how adding more interesting gameplay and variety makes the game "soulless"

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Ambivalent posted:

If you think the game and the changes suck, then you probably won’t enjoy it?????

idk who could get mad about Aghs upgrades but if you didn’t like those you may continue to be unsatisfied.

For the record, Lich is a better hero than he has been in ages, and his gameplay is way better than the Sacrifice gameplay.
KotL is a bit more of a mixed bag depending on what you liked, but he’s certainly still a strong hero, though his ult makes him a lot more teamfight focused.

Talents are a really neat change that adds a lot more role or situational decision making, and allowed them to do a lot of interesting things with certain abilities that are similar to Agh’s upgrades. So...

Well, the point is that I don't know whether I like the game and changes. I specced one game and saw a bot match on youtube, and the rest of the changes I kind of didn't like years ago.

But yeah, since what I didn't like about all that stuff was changing how hero scaling worked and talents and the non-ult Aghs stuff changing skills around, I probably won't like this very much I guess if that's the way they're going with it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

it's a totally free game, what do you have to lose other than time to try it out? play a bot or turbo match or overthrow or something and see if you get enjoyment in that 20m.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Kild posted:

it's a totally free game, what do you have to lose other than time to try it out? play a bot or turbo match or overthrow or something and see if you get enjoyment in that 20m.

I don't know what any of those things are except for bot match, and I like the general concept of MOBAs so I'd enjoy a no-stakes bot stomp. But yeah, basically the barrier to getting back into it is the time for the learning curve of figuring out what heroes and items do, how to farm/stack/pull the new jungle, new mechanics, blah blah blah all for something that I wouldn't really like to play in a competitive way.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I don't know what any of those things are except for bot match, and I like the general concept of MOBAs so I'd enjoy a no-stakes bot stomp. But yeah, basically the barrier to getting back into it is the time for the learning curve of figuring out what heroes and items do, how to farm/stack/pull the new jungle, new mechanics, blah blah blah all for something that I wouldn't really like to play in a competitive way.

Turbo's the new easy mode, overthrow is a custom mode that just pvp.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
its bad

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The problem with support scaling isn't that big a deal because games don't last long enough for supports to afford any items even with the increased gold. In pro games people still throw one support player under the bus. The biggest issue is that the lategame-scaling options are all loving traps and the heroes that are the "most epic" are far and away the worst actual heroes but everyone keeps picking them because if they're going to be held at gunpoint to support they want to get all the sick kills. It's why so many people pick Lion, they think they're gonna get a bazillion finger kills/damage, but in reality Lion doesn't help at all in the lane and instead they get totally rolled and he's gonna be underleveled all game.

The real lovely issues that Dota has now is that laning is the most important thing in the game and you absolutely have to draft around winning lanes because there is no more "lose the lanes win the game" strategy that works anymore. Talents have caused the powerspikes to occur much much earlier and so doing a 4-protect-1 is impossible because the team who is pushing is infinitely stronger in this patch than they would have been back in 2012-2013. You can still draft heroes like Antimage and Medusa, but only because they're actually just normal heroes now as opposed to ones where you knew you were going to be at a disadvantage for 30 minutes. It's really killed a lot of interesting strategies that have developed over the years, to now the matchups between east and west feel way less interesting because everyone's been forced into the same playstyle and game pace. The only big regional differences are picking heroes, and even then there's usually a few certain heroes that you have to draft around because they're so disproportionately broken. Like in this patch, Chinese or American, you have to pick or ban Drow, no matter what. It's made the game way less interesting from a meta-strategy standpoint.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah as an offlaner once they changed poo poo so you pretty much had to 2v1v2 it kinda ruined the game. i think it was the denial changes i didn't even know they existed and was confused why i was so many levels behind.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I play offlane almost exclusively and it's either you need a tanky offlaner like Bristle who can survive and harass against CK, or if they have a weak laner like Drow you pick Skywrath and just throw Arcane Bolts at her until she can't lane anymore. I used to play safelane and I realized no supports knew how to play the game so any aggressive offlane I couldn't beat solo would just ruin my game, but then I realized how effective it was to just ruin the safelaners game and win off of that alone and so here I am.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You can still draft heroes like Antimage and Medusa, but only because they're actually just normal heroes now as opposed to ones where you knew you were going to be at a disadvantage for 30 minutes. It's really killed a lot of interesting strategies that have developed over the years, to now the matchups between east and west feel way less interesting because everyone's been forced into the same playstyle and game pace. The only big regional differences are picking heroes, and even then there's usually a few certain heroes that you have to draft around because they're so disproportionately broken. Like in this patch, Chinese or American, you have to pick or ban Drow, no matter what. It's made the game way less interesting from a meta-strategy standpoint.

Medusa yes, as soon as she gets the snake mana drain talent at 15 she's good to go. AM not at all.

I don't get your last point either, there's always one or two heroes that are going to have to be banned first. And it always shifts when there's a patch. So what's your point? (Also you don't have to ban drow no matter what, Secret just won the major not banning Drow first two games. The metagame within the major actually moved around quite a bit I thought.)

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
The game is getting boring and stale because the only viable strat is farm as hard as you can for 25 minutes and then the winner of the next big teamfight ends the game right there. The specific heroes or lineups that you pick don't matter because it's almost impossible to pick a squad that can't take rax at 28 minutes or just throne.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mikeraskol posted:

Medusa yes, as soon as she gets the snake mana drain talent at 15 she's good to go. AM not at all.

I don't get your last point either, there's always one or two heroes that are going to have to be banned first. And it always shifts when there's a patch. So what's your point? (Also you don't have to ban drow no matter what, Secret just won the major not banning Drow first two games. The metagame within the major actually moved around quite a bit I thought.)

They didn't ban Drow the first game and lost, and then won the second game, then banned it again and then Liquid banned it, so the pick/ban ratio of the hero is 100% across four games. Speaking of a 100% pick/ban rate, so was Dark Seer which Secret banned every game after losing the first. Liquid banned Monkey King every single game. They also tried to ban Abaddon every game except secret managed to pick it in the fourth game. Sand King was also 100% pick/ban, Doom was 100% pick/ban, Morphling 100% pick/ban, so if you're trying to tell me that Dota doesn't revolve around a small subset of heroes you're loving crazy. The reason this is different now than when Morphling was a terror on TI2 is because now every region is playing exactly the same, so instead of "one team banks on lategame Morphling while the other team tries to win before Morph can come online" now it's "both teams fight over the same heroes over and over"

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Powerful necro on this thread really breathed some life into it

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm also eager for a new patch cycle but I odn't think this patch cycle has been inherently worse than any other patch that's outgrown it's welcome. Game is still good and cool.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Agent355 posted:

I'm also eager for a new patch cycle but I odn't think this patch cycle has been inherently worse than any other patch that's outgrown it's welcome. Game is still good and cool.

This patch isn't particularly bad or anything, but the reason we're in the place we are now is because of all the post-TI patches that aim to completely gently caress over whichever team won by removing their strategy from the game. People used to poo poo on League for doing patches that remove any strategies that are outside of the norm, but that's basically the point Dota has gotten to now that they've removed all the really big strategic differences that teams used to implement. Iron Talon is gone because offlaners were jungling too much, Aquilla is gone because it was too good, pulling the first wave in each lane was arbitrarily made impossible because people were doing it too much. It feels like all balance changes made now are done to force every team to play around the exact same gameplay power timings, just with different heroes

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
It's still enjoyable for me to play techies. game is good

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also we've been on this patch for like 4 months

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Kild posted:

Also we've been on this patch for like 4 months

On one hand the game needs patched super loving badly, but on the other I'm worried that all they're gonna do is nerf a few problem heroes and that's gonna be all we get

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

On one hand the game needs patched super loving badly, but on the other I'm worried that all they're gonna do is nerf a few problem heroes and that's gonna be all we get

don't be fatalistic. you'll also get a new mini game and or skins to spend ten dollars on

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The radiant advantage ~5-10% has to be addressed. Even OpenAI had like a 4% advantage so its not just camera.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Kild posted:

The radiant advantage ~5-10% has to be addressed. Even OpenAI had like a 4% advantage so its not just camera.

Wangsbig posted:

don't be fatalistic. you'll also get a new mini game and or skins to spend ten dollars on

http://www.dota2.com/planetfall

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
Been thinking about getting back into this after a loooong break (think I stopped playing after the ice dragon was released), but recent responses to this thread have me hesistant. Is the game in a good place right now? I miss teamfights.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Grey Face posted:

Been thinking about getting back into this after a loooong break (think I stopped playing after the ice dragon was released), but recent responses to this thread have me hesistant. Is the game in a good place right now? I miss teamfights.

The game is, in its current state, 13 minutes of laning and the rest of the game is teamfights, so whatever you do you need to make sure you've got whatever it is you need to come to fights at that 13 minute mark

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kild posted:

someone should make tides of blood.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kild posted:

The radiant advantage ~5-10% has to be addressed.

Wasn't it around 4% before the map changes? :psyduck:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Elman posted:

Wasn't it around 4% before the map changes? :psyduck:

When you say "before the map changes," you're gonna need to be more specific, because originally Dire had a slightly higher winrate due to the Rosh pit placement, and then after that got moved it's pretty much been a steady upward slope for Radiant since then, as strategies that Dire would rely on to compensate for their lovely jungle have been offset (Earthshaker creep blocking, pulling the first offlane wave, etc)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ok, I was misremembering and thought that Radiant used to have that advantage because of their better early game (which the Rosh pit disadvantage wasn't able to compensate for).

Nevermind then.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

:emptyquote:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Should be pretty easy just dye the kunkka boat red again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
The current state of dota is excellent!