Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
A non-vote is a vote for nazis, that’s my stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Goatse.cx write-in 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've always maintained that the only time it's okay to not vote is when at least two factors are satisfied:
1) Statistics of non-voters are tracked
2) Those statistics actually mean something to the politicians and news organizations focus on it

In Denmark the statistics are tracked, but noone gives a rats rear end about them despite the fact that they've been steadily increasing over quite a few years, which to me seems to indicate an increasing dissatisaction with the choices available during elections (not that you need this statistic to back up that statement, it's basically evident if you just go out and talk with a big-enough sample-size of people).

Although given the current political climate, I think it's very dangerous to not vote, because you run the risk of not just being labeled as someone who voted for the wrong party by not voting, you also risk giving the wrong party a bigger percentage of the win.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Why the gently caress is this the top of DN on the 21st of May year of our lord 2019?

I am actually kind of embarrassed that I sold all my poo poo in Oklahoma to move here 3.5 years ago.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

Why the gently caress is this the top of DN on the 21st of May year of our lord 2019?

I am actually kind of embarrassed that I sold all my poo poo in Oklahoma to move here 3.5 years ago.

You and me both, but replace OK with NY. I feel like I imported American style brain worms whilst immigrating.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dirk Pitt posted:

Relative news drought. Our small conservative Christian party has gotten a significant upswing in voters lately as they nowadays play a key role in government opposition, so they get more focus and review. It's only good that people are reminded that their most famous representatives still hold bad conservative values.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I dont really get why it's bad that this is on DN frontpage? He's a conservative religous old guy, he's gonna have lovely opinions and vote accordingly. IMO it's good that he gets called out for his voting and being told off by everyone.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I am shocked that there are christians against abortion.

I am shocked that the news media is shocked that there are christians against abortion.

I am shocked that news media isn't shocked enough that there are christians against abortion

There I think I covered all the bases.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The official KD party line is that they support the right to abortion though (because being against it is a political suicide even in these troubled times). They support gay marriage too. Adaktusson is an ultraconservative shithead even by KD standards and it's not surprising at all that he gets called out.

Like, sure, there are definitely KD party members who dislike the party line on these issues and the leadership kinda turns a blind eye to it, but being anti-abortion is still a political hot potato that they really don't want to have to deal with. The thing is that the actual Christian voter base is an extremely marginal (and shrinking) group to try to appeal to, and their values are fundamentally unworkable as a political platform today. So get more than a single digit percentage of the votes KD has to go with the mainstream opinion officially regardless of what their oldest members think.

Not denying though that this probably does contribute to the Overton window shifting further to the right.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 22, 2019

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Alhazred posted:

During the first few months of the war one million railroad cars loaded with industrial equipment, raw materials, and people departed from the frontline areas. /16 I won't delve into specifics of the scale of the Soviet program of deporting the civilian population. This I have done in some detail in The Dissolution. Suffice it here to note that before the war upward of 90 million people were living in the Soviet areas conquered by Germany during the Second World War. The Soviets deported anywhere between 25 and 30 million of them. They concentrated their deportation efforts on specific groups. Thus, they preferred the urban to the rural population, the skilled to the unskilled, and large educated minorities (Jews and Russians in the Ukraine, White Russia, and in the Baltic countries) to the more hostile native population. Because the Soviets had begun their deportation program long before the outbreak of the war and because the western frontier areas were generally not densely populated, the Soviet cities which fell into German hands during the first few days and weeks of the war were greatly depopulated - up to 90 percent in some cases and over 50 percent on the average. The cities tended to show greater deportation percentages if they were located in the Ukraine or White Russia, rather than in the Baltic countries; if they were located near the western frontier rather than further east; and if they had large educated minorities than if the native population predominated.

Months late, of course, but as half the thread is about definitions of Nazism I figured it was important to point out that the author of the above text (and the linked paper and book length treatment it refers to) was a holocaust denier.

Or, as he calls it in that very paper:

quote:

the alleged German genocide of Soviet Jews, or indeed, of the Soviet Slavs.

Some criticism:

http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot.com/2007/08/crazy-world-of-walter-sanning-part-1.html?m=1

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 22, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Holy poo poo, I completely glossed over the fact that it included an IHR link. Yeah, those are nazis, great job.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Rutkowski posted:

You don't.

I cast my last ballot last year and unless things radically change there's really no option for leftists anymore after V bent over and refused to no-confidence the government when the strike laws were put in action.

The vote for that isn't until tbe 18th of June

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SplitSoul posted:

Holy poo poo, I completely glossed over the fact that it included an IHR link. Yeah, those are nazis, great job.

Oh yeah I never noticed how incredibly crap that link was at the time

quote:

Faced with a massive build-up of Soviet military strength across the line of demarcation, concerned by the Soviet breach of the so-called Hitler-Stalin Pact and forewarned by new and enormous Soviet demands for geographic concessions in Europe, Germany invaded the Soviet Union on 22 June 1941. The Soviets immediately began to execute German prisoners-of-war right after capture or a short interrogation. Even seriously wounded soldiers were not spared. Numerous high level orders to this effect are on record.

Barbarossa was in self defence against Soviet aggression you see :allears:

Won't someone think of the nazi prisoners.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

zokie posted:

The vote for that isn't until tbe 18th of June
I met Sjöstedt while going towards Kungälv for the 1st of May and asked him directly if he'll invoke a no-confidence vote if the strike laws are put up for a vote. He said no.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Retarded Goatee posted:

Goatse.cx write-in 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rutkowski posted:

I met Sjöstedt while going towards Kungälv for the 1st of May and asked him directly if he'll invoke a no-confidence vote if the strike laws are put up for a vote. He said no.

Yeah for those in the thread this is an actual back-pedal that they've committed to since after January. Before the vote of no confidence treshhold was strejklagen, now it's the LAS changes being put to the floor.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/realtimewwii/status/1131490559711948800?s=21

This is a good twitter account, that will soon start the depiction of that totally legit German defensive war against the USSR.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
https://www.dagsavisen.no/oslo/nett...fOLHs5ZclSYzv6U

Ahahaha Katie loving Hopkins in Oslo. I wish I knew she was here so I could toss a milkshake.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah for those in the thread this is an actual back-pedal that they've committed to since after January. Before the vote of no confidence treshhold was strejklagen, now it's the LAS changes being put to the floor.

Why world they do that? :decorum: ?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Stalins Moustache posted:

https://www.dagsavisen.no/oslo/nett...fOLHs5ZclSYzv6U

Ahahaha Katie loving Hopkins in Oslo. I wish I knew she was here so I could toss a milkshake.

Ah yes, the segregated ghetto of Eastern Oslo :psyduck:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

If you actually thought Dragsted had changed his tune when he challenged convicted racist Berth in parliament, think again.

https://jyllands-posten.dk/politik/ECE11399614/el-valgplakat-mod-racister-skal-ikke-forstaas-ordret/

Burning my polling card.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pelle is out after this election, due to the rotation principle.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Pelle is out after this election, due to the rotation principle.

And? He's responsible for the current line and personal votes mean poo poo with EL. Skipper is just as bad. You have to go pretty far down the list to find anyone with a spine and pray they won't trade it in for harebrained populism.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

Why world they do that? :decorum: ?

:decorum: pretty much. A long time ago a certain party threatened a certain government that they'd sink them if x happened, then an election happened. They accepted the new government, which is kinda but sorta not the old government, based on the premise that they'd sink them the moment y happened. Only, if they'd stuck to their way way earlier promise that they'd try to sink the old government if x happened then we would already would have no government again.

Formally the excuse is that the unions are along for road but really it's all about the timing having become extremely awkward.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

And? He's responsible for the current line and personal votes mean poo poo with EL. Skipper is just as bad. You have to go pretty far down the list to find anyone with a spine and pray they won't trade it in for harebrained populism.

Just vote for the Dead Horse party again, I guess.

On one hand, I'd like a hardcore anarcho-commie party to run. On the other hand, oh wow how it wouldn't work for poo poo.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Last time the Communists ran they were in an electoral alliance with EL, so it'd be effectively the same thing as voting EL. The only person seemingly worth poo poo is fifth on the list in Copenhagen.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vote for that person then. I'll do it too, that's like two whole votes!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Vote for that person then. I'll do it too, that's like two whole votes!

Like I said, personal votes are irrelevant with EL as they employ listeopstilling.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
They still look at the number of personal votes people get, and people who get a lot get listened to more, can build alliances and eventually move up the list. Though it’s obviously better if people who are party members support them at internal voting and so on.

Anyway. I refuse to believe that anyone in enhedslisten actually thinks that Støjberg & co aren’t huge racists. Do I think they should 100% call her (and others) on it all the time? Yes. Her unbelievable racist policies are shameful at a fundamental level. I’m assuming they think they’re olaying 8th dimensional chess or something, and by pretending the right wing politicians aren’t racists, they’re winning some other symbolic battle. Pelle is definitely the Corydon of enhedslisten though, at least so far.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

As noted, Dragsted is extremely into left populism, so of course he's going to work off of the premise established by a virulently racist mainstream instead of trying to challenge it. Exactly the wrong medicine in a climate where a brain-damaged nazi can easily catapult his fat rear end into the spotlight by arguing for Muslim Endlösung.

I can't count the number of times I've seen Dragsted try to bully comrades back in line with underhanded bullshit. There's always been factionalism, but under his purview they've centralised so much and whittled away at their core principles so heavily that the party is unrecognisable, with zero payoff. You'd be forgiven for thinking he was some entryist bourgie shithead if he didn't have a past in the AFA.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Okay so today is largely looking to be quite an uneventful EU election day in Sweden where some parties will lose mandates and some will gain and nothing much will really change.

However,

however,

Liberalerna might fall out entirely on their PRO-EU-EVERYTHING campaign which to me that is not very hot on the EU is just too funny. Exciting thing number two is to see if 50% of the electorate will even bother to vote.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The EU has this thing where as an entity it's really useful and vitally important but no one anywhere likes it or is happy with it.

I blame the failure of the British remain campaign on this attitude.

The Brexit campaign has a clear message. "poo poo is hosed and lets leave the EU to fix things" It was a bold faced lie but so was the remain campaign of "poo poo is not that hosed"

And you can't really get people riled up over "poo poo it not that great but we can improve it somewhat"

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

That brexit turned out to be a mess probably pushed people in the other direction though. Maybe not in the UK but in the rest of the EU people are generally the most pro EU they've been since the fincacial crisis.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Also if you really wanted to fundamentally change the EU you'd have to start with the members states governments they make most of the decisions. A lot of the democratic deficit in the EU comes down to governments not being held accountable by national Parliaments or voters.

Yet no one cares or knows what they're up to in the EU so they can conviently tell the voters it was the EU who did the bad thing and just carry on with no repercussions. The general public's knowledge of the EU is abysmal and that won't change soon.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

learning Swedish politics is fun and not at all loving mind boggling as to how people haven’t started throwing punches.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Fader Movitz posted:

Also if you really wanted to fundamentally change the EU you'd have to start with the members states governments they make most of the decisions. A lot of the democratic deficit in the EU comes down to governments not being held accountable by national Parliaments or voters.

Yet no one cares or knows what they're up to in the EU so they can conviently tell the voters it was the EU who did the bad thing and just carry on with no repercussions. The general public's knowledge of the EU is abysmal and that won't change soon.

this is also bollocks because it's that way by design - one government can't do much of anything, and the Union is pretty much the sejm for all that it may reasonably be changed - the EU is a vehicle for the ideological entrenchment of neoliberalism in a way which is so integral to the project as to be constitutional, but with these little vents so snooty pricks can blame the general public

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

It's the EU election and not a single post about it yet?!

Going to be interesting to see how things play out. Liberalerna might get the boot.

And this happened
https://imgur.com/nG4FEKR

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 26, 2019

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The People's Movement Against The EU are looking at a 5-point drop, which means they'll lose their seat. Red-Green Alliance look to be picking up the slack and get a seat, but I hope there's enough votes between them to secure a seat for both.

We need EU-critical voices that are not founded in nationalism and xenophobia.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
DF getting slaughtered and going from 4 seats to 1 has been a fantastic gift tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So this EU election is the first, where there were no strange new parties showing up and instead the polls largely followed national polls, with the exception of MP.
I guess this means the EU membership is more of a non-issue these days, especially due to the ongoing massive fuckup also known as the Brexit.
S goes back with 1% and is continuing to literally die off, M makes a better (couldn't make it worse) election, SD gains but not disproportionally to national polls and must have managed to get their EU negative supporters to the booth. L made it by the skin of their teeth, C and MP made better elections than expected and KD went forward despite the massive smearing campaign.
Interestingly V did worse than the polls, where they had 9% and ended up with 7%, which makes me wonder whether they have a SD effect in the polls?
And Fi is finally dead, good riddance.

teen witch posted:

learning Swedish politics is fun and not at all loving mind boggling as to how people haven’t started throwing punches.

According to Ingerö, next time they will play WASP or Deicide.
Also the whole abortion issue is just stupid and just a way of means to smear KD by pretending US politics is a thing in Sweden.
No one in Swedish politics wants to make abortion an EU issue, cause we would end compromising with a whole lot of countries with stricter laws than us.
Given that Sweden is rather extreme in many political issues, trying to make these issues in to EU issues means compromising with countries that we consider backwards.
This was readily apparent in all those questions where the politicians had a yes or no sign, where only L was positive.

Rutkowski posted:

So what is the point of V then?
Based on this, they are just going to sit out the next 3 years doing nothing but noise, since they gave away their only leverage earlier this year and the only option left is the nuclear one.

MiddleOne posted:

Liberalerna might fall out entirely on their PRO-EU-EVERYTHING campaign which to me that is not very hot on the EU is just too funny. Exciting thing number two is to see if 50% of the electorate will even bother to vote.

My main wish for this election didn't come through.