Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

nielsm posted:

I think the biggest simple QoL improvement for me might be a hotkey to build whatever I last built, or whatever I last tore down. For example if I build a constructor the wrong way around, tear it down, hit the "rebuild" key, and be ready to build another one right away.

I would absolutely go throw that idea into their suggestions forum if such exists. Could easily have a separate button for each of these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

nielsm posted:

I think the biggest simple QoL improvement for me might be a hotkey to build whatever I last built, or whatever I last tore down. For example if I build a constructor the wrong way around, tear it down, hit the "rebuild" key, and be ready to build another one right away.

Or just steal q from factorio.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Or just steal q from factorio.

Yeah this. ONI has the same feature and it's great.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

LonsomeSon posted:

I would absolutely go throw that idea into their suggestions forum if such exists. Could easily have a separate button for each of these!

Yeah, it's been suggested a few times on their 'questions' site.

https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/1405/add-q-for-pipette-tool-build-building-you-look-at?show=1405#q1405
https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/10723/eyedropper-hotkey?show=10737#a10737
https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/8315/add-a-clone-hotkey?show=8384#c8384
https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/13658/feature-request-keybind-for-build-another-one-of-these?show=13876#c13876

No clue if the devs have noticed, though.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
ARGH

Screws are loving me over :(

200% output is too fast for mk2 belts but I haven't unlocked mk3 belts yet also it's production isn't easily divisible by 60 so even if I DID use splitters it still wouldn't be neat tidy and organized!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
The way splitters in this one forcibly round-robin each output regardless of attachment or fullness status is honestly pretty braindead.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
There's a new gun called Rebar Scatter Gun, but no way to make ammo for it. :v:
But with the magic of save game editing, you can add the right ammo to inventory, and have some fun. As the name implies, it's like a shotgun, and shoots 6 rebars at a time. Kills smaller hogs in one hit, but you need some distance because it doesn't work at close range.. it's like the projectiles don't exist until they're several feet away from the gun.

edit: Also unlocked every blueprint for fun; new diagonal walls and ramps showed up, but with placeholder textures, so they looked ugly as hell. But hey, new stuff coming!

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 25, 2019

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

JointHorse posted:

edit: Also unlocked every blueprint for fun; new diagonal walls and ramps showed up, but with placeholder textures, so they looked ugly as hell. But hey, new stuff coming!

:circlefap:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
:circlefap: x2

It's a seriously good game. Hoping to see how it evolves past the pre-early access Alpha.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I, for one, would definitely pay like ten or twelve bucks each for new maps to explore with unique life forms and special weirdness.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If the devs don't add it before mod support rolls around, one of the first things I'm modding into this game is a camera drone you can use to build stuff in birds-eye view.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cobbsprite posted:

I, for one, would definitely pay like ten or twelve bucks each for new maps to explore with unique life forms and special weirdness.

considering how huge the map is i imagine it'd be quite a while before we see them make that much content a second time

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Last time i went exploring the map had a lot of weird bugs. Vegetation floating around as if it was attached to mountains, areas where you constantly get damage despite there being nothing whatsoever, fun stuff.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah there's many areas of the map that just aren't finished at all. I try to make a habit of using the "Send feedback" function in the main menu every time I find a buggy area of the map.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I only just saw that one of the ratio calculator can now also draw all your stuff on the interactive map. This isn't mine, but it shows what it'd look like:

https://satisfactory-calculator.com/

Looking forward to getting home and watching my own skybridge mess show up.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Freaksaus posted:

I only just saw that one of the ratio calculator can now also draw all your stuff on the interactive map. This isn't mine, but it shows what it'd look like:

https://satisfactory-calculator.com/

Looking forward to getting home and watching my own skybridge mess show up.

Here's mine:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Here's my craphole

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That's a really neat tool!

Factories are a lot messier when you don't make them in the southern plains. I ended up choosing a really cramped valley in the forest start.

That's a "complete" factory, cranking out supercomputers.

I broke a lot of my principles when I started up caterium processing. That's what the snakey belt and empty foundations to the east are all about. I think factories are a lot more visually interesting if they're an ad-hoc mess, but I had totally run out of room in my valley and had too many awkward sky belts running over my factory to easily slap another floor above my first. And as much as I hate snakey belts across the landscape, my caterium was being mined in the same place as my coal and I didn't want to figure out how to get two tractors to play nice on the exact same route, especially when the path was really cramped.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I sorta went a little nuts with the platforms. The oil base to the south is pretty large, too.

Webguy20
Dec 31, 2007
Found the first feature I hope they implement. Custom colors are saved after close. I went through and made a bunch of custom combinations painted up a bunch of stuff, then came back the next day and BAM, all back to default.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Webguy20 posted:

Found the first feature I hope they implement. Custom colors are saved after close. I went through and made a bunch of custom combinations painted up a bunch of stuff, then came back the next day and BAM, all back to default.

They're technically all still there - the colours that are displayed in the menu reset though :v:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If the devs don't add it before mod support rolls around, one of the first things I'm modding into this game is a camera drone you can use to build stuff in birds-eye view.

If anyone's played Empyrion their build system is a great hybrid.

You can build from first person pov, but you can also deploy and take command of a drone that can travel in a limited radius around the player model, allowing you to fly around and build stuff more easily, but still not with a full topdown view.

The whole thing is bound to a single key toggle and iirc doesn't require any unlocks. It's a super convenient system without being too overpowered.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 28, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Fishstick posted:

You can build from first person pov, but you can also deploy and take command of a drone that can travel in a limited radius around the player model, allowing you to fly around and build stuff more easily, but still not with a full topdown view.

Not just build but also mine, which was a game changer when I figured that out. No more digging long ramps so I can get in and out of my ore caves.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
Finally started playing this yesterday and I'm already in love. It's lacking the 'scale' of production I'm used to from Factorio (as in, producing hundreds of thousands of items at once, I like numbers) but it makes up for that in sprawling distances of industry and being absolutely gorgeous to look at.

The couple of problems I have with the gameplay mostly involve the constant running back and forth to grab resources from where ever you are producing them. If there is some kind of delivery system akin to Factorio's bots I haven't found it yet. Due to the size of the buildings the factory gets big fast. Also the restricted power poles. I know they can be upgraded, but from a gameplay perspective it's just a bit of unneeded and unwanted complexity. Building an efficient factory is already complicated enough without power pole management.

Looking forward to seeing where the development takes it though. I hope they keep updating for years to come.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Man I made so many mistakes on this first playthrough.

I've got iron>ingots>pipes in 4 different areas of the same base and when one fills a storage container up, it's wasting resources because it could be contributing to workload elsewhere but isn't.
One thing I loved about Minecraft's Applied Energistics/Storage Reborn is self load balancing production lines via output buses.

Webguy20
Dec 31, 2007
I think the thing I would love to see is mega production. Have bigger machines that take 6 inputs to produce 2 cubic meter sized items that come out on a triple or quadruple sized belt. These could be transported to a landing pad where a drop ship comes and loads up to take them to a different part of the planet for the colonizing efforts or something like that. Have it take around 100 production cycles to make one. Like you're making agriculture equipment and things like that. So they require rubber, computers, reinforced frames, plating, wire, etc.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my biggest problem with this game is that building a load balancer was already annoying in factorio, but in this game it's nearly impossible after a certain (small) size and takes up an absolute assload of space

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

The worst part is that an actual load balancer is impossible because splitters round-robin through each output, and if an output can't take an item it doesn't just immediately shunt it to the next one, but actually NOPs for a tick. I really wonder if they just plain found themselves unable to implement the useful way of functioning.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It just makes no sense. They already have everything else set up, the issues that need to be solved are all things that can be fixed with a few lines of logic in the code. This isn't some "it would probably be really easy to code this" thing. If they properly set up the flags for the splitters, it would be as simple as creating a couple if-else statements to check the state or an output and ignore it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

One reason why so much space gets taken up is that the only input/output to smelters/constructors/assemblers is located exclusively in the front and rear, rather than side by side. This has so many bits for compacting conveyor belts but very little in the way to squeeze machinery together in an organized or organic way.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Think of the machines as part of the circuit rather than nodes connected by circuits. Belts only have one input and one output too.

My first hard drive had 3 choices, and I can't even remember what the first two was (think one was iron ingots -> screws), because the third choice was 2 Iron Ingots => 9 Wire.

I set up a copper feed anyhow. I've got the ratios set up for everything but screws, which I'm feeding 1.5 smelter output to (the other .5 is going to rods). I'm still manually making the 2nd order stuff because I built stuff too compact and have to tear everything down again.

Interesting bit so far was the cable setup. 1 normal mine => 2 smelters => 4 copper wire constructors. Two of those feed storage, the other two go to splitters to make 6 belts, which are then paired and fed into 3 combiners to feed 3 cable constructors. I just unlocked stackable stuff and I actually need the higher tier conveyers in order to make my outputs work.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I wonder if you could use the higher tier storage container (the one with 2 in 2 out) for load balancing?

Have 4/6/8 of them in a row, the last one feeding the first one and every now and again split off a belt from one of the extra [outs]

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The only use I can think of is as a way to convert two belts of uneven rate to two belts of equal rate.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If you have, say, 100 units/time of input, and one output that needs 60/t and one that needs 40/t, dual-output storage works for that. Alternatively, with 150/t input the storage would also work as a, well, storage for when you need to restock on whatever.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
Anyone know how save games handle game updates? Will old saves be compatible or is a restart required after every major patch?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TigerXtrm posted:

Anyone know how save games handle game updates? Will old saves be compatible or is a restart required after every major patch?

They've stayed compatible so far but migrated saves don't always have all the new features, and some of your constructions might be broken by changes in the map.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

I wonder if you could use the higher tier storage container (the one with 2 in 2 out) for load balancing?

Have 4/6/8 of them in a row, the last one feeding the first one and every now and again split off a belt from one of the extra [outs]

technically, they function identically to a splitter in factorio, so you could recreate a factorio load balancing design

this is a bad idea, don't do it

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

technically, they function identically to a splitter in factorio, so you could recreate a factorio load balancing design

this is a bad idea, don't do it

How come?

[edit] What about something like this?

Container > Splitter > Container > Merger > Container > Splitter etc

That way I have multiple places to insert / remove items as needed. Every iron mine I have going to one big smelty farm, every iron ingot I make going to the circle of storage units with an exit here for pipes, an exit there for metal plates, etc

Plus all the pipes I make can go to it's own storage circle, all metal plates to it's own storage circle and so on.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 2, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Finished this playthrough - only have jetpack not researched. I started out thinking I had things organized. Pure coal and caterium found nearby in the far south, plus the closest convenient sulfur. Next step is to set up a truck route to the quartz and oil north of me.

Let's look a bit closer at whatever that is going on in the middle there ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I found a real use for trucks. They are better for moving a lot of different *types* of items. Right now, I have a stack of conveyors to carry items from my aux production base, but it would be simplified by having a single vehicle carrying multiple item types.