Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bohemian Nights posted:

Attention lower right

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

I'm guessing its supposed to be some jab at how may was "clinging onto power" but the star clearly has no honour, so who knows

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MikeJF posted:

I mean it kinda fits Geordi had a Galaxy. (And a Galaxy that's been kept up-to-date is still gonna be a top-tier ship in 20 years, how long did Excelsiors last for? And they'll still have a role Sovereigns can't fill for a bunch of things, given it's like twice the size.)

(I get very defensive about the Galaxy it's my favourite damnit)

Galaxy is cool, though my fave's always been the Connie refit from Treks I-VI...which also never got seen in any of the shows, come to think of it.

That's neither here nor there, though. It was the fact that even when it would have made sense to see a Sov, like that ep, all the huge DS9 battles, that time when the Prometheus is being stolen and the Doctor has to steal it back, or even in the far future Enterprise ep where the Enterprise -J is there along with other older ships (like an Akira and a Prometheus) there's no Sovereign. Which is just a shame, really. I mean at least the Defiant showed up in First Contact, so it ins't as bad as the Netflix heroes getting locked outta the MCU films, but it still sucks. :sigh:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Galaxy is cool, though my fave's always been the Connie refit from Treks I-VI...which also never got seen in any of the shows, come to think of it.

That's neither here nor there, though. It was the fact that even when it would have made sense to see a Sov, like that ep, all the huge DS9 battles, that time when the Prometheus is being stolen and the Doctor has to steal it back, or even in the far future Enterprise ep where the Enterprise -J is there along with other older ships (like an Akira and a Prometheus) there's no Sovereign. Which is just a shame, really. I mean at least the Defiant showed up in First Contact, so it ins't as bad as the Netflix heroes getting locked outta the MCU films, but it still sucks. :sigh:

If Bridge Commander is any indication the Sovereign is a nice design on paper but in practice it is horrendously power-inefficient and has more technical gremlins than the Defiant.

Speaking of future designs though I did like the USS Rhode Island from the Endgame future being a refit of the Nova class.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

jng2058 posted:

:hfive:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

McSpanky posted:

Maybe Vulcan genes just express their phenotype much more strongly over the human genes, leading to a genetic hybrid that is nevertheless a biologically Vulcan entity in most practical respects. After all, Simon Tarses had a Romulan grandfather yet still looked about as Vulcan as Spock.

Simon Tarses and that guy who shot himself in the foot with a phaser were oddly open and at peach with their fuckups.

"I LIED on my starfleet application. I am WORSE THAN GARBAGE and UNTRUSTWORTHY."

"I am a COWARD. I VIOLATED MY OATH. I deserve a BATLEH TO THE HEAD."

Like it's very Roddenbery to see people talk like that.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Just going to leave this here:

Real Lawyer Reacts to Star Trek TNG Measure of a Man

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

This guy loving sucks I hate his stupid 80s villain look and his dumb industry and his stupid loving inability to even follow the case he's trying to critique

Like bud this case is about data's sentience, not his humanity, you dumb fuckin stupid rear end face rear end lawyer rear end butthead :ssj:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Lawyer from 1650 reacts to the OJ trial

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Whalley posted:

This guy loving sucks I hate his stupid 80s villain look and his dumb industry and his stupid loving inability to even follow the case he's trying to critique

Like bud this case is about data's sentience, not his humanity, you dumb fuckin stupid rear end face rear end lawyer rear end butthead :ssj:

Are you arguing semantics to explain why you hate lawyers?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cat Hatter posted:

Are you arguing semantics to explain why you hate lawyers?

Haven't watched the video, but that distinction is at the heart of the episode

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jng2058 posted:

The old Trek EU books were pretty good about all agreeing on some details, and one made sense: The E-E was only the second Sovereign class ever built. The only other one that was around in the Dominion War, the USS Sovereign, the books all ran with being Admiral Nechayev's flagship.

They had the Prometheus be a similar deal. There's the prototype, and then the USS Cerberus that was Admiral Ross's flagship, and that's about it for that class that got built during the war itself.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whalley posted:

it's about his inalienable human rights

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Automatic Slim posted:

Dallas and Dynasty had season cliffhangers long before. It took years for Sam Malone to get his bar back.

“Who shot J.R.?”

Why is Bobby, who died last season, in my shower?

Terrorists just mowed down the Carrington wedding. Who made it out alive?

“Sammy got the bar back!”

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." *tries to defuse the nuke but accidentally sets it off and San Francisco disappears under a mushroom cloud*

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

cheetah7071 posted:

Haven't watched the video, but that distinction is at the heart of the episode

The distinction between if Data is sentient or has humanity? Aside from there being a lot of overlap between humans and sentient beings, sentience isn't specifically mentioned until Picard's closing argument and the episode is titled "Measure of a Man"

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Nodosaur posted:

They're generally the fanboy equivalents of old men yelling at clouds that are mad at things not being like when they were kids. They're also pretty misogynistic and generally just not funny. Whatever valid criticisms there are of Discovery (and there are many) I'm not really interested in seeing them through their eyes.

100% false. There's so much false information in this post I feel like you have an agenda.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tighclops posted:

DS9 blew up a whole galaxy glass like a week after TNG ended and they still got letters from idiots thinking they blew up the Enterprise

A Galaxy class ship blew up in TNG too. Then the Enterprise blew up multiple times sometimes multiple times in the same episode! :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cat Hatter posted:

The distinction between if Data is sentient or has humanity? Aside from there being a lot of overlap between humans and sentient beings, sentience isn't specifically mentioned until Picard's closing argument and the episode is titled "Measure of a Man"

Riker's argument is "Data isn't a biological human(oid)" and Picard's counterargument sidesteps that by saying it isn't relevant

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I said come in! posted:

A Galaxy class ship blew up in TNG too.

One of my first memories of TNG when I was a kid was catching bits and pieces of "Cause and Effect" on a staticy 15 inch tv in a hospital waiting room when it first aired. I was so confused that they literally killed the entire cast and more confused as to why the network kept replaying their destruction over and over again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Data is a real person and I am very protective of him.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

lovely Wizard posted:

100% false. There's so much false information in this post I feel like you have an agenda.

why did you vote for trump

Whalley posted:

it was interesting at first and got repeatedly boring and stupid.

ACTUALLY IF THIS WAS A COURT OF US LAW, TYRION WOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO BLAH BLAH BLAH

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Whalley posted:

He's not approaching it from a question of whether he agrees with the case or not. He's concerned with advocacy in the more general sense. He's making an educational youtube show about law for people interested in law and beginner law students and is using trial examples from popular culture to help teach the concepts used in modern US jurisprudence.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

cheetah7071 posted:

Riker's argument is "Data isn't a biological human(oid)" and Picard's counterargument sidesteps that by saying it isn't relevant

Riker argues that data is a machine made by a man, Picard counters by saying it isn't relevant by pointing out that so are humans. Data's sentience and humanity are treated synonymously throughout the episode the way Spock's emotions were treated as his humanity in TOS.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

jng2058 posted:

The movie Connie model was apparently a pain in the rear end to work with - it was bigger and heavier than any of the other studio models, it had internal lights that kept burning out, it had a reflective surface that looked cool as hell when lit perfectly and like garbage when it wasn't... so they avoided using it whenever possible. Both the Stargazer and the Bozeman were originally going to be refit-Connies, but the effects guys apparently found it easier to make new models for them than try and work with the existing one.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

How hard is it for Starfleet to make a ship, though? They have literal magic machines to make parts on demand, instantly put them in the worksite, then move them around the site without having to touch them.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The law guy said that TNG did a great job with making the court scene realistic so I don't get the hate. He gave GOT Tyrion's court scene a pretty bad grade though that was meant to be a phony trial.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hope he does The Drumhead and then that one where Worf is on trial

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

ISN'T. IT. POSSIBLE?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

And then Devil's Due.

"The advocate will refrain from making her opponent disappear."

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I enjoy the silly lawyer man's videos even though he relates everything to US law, and wish he would do another Phoenix Wright one. I want to hear him talking about the precedent in American case law for hearing the testimony of ghosts.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

marktheando posted:

I enjoy the silly lawyer man's videos even though he relates everything to US law, and wish he would do another Phoenix Wright one. I want to hear him talking about the precedent in American case law for hearing the testimony of ghosts.

I want a realism critique of this landmark trial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRp0VT9PxA

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

marktheando posted:

The whole point is to make amusing teaching aids for American lawyers in training, so it is always going come back to American law, even when it doesn't make sense. Like Westerosi law ain't built on the same foundations as American law, and even if Starfleet's military code of justice does resemble American law there's hundreds of years and several intervening nations (United Earth, Coalition of Planets, and then the Federation) to say nothing how integrating the Vulcan, Andorian, and Tellerite legal systems at the Coalition and Federation stages would have changed Starfleet's legal codes.

But I find his analysis interesting nevertheless and quite enjoy his breakdowns, whether they're particularly relevant or not.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

jng2058 posted:

The whole point is to make amusing teaching aids for American lawyers in training, so it is always going come back to American law, even when it doesn't make sense. Like Westerosi law ain't built on the same foundations as American law, and even if Starfleet's military code of justice does resemble American law there's hundreds of years and several intervening nations (United Earth, Coalition of Planets, and then the Federation) to say nothing how integrating the Vulcan, Andorian, and Tellerite legal systems at the Coalition and Federation stages would have changed Starfleet's legal codes.

But I find his analysis interesting nevertheless and quite enjoy his breakdowns, whether they're particularly relevant or not.

all of those other alien legal systems were lame and for nerds. HUMANITY FOREVER!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Astroman posted:

The funniest thing about all that is in all my years of watching syndicated repeats in the 80s and 90s, they never actually showed any series out of order that I can recall. It was just easier to run them as they were.

My station would do a thing where they reran TNG/DS9 S1-S7, and then after season 7 they'd do a couple theme weeks. Five ~time travel!~ eps, then alternate universes, Borg, stuff like that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rrqj7rq43o

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Powered Descent posted:

I want a realism critique of this landmark trial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRp0VT9PxA

I really wish the scene ended with the guy asking for a beam up and then just standing there

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Angry_Ed posted:

If Bridge Commander is any indication the Sovereign is a nice design on paper but in practice it is horrendously power-inefficient and has more technical gremlins than the Defiant.

Speaking of future designs though I did like the USS Rhode Island from the Endgame future being a refit of the Nova class.

The Sovereign in Bridge Commander was a prototype, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Angry_Ed posted:

I just dredged my copy of Bridge Commander out of storage, so that’s a fun time coming soon.

Also, I feel like if Voyager has been a Nova Class ship, I’d be a lot kinder to the series as a whole. The Intrepid class is fugly as sin. Goddamn space trowel with tiny nacelles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Also, I feel like if Voyager has been a Nova Class ship, I’d be a lot kinder to the series as a whole. The Intrepid class is fugly as sin. Goddamn space trowel with tiny nacelles.

Although I thought that the Future Nova from endgame was way better looking than the original one.

Just smoooooooth it out

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I started to say that Voyager would look better with a definable engineering section and larger nacelles that rise above the saucer, but that’s literally the Nova class.

Voyager really is hideous :laugh: