Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

I think a refund request is reasonable given a 25% increase could push the game into u reasonable expensive for the consumer.
And too many refund requests will ruin the entire project, so yeah, it's a terrible situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I like how BGG and Reddit immediately shut down or limit talk of the tariffs because it gets too "political." As if anyone could support these stupid-rear end burdens in the first place. My suspicions are that the tabletop hobby has too many loving maga chuds in it.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

I like how BGG and Reddit immediately shut down or limit talk of the tariffs because it gets too "political." As if anyone could support these stupid-rear end burdens in the first place. My suspicions are that the tabletop hobby has too many loving maga chuds in it.

I play boardgames to get away from politics!!!!!!!11 :qq::qq::qq:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It may be reasonable to ask for a request, but I also think it's reasonable for some creators to refuse. When I made bee Lives all of the money raised was spent on the project. Refunds would not be possible at this point.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
I cannot get over these old man faced hamster miniatures.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2126421571/the-hamsters-journey-by-cartoon-miniatures-scalebro?ref=discovery_category_popular

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nesbit37 posted:

It may be reasonable to ask for a request, but I also think it's reasonable for some creators to refuse. When I made bee Lives all of the money raised was spent on the project. Refunds would not be possible at this point.

You can explain the situation to your backers and probably a lot of them would sympathize and swallow the cost, but refusing refunds to people who ask nevertheless will stir up some pretty nasty backlash, too.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

That's a really rough situation. I suppose you could sell the copies that people aren't willing to pay extra shipping for. Even if you do give refunds for those copies, you could still break even or better. The problem is finding interested buyers. You do have at least one (me).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, Bee Lives luckily is find, but I know some fellow publishers that are definitely freaking out with games that are not going to make it out of China in the next week or two.

I agree, refusing refunds would have backlash, but what are you supposed to do? If it's a couple people sure, but it can very quickly get into the hundreds and thousands of dollars. I dont think anyone is going to take out a loan to pay backers for something like this.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

That'll haunt me.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Hey, you all remember Salt in Wounds, that setting created on rpg.net about a city butchering an ever regenerating Tarrasque that a guy thought he could make a whole book out of? Well, after two and a half years, the dream is over.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cat Face Joe posted:

Hey, you all remember Salt in Wounds, that setting created on rpg.net about a city butchering an ever regenerating Tarrasque that a guy thought he could make a whole book out of? Well, after two and a half years, the dream is over.

Let me guess, he thought that gimmick was enough? I mean, it's a nice hook, but...

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Dust Wardens has just hit Kickstarter -- it's apparently a queer RPG about community and polyamory, but even though I'm not queer, not poly, and I hate communities it looks interesting enough to throw $5 at.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

potatocubed posted:

Dust Wardens has just hit Kickstarter -- it's apparently a queer RPG about community and polyamory, but even though I'm not queer, not poly, and I hate communities it looks interesting enough to throw $5 at.

I like the whale tier of $500 where you get gently caress all except a "this whale contributed to this book" title as an entry into the final book.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Dawgstar posted:

Let me guess, he thought that gimmick was enough? I mean, it's a nice hook, but...

seems like he was in way over his head. look at the list of rewards. tarrasque jerky? come on. there was just too much for one person to complete

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

kinkouin posted:

I like the whale tier of $500 where you get gently caress all except a "this whale contributed to this book" title as an entry into the final book.

Why would you give the person who contributes the most, absolutely nothing? I don’t get it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I don't get it either, but I had a similar tier for Pigsmoke and someone bought it. After I funded, no less.

The best bit of KS advice I ever read was 'include whale tiers, because they don't hurt anyone and you might get lucky and hook a passing whale'.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

potatocubed posted:

I don't get it either, but I had a similar tier for Pigsmoke and someone bought it. After I funded, no less.

The best bit of KS advice I ever read was 'include whale tiers, because they don't hurt anyone and you might get lucky and hook a passing whale'.

No, I get that, but would it hurt anything to give the whale rewards anyway? Is there some kind of status in paying a lot of money for nothing in return? Wouldn't at least giving the whale the rewards help hook a whale? I guess I'm not rich enough to understand.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

No, I get that, but would it hurt anything to give the whale rewards anyway? Is there some kind of status in paying a lot of money for nothing in return? Wouldn't at least giving the whale the rewards help hook a whale? I guess I'm not rich enough to understand.

idk it seems like a natural outgrowth of wild income inequality. I'm sure in the past I've dropped a larger % of my net wealth on a tip at a Denny's than some folks would drop on a kickstarter whale tier. I know studies show that having more money makes one a worse person, but c'mon it's just one banana, what could it cost, $10?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like it's logical to have a "I don't particularly want any rewards, but I do want to give you a large amount of money" tier even if the only person who's likely to choose it is your parents.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It's just weird because it doesn't offer any way to get a book as well if you wanted that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

potatocubed posted:

On one hand I'm all about supporting queer creators. On the other hand, I cannot think of a time when I will actually run a game about magical polyamory. Does anyone have a history with these writers, is this likely to be worth buying just to read?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't remember seeing this posted in the last few pages: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gauntlet/hearts-of-wulin

Wuxia melodrama PbtA, there's a preview on the KS page and it actually looks good (good, thematic base moves and authors who understand the source material).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nesbit37 posted:

I agree, refusing refunds would have backlash, but what are you supposed to do? If it's a couple people sure, but it can very quickly get into the hundreds and thousands of dollars. I dont think anyone is going to take out a loan to pay backers for something like this.

I'd be explicit that there's not enough money left to provide hundreds or thousands in refunds, and provide a complete breakdown (particularly if one hasn't been given in prior updates) of where the money went to account for it all. You'll get some bonkers people who do say "I don't care, dig yourself deep into debt to satisfy me!!", sure, but all someone can do at that point is provide the most professional "no" possible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'd be explicit that there's not enough money left to provide hundreds or thousands in refunds, and provide a complete breakdown (particularly if one hasn't been given in prior updates) of where the money went to account for it all. You'll get some bonkers people who do say "I don't care, dig yourself deep into debt to satisfy me!!", sure, but all someone can do at that point is provide the most professional "no" possible.

Ran a board game club in college. We needed to increase membership to keep the budget. When we advertised, everyone asked for monopoly and risk, which we didn't have because they were too casual. It cost us $20 to buy that a few other casual games. It got membership up enough to keep our $500/semster budget, which allowed us to keep hosting our once-per-semester tournamets and our annunal multi-club convention.

Older members hated me for wasting our budget on them because "it comes from our tutition and this is a waste of our momey."

Point: if people feel ownership of money, they feel they should all individually have complete say on its allocation and will hound you for anything they wouldn't want it spent on, regardless of the bigger picture.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

Ran a board game club in college. We needed to increase membership to keep the budget. When we advertised, everyone asked for monopoly and risk, which we didn't have because they were too casual. It cost us $20 to buy that a few other casual games. It got membership up enough to keep our $500/semster budget, which allowed us to keep hosting our once-per-semester tournamets and our annunal multi-club convention.

Older members hated me for wasting our budget on them because "it comes from our tutition and this is a waste of our momey."

Point: if people feel ownership of money, they feel they should all individually have complete say on its allocation and will hound you for anything they wouldn't want it spent on, regardless of the bigger picture.

Yeah like the ultimate goal would be to alienate as few people as possible and demonstrate you made a good faith effort with the money, but you'll always have a few weirdos that think giving you money automatically puts them on the Board of Directors. The situation with kickstarters impacted by this, at least, is that "We were hosed over by a completely unpredictable international trade war" is an explanation most people will accept, up there with "The hurricane ate our shipping facility".

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 26, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The designer of Wingspan has launched a kickstarter for a cute, ultra-light game about Victorian flower language. It looks interesting, and it is reasonably affordable for Americans. For everyone else, I'm surprised such a small game would have that sort of shipping cost.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/239309591/tussie-mussie-by-elizabeth-hargrave-wingspan

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

golden bubble posted:

The designer of Wingspan has launched a kickstarter for a cute, ultra-light game about Victorian flower language. It looks interesting, and it is reasonably affordable for Americans. For everyone else, I'm surprised such a small game would have that sort of shipping cost.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/239309591/tussie-mussie-by-elizabeth-hargrave-wingspan

This is adorable and flower language is one of my interests; thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

golden bubble posted:

Oh, the Buttonshy wallet games are generally great, and really good value (aside from shipping).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/altar-quest

Altar Quest is live. It's a new dungeon-crawl by the Sadler Bros who made Warhammer Quest:ACG, Street Masters, and Brook City. It uses their modular deck system (kinda like Sentinels of the Multiverse), so you can mix up hero/villain/quest decks to make whatever scenario you'd like.

I'm always up for whatever they make and they even include a mini-expansion designed by Isaac Childres (creator of Gloomhaven), so that's cool.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/altar-quest

Altar Quest is live. It's a new dungeon-crawl by the Sadler Bros who made Warhammer Quest:ACG, Street Masters, and Brook City. It uses their modular deck system (kinda like Sentinels of the Multiverse), so you can mix up hero/villain/quest decks to make whatever scenario you'd like.

I'm always up for whatever they make and they even include a mini-expansion designed by Isaac Childres (creator of Gloomhaven), so that's cool.

This looks like the closest thing to the original Hero Quest without actually claiming it has the license

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That was my first thought too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MollyMetroid posted:

This looks like the closest thing to the original Hero Quest without actually claiming it has the license
Yeah, they're definitely going for a Hero Quest spiritual successor (in terms of board design at least, not gameplay).
It makes me wish they had sent an early copy to this guy for promotion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

Edit: Ah, they replied to me in the KS comments. Apparently they did try to reach out to him. Wonder why it fell through.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 28, 2019

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I don't even need to open the video link to know that I had thought exactly the same when I saw the doors.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Man, I thought I was safe from Brook City and then I noticed it was actually a coop game with the same modular deck system instead of...whatever I thought it was, and...damnit. :(

Also backed Altar Quest immediately, natch.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

One of those Sadler Bros reminds me of Mack from Always Sunny.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

djfooboo posted:

One of those Sadler Bros reminds me of Mack from Always Sunny.
Haha, I thought so too! The fact that they always put themselves in their games as extra goofy action-hero characters also seems like something Mac would want to do.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 28, 2019

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Crusader Kings is shipping tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to sentencing my friends to death

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jarvisi posted:

Crusader Kings is shipping tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to sentencing my friends to death

UK fulfilment begins May 31.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is Street Masters good? I missed both kickstarter but it looks like something my friends would really enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is Street Masters good? I missed both kickstarter but it looks like something my friends would really enjoy.

I'd like to know, too. At the very least it looked like a good source of Feng Shui 2 miniatures.