Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

In brighter news I've kicked my drinking habit and am working out again! And I'm getting a group of friends back together. My personal life is fine, it's my professional life that sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

cool dance moves posted:

oh hey grades got posted I felt pretty good about the exams so I'm guessing i did alright!

:smith: oh

How much of an effect are these grades? Are we talking "retake courses" level, or "lower gpa" level?

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Xanderkish posted:

How much of an effect are these grades? Are we talking "retake courses" level, or "lower gpa" level?

I still get the credits but my GPA is gonna be pulled down to the point that I should probably retake them. Especially since this is law school and the material in question is going to come up in the bar exam.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

cool dance moves posted:

I still get the credits but my GPA is gonna be pulled down to the point that I should probably retake them. Especially since this is law school and the material in question is going to come up in the bar exam.

That seems very doable, if unfortunately pricey. And should you take them the second time around, you'll both have the knowledge of the first run-through and an idea of what worked and what didn't when studying. Might set you up to be better equipped for the bar than taking it only once, even with a high grade.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

cool dance moves posted:

In brighter news I've kicked my drinking habit and am working out again! And I'm getting a group of friends back together. My personal life is fine, it's my professional life that sucks rear end

Good for you! Also, 'grats on having gainful employment!

Little Acorns
Apr 5, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I used to be a healthy and happy person albeit fragile. Now i just want to drink myself and starve myself to death. I wish i was never born.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Little Acorns posted:

I used to be a healthy and happy person albeit fragile. Now i just want to drink myself and starve myself to death. I wish i was never born.

At the very least, please find a therapist to discuss this with before it's too late.

Little Acorns
Apr 5, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Chokes McGee posted:

At the very least, please find a therapist to discuss this with before it's too late.

its too late.. i was already at the end of my rope but trying to come back and was then crushed by the first person i put my trust in after being hurt by every man thats ever entered my life. I was sadistically abused my whole life, i was kidnapped and raped, and ive been hurt and abused by every man i ever dated. this guy just tortured my already fragile heart and now blames me for everything and hates me. this time i just cant come back. i just want to die.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Little Acorns posted:

its too late.. i was already at the end of my rope but trying to come back and was then crushed by the first person i put my trust in after being hurt by every man thats ever entered my life. I was sadistically abused my whole life, i was kidnapped and raped, and ive been hurt and abused by every man i ever dated. this guy just tortured my already fragile heart and now blames me for everything and hates me. this time i just cant come back. i just want to die.

Reposting sections of the OP:

quote:

It is important to remember that SA's community is not designed to provide therapy or psychiatric advice, nor should it be a substitute for valid professional psychiatric care. If you feel like you need help, we strongly recommend that you seek out professional help through some resources that we have listed below:

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
The Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255
Crisis Text Line
If you are an International Goon, please look here for some resources: http://www.suicide.org/internationa...e-hotlines.html.

quote:

everything is awful get me off of this planet

Please do not commit suicide. Suicide sucks. Your last thoughts will be filled with regret: the people you're leaving behind, the life you could've had, the conditions that drove you to this point of incredible pain where there was only one way left. If you are feeling suicidal, call:

* Your therapst (if you have one)
* A close friend or family member (if you have one)
* The Suicide Prevention Hotline is always there for you.

If you have the insurance, go to a mental hospital immediately and request a voluntary stay. Most stays will last a week, and if you checked yourself in, you can check yourself out at any time (but don't do that). You can get a note at the end saying you were under medical care which will probably keep you from getting fired (but probably not paid either). If your company offers it and you can afford it, consider taking short term disability afterwards.

But, most importantly, just call someone. Reach out. Please.

This is the internet, and I can't make you do anything. But, before you do anything, please at least call the number above and talk to someone. And, if you can manage that and afford it, try an in-patient stay at the hospital. They're there to help.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
need to add this so you guys know what happened and why.

forums policy (as I understand it) for a user who is actively, openly suicidal is a probation with a list of resources. besides liabilities issues, we’ve got to get you off the forums and back into real life with the resources you need to get help.

I am very lax on the probate button here, including comedy probations, but this is an unfortunate necessity. please don’t be scared to post here though if you’re going through rough times. however, understand that during moments of extreme crisis, the forums are probably the last place you should be around, especially cspam.

thanks for your understanding and patience.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i hope she comes back

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

i hope she comes back

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

i hope she comes back

Yeah. Me too.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I hope she's okay.

Chokes McGee posted:

need to add this so you guys know what happened and why.

forums policy (as I understand it) for a user who is actively, openly suicidal is a probation with a list of resources. besides liabilities issues, we’ve got to get you off the forums and back into real life with the resources you need to get help.

I am very lax on the probate button here, including comedy probations, but this is an unfortunate necessity. please don’t be scared to post here though if you’re going through rough times. however, understand that during moments of extreme crisis, the forums are probably the last place you should be around, especially cspam.

thanks for your understanding and patience.

Wait, are you a mod?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chokes McGee posted:

I mentioned it in the OP but I'm becoming more and more convinced a lot of issues can be resolved by cutting sugar intake back like a massive amount. It's stunning how much sugar is in things that you don't realize until you look for it.

I'm not just talking for diabetes purposes, it can't be good for emotional health to have your glucose spiking up and down every hour.

I've been doing a ton of research into bipolar / depression and Endocrinology and there's all these studies showing glucocorticoid receptor (cortisol receptor, heavily responsible for carbohydrate and lipid metabolism) polymorphisms in people with major depressive disorder and especially bipolar. I'm becoming more and more convinced bipolar is actually a metabolic disorder in the brain.

I know when I'll depressed I have literally no appetite and struggle to eat but somehow stay weight neutral or even gain weight and when I'm hypo or manic I eat everything in sight but manage to usually lose weight or put on muscle.

It got me thinking... the most effective antidepressants also cause weight gain and you can almost gauge their effectiveness based on that... what if they work mostly because they just make depressed people eat more :shepface:

The only weight neutral drug that works for bipolar is lithium and it's been shown to heavily alter thyroid function.

I know I feel better in general when I switch to a diet high in complex carbs. I focus better, my mood is better, everything.

Take my mad ramblings for what you will but at the very least cleaning up ones diet can't hurt.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

cool dance moves posted:

congrats, booze is a demon that will sap your strength

I'm on the same boat right now except with all drugs :)

I've not touched a stimulant, dissociative or gabaergic for weeks. I've limited my drinking to parties only (once a week, less than 10 standard drinks)

My social life is finally coming back together and I'm putting my poo poo back together to go back to school :kiddo:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mekyabetsu posted:

Wait, are you a mod?

Hell no, I'm an IK. Couldn't pay me enough to mod this place.

Still, if I need to start handing out sixers in the thread, I want you guys to know why.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I've been doing a ton of research into bipolar / depression and Endocrinology and there's all these studies showing glucocorticoid receptor (cortisol receptor, heavily responsible for carbohydrate and lipid metabolism) polymorphisms in people with major depressive disorder and especially bipolar. I'm becoming more and more convinced bipolar is actually a metabolic disorder in the brain.

what's odd about that is bipolar actually causes permanent changes to the brain if not regulated by medication. (See a psychiatrist, kids!)

Maybe we should start selling an SA brand of food for bipolar peeps. Someone get plinkey on the horn, I don't know how but there's gonna be jerky involved

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hulk hogan meat therapy

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chokes McGee posted:

what's odd about that is bipolar actually causes permanent changes to the brain if not regulated by medication. (See a psychiatrist, kids!)

Maybe we should start selling an SA brand of food for bipolar peeps. Someone get plinkey on the horn, I don't know how but there's gonna be jerky involved

Yeah, you see certain areas atrophy and fMRI shows decreased energy metabolism over time. IMO this is still in line with it being metabolic. You look at other metabolic disorders like Cushing's or Addison's and there's all kinds of weird stuff like that (Cushing's causes limb muscles to atrophy but the torso gains fat etc)

I gotta dive more but most of this stuff is only published within the past 6-12 months. I'm holding out hope that we might see some kind of selective glucocorticoid agonist that treats tons of the negative symptoms of Bipolar without all the side effects.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

FactsAreUseless posted:

hulk hogan meat therapy

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
A good pastrami sandwich made me happy this weekend - I think there's something to this idea

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

A good pastrami sandwich made me happy this weekend - I think there's something to this idea

FactsAreUseless posted:

hulk hogan meat therapy

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FactsAreUseless posted:

hulk hogan meat therapy

We all saw the video, it doesn't work.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

edit: sorry, this was unnecessary

mekyabetsu has issued a correction as of 06:03 on May 27, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Get a pet and exercise

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I can't take it anymore. I am alone because I have no life and I have no life because I am alone. Therapy is not working. Society might genuinely collapse in the next decade. The few people I mention this to refuse to believe it. No one cares about my wellbeing but care enough about whether I die that I am still trapped here for their sake. Help.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
:same: :sympathy:

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I got a weird question for you guys

So my mom has been going slightly..weird with vitamin cure all things and when I mentioned some of my problems she made me a care package of vitamins, the Dr Atkins book and a book called the Mood Cure, she gave me a bottle of "Gaba", a bottle of magnesium, and a bottle of HTP 5

Do anyone of these things actually have any sort of tangible benefit or is it all just snake oil?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mordor She Wrote posted:

So my mom has been going slightly..weird with vitamin cure all things and when I mentioned some of my problems she made me a care package of vitamins, the Dr Atkins book and a book called the Mood Cure, she gave me a bottle of "Gaba", a bottle of magnesium, and a bottle of HTP 5

Do anyone of these things actually have any sort of tangible benefit or is it all just snake oil?

gaba prolly not magnesium maybe htp5 yes but its super bad for you other ways

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AceOfFlames posted:

I can't take it anymore. I am alone because I have no life and I have no life because I am alone. Therapy is not working. Society might genuinely collapse in the next decade. The few people I mention this to refuse to believe it. No one cares about my wellbeing but care enough about whether I die that I am still trapped here for their sake. Help.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record check the op and feel free to give the crisis center a call. you don’t have to wait until you’re ready to off yourself, believe me. Nows the time to call before you get there.

Have you see a psychiatrist yet?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record check the op and feel free to give the crisis center a call. you don’t have to wait until you’re ready to off yourself, believe me. Nows the time to call before you get there.

Have you see a psychiatrist yet?

Yes but as I have repeatedly mentioned in several threads already he prescribed me generic Prozac, it stopped working, I told him this and in our next appointment he just went "well you sound better to me. I guess we can stop"

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

Yes but as I have repeatedly mentioned in several threads already he prescribed me generic Prozac, it stopped working, I told him this and in our next appointment he just went "well you sound better to me. I guess we can stop"

challenge the doctor on this. if they don't begin to change or at least explain their tune, find a new one

then find a new one anyway

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AceOfFlames posted:

They’re not all like that, I.e. horrible. No p-doc worth a good god drat is going to tell you you’re cured or you can just suddenly stop taking your meds.

I strongly urge you to look for another one. It does help, you just might have to fire one or two along the way.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

and then launch a warning buoy outside the doors of the office to warn future starships of the danger within

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

juche avocado posted:

challenge the doctor on this. if they don't begin to change or at least explain their tune, find a new one

then find a new one anyway

Chokes McGee posted:

They’re not all like that, I.e. horrible. No p-doc worth a good god drat is going to tell you you’re cured or you can just suddenly stop taking your meds.

I strongly urge you to look for another one. It does help, you just might have to fire one or two along the way.

Working on it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AceOfFlames posted:

Working on it.

:hai:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

always leave your doctor a bad online review

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

always leave your doctor a bad online review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mordor She Wrote posted:

GABA can't cross the blood brain barrier so it won't do anything.

Supplementing magnesium is generally an okay idea, it can autoregulate some receptors in the brain and helps offset excess sodium intake, helping with electrolyte balance.

5-HTP is legitimately psychoactive and is known to cause manic episodes in Bipolar people. It can also make you poo poo uncontrollably if you take too much. That being said it has be shown to be a low level mood booster if your serotonin levels are low.