Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pharnakes posted:

I, uhh, what?

It's a lil memeification on the ending of MGS:REVENGENCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
incredible

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

tfw you use the ascension war as a business to end the ascension war as a business

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 63

Here we go.

We get the crab general.

We awaken the Monstrum! Let's take a look...

that isn't water 4. that isn't water 4 AT ALL

It looks like it rerolled his paths when I GoR'd him. I have finally broken into blood.

He is also insane and trying to call my totally alive god back from the grave. Tartarians are a land of contrasts.

Another fine crevasse is found. +1 e gems.

C'tis must have lost a prophet 6 months ago. Did I kill one? Did someone else?

Phaecia clears those indies in the TC zone.

Saurowraiths push into the sea again.

We spy a huge dustup between Ulm and Phelgra...

Ulm has a a neatly arrayed line of troops and... are those giants??

grab and swallow. damage: 'special'

Phelgra has a lot of archers fronting for a pile of wizards.

and this thug tyrant

Phelegra leads with fire arrows and some mass buffs.

The green star in the corner is the Relief spell, helping fatigue for phelegra as they wind up casts of acid rain, paralyze and petrify by the looks. Their Tyrant is paralyzed already.

The Ulm artillery starts to stream in but not before Phelgra gets off a Battlefield Control, granting all its units luck. Next they start casting Conflagration.

better lucky than good

Conflagration sets everyone in an apparently wide swath on fire, which ticks fire damage for every turn it isn't put out. All those hill giants up there with the faded coloring are petrified by the way. Petrify no-save petrifies the target for a few turns and there is a save or die when it ends it seems. Or so the new tooltips say that didn't exist when this turn happened.

The lucky archers appear to have no trouble keeping the ulmish lines from reaching the many many wizards in the Phelgra back line. #HowlReasons

Between being constantly on fire and panic spam the Ulm troops have had it.

Being petrified makes you take half damage from piercing and slashing by the way.

Many of the archers seem to have had it themselves and begin to flee as a few struggling Ulm troops try to get some wizards.

so close

but alas

A bad fight for all, really. 20 shackled mages was 20 communion slaves which meant his other wizards were probably swinging +4 to all their spell paths or so. They were probably killed because that is life in communions.

On to events.

will this ever end

a bunch of tritons do i have any pd here

ha ha yes get fuckedddd

Death to all usurpers!

death!

This was the province I was moving through to hit C'tis.

Why is everything so sinister in my domain???

RIP another evil mage.

Phaecia patrols out a scout.

We got our island fortress set up.

I start advancing once more at C'tis. I move Super-Ariel to intercept the saurowraiths if they come by sea, and Cyborg Prince Eric: Revengeance to the fort if they try to come at us through there. I move my Hekateride back so howl doesnt surround the saurowraiths with infinite sleeping wolves so my golem can't get to them. Sometimes howl can weirdly backfire like that. See also a pile of fatigued out wolves around a monolith until turn timer hits. Looking at you, watcher thrones.

Phelegra is on the Marignon cap fort but it is not broken yet.

Now that I have construction 8 I start making this thing to permakill saurowraths-

Also I see the following items are already forged (all construction 8 items are unique)-

it is always popular

Threatening! Stay out of the sea mystery construction 8 nation!

Seduction ability? Cool, cool.

Orders overview. Pushing toward c'tis coast here. Two thrones is honesty too many for anyone but me at this stage of this Kremath Throne Points Game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
200 size points water breathing allows you to bring 100 normal troops into the sea. That's pretty good.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Is it time to rush down Blood research and start hunting with that Monstrum? I suppose there are only a few provinces Ramc can even hunt in though, since UW can't be hunted.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lando131 posted:

Is it time to rush down Blood research and start hunting with that Monstrum? I suppose there are only a few provinces Ramc can even hunt in though, since UW can't be hunted.

It would take awhile to get a blood economy up and running for a few reasons including the one you cite. Blood is powerful but there is really no 'rushing' it in Pelagia's current position.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's a horror sitting on an independent province. I hope that's because someone had a marked commander and not because a horror cannon is up and running.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

wiegieman posted:

There's a horror sitting on an independent province. I hope that's because someone had a marked commander and not because a horror cannon is up and running.

The 'good' news is that it is the result of an event. Send Horror spell horrors disappear at the end of the the turn, leaving a defenderless indie province.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
actually casts of send horror disappear after one battle. so if they show up and theres nobody there to fight they will just hang out

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Amulet of the Doppelganger posted:

It works just as well on a large golem
Not talking about anyone in particular, no sir

wiegieman posted:

What's a horror cannon?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The even better news is that it's on the Hero roster IIRC, unless there's another province that has seen the same event.

Also

Ramc posted:

Why is everything so sinister in my domain???

I seem to recall a certain Global cast a turn earlier..

Ramc posted:

:thunk:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ramc posted:

It would take awhile to get a blood economy up and running for a few reasons including the one you cite. Blood is powerful but there is really no 'rushing' it in Pelagia's current position.
At least you can skip the "hunt enough slaves to empower a mage in blood" phase of it which is nice and skip to "hunt enough slaves to more blood hunter".

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Pierzak posted:

What's a horror cannon?

The Send Horror spell is a high level Astral/Blood spell that's one of the best ways to attack a province remotely. If you get a couple casters and enough blood income to support it you can clear out every single un-forted province an enemy holds in short order without even having to march your armies over it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shackled Mages may be somewhat cheap and expendable, but that's still a LOT to lose in one fight, especially considering the negligible mage losses in that fight by Ulm, to say nothing of the loss of a cap-only mage too. They still take time to actually build and mass, after all. Gold losses by Phlegra were significantly higher, and they're losses harder to quickly replace as well.

Unless there's something I'm missing, I dunno why Ulm's burning gems and mage turns on giants though (unless they were free from something?). Even if they can eat tyrants - and I have no clue if they can - that's really niche given the huge amounts of chaff.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The real question is what were Ulm's mages doing? The 11 smiths didn't kill anything at all and the priests killed a paltry 23.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

The real question is what were Ulm's mages doing? The 11 smiths didn't kill anything at all and the priests killed a paltry 23.

Part of the problem was the luck buff negating 75% of killshots and part of the problem was that Perpetual Storm eats 50% of projectiles.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It occurs to me there really should be battlefield spells to dispel global effects. You can cast battle storm and darkness, so why not a battle only calm and light?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Solar brilliance will cancel darkness.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

It occurs to me there really should be battlefield spells to dispel global effects. You can cast battle storm and darkness, so why not a battle only calm and light?

Sorry magic can only make things worse in dominions

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Ramc posted:

I'll use my earthquake spell to dig up more efficiently

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ramc posted:

The horrors are the true heroes of Dominions, eating all the mages and pretenders that are loving everything up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

uguu posted:

Solar brilliance will cancel darkness.

Solar brilliance is also supposed to make everyone slowly go blind

Or in other words,

Ramc posted:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I'm not saying peasants killing wizards constantly in my random events is empirically wrong, it isn't, it is just extremely inconvenient to my personal dreams of hegemony.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lord Koth posted:

Unless there's something I'm missing, I dunno why Ulm's burning gems and mage turns on giants though (unless they were free from something?). Even if they can eat tyrants - and I have no clue if they can - that's really niche given the huge amounts of chaff.

Giants are fairly cost effective for two things: Being giant sacks of HP used as bait for damaging evocations, and destroying solo raiding thugs. The kind of buffs/gear that are good at clearing PD are usually bad for dealing with a giant who can just eat you.

Big army fights, not so much.

The mage turns could be from recruit anywhere indies with bad researcher trait, which would make them kind of useless for research in Ulm's dominion.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Ramc posted:

It’s pretty telling that there are only two globals improving things for everyone, and one of those is typically a prelude to your local Death nation deciding to ruin things for everyone else. I’d say that makes the Nature mages the most moral of the lot, but considering how low that bar is and one ritual is “the forest starts eating everyone else” that doesn’t mean much.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Giants are reasonably cheap too. The spell only costs three gems, and Ulm tends to get a lot of earth gems; if they lucked into a conjuration discount site they might be getting them for two. It does require an E3 mage (though even an E1 mage can do it with a couple boosters of course).

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 26, 2019

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

FrenchBen posted:

It’s pretty telling that there are only two globals improving things for everyone, and one of those is typically a prelude to your local Death nation deciding to ruin things for everyone else. I’d say that makes the Nature mages the most moral of the lot, but considering how low that bar is and one ritual is “the forest starts eating everyone else” that doesn’t mean much.

There's Six, Gift of Health(care), Gift of Nature's Bounty (Stuff grows faster and tastes better), Celestial Rainbow (everyone in your dom is luckier), Fata Morgana (Directly makes people happy, pretty creepy), Well of Misery (Drains suffering out of people, kinda creepy and the prelude to hordes of undead) and finally, Sea of Ice (Keeps all that life underneath the waves, which corresponds in many ways to that on dry land, you know, from bothering the surface folk, and prevents the elves, colossi and Spanish inquisition etc. from sailing, all great news in my book). Riches from Beneath gets an honorable mention for making life easier for Miners.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
steal the sun makes everything better for (bat) people!

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

violent sex idiot posted:

steal the sun makes everything better for (bat) people!

End of Culture makes everything better for Oni, and Illwinter makes this game everything better for Frost Giants.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I feel like the Mother Oak is a pretty benign spell that, while not making everything better, would at least be really pretty and doesn't do anything harmful to the citizenry of the planet.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Purgatory lights all non friendly undead in your domain on fire so that's pretty okay in my book.

EDIT:

I can't believe we forgot about Riches From Beneath which turns the practice of mining from something harsh and dangerous to a truly uplifting experience.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I feel like the Mother Oak is a pretty benign spell that, while not making everything better, would at least be really pretty and doesn't do anything harmful to the citizenry of the planet.
Are you sure it's not fertilized with the tears of orphans or something?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Poil posted:

Are you sure it's not fertilized with the tears of orphans or something?

I assume that depends entirely on what province it's cast in.

EDIT:

What I'm saying is, change Mother Oak so that it generates more gems if it were cast in a province with a lot of corpses.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I thought fata morgana made people happy because all the chores get done by magical phantoms

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Ramc posted:

Purgatory lights all non friendly undead in your domain on fire so that's pretty okay in my book.

EDIT:

I can't believe we forgot about Riches From Beneath which turns the practice of mining from something harsh and dangerous to a truly uplifting experience.

I mentioned Riches, just an honorable one, though, since it only helps miners. I will give you Purgatory, though, burning the undead is beneficial to all, including the undead.

Speleothing posted:

I thought fata morgana made people happy because all the chores get done by magical phantoms

It just says "Under the fata morgana life seems much easier and everyone is happy. Phantasmal Warriors will assist the local defence in defending the province against invaders and enemy scouts will be tricked by the illusions and give incorrect reports. All provinces in friendly dominion will be affected by the fata morgana." It doesn't say anything about the Phantasms doing anything to help your population, and specifically says life seems easier (it's also 10 unrest reduction per turn per province according to the new tooltip, that's some mighty powerful dystopia juice you're giving your population).

Veryslightlymad posted:

Most of the gem gens and such don't harm anyone directly, but they don't help anyone directly except the pretender who's nation cast it.

Alex0080 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 27, 2019

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Alex0080 posted:

Most of the gem gens and such don't harm anyone directly, but they don't help anyone directly except the pretender who's nation cast it.

Gale Gate explicitly causes widespread hurricanes as a side benefit of the air gem generation. This game.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Ramc posted:

Gale Gate explicitly causes widespread hurricanes as a side benefit of the air gem generation. This game.

Yup, most. Maelstrom would also suck if you happened to live near where it is cast, as "A huge magical maelstrom is created in a sea. The maelstrom constantly sucks in huge amounts of water and filters out its magical essence."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alex0080 posted:

Yup, most. Maelstrom would also suck if you happened to live near where it is cast, as "A huge magical maelstrom is created in a sea. The maelstrom constantly sucks in huge amounts of water and filters out its magical essence."