Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:lol: at D&D getting the job because they figured out that R+L=J but then had no idea how that was important to the rest of the story...
:rolleyes:

At this point does anyone think this actually happened the way it's told?

I'm guessing it was more like someone who skimmed the books ran it past HBO, and then when that went over well it was time for D&D to call up GRRM. Before they went to the actual dinner meeting, some assistant probably coached them on what to say. "He's a grumpy old man who doesn't want his series butchered, make sure you impress him by dropping key facts that we've researched, such as R+L=J". They sat down with him and ham-fistedly pulled it off, rattling off several facts correctly.

Later, after his memory of the event faded GRRM justified his decision in hindsight by incorrectly recalling that *he* was the one to bring it up and quiz them on things and that they impressed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

:lol: at D&D getting the job because they figured out that R+L=J but then had no idea how that was important to the rest of the story...

They promised him millions of dollars and delivered that part.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

D&D got the job because Benioff's dad was formerly head of Goldman Sachs and Weiss was friends with him from school.

Pretty much everyone in the industry has rich parents and great connections. They're both poo poo writers with terrible books in their inventory and their only claim to fame prior to GoT was the screenplay for Troy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How soon they forget Lucky Wander Boy and Wolverine Origins. Because who would remember? Literally 50-year-old men getting places by having their dads call up old subordinates for favors.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How soon they forget Lucky Wander Boy and Wolverine Origins. Because who would remember? Literally 50-year-old men getting places by having their dads call up old subordinates for favors.

I think I :airquote: get :airquote: Clegane Bowl, now... :ohdear:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Easy Rider posted:

As an Eisenstein fan, I've got to piggyback on this; contrast the coronation scene in Ivan the Terrible versus all of the 'world-changing' events shown in the last episode.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3fuke1

On a formal level alone, we're given a sense of monarchy as an institution, its attending fantasies, and so on; when he's "baptized" in gold coins, we get an idea of the fantasy life of monarchy (endless wealth, divine providence providing a mandate, etc.) and its falsities through editing alone- every time we cut the bowls of coins are 'refilled' to give us an impression of limitless abundance. What does the Stark montage that closes the show tell us, conversely? Nothing, other than "they were now at home in their own clothes, comfortable in suitable roles, etc."

More than even the writing, the show's direction has changed significantly since the fourth season; in earlier seasons, a huge amount of information was conveyed visually, and this was often used to embed 'individual' actions within the larger systems and history governing the setting. All of the execution scenes in these earlier seasons cite one another in terms of their composition; Ned's execution by Joffrey, the Karstark execution by Rob, and the Winterfell Master-at-Arm's execution by Theon are all shot similarly, for instance, and convey the same basic point about the basic limitations of honor and monarchical law and how the system perversely reproduces itself because of these basic limitations. Even when we were placed in the 'subjective' perspectives of characters, like when we see the Battle of the Blackwater from the Hound's perspective, it communicates a lot about the larger event beyond individual pathologies; the Hound's reaction tells us just as much, if not more, about the horror of the conflict as it does about his character.

The 'individual' scale portraits also benefited from contextualization provided through these views of the 'totality'; the Hound's lack of a proper place within the system while being unerringly drawn into its center, for instance, provides much better individual characterization from this position than Cleganebowl, for instance. Individual events are made to reflect back on the larger context, and both then benefit from it; the weird arrival of the new, Protestant-y Lord of Light is heralded as an event that breaks down the logic governing the situation by merit of its contrast with the Battle of the Blackwater, a similarity drawn on a purely visual level.

The action choreography and cinematography started playing second-fiddle to exposition somewhere around the fifth season; it was particularly notable during the various Harpies vs. Unsullied skirmishes and in the death of Dany's Queen's Guard. Everything we were meant to understand about both (the idea of the Unsullied as a disciplined, 'modern' army, the idea of the Harpies as the return of the 'repressed' system of slavery that wasn't actually abolished but allowed to persist with the illusion of the freedom of the masses while its structures remained intact, etc.) went out the window; instead it was 'television battle between two evenly matched sides fighting the same way'. The relation of either to their larger contexts just sort of disappeared. Occasionally the most memorable scenes of these later seasons seemed to 'get it' (I'm thinking of Hardhome's 'zombies as tide' imagery and the 'Westerosi Apocalypse Now dragon/helicopter attack' scenes), but by in large we sort of lose this entirely. This was the biggest problem with the Battle of Winterfell; individual scenes were shot as if its defenders were overrun, only to cut away, and upon returning they remain standing. All the individual units of action don't really add up to anything, and the death of the Night King is just sort of thrown in as a substitute answer at the end of its sort of unworkable equation. While the production design didn't become 'bad' in terms of its quality, its deployment gets derailed pretty badly at this point, too; take a look at the tourney scene in the first season and how the armor worn by the Mountain and Loras communicate everything one would want to know about the factions they represent and their role in the narrative. By season eight, everyone just sort of wears Stark clothing if they're a "good guy", and Lannister clothing if they're on the other side. The sole exception to this are some of the dresses, which continue to look pretty great, but these are again deployed to match individuals' personalities rather than their relationship to a larger situation.

So yeah, on both a formal level and on the level of writing, we see this change occur, and I think that's why things sort of drop off in terms of quality.

This owns and I wish I was half as good at posting/watching nerd shows

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In conclusion lock thread.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

I think I :airquote: get :airquote: Clegane Bowl, now... :ohdear:

Come on now.....wolverine origins was much more believable....

(jk clegane bowl was good)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

The Easy Rider posted:

As an Eisenstein fan, I've got to piggyback on this; contrast the coronation scene in Ivan the Terrible versus all of the 'world-changing' events shown in the last episode.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3fuke1

On a formal level alone, we're given a sense of monarchy as an institution, its attending fantasies, and so on; when he's "baptized" in gold coins, we get an idea of the fantasy life of monarchy (endless wealth, divine providence providing a mandate, etc.) and its falsities through editing alone- every time we cut the bowls of coins are 'refilled' to give us an impression of limitless abundance. What does the Stark montage that closes the show tell us, conversely? Nothing, other than "they were now at home in their own clothes, comfortable in suitable roles, etc."

More than even the writing, the show's direction has changed significantly since the fourth season; in earlier seasons, a huge amount of information was conveyed visually, and this was often used to embed 'individual' actions within the larger systems and history governing the setting. All of the execution scenes in these earlier seasons cite one another in terms of their composition; Ned's execution by Joffrey, the Karstark execution by Rob, and the Winterfell Master-at-Arm's execution by Theon are all shot similarly, for instance, and convey the same basic point about the basic limitations of honor and monarchical law and how the system perversely reproduces itself because of these basic limitations. Even when we were placed in the 'subjective' perspectives of characters, like when we see the Battle of the Blackwater from the Hound's perspective, it communicates a lot about the larger event beyond individual pathologies; the Hound's reaction tells us just as much, if not more, about the horror of the conflict as it does about his character.

The 'individual' scale portraits also benefited from contextualization provided through these views of the 'totality'; the Hound's lack of a proper place within the system while being unerringly drawn into its center, for instance, provides much better individual characterization from this position than Cleganebowl, for instance. Individual events are made to reflect back on the larger context, and both then benefit from it; the weird arrival of the new, Protestant-y Lord of Light is heralded as an event that breaks down the logic governing the situation by merit of its contrast with the Battle of the Blackwater, a similarity drawn on a purely visual level.

The action choreography and cinematography started playing second-fiddle to exposition somewhere around the fifth season; it was particularly notable during the various Harpies vs. Unsullied skirmishes and in the death of Dany's Queen's Guard. Everything we were meant to understand about both (the idea of the Unsullied as a disciplined, 'modern' army, the idea of the Harpies as the return of the 'repressed' system of slavery that wasn't actually abolished but allowed to persist with the illusion of the freedom of the masses while its structures remained intact, etc.) went out the window; instead it was 'television battle between two evenly matched sides fighting the same way'. The relation of either to their larger contexts just sort of disappeared. Occasionally the most memorable scenes of these later seasons seemed to 'get it' (I'm thinking of Hardhome's 'zombies as tide' imagery and the 'Westerosi Apocalypse Now dragon/helicopter attack' scenes), but by in large we sort of lose this entirely. This was the biggest problem with the Battle of Winterfell; individual scenes were shot as if its defenders were overrun, only to cut away, and upon returning they remain standing. All the individual units of action don't really add up to anything, and the death of the Night King is just sort of thrown in as a substitute answer at the end of its sort of unworkable equation. While the production design didn't become 'bad' in terms of its quality, its deployment gets derailed pretty badly at this point, too; take a look at the tourney scene in the first season and how the armor worn by the Mountain and Loras communicate everything one would want to know about the factions they represent and their role in the narrative. By season eight, everyone just sort of wears Stark clothing if they're a "good guy", and Lannister clothing if they're on the other side. The sole exception to this are some of the dresses, which continue to look pretty great, but these are again deployed to match individuals' personalities rather than their relationship to a larger situation.

So yeah, on both a formal level and on the level of writing, we see this change occur, and I think that's why things sort of drop off in terms of quality.

Good post

quote:

individual scenes were shot as if its defenders were overrun, only to cut away, and upon returning they remain standing.

God this was bullshit

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Strom Cuzewon posted:

S2 and 3 were the great when Sophie turner had her growth spurt and was towering over everyone.

How tall is Sophie Turner?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

How tall is Sophie Turner?

Google says 5’9”, but I feel like she’s taller than Kit Harrington, unless most of her scenes are just with Arya and Mayor Carcetti and they make her seem tall.

Also she’s married to Joe Jonas? I did not see that coming. It must be the realization of a childhood wish with adult wealth, like an investment banker who buys a carousel from the boardwalk he visited as a child.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he slid into her DMs. for real lol

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Hey good news no game of thrones tonight or ever again

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Google says 5’9”, but I feel like she’s taller than Kit Harrington

well Kit's like 5'6'' so the math checks out

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Farrier Theaks posted:

:same:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Farrier Theaks posted:

Jokes on you, I'm rewatching season 1. I almost forgot how good the show used to be.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

Jokes on you, I'm rewatching season 1. I almost forgot how good the show used to be.

I feel like the new way to watch GOT will be watch up to 4 and then skip around

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's funny to go back and realize the entire open is just a red herring. :asoiaf:

TulliusCicero posted:

Looking forward to the Amazon adaptation of the completed book series as a Bezos vanity project in ~17 years...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

he slid into her DMs. for real lol

drat even their irl relationships suffer from hack writing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

yeah i skipped through an incredible amount of seasons 5 and 6 on my rewatch.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

drat even their irl relationships suffer from hack writing

It’s like a version of that Natalie Portman/Moby thing where she was into it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Thank loving god this show is dead

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Thank loving god this show is dead

i mourn the show that could've been.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We got like five seasons of really good TV so not gonna complain too much. Most shows don’t even make it that far

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Imagine if Return of the King was such a wet fart, and they skipped most of Rohan and Helms Deep in favor of more Ent time

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

Imagine if Return of the King was such a wet fart, and they skipped most of Rohan and Helms Deep in favor of more Ent time
You're thinking of Two Towers.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

You're thinking of Two Towers.

I meant if the ending in general was bad and they skipped the good parts of the middle in Two Towers

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
not only is LOTR bad too but actually all stories are bad and the first caveperson who stood up around the campfire trying to grunt out a narrative at their fellow homo habilis or whatever the gently caress ???? yea their writing sucked rear end too. there's never been a non-hack writer, including the author of this dimension, the biggest hack there has ever been

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

crazy cloud posted:

not only is LOTR bad too but actually all stories are bad and the first caveperson who stood up around the campfire trying to grunt out a narrative at their fellow homo habilis or whatever the gently caress ???? yea their writing sucked rear end too. there's never been a non-hack writer, including the author of this dimension, the biggest hack there has ever been

Trump

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

crazy cloud posted:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Like, the ending equivalent to Lord of the Rings would be if Aragorn's story had changed to, rather than the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, Aragorn had convinced Eomer and Theoden to follow him to the Black Gate, where things proceeded much as normal, except Sam is completely a worthless piece of poo poo who curls up into a ball in the corner of the Crack of Doom room crying, then Gollum willfully throws the Ring and himself into the fire. Frodo and Sam both are saved because they're blown clear, where Gandalf and the Eagles show up.

Then, Aragorn, having tried to claim the Kingship but been denied by Denethor, leads the army to the Pelennor Fields, where he summons the Army of the Dead to kill everyone within the city and burn it to the ground. Then Arwen murders him and gets on the ship with her father and sails for Valinor.

Then Pippin's made King of Gondor, and his vassals are Gandalf, Sam, Treebeard, Faramir, and Wormtongue (having trouble coming up with a Bronn analogue). Sam wants to grow more food and Treebeard suggests clear-cutting the forests. Wormtongue's one contribution was killing Saruman.

Oh and literally nothing before the start of Return of the King is changed.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I watched the 2-hour final documentary, and my heart breaks for all the blood, sweat, and tears the cast and crew put into this season, only for it to come off as superhero movie drivel. Such disappointment.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Vegetable posted:

I thought the actors for Cersei and Bronn couldn't be in the same room together, but in Season 3 episode 1, Cersei walks out of Tyrion's room while Bronn waits outside. Doesn't look like they used a body double.

You... you realize they don't actually have, like, magic forcefields that keep them apart, right? Lena Headey just hates Bronn's actor and doesn't want to be around him, but it's not like they both explode if they get too close. Hell, in Season 3 they might not have fallen out yet, rumor has it that they dated at some point and Headey got really pissed at him after the breakup.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phenotype posted:

You... you realize they don't actually have, like, magic forcefields that keep them apart, right? Lena Headey just hates Bronn's actor and doesn't want to be around him, but it's not like they both explode if they get too close. Hell, in Season 3 they might not have fallen out yet, rumor has it that they dated at some point and Headey got really pissed at him after the breakup.

It's like matter and antimatter and when they crossed paths it destroyed the writing in the back half of the series. Sad but true.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

someone make this but with a trail of poo poo coming off the throne instead of blood.

Or maybe it’s on wheels

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, just realized Bronn's actor couldn't go to any of the table reads if Lena was there. That's a bummer.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sky Shadowing posted:

Like, the ending equivalent to Lord of the Rings would be if Aragorn's story had changed to, rather than the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, Aragorn had convinced Eomer and Theoden to follow him to the Black Gate, where things proceeded much as normal, except Sam is completely a worthless piece of poo poo who curls up into a ball in the corner of the Crack of Doom room crying, then Gollum willfully throws the Ring and himself into the fire. Frodo and Sam both are saved because they're blown clear, where Gandalf and the Eagles show up.

Then, Aragorn, having tried to claim the Kingship but been denied by Denethor, leads the army to the Pelennor Fields, where he summons the Army of the Dead to kill everyone within the city and burn it to the ground. Then Arwen murders him and gets on the ship with her father and sails for Valinor.

Then Pippin's made King of Gondor, and his vassals are Gandalf, Sam, Treebeard, Faramir, and Wormtongue (having trouble coming up with a Bronn analogue). Sam wants to grow more food and Treebeard suggests clear-cutting the forests. Wormtongue's one contribution was killing Saruman.

Oh and literally nothing before the start of Return of the King is changed.

It's also like if Sauron personally showed up and like Eowyn or Faramir one-shotted him after he was going to kill Pippin who did jack poo poo the whole fight.

The Arya-NK oneshot stab really annoyed me, because for gently caress sake you have Eowyn's awesome but short struggle with the Witch King to emulate or rip off and you don't even bother. It's so easy to to make the fight have stakes and tension like when the Witch King breaks Eowyn's shield arm and is about to kill her, and then a desperate play by Merry and her works out. She even has the great line.

God drat I forgot how good that scene really is; Eowyn is a loving amazing feat compared to that anemic 30 second shot we got of Arya and the NK

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 27, 2019

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine if Lord of the Rings didn’t end on the big, mega evil, Sauron, but opted instead to–oh I don’t know–rez (or simply leave alive in the first place) Saruman and then the story actually ends with our intrepid hero having to take on a less apocalyptic menace.

That’s Thrones season 8.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Alec Eiffel posted:

Imagine if Lord of the Rings didn’t end on the big, mega evil, Sauron, but opted instead to–oh I don’t know–rez (or simply leave alive in the first place) Saruman and then the story actually ends with our intrepid hero having to take on a less apocalyptic menace.

That’s Thrones season 8.

I'm irony poisoned, help me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Alec Eiffel posted:

That’s Thrones season 8.

:raise: