Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I used to have that in my Slack status until some sales gremlin took offense to it and went over my boss's head to whine about it. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I do like when people say "Hi Data Graham, qq"

They mean "quick question" (it's never quick), but I like to imagine them going :qq:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I am strongly on team "If you just message me with 'hello' I will not respond until you send me a message with substance"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If someone messages me with just a "hello" I'll force them into a few lines small talk before I answer any technical questions.

If someone just asks a question, I'll answer it right away.

Neither scenario makes me angry, I just operate the assumption that if someone is saying hi, that means they wanted a friendly conversation and didn't actually need anything.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

One of my favorite ex-coworkers always started with, "Hello, friend" in IM which was nice.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One of the people I work with has a habit of losing conversations or e-mails. So I try to say "Hi" first to ensure that he's actually paying attention before I inform him of something. Because operating under the assumption that he knows what's going on when he doesn't has burned me several times in the past.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I used to be guilty of that but started to self police to, at very least, "Hi, about <level of detail appropriately tailored to subject and person's familiarity with it>"

Also, if I do have to call someone, I've avoided "free to talk?" messages first. Either I do the above with "can we have call about this?" or I've decided that generally we'd just ring a person when we used to use phones and hit the call button if they are available online.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

iospace posted:

Hmm... yes. I totally want to walk over to a more senior dev, ask them for advice on how to do something, have to write it down, then come back and implement it, as opposed to asking them on chat, getting a response there, not having to get up, and having it logged for future reference incase I lose my written notes.

Or be my company and don't save conversation history.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Data Graham posted:

I do like when people say "Hi Data Graham, qq"

They mean "quick question" (it's never quick), but I like to imagine them going :qq:

I always think of that SpokkerJones? post that was just 'qqqq qqq qqqqq qqqqq qqq qq qqq q'

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I usually get "Hi Ghostlight" ~user is typing~, which I interpret as a challenge to race - their actual request message against the largest single line of small talk I think I can write before they hit send.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kensei posted:

Teams is pretty good tho?

lmao no what the gently caress are you drinking? Teams is goddamn awful, the only saving grace it has is it's better than skype for business.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Being better the SfB is a pretty low bar. My main issue is that everything is in the same window, making it hard to keep track of multiple conversations at the same time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Teams as a chat platform is not great.

Teams as a collaboration platform with deep integration into other components of O365 is pretty good.

If you are not taking advantage of the integrations built in to the platform than you're probably going to have a bad time.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Fool posted:

If you are not taking advantage of the integrations built in to the platform than you're probably going to have a bad time.

Teams vs SharePoint has a clear winner for me... It's frigging Teams. SP was like file shares but more difficult (usually)..

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

Teams vs SharePoint has a clear winner for me... It's frigging Teams. SP was like file shares but more difficult (usually)..

any documents in teams are stored in a SharePoint document library

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Fool posted:

any documents in teams are stored in a SharePoint document library

I know... Just ignore that and I'm blissfully happy

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
ETA: gently caress it, since this annoyed me today.

The client has moved from having me or another SecOps monkey manually release mails that soft-fail SPF validation from known clients and whitelisting their addresses to a system where the recipient gets an email that says "hey if you're expecting this hit "release" and contact SecOps so they can whitelist this for you and work with the third party to get their poo poo fixed. If not, do nothing". This is fine. What isn't fine is that they have forgotten to tell SecOps what the procedure is for working with the third party, who may or may not have an easily found IT contact. What's even worse is this has led users to sending one-liner emails that amount to "I got this email" and them getting huffy if you don't figure out which of "I have no idea WTF" or "plz fix" they mean. Worst of all, the actual process for fixing it is to go back to the user and ask them if they have a contact for the third party, which we can't put into the email instructions now because "it's been approved by management" :negative:

This place is dysfunctional as gently caress. I am happy I don't work for them.

null_pointer posted:

I'm okay with "hi" and then waiting for a follow up. Most everyone in my group knows to at least say "good morning / afternoon" to me before diving into their question. Feels good to be treated like a person and not have some rando just barrage you with a question, first thing.
I am fine with getting "Hi Arquinsiel. Can you help with <whatever>?" If people just send a "Hi" message then I respond with "Hi" and close the window. Happily in the current contract all but one of the people I will use Teams to talk to sit in the same room, so we basically shout "hey $DUDE, sending you <the thing> in teams". The sole exception to this is the head of the third-party helpdesk, and she's cool and doesn't waste my time.

Kyrosiris posted:

I used to have that in my Slack status until some sales gremlin took offense to it and went over my boss's head to whine about it. :sigh:
Did your boss give a poo poo?

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 25, 2019

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I work with a lot of people in India and “hi Paul” or “gm Paul” followed by “how are you” is the default because culturally it’s rude to not, so to say, ‘kiss the ring’, to someone that is ‘your superior’, or so I’ve been told. I’ll take it as a compliment.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Paul ReiserFS posted:

I work with a lot of people in India and “hi Paul” or “gm Paul” followed by “how are you” is the default because culturally it’s rude to not, so to say, ‘kiss the ring’, to someone that is ‘your superior’, or so I’ve been told. I’ll take it as a compliment.

I feel bad that every time I hear an Indian accent over the phone my default response is, "gently caress is this support call going to be another 5 hours of being asked to gather logs, or 'do the windows'?

It doesn't help that twice this week I've been on 5+ hour support calls with AirwatchVMware where basically all we did was gather logs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Yeah, the culture shock working with our Indian dev team was very real at the start. It took us quite a while to get them to realize, “Seriously, if you don’t think something is going to work tell us that. Also, saying the word ‘no’ is not going to set us off”. I’m not saying this is everyone, but it seems like contradicting a manager or team lead is a THING THAT IS NOT DONE. Fortunately, that team is totally comfortable with us now.

We also have some people in our Manila office my team interacts with, mostly over Slack. They always start with “Hello, Sir Proteus”, which is weird and makes me a bit uncomfortable. Constantly referring to me with an honorific is a level of subservience I’m not super cool with, but I don’t know how to address it without sounding like I’m criticizing them directly. It even shows up in emails and Incident work notes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No. You gotta tell your office coworkers also to call you Sir now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In my group the remote Indian team is decisively in charge, and we US-side guys are the grunts. It's kind of refreshing in a way.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arquinsiel posted:

Did your boss give a poo poo?

No, but his boss did (because it was a sales person whining), talking about how it didn't "foster a positive team environment". :rolleyes:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'll admit I'm guilty of the IM with a bare greeting. Usually I start typing my question just afterward, but I could do a better job about that. :shobon:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nth Doctor posted:

I'll admit I'm guilty of the IM with a bare greeting. Usually I start typing my question just afterward, but I could do a better job about that. :shobon:

I'd usually go, "Hey, question for ya!" and then send my question on the next message.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Nth Doctor posted:

I don't mind people who say Hi or Hey and then start immediately typing their question, because I can see that they're typing something and I know I'll get something to answer pretty quickly. It's the people who just send Hi and wait for a reply. Like if I were away from the desk or on a call and I'll not looking at the screen, the question will be there when I'm back and it can be answered, rather than doing the whole back and forth again.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I had a
coworker
who couldn't
put a single thought
in a single
line

And they would
produce chains
of messages like this.

In this case it was good that they were actually in another state. If they'd been in an office, I'd have brought in a nerf gun with the intention of shooting them for every message they sent.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have a friend who does that in text messages because she forgets I'm not using Whatsapp. Each line costs her 15c, but she just keeps doing it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The gently caress kind of phone plan charges for texts in TYOOL 2019?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I had a
coworker
who couldn't
put a single thought
in a single
line

And they would
produce chains
of messages like this.

In this case it was good that they were actually in another state. If they'd been in an office, I'd have brought in a nerf gun with the intention of shooting them for every message they sent.

These people crack me up. We just had someone post leaderboard statistics of number of Slack messages sent; at first glance it just looked like one particular person was really busy and overcommunicative and got a lot of poo poo done, but then they were like

Hey
I gotta say
this is
such
an honor

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The gently caress kind of phone plan charges for texts in TYOOL 2019?
Ireland is weird. Everything you know about US phones, just toss it out. Around 1998 every kid in the country was handed a phone and got used to pre-paid contracts. Nobody has changed. Generally you'll get free internet and some amount of free calls and texts to some network or a list of friends or whatever for about €20 a month, and this covers the whole EU so... why change? It also means if you want to get the New Hot Phone you just buy a new number and then ditch it rather than loving around with upgrade windows and poo poo like the monthly contracts stick you with.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Rhymenoserous posted:

lmao no what the gently caress are you drinking? Teams is goddamn awful, the only saving grace it has is it's better than skype for business.

Teams is a great platform. The integrations, meetings, codecs, history, multi-platform capabilities all make it pretty loving great.

Just because you have a stick up your rear end about it doesn't make it bad.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
On this teams integrations talk, what are people actually using?

Us:
* Planner: mainly a tab view of the site
* Stream: only for meeting recordings

That's it. Reason I'm asking is I think we should use more.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Teams is great for collaboration. Planner, Meetings, Calls, Calendar, File Storage and Chat history. Plus all the plug ins you can imagine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We've only got Teams adoption within the IT team at the moment, and we're using the Planner, have a Wiki for a few different projects, some OneNote tabs, and a portal to literally just our Intranet because the browser is for somethingawful.com. We're only just starting to put training material up on Stream, and if we end up with a General tab I've got a bunch of Microsoft Forms all ready to go in there as tabs for like leave requests, submitting tickets, and requesting staff changes.

We also use it for meetings over Skype for Business, but can't use it for actual calling because we have on-premises SfB for whatever reason. We're also looking at some plugin that from what I'm told will sit as a tab to portal into our filesystem.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Google Chat is totes ENTERPRISE READY though :smith:

The chat behavior I hate is anyone from a very different time zone just sending me, "Hi," without any following communication. Who the gently caress are you? What the gently caress do you want? I can't loving help you if you don't tell me, and I'm not going to log in and ask you when it's 10pm where I am because gently caress you that's why.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I built a new hire form for our HR and once it is approved will tie it into PowerShell to create accounts and licenses automagically once the Docusign sigs are gathered. I am quite excited to automate this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Google Chat is totes ENTERPRISE READY though :smith:

The chat behavior I hate is anyone from a very different time zone just sending me, "Hi," without any following communication. Who the gently caress are you? What the gently caress do you want? I can't loving help you if you don't tell me, and I'm not going to log in and ask you when it's 10pm where I am because gently caress you that's why.

Hey we should watch the next UFC sorry I have been busy with new job :(

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

kensei posted:

Hey we should watch the next UFC sorry I have been busy with new job :(

Sounds like a plan! Text me whenever you're hosting. It'll probably be the first time going back to the Couv since I moved, haha.

Hope the new job is treating you well. Nice one on the automation. I had to write the new hire automation for my old team, and having something like that is a huge win for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, the culture shock working with our Indian dev team was very real at the start. It took us quite a while to get them to realize, “Seriously, if you don’t think something is going to work tell us that. Also, saying the word ‘no’ is not going to set us off”. I’m not saying this is everyone, but it seems like contradicting a manager or team lead is a THING THAT IS NOT DONE. Fortunately, that team is totally comfortable with us now.

We also have some people in our Manila office my team interacts with, mostly over Slack. They always start with “Hello, Sir Proteus”, which is weird and makes me a bit uncomfortable. Constantly referring to me with an honorific is a level of subservience I’m not super cool with, but I don’t know how to address it without sounding like I’m criticizing them directly. It even shows up in emails and Incident work notes.

One of my mannerisms is to refer to everyone as "sir". No subservience intended at all; I use it like many people would use "dude" or "man". Obviously not saying that's what's going on here but I've certainly had my share of experiences while people get to know me regarding this quirk.