Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Will Be AEW Champion?
This poll is closed.
Jericho 101 40.24%
Hang Man 91 36.25%
Omega 10 3.98%
Mox 49 19.52%
Total: 251 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Nobody can kill WWE, just like nobody could kill WCW. WCW wasn't killed, they killed themselves. If WWE keeps driving people away, it will eventually hurt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
This was me. Of course I just started eating when the match started. There were two particular camera shots with Dustin pouring blood from his head too :( .

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Adaptabullshit posted:

Now that The Bucks are bringing in their old tag rivals, I’m sad that Steenerico isn’t in.

At least there is hope that we get Sabin in somehow.

I'd like to imagine the Helluva Kick/BRAINBUSTAAAAH and package piledriver were a "hey, guys, the day your contracts expire, you got a good home here" shout out to Sami and Kev.

Still funny that it's been so long since anyone's seen the El Generico BRAINBUSTAAAAH that the reaction wasn't "Olé!" but "oh my god he killed him"

Also:

They definitely know how to make 12 look like 20.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

someone in an nWo shirt with tons of dandruff all over it shitted in their pants during the double or nothing show and didn't get up to do anything about it for the rest of the show and ruined the show for many others who could smell the poo poo.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
My wife out of nowhere asked me if Kenny Omega was asexual and well I don't know.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I wasn't able to watch the show for a variety of reasons, but from what I've read and the little bits and pieces I've seen, it looks like it was a great show and I'm very optimistic for the future of AEW, and I will plan on making sure to get their next PPV. :)

ChrisBTY posted:

I know there was a lot of hype about WWE being in trouble at the end of Double or Nothing but...
Can WWE even be threatened at this point? Does the actual quality of the product even matter?
I'm not saying AEW won't carve out a nice niche for themselves, they will I'm sure. But at this point we've pretty well established that WWE could probably host bumfights on RAW and still turn up black in the quarterly reports.
What can meaningfully hit them in the wallet at this point? Fox reneging on the deal or their ratings going so low they cancel Raw?
I'm not even 100% sure WWE needs fans anymore thanks to MBS.

The threat to WWE from AEW at this point has nothing to do with fans or ratings, and everything to do with the wrestlers. They now have a potential viable alternative to working for Vince, they now have potential leverage when it comes to negotiating contracts, and when a younger wrestler signs with AEW it's one less star that can be signed to NXT and forced to work the "WWE style". All of that is going to be a much scarier situation for Vince, a noted control freak who has been used to having zero serious competition for nearly two decades now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Le Saboteur posted:

My wife out of nowhere asked me if Kenny Omega was asexual and well I don't know.

He’s the opposite of asexual

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

The Cameo posted:

I'd like to imagine the Helluva Kick/BRAINBUSTAAAAH and package piledriver were a "hey, guys, the day your contracts expire, you got a good home here" shout out to Sami and Kev.

I could see Sami jumping as soon as he could. Kevin not so sure, maybe a lighter schedule would make him make the switch.

Those two would bolster up the heavyweight main event division very well.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Rumors say he and Shida were/are an item.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Le Saboteur posted:

I think he is the complete opposite.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was thinking of one of my favorite moments at double or nothing. It was when Penta did the flip piledriver on the ring apron and JR audibly marked out.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

someone in an nWo shirt with tons of dandruff all over it shitted in their pants during the double or nothing show and didn't get up to do anything about it for the rest of the show and ruined the show for many others who could smell the poo poo.

I object to the claim that I have dandruff

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Zsexual?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Adaptabullshit posted:

I could see Sami jumping as soon as he could. Kevin not so sure, maybe a lighter schedule would make him make the switch.

Those two would bolster up the heavyweight main event division very well.

Kevin also just signed a really long deal within the past year.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ChrisBTY posted:

I know there was a lot of hype about WWE being in trouble at the end of Double or Nothing but...
Can WWE even be threatened at this point? Does the actual quality of the product even matter?
I'm not saying AEW won't carve out a nice niche for themselves, they will I'm sure. But at this point we've pretty well established that WWE could probably host bumfights on RAW and still turn up black in the quarterly reports.
What can meaningfully hit them in the wallet at this point? Fox reneging on the deal or their ratings going so low they cancel Raw?

i dont think wwe will be hurt financially but you can make them irrelevant

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Cavauro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q34Hhd2dw8&t=7s

I think honestly the nWo shirt is what seals it for me though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Le Saboteur posted:

He's a gamer so he's just incel.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The show was a great start to the promotion overall. It had it's hitches but it just made me wish there was an AEW show on this week to continue the stories.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

i dont think wwe will be hurt financially but you can make them irrelevant

They already beat AEW to it

Also, I like Adam Page's theme. And it was nice to see Bret :unsmith: .

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The threat to WWE from AEW at this point has nothing to do with fans or ratings, and everything to do with the wrestlers. They now have a potential viable alternative to working for Vince, they now have potential leverage when it comes to negotiating contracts, and when a younger wrestler signs with AEW it's one less star that can be signed to NXT and forced to work the "WWE style". All of that is going to be a much scarier situation for Vince, a noted control freak who has been used to having zero serious competition for nearly two decades now.

I think that is a huge deal. They did not want that perception, just as they don't want the perception that talent is unhappy. AEW is now probably mostly full talent wise, I am sure for certain cases they would make an exception but you do get a feeling that they are not wanting to be the place where old WWE talent goes to. This could been a boon to Impact, RoH and I think MLW the most in the long run as there is going to be an exodus out of WWE in the next year or so and you are going to see them go to some of these other companies as well.

I have heard some talk of many of the recent signees to NXT are not happy and things are not exactly as what they were originally told and they have told others that were leaning that way to not sign there. So the bloom may have faded there as well.

The Cameo posted:

Still funny that it's been so long since anyone's seen the El Generico BRAINBUSTAAAAH that the reaction wasn't "Olé!" but "oh my god he killed him"

Sadly Steen signed a new I believe 5 year contract recently. He is a giant WWE fan, has a family that is settled into Florida and has a very solid spot on the card. As he slows down in the next couple of years they aren't going to have an issue with it.

Generico my gut tells me might pull a Moxley. He has been used like dog poo poo since he was called up after being the biggest babyface they maybe ever had in NXT. You add in the Saudi stuff in there you can completely see him wanting to walk away. God could you imagine him playing both himself and Generico at the same time?

The couple of guys I can see coming over are Generico, The Good Brothers, Revival, Samoa Joe (especially if they get Punk) and perhaps Devitt. They are all proven draws that for whatever reason were not used right by Vince. You could also look at guys further out like Adam Cole, ReDRagon, Candice and the like that have ties to the guys that are running things.

An issue I am going to see with that though is Vince is going to look at all these indie guys as disloyal and untrustworthy going forward so WWE will only invest and push homegrown talent more than they already have.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Bruce Mitchelll of the PWTorch confirmed that the Bret Hart spot was originally set for Ric Flair.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Djarum posted:

The couple of guys I can see coming over are Generico, The Good Brothers, Revival, Samoa Joe (especially if they get Punk) and perhaps Devitt. They are all proven draws that for whatever reason were not used right by Vince. You could also look at guys further out like Adam Cole, ReDRagon, Candice and the like that have ties to the guys that are running things.

Cesaro and Daniel Bryan are Cody's better WWE see friends. Very confident in Cesaro will leave.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rovert posted:

Cesaro and Daniel Bryan are Cody's better WWE see friends. Very confident in Cesaro will leave.

Wanna see Cesaro vs Omega real bad

rovert posted:

Bruce Mitchelll of the PWTorch confirmed that the Bret Hart spot was originally set for Ric Flair.

Traded up. Don't wanna see Flair die in the ring. And he's become a liability.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 27, 2019

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm not sure what Fox can do to them if their Smackdown ratings suck poo poo, but there's at least a noticeable pressure on Vince to turn around ratings before October. I imagine there's some kind of ramification, but I don't know how far they can go with that. At least we know that a good chunk of money that WWE's making from Fox and Saudi Arabia is going to be burned away by this brilliant idea to bring back the laughing stock football league.

WWE's ratings are dropping and there's very little they can actually do about it. They've killed their show with bad decisions and Vince's attempts at improving things have come off as flailing. They doubled down on McMahon authority characters because they believe that that's what people want. They brought in a bunch of NXT call-ups and squandered them hard to the point that one of the most promising tag teams became a gigantic joke. The most fan-pleasing must-see Raw of the year was a pile of nothing because they already blew their load and poisoned the well. The post-Mania status quo is constantly in flux. They can't make new stars and they can barely maintain the heat of anyone who gets over. As it is right now, there are virtually no money matches left in the company. Something like Braun Strowman vs. Shinsuke Nakamura could have been a high-profile Wrestlemania match once upon a time, but now it would be a forgettable 3-minute squash with a commercial inside it.

Sure, WWE won't be going bankrupt any time soon, but they're going to get torn down at least a few pegs. AEW's mission is to maintain some level of quality and competency to add pressure to WWE's situation while simply just surviving.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Considering AEW is promising a work/life balance that actually leaves you with some free time ever, I'd imagine the real problem is going to be making sure you don't sign too many WWE talents.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

I'm not sure what Fox can do to them if their Smackdown ratings suck poo poo, but there's at least a noticeable pressure on Vince to turn around ratings before October. I imagine there's some kind of ramification, but I don't know how far they can go with that. At least we know that a good chunk of money that WWE's making from Fox and Saudi Arabia is going to be burned away by this brilliant idea to bring back the laughing stock football league.

WWE's ratings are dropping and there's very little they can actually do about it. They've killed their show with bad decisions and Vince's attempts at improving things have come off as flailing. They doubled down on McMahon authority characters because they believe that that's what people want. They brought in a bunch of NXT call-ups and squandered them hard to the point that one of the most promising tag teams became a gigantic joke. The most fan-pleasing must-see Raw of the year was a pile of nothing because they already blew their load and poisoned the well. The post-Mania status quo is constantly in flux. They can't make new stars and they can barely maintain the heat of anyone who gets over. As it is right now, there are virtually no money matches left in the company. Something like Braun Strowman vs. Shinsuke Nakamura could have been a high-profile Wrestlemania match once upon a time, but now it would be a forgettable 3-minute squash with a commercial inside it.

Sure, WWE won't be going bankrupt any time soon, but they're going to get torn down at least a few pegs. AEW's mission is to maintain some level of quality and competency to add pressure to WWE's situation while simply just surviving.

IF AEW's ceiling is "ROH with an ownership that gives a gently caress", that's bad news for WWE.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Isn't AEW's TV presence already significantly better than what ROH has

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Isn't AEW's TV presence already significantly better than what ROH has

Yes, absolutely.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think seeing Angelico on AEW was one of my personal favorite moments of the show. He was really starting to feel like someone who was never going to have the chance to go real big like he probably could.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yes, absolutely.

Being in ITV is a big get for them and also super convenient for me because I can watch that poo poo free on demand

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think seeing Angelico on AEW was one of my personal favorite moments of the show. He was really starting to feel like someone who was never going to have the chance to go real big like he probably could.

I hope he gets to jump off tall things

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Shocked to learn that AOC has signed a three-year exclusive contract with AEW

AOC is going to lead the Joshi division to new heights

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sami also signed a new deal right before he went into his surgery, right now he'd be getting out of it near the end of 2021/beginning of 2022 depending on how WWE treats him with regards to the surgery off-road time.

But the spots definitely were a "hey guys" sort of deal, like "wanna work in a place where you can do these things again? There'll be a spot for you when/if the time comes."

LividLiquid posted:

Considering AEW is promising a work/life balance that actually leaves you with some free time ever, I'd imagine the real problem is going to be making sure you don't sign too many WWE talents.

The Bucks liked to make a very, very big deal about ROH giving everyone in the company time around Christmas off (especially... was it last year or the year before when RAW and Smackdown fell on Christmas Eve and Christmas and it was like "you're really going to run live shows on both loving days?"), so I imagine "holidays you'd normally spend with family? You have them off!" is like somewhere on a company charter in Jacksonville. I'd also bet they're going to be a lot better on someone walking up to them and going "so my best friend/brother/I'm getting married, I need to take this time off" and they'll arrange the booking and creative as needed instead of "wait, you told someone six months ago about this? Well, you should have told someone else, we booked you on this PPV that's the same night and we're not gonna change the booking, whadda ya mean you're pissed off about it, ain't my fault"

It's hilarious how they could be this bright shining star of a company compared to WWE just by doing basic, people-focused things.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gumball Gumption posted:

i'm so happy people get to see jack evans on the big stage in america

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

i'm so happy people get to see jack evans on the big stage in america

This.

You could tell Jack was one of the people JR was super into.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This.

You could tell Jack was one of the people JR was super into.

can you imagine the crazy backyarder promos him and janela would cut on each other

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Evans is a 19 year veteran and he can still pass for 19. The guy debuted in 2000 working with Bryan Alvarez in places that had carpet.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPVm0cxmyA

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

jack was in wrestling society x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer