Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

Are there any particularly quick and easy ways to apply sauce to buffalo wings? I’m gonna make some on the grill for Memorial Day, and my old method is to just brush it on each wing one at a time, but there has to be a better way.

DUNK THEM IN A POT OF SAUCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

Are there any particularly quick and easy ways to apply sauce to buffalo wings? I’m gonna make some on the grill for Memorial Day, and my old method is to just brush it on each wing one at a time, but there has to be a better way.

Big steel bowl, wings, pour sauce on and toss. If you're talking about saucing them during cooking (may be a bad idea if the sauce has sugar in it) you're either stuck brushing them or doing the bowl thing and then putting them back on the grill. If you do it in the bowl they'll only be off the grill for a minute. Won't change how they cook or hurt anything.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Big steel bowl, wings, pour sauce on and toss. If you're talking about saucing them during cooking (may be a bad idea if the sauce has sugar in it) you're either stuck brushing them or doing the bowl thing and then putting them back on the grill. If you do it in the bowl they'll only be off the grill for a minute. Won't change how they cook or hurt anything.

The bowl thing is my plan this time around, I’m just weary of my tossing skills

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I. M. Gei posted:

If its a big enough bowl there's nothing really to worry about, especially if your wing sauce is properly thick and you aren't dumping an excessive amount into it. Much easier than say flipping a pancake.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

What temp and how long do you bake till or you just tell by looking?

I don't think I have a grinder. I think I kneaded it well. The recipe I was using added flour on it's surface and had breadcumb inside it so maybe that made it softer really not sure. Or maybe I should have just cooked it longer. If I cooked the meatballs longer inside a dutch oven with the sauce would they have gotten softer or hardeR?

I do 400 for about 15 minutes, longer if they’re super big meatballs. And definitely don’t put flour in or on them, they’ll just be dry and sad. A small amount of breadcrumbs is ok, but more traditional is stale bread soaked in milk, which minimizes dryness. Personally I use an egg or two if things aren’t sticking together the way I like, but everyone else is right- you have to mix and mix some more to get that springy, bouncy texture.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

You also don't actually need to toss them if you are worried. You can put them in the bowl with sauce, and just stir them up and over eachother with a spatula.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

You also don't actually need to toss them if you are worried. You can put them in the bowl with sauce, and just stir them up and over eachother with a spatula.

Oooooh that’s a really good idea, I’m totally gonna do that. Thanks!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Oooooh that’s a really good idea, I’m totally gonna do that. Thanks!

Note that it doesn't look nearly as cool to anyone watching you cook.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I was on a cruise to Ensenada with my family this week and we got some carne asada tacos from a little street stand the day we docked there. They had a few condiments available for the tacos and tortas they sold, one of which was this spicy, pickled, roughly chopped red chili pepper that was really tasty -- anyone know what it was called and how to make it? It wasn't the typical pickled green jalapeno that I'm used to seeing in Socal taquerias.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What am I supposed to do with old fry oil? I was told not to dump it in the sink. Is the trash ok?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

What am I supposed to do with old fry oil? I was told not to dump it in the sink. Is the trash ok?

I only have a quart or two at a time and don't fry often so I'll use it to pour along a fenceline or into the compost or somewhere I want to keep the grass from growing up quickly etc.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Steve Yun posted:

A bag in the trash is fine, the reason not to pour it in the sink is it can gently caress with plumbing since it floats.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

moller posted:

If you want a crunchy browned exterior you'll have to bake, broil, pan fry, or deep fry.

I did, they were pretty crunchy but I guess simmering them with the tomato sauce will just make them softer. The taste was fine and nobody else complained about it being soft but I just was used to more firmer meatballs whenever my mom made them.

So I been doing well so far, I try to make 1-2 new recipes every week. I 've learned a bunch of breakfast recipes mostly. What are some good non egg breakfast recipes? I love egg since I workout and the extra protein helps but it can get annoying just make them for breakfast. I also make oatmeal which some people hate and it's a really boring meal but I love it.

Also what is a good seafood/fish recipe? I have only cooked chicken, beef, turkey so far and no seafood. I wanted to make some salmon recipe or tilapia but read tilapia isn't that good for you not sure.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 25, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've fallen deeply in love with chicken thighs, had them in a curry and I was not prepared for how soft they get. Literally just had to look their way and they'd fall off the bone.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Ulio posted:

I did, they were pretty crunchy but I guess simmering them with the tomato sauce will just make them softer. The taste was fine and nobody else complained about it being soft but I just was used to more firmer meatballs whenever my mom made them.

So I been doing well so far, I try to make 1-2 new recipes every week. I 've learned a bunch of breakfast recipes mostly. What are some good non egg breakfast recipes? I love egg since I workout and the extra protein helps but it can get annoying just make them for breakfast. I also make oatmeal which some people hate and it's a really boring meal but I love it.

Also what is a good seafood/fish recipe? I have only cooked chicken, beef, turkey so far and no seafood. I wanted to make some salmon recipe or tilapia but read tilapia isn't that good for you not sure.

You can find about 1000 articles online claiming any one type of seafood is bad for you, but you can also find about 800 articles online claiming any other thing you could possibly eat, drink, injest, inhale, contact or stand near is bad for you too. The main thing you have to worry about with seafood is heavy metal poisoning, which is a risk for any larger type of seafood like tuna, but so long as it is not a daily staple of your diet then you probably will never have to worry about getting sick from mercury or the like. Tilapia is a good white fish because its flavor is so delicate you can do a lot with it and it will take on the flavor of your seasoning, and it is fairly low in calories. I would take a tilapia filet, sprinkle it with some chipotle seasoning or cumin and cayenne and bake it around 400 degrees til its flaky and fork tender, and serve that with some mexican (or regular) rice.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
http://seafoodwatch.org

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
tilapia tastes like poo poo

cod is much better

halibut is great but pricey

non-atlantic and non-farmed salmon is excellent too

for a quick salmon dinner i really like this one
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/06/miso-glazed-salmon-in-the-toaster-oven-recipe.html

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
How long would a sous vide steak stay good in the vacuum bag?

I'm really pressed for time this weekend and won't have hours tomorrow to cook sous vide ribeye. If I sous vide ribeye tonight, then out the bags in the fridge, could I sear them tomorrow? It would be about 16 hours between pulling from the water bath to searing in the skillet.

They literally can't dry out, but do you think the muscle fibers would tighten up too much during that time?

On a related note: I've heard that some restaurants use sous vide to serve steaks quickly. They sous vide a bunch of steaks to rare in the morning, refrigerate the bags and then sear/cook when the customer orders one. Any truth to this?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bagheera posted:

How long would a sous vide steak stay good in the vacuum bag?

I'm really pressed for time this weekend and won't have hours tomorrow to cook sous vide ribeye. If I sous vide ribeye tonight, then out the bags in the fridge, could I sear them tomorrow? It would be about 16 hours between pulling from the water bath to searing in the skillet.

They literally can't dry out, but do you think the muscle fibers would tighten up too much during that time?

On a related note: I've heard that some restaurants use sous vide to serve steaks quickly. They sous vide a bunch of steaks to rare in the morning, refrigerate the bags and then sear/cook when the customer orders one. Any truth to this?

As long as you let it hang out in the puddle for more than 2 hours at 131F, (iirc that's the time/temp combo) the meat is pasteurized and will last a goddamn long time in the fridge. Days to weeks. And the quality doesn't really degrade once it's chilled.

And yes, that is a thing that some restaurants do.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I recently bought a Griswold cast iron skillet from 1918 on eBay, and I'm astonished at how different it is from my Lodge skillet. It's as smooth as a ceramic coated pan, but about half the weight.

Is any company making cast iron like this nowadays, or am I going to be shelling out on eBay for old stuff?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you want the slick cooking surface, just get a orbital sander and go to town on your new stuff. Griswold spent the man hours back in the day to polish their cast iron. Lodge, et al are just too cheap to do so these days.

Edit: Look into carbon steel if you want something lighter.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ulio posted:

My favorite breakfast is Museli. Easy to make a ton ahead, and you can flavor it to your tastes. It's just rolled oats with whatever nuts, fruit, sweeteners, ect that you want, then you put some in a bowl with milk and microwave it a minute (or just eat it cold). It's prefect for me, as I love the flavor of oatmeal, but cant stand the gloopy texture. Museli has a much more toothsome and satisfying mouthfeel. I make mine with raisins, dark chocolate, sunflower seeds, and a bit of maple syrup. Give me a bit to find my notes, I did a breakdown of the ratio and calories, it worked out to like 300 calories a bowl with milk, and still very satisfying.

Good on ya for learning how to cook!

Edit: ok, it's done to weight, and it's my original cranberry chocolate coconut version. But it gives you a rough idea of the ratios

300g Old Fashioned Oats (3 cups) 1125kcal
60g Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips 280kcal
80g Dried Cranberries 80kcal
60g dried coconut flake 400kcal
(all of these are like a quarter cup)
20g Cane sugar 75kcal

That gives you 520g, and a quarter cup serving weighs 65g, and 246kcal. Add another quarter cup of low fat milk for another 55kcal, gives you a nice 301kcal breakfast that fills you up quite nicely. Obviously, you can mix up the mix ins as you see fit. But 3/4 cup of mix ins to 3 cups of oats gives a good ratio of bulk to sweet

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 26, 2019

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Muesli's pretty awesome!

Asia's got some great breakfast dishes to try too - szechuan wonton is amazing. I got addicted to sardine sandwiches with a soft boiled egg for a while, but thats a bit of an acquired taste (and still contains egg)

pim01 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 26, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Casu Marzu posted:

If you want the slick cooking surface, just get a orbital sander and go to town on your new stuff. Griswold spent the man hours back in the day to polish their cast iron. Lodge, et al are just too cheap to do so these days.

Edit: Look into carbon steel if you want something lighter.

So, no, nobody nowadays is making light, smooth cast iron.

I'll look into carbon steel; I neither own nor know how to use an orbital sander so no way I'm polishing the new stuff. Plus it'd still be heavy as gently caress.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

^^^ carbon steel is nice!

Steve Yun posted:

1. Filter, refrigerate, and re-use until weird. This can be a long time unless you fry fish or loose flour/corn starch gets in a bunch. I usually just do an unfolded napkin in a funnel.
2. Google "oil recycling" or "biofuel collection" in your area. My small-rear end town (Tallahassee) has five locations that accept oil: https://www.talgov.com/sustainability/biofuel.aspx
3. If the above fail, yeah, what others said of "seal & put in trash". Dunno about the pouring in compost, I've heard bad things so look into it if you must.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Annath posted:

I recently bought a Griswold cast iron skillet from 1918 on eBay, and I'm astonished at how different it is from my Lodge skillet. It's as smooth as a ceramic coated pan, but about half the weight.

Is any company making cast iron like this nowadays, or am I going to be shelling out on eBay for old stuff?

I did a quick Google for polished cast iron skillets, and they're definitely out there, but I don't know if they're worth the prices. There was also an Instructible describing how to polish up a Lodge.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Follow-up: where the hell does a home cook get carbon steel pans?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anyone have a killer chickpea salad recipe? I love chickpeas on their own with a bit of salt, but every time I try a cold salad (like the Mediterranean one I see in searches) they taste weird.

We're eating cheap this month, and I have a fair bit of dry chickpeas to go through. It's also getting hot, and I don't want to warm up the house too much running the stove or oven. Fortunately, chickpeas and an instant pot are best friends.

Any ideas?

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone have a killer chickpea salad recipe? I love chickpeas on their own with a bit of salt, but every time I try a cold salad (like the Mediterranean one I see in searches) they taste weird.

We're eating cheap this month, and I have a fair bit of dry chickpeas to go through. It's also getting hot, and I don't want to warm up the house too much running the stove or oven. Fortunately, chickpeas and an instant pot are best friends.

Any ideas?

I don't have a recipe but I just made a Mexican inspired chickpea salad last night. Chickpeas, tomatoes, onions macerated in vinegar, red bell pepper, drained canned sweet corn, cilantro, seasoned with chipotle powder and a bit of cumin. Chop up and add everything, salt and add vinegar (lime is ideal, but I ended up with lemon / cider since that's what I had) to taste, then pour a glug of olive oil. Crumbly Mexican cheese and roasting the corn and pepper would probably go well.

Is there something in particular that weirds you out about the Mediterranean salad? I'm happy with basically any bean salad if it's got enough salt, vinegar and spice.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

My favorite breakfast is Museli. Easy to make a ton ahead, and you can flavor it to your tastes. It's just rolled oats with whatever nuts, fruit, sweeteners, ect that you want, then you put some in a bowl with milk and microwave it a minute (or just eat it cold). It's prefect for me, as I love the flavor of oatmeal, but cant stand the gloopy texture. Museli has a much more toothsome and satisfying mouthfeel. I make mine with raisins, dark chocolate, sunflower seeds, and a bit of maple syrup. Give me a bit to find my notes, I did a breakdown of the ratio and calories, it worked out to like 300 calories a bowl with milk, and still very satisfying.

That sounds good, I tried store bought Museli once and it was good but ultra expensive for the amount you got. I just need to get the ingredients since I don't really have any dried fruits.

pim01 posted:

Muesli's pretty awesome!

Asia's got some great breakfast dishes to try too - szechuan wonton is amazing. I got addicted to sardine sandwiches with a soft boiled egg for a while, but thats a bit of an acquired taste (and still contains egg)

Oh that wonton recipe actually looks delicious, I need to learn dumplings next, I love those as well but cooking them seems like longer than other dishes. I did try some asian breakfast/lunch basically stir fried rice with eggs + veggies. It's pretty good, I love frying stuff but it's not the healthiest thing so I try to just do it once in a while.

BraveUlysses posted:

tilapia tastes like poo poo

cod is much better

halibut is great but pricey

non-atlantic and non-farmed salmon is excellent too

for a quick salmon dinner i really like this one
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/06/miso-glazed-salmon-in-the-toaster-oven-recipe.html

I always thought Atlantic salmon is better because pacific salmon was hosed because of the Japanese nuclear waste issue. Thanks for the salmon recipe looks good, I think I will try that out first, I don't have sake so I might just replace that with a bit of wine.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

My turn for a wing related question: gonna smoke/grill some wings and toss them in a jerk sauce. What's a good dry rub to use for the smoking and grilling stage that will compliment a wet jerk?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jerk is a wet rubbed smoke.

Rub it with the jerk, smoke it, toss again if really desired, or just eat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

prayer group posted:

Amazon?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

prayer group posted:

https://www.katom.com/347-062005.html

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Any ideas?

Chickpea avocado smash (quick & easy)

Chickpea Waldorf Salad (I leave out the onion and cut down on the cayenne. Everybody I have made this for loves it.)

Chickpea of the Sea (it's missing a bit of something, but I find when I make sure to eat the sandwich with tomato slices it works out)

Braised Coconut, Spinach, and Lemon Chickpea Stew (this one's better with lime)

My "oops I'm out of black beans" eggy quick dinner: warm chickpeas in a skillet, add eggs at some point, remove when eggs are as you like them, cover with a bunch of salsa & devour, with a tortilla if I have it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

effika posted:

Chickpea of the Sea (it's missing a bit of something, but I find when I make sure to eat the sandwich with tomato slices it works out)

I've made something similar, and when I made it I found the bit it was missing was capers :)

I also like some more texture, so raw walnuts for me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mongoose posted:

Is there something in particular that weirds you out about the Mediterranean salad? I'm happy with basically any bean salad if it's got enough salt, vinegar and spice.

I dunno. It just never turns out right. Maybe because I omit the olives, and that's a major flavor component. I don't like olives and have yet to find a way to enjoy them.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Bluedeanie posted:

My turn for a wing related question: gonna smoke/grill some wings and toss them in a jerk sauce. What's a good dry rub to use for the smoking and grilling stage that will compliment a wet jerk?

Google "jerk seasoning mix" or just take whatever all-purpose/bbq rub you have on hand and add a little allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Any ideas?

What’s your chickpea instapot recipe?