Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
There are some kinks but this is really a new level for TW. The improvements to diplomacy alone make the previous games look like dogshit by comparison.

Being able to make a multifaceted deal in order to trade like 4-5 different things at once is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My only qualm with diplomacy is there's no wiggle room, the deal is either +0.0 or no deal, and the AI always wants way more from you than you'd get out of the deal even for stuff they'd ostensibly want like a non-aggression pact with the warlord who just sacked three commanderies.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

My only qualm with diplomacy is there's no wiggle room, the deal is either +0.0 or no deal

I think the numbers are the wiggle room

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

My only qualm with diplomacy is there's no wiggle room, the deal is either +0.0 or no deal, and the AI always wants way more from you than you'd get out of the deal even for stuff they'd ostensibly want like a non-aggression pact with the warlord who just sacked three commanderies.

Fair enough but I'll take no wiggle room for no guesswork every time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Senor Dog posted:

I think the numbers are the wiggle room

Well, yes, superficially, but what it means is that the AI values a particular part of the deal at exactly n no matter what and there's no way to go "cao-cao-laughing.gif, I don't think that's worth that much, I offer m, can you meet me halfway?"

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Well, yes, superficially, but what it means is that the AI values a particular part of the deal at exactly n no matter what and there's no way to go "cao-cao-laughing.gif, I don't think that's worth that much, I offer m, can you meet me halfway?"

I mean, a fair number of times if you negotiate an AI suggested treaty it's actually plus several points and you can get more out of it, on hard at least

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Haha man Dong Zhuo's system level mechanics are so cool. I can't remember the exact name but its basically just fear mechanic. The more you 1) Win fights 2) Raze Cities 3) Execute people your fear goes up, High fear = higher public order and less corruption, and you can force people into unfair trade deals.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is there a reform that impacts that? If not, there should. Like a "Diplomatic Corps" reform that gives you a blatant +3 in dealmaking. Or take (another) cue from CK2 and have the personality traits affect it - ie, greedy people like money more.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's not true I don't think. Certainly the AI values a peace treaty far more if they're getting owned. And they value vassalisation quite differently too.
And money and food have different values to them depending how rich and fed they are.

The only things they seem to value statically are ancillaries which is why clay pigs are so OP in the late game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Giving them a better deal gives you better relations boosts than constantly signing 0.0 deals. And relations boosts actually matter here.

And yeah if you negotiate what THEY offer YOU you can actually get more from them if you want.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Has anyone made a +10/15% bonus movement speed in your own territories mod yet?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is there a guide to what the difficulty levels actually change?

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

bewilderment posted:

So does Sun Jian just always eat the whole south? I mistakenly invited him into the coalition I was in because "he just has that corner near my holdings, right, how bad could it be" and then found out he had at least the whole bottom third of the map.

I'm playing as Cao Cao on easy because I'm a giant baby.
I'm also in an coaltion with Kong Rong and Shao Yun so now I need to figure out a way to kick one of them out of the coalition so I can ally with Kong and kill Shao Yun!

(Sun Jian hates the idea of anyone leaving the coalition and is a lost cause, I think)

This was pages ago, but after bailing on my own Sun Yian game due to getting hosed by an event stack, he died on literally like the 4th turn of my next campaign and I wasn't sure if that was just... How it happens in "the plot" or not. I guess not. Guy just got as unlucky as I did.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Help I am very stupid and can't find the button for Cao Cao's manipulation ability.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Help I am very stupid and can't find the button for Cao Cao's manipulation ability.

Diplomacy menu, they're extra options under the catagories

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Hmm. One of my story missions as Liu Bei is to try and recruit one of my relatives into a coallition. Given that said relative despises me I think I will just conquer him instead.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
he's also across the map so I dunno how you're actually supposed to manage it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Its not actually to get them in a coalition, it's either a military alliance or straight up unification

I'm the emperor of shu-han at this point and still haven't finished that mission

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:thunk: Just had Taishi Ci suddenly spawn and take over a retinue in a city that I was sieging. He went down pretty quick in the ensuing battle but I didn't manage to capture him and he just vanished. Wonder if I'll run into him again...

Cerebulon posted:

This was pages ago, but after bailing on my own Sun Jian game due to getting hosed by an event stack, he died on literally like the 4th turn of my next campaign and I wasn't sure if that was just... How it happens in "the plot" or not. I guess not. Guy just got as unlucky as I did.

The Liu Biao doom stack is really dangerous for Sun Jian early on. If you play friendly then you can expand west and south with minimal resistance. If you don't then you're plunging straight into a complex web of retaliatory war with Liu Biao / Yuan Shu / their neighbors.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Liu Bei's ability to somehow shift from friends with everyone to enemies with everyone sure made for a ride. I vassalized him for a few turns but he ended up fighting with drat near everyone left and dragged me with him. Which I was winning and all, but when Wei offered peace I took it. So when Liu Bei wanted war again with Wei I said screw off and he liberated himself. But his position was so ridiculous, he seriously had like seven different blocs of unconnected territory, that I was able to confederate a ton of land and Shu-Han disappeared. Including some spots I really wanted and a whole lot of shi sinks. Oh boy is digging myself outta this gonna be fun.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 25, 2021

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Start Proxy War is under the War Tab. The "Manipulate Positive/Negative" are under whatever his bottom tab is called, at the bottom.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kanos posted:

God loving drat it, what the hell? I'm making progress as Zheng Jiang and torpedoing up Yuan Shao's rear end before he can start death balling, I'm crushing him into paste, and then I get a loving giant shitpile of messages that show Yuan Shao successfully inviting LITERALLY 11 FACTIONS into his newly-made coalition in the same turn somehow, rendering this campaign completely dead in the water.

One or two? Okay, I've pissed off some people, fine. A double digit amount, all at once?

The AI very rarely calls their vassals/coalition members into war, and even when they do it's one or two at a time. And if you destroy Yuan Shao, all his vassals get set free.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why can't I build the grain farm garrison (Cao Cao's unique building)? It always says I need an empty building slot, even when I do?

e: Needed a reform.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 27, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
are there any known bugs with video settings / display? I'm playing on ultra settings on 1440p and everything just looks kind of ... blurry. like it's displaying at lower res or something

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Having a blast with this game. I’ve been playing as Sun Jian to learn the ropes and build a South China empire, and it’s been just great. SJ is now into his 60s and close to victory; it’s a race against time to see if he can win before he croaks and hands everything down to Sun Ce.

If you want a lightly historical run as the Tiger of Jiangdong that completes his assigned missions, here’s one way of doing it:
- Do initial missions to capture that bend north of the river, beef up Sun Jian and get ready to head east.
- Have a second stack conquering all the outskirts of Changsha
- as soon as you get the mission to conquer those two guys, have Sun Jian take them out one by one and have your second stack head east, following the south bank of the Yangtze river. Your goal is to get to the east coast controlling all land south of the river.
- at some point Cao Cao will probably cross the river and steal some land.
- Trade your land north of the river for peace with Liu Biao and for Cao Cao’s southern holdings
- you now have an easily defensible north border and have blocked off all the powers from expanding, leaving you free to consolidate the whole of south China
- start moving one of your armies southwest to wipe out the Shi faction in yunnan/north Vietnam
- enjoy having the most ridiculously opulent clothes on your dudes Sun Jian, Sun Ce, Sun Quan and Ladies’ Olympic Gold Medallist (archery) Sun Ren

One thing to note about the Sun Jian game: it’s very easy to over-expand into poor territory and cripple your economy with corruption. You NEED the anti corruption buildings and ideas, and ideally also generals with the -50% corruption assignment, ASAP. Fix that and you’ll be rolling in money so that you can throw 2-3 of your stacks against every one of the other two empires who make it to the end game.

I guess for added difficulty you could deliberately get Sun Jian killed fighting those two guys at the start and relocate 100% to the East, finally taking the Sun Ce dies option, too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can I play as Vietnam and lay down epic gently caress yous at every turn?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

JBP posted:

Can I play as Vietnam and lay down epic gently caress yous at every turn?

Alas Shi Xie isn't playable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

One big thing I have noticed about the combat is that it's significantly less sticky than typical, which is nice. The AI gets stuck in but you can reposition pretty well.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

McTimmy posted:

Alas Shi Xie isn't playable.

Yet

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

terrorist ambulance posted:

are there any known bugs with video settings / display? I'm playing on ultra settings on 1440p and everything just looks kind of ... blurry. like it's displaying at lower res or something
DOF is terrible in every single game, turn that poo poo off. Unless you already have that off then I dunno.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My chancellor wants me to build a building from the "Settlement Administration" chain for a mission, but I can't figure out which building actually fits that criteria.

It's not the "Administration Office" chain (starts with County Office), as I built one without completing the mission.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I'm starting to get concerned about Sun Jian in my game. While it's a constant murderbrawl in the Yellow river area, he's just in the south completely at peace with everyone and expanding while already holding the largest number of provinces (I stuck a spy in him specifically - he has the entire southern Yangtze and like 1 province depth in).

SKULL.GIF posted:

My chancellor wants me to build a building from the "Settlement Administration" chain for a mission, but I can't figure out which building actually fits that criteria.

It's not the "Administration Office" chain (starts with County Office), as I built one without completing the mission.
Main city upgrade (e.g. town -> large town -> small city -> etc)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 27, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

lurksion posted:

It's located at the very top of the normal build menu too.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Should've known it would be something that obvious, thanks guys.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lurksion posted:

I'm starting to get concerned about Sun Jian in my game. While it's a constant murderbrawl in the Yellow river area, he's just in the south completely at peace with everyone and expanding while already holding the largest number of provinces (I stuck a spy in him specifically - he has the entire southern Yangtze and like 1 province depth in).

Sun Jian is gonna be pretty nonsense until someone besides Han Empire gets added around him

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

lurksion posted:

DOF is terrible in every single game, turn that poo poo off. Unless you already have that off then I dunno.

yup that's what it was. huge difference. I feel like I was starting to get eye strain from the weird loving blurriness of DOF

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really need some more feedback in a few places. I just became emperor out of absolutely nowhere, not sure how that happened but boy am I looking forward to being attacked a lot. I'm also not able to figure out the harmony situation in the council. Do I have to leave the screen and check each candidate individually to find out who they like and dislike? It just shows the X and check but no indication which ones don't get along.

Good game but I'm fairly confused so far about why things are happening. I need more easily accessible information.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I really need some more feedback in a few places. I just became emperor out of absolutely nowhere, not sure how that happened but boy am I looking forward to being attacked a lot. I'm also not able to figure out the harmony situation in the council. Do I have to leave the screen and check each candidate individually to find out who they like and dislike? It just shows the X and check but no indication which ones don't get along.

Good game but I'm fairly confused so far about why things are happening. I need more easily accessible information.

Emperor rank and prestige is under the menu when you select your faction portrait on the map. Either you garnered enough Prestige to rank up or you were one of the top ranks when another faction did.

Scrolling over the x/check bubble will show whom they're interacting with.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 27, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
replenishment is so fuckin slow in the early game holy moly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McTimmy posted:

Scrolling over the x/check bubble will show whom they're interacting with.

Yeah, but there's no indication which ones they like or dislike. Mousing over the portraits provides no info.