Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXwBsxTBxGM

I feel like I need to dedicate my life to BB King to make up for all the time I failed to respect him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I feel like I need to dedicate my life to BB King to make up for all the time I failed to respect him.

May wanna get started on Buddy Guy if you haven't as well.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

chitoryu12 posted:

Your avatar is almost moving in time with the beat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

chitoryu12 posted:

You should do that anyway. I was privileged to see BB King on his final major world tour, when he was double-heading with John Mayall. He walks out slowly, and two guys haul out this huge throne for him to sit on. He says, "I know what you're thinking - ol' BB can't stand up and play no more. Well, that's about the truth. But I can still play." He then ran so long that he had to cut The Thrill Is Gone short after they told him it was kick-out time. He was just shy of 84 years old.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

eating only apples posted:

Not even a baby, but a toddler. Ever been headbutted by a toddler? I have, and I live in fear of getting my teeth knocked out by a kid's skull when they just think they're playing. Guy got hella lucky.

no poo poo dude, I have a 5 year old now but i wear my scars with pride. i did my time in the trenches. Oh this? yeah i got that tryin to pull my girlfriend out of the line of fire. our 18-month old was firin on all cylinders its a wonder that machine didnt kill us outright

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Jedit posted:

You should do that anyway. I was privileged to see BB King on his final major world tour, when he was double-heading with John Mayall. He walks out slowly, and two guys haul out this huge throne for him to sit on. He says, "I know what you're thinking - ol' BB can't stand up and play no more. Well, that's about the truth. But I can still play." He then ran so long that he had to cut The Thrill Is Gone short after they told him it was kick-out time. He was just shy of 84 years old.

He was still touring at 89, I got to see him play in 2014, though the band just kind played along as he shambled through his hits

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

My first car was a 1980 Ford Thunderbird. Red, with a white vinyl half-top and a bit of pin striping down the sides. She was named Lucille, for obvious reasons.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes Lucille was in tune, sometimes not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1upbgyd9lo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jedit posted:

What chicken poo poo club owner kicks out BB King for playing too long???

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Like holy poo poo it's so dumb. He could've played got a week straight and I would've been honored to make sure I kept the lights on the whole time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I almost never listen to the radio, but when I do and it's a good song I always get annoyed because they inevitably start talking before the song is over. The outro is really important for a lot of songs, just shut up for five more seconds. I'm not really familiar with B.B. King but agreed that the club owner is a little bitch.

Which thread is this again, whatever it's PYF, let's all shout into the void

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wasabi the J posted:

What chicken poo poo club owner kicks out BB King for playing too long???

Sorry, club owner? This was a 15,000-seat arena.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Apparently the promoter does mind

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So who's the poor soul commanded by some soulless corporation to end a show of a living legend?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I was assuming some sort of lock-out law ?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jedit posted:

Sorry, club owner? This was a 15,000-seat arena.

This wouldn't happen to be Pine Knob in Michigan, which seats 15,000 and has a $1,000 a minute fine imposed by the city for playing past 11pm? If not, was it still an open air arena?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
A coworker of mine was from New Orleans and he went to a BB show at a newer club. Apparently the owner was a close friend of King's who had asked him to help drum up business and spread the word about his new joint. King took the stage, started throwing handfuls of gold chains into the crowd, and announced that everyone's next round of drinks was on him (probably around 300 people). Finally he shouted that the party was going till the cops showed up and played until until like 6am when a beat cop showed up to (in a very friendly joking manner) allow BB to retire for the performance.

This was King's idea of helping his buddy promote his new club. My coworker has the chain hanging in a frame on his wall.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

frankee posted:

there was also Photos of the surface of Venus

e:spelling

Funny story about that arm thing sticking out of the probe

quote:

...the lens cap popped off and landed directly underneath the mechanism for measuring soil compressibility, causing the craft to measure the compressibility of the titanium lens cap instead of the soil.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That must have been absolutely infuriating. :ughh:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Can anyone recommend any good space TV series? I've seen both Cosmos already

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Space: Above and Beyond or Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Should have specified I meant factual

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh.

Firefly then.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

For All Mankind is space adjacent, focusing on "lost" and archival footage of the Apollo missions that have been restored.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember From The Earth To The Moon being pretty decent. In the last episode Tom Hanks stars as Georges Méliès, director of Un Voyage Dans La Lune.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

The Farthest, about the two voyager probes that recently left our solar system.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs
The 2019 Apollo 11 documentary. No commentary; nothing but newly shared archival footage and mission control/Eagle audio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11_(2019_film)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Malachi Constant posted:

The Farthest, about the two voyager probes that recently left our solar system.

I read this as "The Fart Nest" at first and was disappointed when I found this was not so.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was going to ask what a "hest" was.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Should have specified I meant factual

BBC has a new documentary series called the planets airing this week

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was going to ask what a "hest" was.

FFXIV's got a free trial up to lvl 30, you can wrangle as many comically large tortoises as you'd like

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Not a series, but the first 30 seconds of Apollo 11's launch taken with a high speed camera stretched out to 8+ minutes, with commentary/explanations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPW7ZqtW5U4

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Beer_Suitcase posted:

For All Mankind is space adjacent, focusing on "lost" and archival footage of the Apollo missions that have been restored.

Apollo 11 from CNN Films is pretty much the same thing only dealing with the one in particular and little narration. Kinda ends up being the eight day mission condensed to 90 minutes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Screaming Idiot posted:

I read this as "The Fart Nest" at first and was disappointed when I found this was not so.

The fartist

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmGk2Eg8dFs

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

joat mon posted:

Not a series, but the first 30 seconds of Apollo 11's launch taken with a high speed camera stretched out to 8+ minutes, with commentary/explanations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPW7ZqtW5U4

oh holy gently caress

thank you so much

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

oh holy gently caress

thank you so much

Agreed.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Azhais posted:

Apparently the promoter does mind

I wanted to mention that I lol'ed @ this post

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Big dom energy as one other poster put it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Rogozin/status/1132970813790015489
https://www.sciencealert.com/watch-russia-s-soyuz-rocket-get-hit-by-lightning-mid-launch